And now for something completely different

W9TR

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
811
Location
The Neutral Zone
I picked up this Apos Druid DAC on a whim for my headphone setup. $160 for a modern R2R DAC that sounds better than it has any right to. Is it a giant killer? I don’t think so. That’s an overused trope anyway.

Is it worth $160? Yes, definitely. It sounds surprisingly good.

It has a lively and vibrant character that improves with time. The ‘science fair’ look and lack of a true case will be offputting to many. Anybody who has built anything audio knows most of the product cost is in the casework and power supply. This eliminates both with no case and an inexpensive switcher you can easily replace with a linear power supply.

Fully balanced XLR outputs on back, along with the power and USB C input.
Amber LED’s emit a nice warm glow and can be disabled. R-2R network surrounds custom DAC chip.
You can roll the socketed output driver IC’s.

This is a great way to introduce someone to digital sound for a very reasonable price. They have a companion tube/SS headphone amp I have ordered.

IMG_0663.jpeg
 
Any shielding it has would be on the PWB itself. Far from the die cast or machined enclosures so common in high end gear.
 
You can get an SMSL DAC for a lot less, under $50. But then you’d have an SMSL DAC using an ESS delta-sigma converter and you’d have to figure out what to do with it because it sounds like every other ESS DAC.

Or you could get a Schiit Modi 5 for the same money as the Druid and have something that sounds good and you can recommend it to others.

The Druid sounds very good, and is R2R which I prefer over delta-sigma. Take a chance, see what you think. I am always looking for ways to get folks hooked on good sound for not much money. IMO this will do it.

It’s kind of like the sub $100 IEM market. It is flooded with junk and a few gems. You just have to find the gems.
 
Last edited:
You can get an SMSL DAC for a lot less, under $50. But then you’d have an SMSL DAC using an ESS delta-sigma converter and you’d have to figure out what to do with it because it sounds like every other ESS DAC.

Or you could get a Schiit Modi 5 for the same money as the Druid and have something that sounds good and you can recommend it to others.

The Druid sounds very good, and is R2R which I prefer over delta-sigma. Take a chance, see what you think. I am always looking for ways to get folks hooked on good sound for not much money. IMO this will do it.

It’s kind of like the sub $100 IEM market. It is flooded with junk and a few gems. You just have to find the gems.
Paired with the Fosi V3 I just posted about helps to create a very inexpensive, small footprint setup for kids, beginners, or just for a place you need sound.
 
These are the good old days for inexpensive but decent audio gear. Lots of unique items to choose from.
 
A week ago the companion Apos Audio Gremlin headphone amp arrived. I’ve had a chance to listen to it over the past week. Like the Druid DAC that’s driving it, I’m finding it is a capable and engaging headphone amplifier. I especially like its natural timbre and effortless drive. It has enough grunt to drive my LCD-4 ‘phones. Micro and macro detail are there in spades.

This is a hybrid tube-SS design having tube gain stages and a solid state class A output stage.

It's quiet enough that even with sensitive IEM’s background tube noise is inaudible. It is fully balanced input to output, so you need a 4 pin balanced headphone cable and a balanced source, like its companion DAC.

I just bought another set for my son who lives in an apartment and listens exclusively to headphones.

IMG_0841.jpeg

I have tried a bunch of relatively inexpensive DAC’s and headphone amps from the likes of Topping, SMSL, Fosi, etc. They have all been returned after listening for a few weeks. They sounded ok at first but didn’t hold up to extended listening. Most use the ubiquitous ESS 90xx delta-sigma DAC’s which I don’t particularly like. The ones with the AKM chips have better timbre but lack in micro detail.

For less than $300 shipped this is the best inexpensive DAC/headphone amp combo I’ve come across.
 
I also prefer AKM, and R2R DACs. I find most ESS DACs a bit clinical, unless the output stage is well done. Some don’t like the relaxed manner of the AKM lineup, but I find it much less fatiguing when actually listening to music.
 
I also prefer AKM, and R2R DACs. I find most ESS DACs a bit clinical, unless the output stage is well done. Some don’t like the relaxed manner of the AKM lineup, but I find it much less fatiguing when actually listening to music.
I also think the AKM chips sound good when properly implemented. I have a McIntosh MCD 1100 that uses 8 of the ESS chips in a balanced arrangement. It is the best sounding ESS implementation I’ve heard to date. The thing that gets me is cymbals. With most ESS based DAC’s cymbals lose their character so I can’t tell the brand; Sabian, Zildjian, and Paiste all have distinctive tone and decay. They all sound the same with ESS, almost like they do with MP3.
 
Back
Top