Are subwoofers bad for music? - Page 8
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are subwoofers bad for music?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    This may help you...

I'd have to find a white paper or something to explain motor structure etc. I don't feel that helpful at this point, LOL Just out of time.
    I've read that absolute sound article before and the 2nd article couldn't have said it better. I 100% agree and the author seems to also agree that "fast" and "slow" bass have nothing to do with speed and there are many different possible causes for this perception.

"Fast" or "slow" bass is not the right terminology. The author describes poor integration between midrange and woofer causing distortion. He emphasizes this has nothing to do with the woofer's quality but moreso to do with the integration or mismatches between the amplifiers. I'd also add that resonances and amplifier clipping can cause this perception.

Actually reading that article really points how absurd it is what REL has written on their webpage.

Post Thanks / Like

"Wooly", which I can hear from an amp into a 2 way speaker let alone a sub, "loose" like wrong way with lefty loosy & righty tighty, not the neighbor when you were a young-un but someone did the "nut" up wrong way huh, relaxed, not-coherent, un-resolving.... sounds like the mother in-laws logic, bit fuzzy.....
    Come on! Most of the guys on this site have enough credibility & experience to be able to hear the difference between room & speed of delivery,....
    If you can't, it's alright.....

3. Likes Mechnutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly, many spkrs can play down to the 20-40hz range and you can “hear” that, but with properly integrated subs (at least two) that same range is a totally different experience, not even close.

At THAT point its personal preference imho. Much of that integration has so much to do with the room + acoustics, which inevitably is the most difficult freq range to deal with. Do it right, no comparison. Do it wrong, ewe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Main: High end Win10 wkst (headless) running lifetime ROON server w/HQP > Fiber Switch > QNAP NAS > Fiber to mU, sbooster vbus2 > Lampi Lite7 > Atma-Sphere MP-3 Pre > Pass XA100.5 Mono's > Revel Ultima Studio2
    Dual PSA X15 subs
    ROON Controller > HP 2in1 13"
    Components on custom roller bearings / inner-tube (Barry D)

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > Yamaha RX integrated > Infinity Primus Monitors >12" sub

5. Likes Jim Smith, the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Magico A3's go down to 22hz and give a very solid bass to midbass. When I turn on my twin SVS 1000 sealed subs I hear drums, pianos, standup bass with more weight and body to the instruments. My preamp has stereo sub outs and I set the A3's to full and the subs are set at 160 hz. Much higher than my usual setup with other speaker I have used with subs. I've used stands under my subs to decouple them from the floor. In home theater to keep things from rattling using sub stands can reduce external noise and falling objects. Today I removed the sub stands just to hear any changes in just a music setup. Now, I notice the instruments anchored and placed with weight and body. Ya gotta love this hobby.

7. Likes DrGjerdesmett, Mike, the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    Today I removed the sub stands just to hear any changes in just a music setup. Now, I notice the instruments anchored and placed with weight and body. Ya gotta love this hobby.
    That's the exact opposite of what's supposed to happen when taking the stands away.

The difference that you said you heard is what you're supposed to notice with the subwoofer stands in place.
    Charles
    Preamp | Amplifiers: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC | Schiit Mani | PS Audio Stellar M700 x 2
    Sources: Bluesound Node 2, Roku Ultra, Music Hall MMF-7.3 w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze
    Speakers | Subwoofers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 | JL Audio e110 x 2
    Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio, APC
    Cables:
    AudioQuest, Wireworld, Pangea Audio, Mojo Audio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...I heard JL subs at a clients with his S7’s and it was superb. Seamless in fact.

Now Magico subs with Magico would be the ultimate!
    Sub 1.JPG
    Sub 2.JPG
    Howard

Pass Labs XS 300's, XS Pre, XVR-1 | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 MQA, Alpha USB | Aurender N10, ACS10 | Magico S7's with MPOD's, QSub 15 x 2 | Shunyata Denali 2000T x 2 with Sigma HC | Audience aR6-TS | MIT Heritage and Oracle Interconnects and speaker cables | Critical Mass Maxxum rack | Resolution Acoustics custom room treatments

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Howard,

Are those Q15 subwoofers tucked in back there? Congratulations!!! With the S7’s and Q15’s, you must be experiencing some awesome bass.

Enjoy,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Howard,

Are those Q15 subwoofers tucked in back there? Congratulations!!! With the S7’s and Q15’s, you must be experiencing some awesome bass.

Enjoy,
    Ken
    Yeah, QSub 15's. Just starting to dial them in myself... proper setup won't happen until next week. Even without break in, still on wheels, and without proper setup you can tell that there is greatness here. Sometimes you don't realize what you're missing until you hear it.

As good as the JLA F112s were, they were child's toys compared to these monsters.

Scared the crap out of myself listening to Metallica's Enter Sandman.
    Howard

Pass Labs XS 300's, XS Pre, XVR-1 | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 MQA, Alpha USB | Aurender N10, ACS10 | Magico S7's with MPOD's, QSub 15 x 2 | Shunyata Denali 2000T x 2 with Sigma HC | Audience aR6-TS | MIT Heritage and Oracle Interconnects and speaker cables | Critical Mass Maxxum rack | Resolution Acoustics custom room treatments

12. Likes the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
    Yeah, QSub 15's. Just starting to dial them in myself... proper setup won't happen until next week. Even without break in, still on wheels, and without proper setup you can tell that there is greatness here. Sometimes you don't realize what you're missing until you hear it.

As good as the JLA F112s were, they were child's toys compared to these monsters.

Scared the crap out of myself listening to Metallica's Enter Sandman.
    My favorite song! Try "Nothing Else Matters" as well. Starts off slow then BOOM.

Would love to hear the system!
    Dedicated Power Lines > Two APC S15s
    Aurender N100H > Cary DAC 200ts > Mytek Brooklyn > Audio Research Ref 6
    Speakers - Soundfield 1812 Signature Reference (all active with DSP and open baffles) > Extra Two Rhythmik 15s for the neighbors....

14. Likes bzr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    My favorite song! Try "Nothing Else Matters" as well. Starts off slow then BOOM.

Would love to hear the system!
    You're always welcome bud!
    Howard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast