*NEW* Esoteric N-05XD

Hi everyone,


I’m considering purchasing an Esoteric N-05XD in the 120V version, but I need to use it on a 220–230V mains supply.


I contacted Esoteric directly and, according to their support, they do not support or recommend converting the unit’s operating voltage internally.


However, I’d like to know if any N-05XD owner or technician here has actual experience with this. Has anyone successfully converted an N-05XD from 120V to 220/230V internally?


I’m particularly interested in knowing whether the power supply/transformer has different internal taps or connections for the various voltage versions, or whether the 120V and 230V models use different transformers or other specific components.


Any firsthand experience, internal photos, service information, or technical details would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks!
 
Hi everyone,


I’m considering purchasing an Esoteric N-05XD in the 120V version, but I need to use it on a 220–230V mains supply.


I contacted Esoteric directly and, according to their support, they do not support or recommend converting the unit’s operating voltage internally.


However, I’d like to know if any N-05XD owner or technician here has actual experience with this. Has anyone successfully converted an N-05XD from 120V to 220/230V internally?


I’m particularly interested in knowing whether the power supply/transformer has different internal taps or connections for the various voltage versions, or whether the 120V and 230V models use different transformers or other specific components.


Any firsthand experience, internal photos, service information, or technical details would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks!


Just curious why not buy a 220v to begin with? Most people who have 110v and move to another country with 220v use an external step up or down transformer, depending on which way you are going. I'm sure if professionally done they would know this but 220v is also 50 Hz where 110v is 60 Hz.

Just my .02 I'd follow Esoteric's guidance.
 
I'd also say that if the transformer had an internal voltage switch, Esoteric should be happy for it to be switched from 110 to 240V. It is unusual these days for kit not to be user-switchable, but if different transformer windings are used, then a change in transformer is one solution, or an external voltage generatot, although I'd not recommend these with audio kit. Their accuracy is not great and added noise may be a problem. An alternative is battery and inverter for the voltage you need, but again less than ideal.
 
Just curious why not buy a 220v to begin with? Most people who have 110v and move to another country with 220v use an external step up or down transformer, depending on which way you are going. I'm sure if professionally done they would know this but 220v is also 50 Hz where 110v is 60 Hz.

Just my .02 I'd follow Esoteric's guidance.
I’m in touch with Esoteric.

The situation is that here in Brazil, we have something rare elsewhere: some cities have 120V grids while others have 220V (all at 60Hz). My distributor still has the N-05XD in stock, and I can get it at an excellent price, but only in the 120V version.

Support stated they don't authorize conversions—to prevent units intended for one continent from migrating to another due to pricing policies—which makes sense. When I mentioned I was in Brazil, they understood and are looking into how they can help; I’m currently waiting to hear back from them.

Initially, I’ll use a transformer, though it’s something I try to avoid as much as possible in the power chain dedicated to the stereo system.
 
I'd also say that if the transformer had an internal voltage switch, Esoteric should be happy for it to be switched from 110 to 240V. It is unusual these days for kit not to be user-switchable, but if different transformer windings are used, then a change in transformer is one solution, or an external voltage generatot, although I'd not recommend these with audio kit. Their accuracy is not great and added noise may be a problem. An alternative is battery and inverter for the voltage you need, but again less than ideal.
I agree with you; since the unit has a relatively complex circuit, I prefer to exhaust all avenues of guidance from the manufacturer before taking it to my technician to check. Let's see what Esoteric comes back with—I believe this is a relatively new situation for them, as they’ve forwarded the inquiry to headquarters in Tokyo to review the case. The unit should arrive in the next few days.
 
I’m in touch with Esoteric.

The situation is that here in Brazil, we have something rare elsewhere: some cities have 120V grids while others have 220V (all at 60Hz). My distributor still has the N-05XD in stock, and I can get it at an excellent price, but only in the 120V version.

Support stated they don't authorize conversions—to prevent units intended for one continent from migrating to another due to pricing policies—which makes sense. When I mentioned I was in Brazil, they understood and are looking into how they can help; I’m currently waiting to hear back from them.

Initially, I’ll use a transformer, though it’s something I try to avoid as much as possible in the power chain dedicated to the stereo system.
Best to have patience and work with Esoteric to get the unit right. The transformer is a viable workaround. Good luck!
 
I’m in touch with Esoteric.

The situation is that here in Brazil, we have something rare elsewhere: some cities have 120V grids while others have 220V (all at 60Hz). My distributor still has the N-05XD in stock, and I can get it at an excellent price, but only in the 120V version.

Support stated they don't authorize conversions—to prevent units intended for one continent from migrating to another due to pricing policies—which makes sense. When I mentioned I was in Brazil, they understood and are looking into how they can help; I’m currently waiting to hear back from them.

Initially, I’ll use a transformer, though it’s something I try to avoid as much as possible in the power chain dedicated to the stereo system.
SoulSound, I have a solution to your problem: Buy the 120V version and move to the U.S. Problem solved! ;-)
 
Back
Top