What can do more than anything to improve your room & speakers? FIR filters maybe?

So I asked Google AI for a brief, layman's explanation of a FIR filter and the effect it delivers; I totally agree with the "Sonic Effects" it lists ...

Google AI Overview explanation ...

An FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filter is a digital audio processing tool used in high-end DACs and digital crossovers to shape sound by modifying frequency components. Unlike older analog or IIR (Infinite Impulse Response) digital filters, an FIR filter operates by processing a fixed, finite history of the digital audio samples.

Core Advantages
  • Linear Phase Response: FIR filters can alter frequency response without shifting the timing (phase) of different frequencies. This prevents phase distortion, keeping high and low frequencies perfectly aligned in time.
  • Perfect Impulse Response: They eliminate "post-ringing" (artifacts that blur the sound immediately after a transient hit), resulting in incredibly crisp, distinct musical notes.
  • Guaranteed Stability: Because they do not use a feedback loop, FIR filters can never become unstable or cause accidental oscillation/howling.

Sonic Effects (What You Hear)
  • Laser-Sharp Soundstaging: By preserving absolute phase alignment, the physical placement of instruments and vocals in the virtual stereo image feels incredibly precise and holographic.
  • Tight, Realistic Transients: The sharp attack of a drum hit or a plucked string sounds immediate and natural, without any artificial smearing or muddy overhang.
  • High-Frequency Clarity: Cymbals, air, and room acoustics sound cleaner and less "digital" or fatigued, because the filter doesn't introduce time-domain errors in the treble.
 
So I asked Google AI for a brief, layman's explanation of a FIR filter and the effect it delivers; I totally agree with the "Sonic Effects" it lists ...

Google AI Overview explanation ...

An FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filter is a digital audio processing tool used in high-end DACs and digital crossovers to shape sound by modifying frequency components. Unlike older analog or IIR (Infinite Impulse Response) digital filters, an FIR filter operates by processing a fixed, finite history of the digital audio samples.

Core Advantages
  • Linear Phase Response: FIR filters can alter frequency response without shifting the timing (phase) of different frequencies. This prevents phase distortion, keeping high and low frequencies perfectly aligned in time.
  • Perfect Impulse Response: They eliminate "post-ringing" (artifacts that blur the sound immediately after a transient hit), resulting in incredibly crisp, distinct musical notes.
  • Guaranteed Stability: Because they do not use a feedback loop, FIR filters can never become unstable or cause accidental oscillation/howling.

Sonic Effects (What You Hear)
  • Laser-Sharp Soundstaging: By preserving absolute phase alignment, the physical placement of instruments and vocals in the virtual stereo image feels incredibly precise and holographic.
  • Tight, Realistic Transients: The sharp attack of a drum hit or a plucked string sounds immediate and natural, without any artificial smearing or muddy overhang.
  • High-Frequency Clarity: Cymbals, air, and room acoustics sound cleaner and less "digital" or fatigued, because the filter doesn't introduce time-domain errors in the treble.


You left out this part:

"Poor Low-Frequency Resolution: To accurately correct phase or shape responses at low frequencies, an extremely long filter (thousands of taps) is required. Trying to apply deep low-frequency FIR correction causes massive latency spikes that make them impractical for sub-bass ranges. [1, 2]"
 
You left out this part:

"Poor Low-Frequency Resolution: To accurately correct phase or shape responses at low frequencies, an extremely long filter (thousands of taps) is required. Trying to apply deep low-frequency FIR correction causes massive latency spikes that make them impractical for sub-bass ranges. [1, 2]"

Interesting, though I personally haven't had any issues with low frequency response. I do use EQ to cut bass below 20 Hz; maybe that has something to do with it.

BTW, I didn't "leave out" anything that AI Outline gave me.
 
Interesting, though I personally haven't had any issues with low frequency response. I do use EQ to cut bass below 20 Hz; maybe that has something to do with it.

BTW, I didn't "leave out" anything that AI Outline gave me.

I used the same Google AI that you used.
 
I used the same Google AI that you used.

So I guess one of us got lucky. AI response very much depends on how we frame the question.

In fact, as mentioned in my 2nd post above, bass improvement was probably the most immediately & obvious result of my applying the Gsonic FIR filter. I'd guess that my bass improvement was because of much better subwoofer integration.

I still emphatically suggest trying a Gsonic FIR filter; I suspect that most of us would find bass improved rather than the opposite.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top