Network switch, FMC, cable upgrades worthwhile when router can't be co-located?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Network switch, FMC, cable upgrades worthwhile when router can't be co-located?

Hi All,

Long-time lurker first post here, have very much appreciated all of the great discussion.

I'm looking to add high-quality internet streaming to my predominantly vinyl and spinning disc digital 2-channel system. After much skepticism I've come around on the potential SQ impact of quality network switches, FMC, cabling etc. I'd like to upgrade appropriately.

But my home is arranged such that the ISP router can only be located in an equipment room that is separated from the listening area by approximately 250 feet of cat5e in-wall cabling.

Given these limitations to the source network signal, is there any gain to be had from upgrading cabling, switches etc starting from the wall jack in my listening room?

If of interest, the primary options I'm considering are a dCS Bartok, MSB Premiere+Renderer, or an Innuos Zenith MK3 feeding either an ADI-2 DAC or the DAC built in to my McIntosh MCD500.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Network switch, FMC, cable upgrades worthwhile when router can't be co-located?

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Network switch, FMC, cable upgrades worthwhile when router can't be co-located?

Data signals are 1's and 0's. It either works or doesn't.

I upgraded to a faster gaming router and switch just to offset any potential delays in streaming high res files from my NAS. But networking equipment isn't going to improve the sound.

I was a Cisco network certified administrator and designer in college. Just didn't follow that career path.

Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 28b3s, Bryston 4b3, Bryston 9bsst2
    Digital: EMM NS1, EMM DA2
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c, Kef Ci200RR-THX (surround/back)
    Subs: Two JL Audio F212v2
    Power: PS Audio PS10, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks
    Video: Oppo 203, LG 65inch OLED
    -Kyle

4. Likes nicoff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve answered this question Lots of times as it comes up a lot. I’m not blaming you lol. You need a network extender which has WiFi capability to link to your router ie Ariels like your router. Then it has Ethernet sockets too. So you connect your streamer to it like it’s your router and you can put it with your HiFi. In that sense the extender works like a lan without all the cabling and it will be as fast as your internet if you get a half decent one. I use net gear nighthawk. Avoid switches if you can as they inject Hf noise from their cheap power supplies. Use a good quality short Ethernet cable from your extender and job done. I’ve reviewed the Bartok, Zenith albeit mk2 which I own and I have an Adi2 dac fs at the moment. Check my website out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post

I upgraded to a faster gaming router and switch just to offset any potential delays in streaming high res files from my NAS. But networking equipment isn't going to improve the sound.

I was a Cisco network certified administrator and designer in college. Just didn't follow that career path.

it will because of the analogue effects of noise on the digital cable and if you use rubbish NAS drives with cheap switchers built for PCs and it degrades the sound. Not a lot or at all in some budget systems but a good amount in others.

7. Likes FDPDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about bypassing all the cat 5 ethernet cable and use fmcs and fiber to connect from your router to listening room?

You might want to peruse this thread at What's Best Forum. It has some good information. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...-modems.30094/
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Luxman 300q power amp Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    How about bypassing all the cat 5 ethernet cable and use fmcs and fiber to connect from your router to listening room?

You might want to peruse this thread at What's Best Forum. It has some good information. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...-modems.30094/
    very complex, the extender idea can be done cheaply and adequately for purpose. I’ve run all sorts of digital streaming DACs and servers off mine no probs. Don’t need messy power line, installing ducts and messing about. Original reason I got mine was to avoid drilling through walls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post

Not true. First, digital signals are transmitted as an analog signal. As the analog signal to digital signal is reconstructed by any gear in the path the rise and fall time can be skewed. This doesn’t affect data, but puts jitter into musical data.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

11. Likes FDPDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Not true. First, digital signals are transmitted as an analog signal. As the analog signal to digital signal is reconstructed by any gear in the path the rise and fall time can be skewed. This doesn’t affect data, but puts jitter into musical data.
    Here is a technical explanation on why even if digital signals are being transmitted as analog in the end it does not really matter. Blog post also explains why jitter is really not a big issue when using modern digital equipment.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/0...-lets-not.html

13. Likes BlueFox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Here is a technical explanation on why even if digital signals are being transmitted as analog in the end it does not really matter. Blog post also explains why jitter is really not a big issue when using modern digital equipment.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/0...-lets-not.html
    nobody who knows anything about HiFi believes that guy. Blue fox dead right here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast