Coronavirus Live Updates - Page 27
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus Live Updates

Here is a Ted Talk by a fellow named Larry Brilliant who is an expert on the subject of fighting pandemics.
    His advice for combating a pandemic is “early detection, early response.”
    From Mr. Brilliant’s experience as explained in the video, given the reduced numbers of tests in the USA, we should have a lot more folks carrying the virus than we know.

https://www.ted.com/talks/larry_bril...stop_pandemics

Post Thanks / Like

Bill Gates today:

"The U.S. is past this opportunity to control (COVID-19) without shutdown," Gates said during a TED Connects program broadcast online. "We did not act fast enough to have an ability to avoid the shutdown."

"It's very tough to say to people, 'Hey keep going to restaurants, go buy new houses, ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner, we want you to keep spending because there's some politician that thinks GDP growth is what counts,'" Gates said. "It's hard to tell people during an epidemic … that they should go about things knowing their activity is spreading this disease."

Tough position we are in.

Article here:

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/bill-ga...utdowns-closed

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Boris Lushniak, former U.S. Deputy Surgeon General, and current Dean of Maryland School of Public Health: the current outbreak numbers in the US probably represent the actual status maybe 10-15 days ago. But he also said, 80% of the cases show mild symptoms or no symptoms at all.

Further, an interesting epidemology study from Oxford University in the UK, arguing the spread has already happened in the country, and herd immunity in humans is building. According to the article they start testing now, trying to find support for the findings. If correct, quarantine measures could be reduced earlier than previously thought.

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-...f-41bea055720b

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Soulution 520 preamp with phono/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs/ Semi-active Lansche Audio 4.2 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ 2x Audioquest Thunder HD for LS/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

4. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Part of a every other day update email from my company just to show that there is a massive effort underway to find vaccines and medications that may help with this current situation. For the last 15 years, I have been conflicted to work within the Big Pharma Industry, but at this moment, I could not be prouder and happy to have the job I have right now.

-------

It’s been an extraordinary past few weeks. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to escalate, our world is facing challenges of a magnitude not seen before during our lifetimes.

As of Sunday, the number of coronavirus cases globally surged past 300,000 and while the situation varies regionally, we are seeing an increase in government-mandated quarantines and lockdowns where our offices are located.

We couldn’t be prouder of the work that Parexel is doing as an organization in support of the current pandemic. Parexel is contributing actively to the vaccine development efforts for COVID-19 while continuing to develop a broad range of therapies with the potential to change and save patient lives. Our efforts extend beyond our own organization to include collaboration on a harmonized risk-based monitoring approach aligned with regulatory agencies as part of the broader industry response being led through the Association of Clinical Research Organizations (ACRO).
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel 1072 CDP / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > JM Labs Tantal 509s > Tara Labs Cables

6. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, apdoc2004, joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did some back of the envelope calculations, based on epidemiological data from Iceland, which has tested a larger proportion of its population that any other country in the world by far. From that analysis, my hypothesis is that we have 6 to 7X as many people infected in the USA than is currently being reported, which at this moment, just ticked over 60,000. So, if we have the same proportion of cases that Iceland has per capita (and its a reasonable assumption to assume we do), we have presently anywhere from 350,000 to 480,000 individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 in the USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    I did some back of the envelope calculations, based on epidemiological data from Iceland, which has tested a larger proportion of its population that any other country in the world by far. From that analysis, my hypothesis is that we have 6 to 7X as many people infected in the USA than is currently being reported, which at this moment, just ticked over 60,000. So, if we have the same proportion of cases that Iceland has per capita (and its a reasonable assumption to assume we do), we have presently anywhere from 350,000 to 480,000 individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 in the USA.
    And anywhere between 349,000 and 478,000 that have recovered or had no symptoms. Lets start focusing on the good as opposed to the constant doom and gloom the media is feeding us.

From WHO
    Close to 800 000 people die due to suicide every year, which is one person every 40 seconds. Where is the outrage and panic?

Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.

Heart Disease in the United States
    About 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that's 1 in every 4 deaths. Heart disease costs the United States about $219 billion each year from 2014 to 2015. - Where is the outrage and panic?

In 2017, gun deaths reached their highest level since 1968 with 39,773 deaths by firearm, of which 23,854 were by suicide and 14,542 were homicides. The rate of firearm deaths per 100,000 people rose from 10.3 per 100,000 in 1999 to 12 per 100,000 in 2017, with 109 people dying per day.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000. - Why are we not shutting down the world over this?

Think about it, are we going a bit overboard here? In reality, as said before, we are all going to get this and move on before vaccines are ready. They will be good for your grand children at best. I agree people need to be clean and smart, but I don't think we should be shutting down the whole world economy over this if we are not going to do the same for all the items I just listed. And, now that it was done, expect a market crash every time something new comes down the pike that is not nearly as deadly as the items listed above. Each issue caused more deaths per year than this Virus will cause and nobody seems outraged or panicked....maybe because the media did not tell you to panic?

We are going to have more Suicides and murders out of an economy shutdown than the Virus also as desperate people become more desperate.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel 1072 CDP / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > JM Labs Tantal 509s > Tara Labs Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    And anywhere between 349,000 and 478,000 that have recovered or had no symptoms. Lets start focusing on the good as opposed to the constant doom and gloom the media is feeding us.

From WHO
    Close to 800 000 people die due to suicide every year, which is one person every 40 seconds. Where is the outrage and panic?

Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.

Heart Disease in the United States
    About 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that's 1 in every 4 deaths. Heart disease costs the United States about $219 billion each year from 2014 to 2015. - Where is the outrage and panic?

In 2017, gun deaths reached their highest level since 1968 with 39,773 deaths by firearm, of which 23,854 were by suicide and 14,542 were homicides. The rate of firearm deaths per 100,000 people rose from 10.3 per 100,000 in 1999 to 12 per 100,000 in 2017, with 109 people dying per day.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000. - Why are we not shutting down the world over this?

Think about it, are we going a bit overboard here? In reality, as said before, we are all going to get this and move on before vaccines are ready. They will be good for your grand children at best. I agree people need to be clean and smart, but I don't think we should be shutting down the whole world economy over this if we are not going to do the same for all the items I just listed. And, now that it was done, expect a market crash every time something new comes down the pike that is not nearly as deadly as the items listed above. Each issue caused more deaths per year than this Virus will cause and nobody seems outraged or panicked....maybe because the media did not tell you to panic?

We are going to have more Suicides and murders out of an economy shutdown than the Virus also as desperate people become more desperate.
    This has been my consideration. In our mobile, gregarious, society, its well nigh impossible to stop these viruses, which is why we have not stopped society, every year, for flu season. The loss of productivity for this work stoppage period, will be a huge hit. Much larger damage that this virus.

People do seem to be reacting individually to the virus though. Obviously the folk with unhealthy issues are at great risk. However, some of the deaths have been to healthy people too.

I use the "risks of driving your car on the freeway" all the time when discussing risk/benefits with people. No one thinks twice about getting in a car, and driving fast on the freeway, surrounded by other maniacs out for a ride. Start a new, well tolerated medicine..., now let me check with Google first.
    Amp : McIntosh MC60 mono amps
    Digital : Bricasti M12, Oppo 203
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, DIY K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp
    Speakers : Zu Audio Druid V
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

10. Likes Shadowfax liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thing none of the posters here can actually affect our country's actions in response to this situation
    Rob

Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
    Pass Labs INT60
    Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
    REL S3
    Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
    Torus IS5

12. Thanks apdoc2004 thanked for this post
    Likes kzhtoo, apdoc2004, Mr Peabody, Calvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coronavirus Live Updates

Misinterpreted. Deleted.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Today’s issue of USA Today has another (after CNN’s) Q & A with Dr. Frieden. IMHO, everyone here should read it and take note of the unknowns as well as the recommendations based on what we do know.
    Rob

Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
    Pass Labs INT60
    Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
    REL S3
    Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
    Torus IS5

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast