What Music Server and Dac Will Out Perform My Turntable and Phono Preamp - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Music Server and Dac Will Out Perform My Turntable and Phono Preamp

rockna wavedream net with siganture dac. just incredible sound: detailed and flowing.

i would also agree with Mike re msb...i haven't tried msb in my system but every rig i've heard based on an msb source has had full bodied tone and exceptional space and staging.

regarding both the rockna and the msb, don't let the "full bodied" put you off - it did for me originally as i interpreted that as a lack of detail. the detail is there and easy to hear but you will probably find yourself so enchanted by the organic rendering of vocals that the micro details just wont matter all that much (my experience at least!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Paul

In the end even after an upgrade to your digital you may still always prefer the sound of your analog rig as many do. It's going to come down to if you get it close will the convenience over time win out. You can start by exploring an upgrade on the streamer side with the Bryston and see what that gets you. I would stay with one of the major brands if re-sale is a concern. To me that would be the Auralic Aries G2, Innuous Zenith Mk III, Lumin U1 and whatever the comparable current Aurender model is. They all sound slightly different as they have different opinions about what things are most important but in the end it may be more important which model has the features, connections and software that you prefer. DACs are a more personal thing like speakers so unless you have the opportunity to try a bunch of them in your system from the local dealers you will have to find a sound profile that appeals to you from reviews or other audiophiles and chose from the models in that group. But in the end with the abundance of different models out there you can find a combo that appeals to you without the outlay of a top flight vinyl rig and gets you close but you may still be over five figures for the combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    From my experience and at our level no server and DAC will outperform a turntable and phono - it is two completely different approaches, and both serve equal purposes, playing music.

Then comes the recording, IMO the most important attribute. Listening to an album produced and recorded in its native format should tell you what to select on you preamp for listening pleasure.

Personally I enjoy playing and listening to records since adding analog, but still play and enjoy my digital.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I think you are both right. To me vinyl is just so much more natural and involving. The loudness wars donít help the digit cause either. (Bring back the dynamics) My original post was to find out if there was such a digital combination out there that would rival or best vinyl. Iíve never had the opportunity to listen to the best digital has to offer in my system.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Preamp: PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Bryston BDA-3 Music Server: ​Aurender N100H
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Eclipse 7 (I) Wireworld Eclipse 6 and 7 Biwired (S) Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB) AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

3. Likes UltraFast69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Paul

In the end even after an upgrade to your digital you may still always prefer the sound of your analog rig as many do. It's going to come down to if you get it close will the convenience over time win out. You can start by exploring an upgrade on the streamer side with the Bryston and see what that gets you. I would stay with one of the major brands if re-sale is a concern. To me that would be the Auralic Aries G2, Innuous Zenith Mk III, Lumin U1 and whatever the comparable current Aurender model is. They all sound slightly different as they have different opinions about what things are most important but in the end it may be more important which model has the features, connections and software that you prefer. DACs are a more personal thing like speakers so unless you have the opportunity to try a bunch of them in your system from the local dealers you will have to find a sound profile that appeals to you from reviews or other audiophiles and chose from the models in that group. But in the end with the abundance of different models out there you can find a combo that appeals to you without the outlay of a top flight vinyl rig and gets you close but you may still be over five figures for the combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    From my experience and at our level no server and DAC will outperform a turntable and phono - it is two completely different approaches, and both serve equal purposes, playing music.

Then comes the recording, IMO the most important attribute. Listening to an album produced and recorded in its native format should tell you what to select on you preamp for listening pleasure.

Personally I enjoy playing and listening to records since adding analog, but still play and enjoy my digital.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    you have a solid vinyl rig....really pretty good depending on your set-up skills. so it will take a formidable digital set-up to even equal, or possibly take you further, musically. but with vinyl so much depends on your collection of pressings, and your intentions of pursuing top level performances and pressings. if you have lots of great sounding pressings, 45rpm and direct to disc pressings, and have good performances, digital ultimately can't quite touch that. no matter how good......and i know how good digital can get.

so your question is as much about what music you want to pursue, as your gear. digital has an unlimited access to lots of music. but it's not the best way to hear golden age classical, jazz and rock. so investing in high level digital is a commitment to the music best heard that way. or double down on the vinyl you want.

just my 2 cents.

i use MSB and would recommend the Reference level MSB for a dac, or the Premier if that is too rich.

for servers, i use the SGM Extreme and love it; it's fantastic but it's price is up there; so i would differ to others about more moderate priced servers. but if you want the best performing server.....that is the one i have and could not recommend it more highly. it will get digital closest to vinyl.
    Thanks Mike....I do have some outstanding pressings and performances of almost every genre in my 4000 or so LPís. My setup skills are ok being that Iíve been doing this for about 45 of my 62 years on the planet but Iím sure they could be better.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Preamp: PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Bryston BDA-3 Music Server: ​Aurender N100H
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Eclipse 7 (I) Wireworld Eclipse 6 and 7 Biwired (S) Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB) AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

5. Likes UltraFast69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Finding a digital setup to "beat" the sound of a good LP rig is like trying to find an apple to beat the taste of an orange. The question would be better framed by asking what digital rig will bring you listening pleasure on a similar scale to what your analog rig brings you. I'm constantly amazed at how good digital can sound, but switching over to LP or tape always puts things back in perspective.

The one area that digital "beats" analog is the pure convenience of streaming. It's like having a digital jukebox that contains the music of the world and you control it all with your iPad. It still won't sound like analog, but it sure can be appreciated for how good it does sound.
    Well said! Thatís what Iím looking for. Is it out there? Will I have to take out a second mortgage to get there?
    Paul

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    Well said! Thatís what Iím looking for. Is it out there? Will I have to take out a second mortgage to get there?
    No, not beat, but just as enjoyable. MSB Discrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

8. Likes a.wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No, not beat, but just as enjoyable. MSB Discrete.

Thanks Mike! I will definitely have to give the MSB Discrete a listen!!
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

While I know msb is a great digital front end choice I have to say it’s a one trick pony of sorts
    a lampizator be it TRP or GG2 or flagship PAC all roll tubes. And while this may seem complex it’s not and very needed. Above is a comment on the weight of music. Not too much or not too little. This is in part what makes the lampizator line up a Chamaeleon of sorts in sound scape.
    When Myles of audionirvana was kind enough to come to my place. I Dialed in tjr stage he liked by a simple tube roll. there are many aspects to gdt our systems to be what we need or want. Tube rolling gives us this. once you get bitten by one tube roll and your music is all new again it’s near impossible to go back to a one sound digital front end. And I know some say there is only one correct sound but as we all know I’ll be picking it out not a company who feels this is best for me.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33
    Bespoke Windows Server 2016 server with AO
    Infinity IRS-V speakers with Xover redone by Arie Nudell.
    Dac lampi Pac and GG2.

11. Thanks Golum thanked for this post
    Likes Golum, jadedavid, a.wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alrainbow View Post
    While I know msb is a great digital front end choice I have to say it’s a one trick pony of sorts
    One trick pony? They are industry leading in every single area. Separate high-end digital and analog power supplies, in-house Femto clock technology, multiple in-house custom designed ladder DACs with custom cut resistors, in-house designed cutting-edge digital input modules that are Roon endpoints and even use proprietary optical connections. Their technology is years ahead of the competition.

Like calling Secretariat a one trick pony.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock, Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000ís with Analysis Plus Ultimate Power Ovals

13. Likes Mike, a.wayne, kzhtoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A simple question.
    Can you change the sound scape , stage width and depth ? Can you change the level of details , amount of weight ? For anyone who loves analog as I do you need a digital front end to vary for a given system. I owned an msb stack. I agree industry leader but it’s fixed or locked to a given sound by someone who feels it’s perfect for all. This leaves a given user to roll expense cables , preamps and so on. I’m not kicking msb but I am making a common sense conclusion.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33
    Bespoke Windows Server 2016 server with AO
    Infinity IRS-V speakers with Xover redone by Arie Nudell.
    Dac lampi Pac and GG2.

15. Thanks Golum thanked for this post
    Likes Golum, a.wayne liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

What Music Server and Dac Will Out Perform My Turntable and Phono Preamp

You only change the sound of your DAC when you donít love something. I never think about changing a thing with the MSB Select II playing. Itís perfect.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

17. Likes Alpinist, a.wayne, kzhtoo liked this post

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast