Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    I read the full product description of the EtherREGEN on the Uptone website last night. What surprised me was in the displayed setup diagram, the EtherREGEN is not even being used as a switch, just as an isolator/filter and reclocker. The diagram shows the router, server and NAS still all connected to the regular network switch. In fact, it even states that connecting these items to the EtherREGEN rather than the regular network switch wouldn’t make much difference. So this raises the question, is the EtherREGEN really an audiophile switch? If not, audiophile switches such as the AQVOX SE or SOTM could replace the regular network switch and be used in conjunction with the EtherREGEN.

Ken
    Perhaps that’s why I struggled with it on its first placement and chose the setup that’s running now.

If the case, that may partially explain why it was not outperforming the original AQVox SE setup.

In its current position it’s passing my listening test as mentioned above but uses LPS and Grounding to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 amp breakers within a grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF packages | Keces P3 & P8 | Surge Guard at Main Panel | ADD POWR series
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Gläss

Post Thanks / Like

I read the full product description of the EtherREGEN on the Uptone website last night. What surprised me was in the displayed setup diagram, the EtherREGEN is not even being used as a switch, just as an isolator/filter and reclocker. The diagram shows the router, server and NAS still all connected to the regular network switch. In fact, it even states that connecting these items to the EtherREGEN rather than the regular network switch wouldn’t make much difference. So this raises the question, is the EtherREGEN really an audiophile switch? If not, audiophile switches such as the AQVOX SE or SOTM could replace the regular network switch and be used in conjunction with the EtherREGEN.

Ken
    Hi Ken,
    The way I use I connect AppleTV and Roon Nucleus to the ports on “A” side. The lone “B” side port goes to my Gigafoil. I do not have NAS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Hi Ken,
    The way I use I connect AppleTV and Roon Nucleus to the ports on “A” side. The lone “B” side port goes to my Gigafoil. I do not have NAS.
    One thing I meant to say, but did not, is I do notice visual improvement on AppleTV. Uptone also mentions in a small booklet that came with ER that even “A” side ports isolation is better than off-the-shelf switches. Apparently if you have NAS, one of “A” side ports can be used.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I meant to say, but did not, is I do notice visual improvement on AppleTV. Uptone also mentions in a small booklet that came with ER that even “A” side ports isolation is better than off-the-shelf switches. Apparently if you have NAS, one of “A” side ports can be used.
    I guess if I decide to purchase the EtherREGEN, I will utilize its “A” LAN ports for my NetGear Nighthawk Router, Roon Nucleus Plus and Synology NAS. The “B” port will go to my Renderer input module on the Select 2 DAC. I will also use my Keces P3 for the power supply. Not sure if I should set to 9 or 12 volts.

Thanks,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000

Post Thanks / Like

I guess if I decide to purchase the EtherREGEN, I will utilize its “A” LAN ports for my NetGear Nighthawk Router, Roon Nucleus Plus and Synology NAS. The “B” port will go to my Renderer input module on the Select 2 DAC. I will use also use my Keces P3 for the power supply. Not sure if I should set to 9 or 12 volts.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Is there a potential downside to setting it to 9V? It is only recently that I have been reading that 12V is the way to go, no matter the switch.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI CLASSIC 3/Ortofon A95> Nordost Valhalla XLR> ASR Basis Exclusive> Wireworld Gold XLR--->

Digital: Mac Mini (for now)> WW Plat Ethernet> CARY DMS-600 DAC/Streamer>> WW Plat XLR-->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD PRO Disc Player>> WW Plat. RCA

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)>> WW Gold XLR> Clayton M-300>> WW Silver> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES

[Shunyata/Synergistic Research/Furutech/Blue Circle/SRA/Adona/ Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

6. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess if I decide to purchase the EtherREGEN, I will utilize its “A” LAN ports for my NetGear Nighthawk Router, Roon Nucleus Plus and Synology NAS. The “B” port will go to my Renderer input module on the Select 2 DAC. I will use also use my Keces P3 for the power supply. Not sure if I should set to 9 or 12 volts.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Hi Ken,
    My Teddy Pardo supply used for etherRegen is 12V output. I do need to double check, but I think ER can accept 7V to 12V range. Lower voltage is okay as long as it’s within the range and can supply enough current for that particular voltage.

BTW, I know you have a Gigafoil, so it can be inserted between ER and Renderer input module on Select 2. At least this is the configuration I’m using now. I may try a few different configurations in the coming months if time allows, but definitely not in a rush since the improvement I hear now is already enough to keep the ER.

8. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    Is there a potential downside to setting it to 9V? It is only recently that I have been reading that 12V is the way to go, no matter the switch.
    12v gives higher supply headroom (which is always better for solid state circuit functionality) and as long as that particular power supply can satisfy the current consumption of the circuit at 12v, it should be fine.

LPS output current spec goes down with higher voltage level, so you do need to check both LPS and the circuit current spec.

Post Thanks / Like

Lower voltage with higher current generally equal more heat. High voltage low current create less heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    I pulled this trial but will revert back to this setup using the Keces and grounding and give it 160 hours of break in which will be under a weeks time, then keep everyone updated.

In the interim, if one wants to stream and playback digital I highly recommend you address the detail that will bring the most from your system. The same rules apply; power, isolation and cables, and yes Ethernet cables do matter, it’s obvious.
    The unit definitely needs at least 100-150 hours for the sound to settle in. Even if you use it in a non-audio place in your network I would give it time before making a final assessment. I found that the sound of mine changed for quite a while.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 MK2 DAC, Oppo UDP-203;

12. Thanks UltraFast69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    12v gives higher supply headroom (which is always better for solid state circuit functionality) and as long as that particular power supply can satisfy the current consumption of the circuit at 12v, it should be fine.

LPS output current spec goes down with higher voltage level, so you do need to check both LPS and the circuit current spec.
    I meant to ask is there is a potential downside to using 12v?
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI CLASSIC 3/Ortofon A95> Nordost Valhalla XLR> ASR Basis Exclusive> Wireworld Gold XLR--->

Digital: Mac Mini (for now)> WW Plat Ethernet> CARY DMS-600 DAC/Streamer>> WW Plat XLR-->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD PRO Disc Player>> WW Plat. RCA

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)>> WW Gold XLR> Clayton M-300>> WW Silver> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES

[Shunyata/Synergistic Research/Furutech/Blue Circle/SRA/Adona/ Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast