Why no turntable? - Page 52
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    No Mike, the real time ADA level matched switching was maybe 2 years back, held at a Hillsborough County library. I do recall that event at Barts, that was vinyl ripping. That Channel D (?) is pretty neat software.
    My event, there is no recording, its all live LP playback, straight vs a ADA looped version

The results were clear. Way more info on the record we could measure and hear. He played the record Vs the digital rip. Yes, Channel D makes the Pure Vinyl software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why no turntable?

We should get back on topic rather than another analog Vs digital.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

3. Likes aKnyght, CPP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We should get back on topic rather than another analog Vs digital.

One topic is logically linked to the other, Mike. That became even more clear to me as I just re-read your OP.

The answer to your question "Why no turntable" is intrinsically linked to if you find it sonically necessary or not.

I very much enjoy vinyl in my friends' systems, and often really love the experience. But I don't find it necessary for myself. Even though there are some occasions where the same recording really sounds better on vinyl than on digital.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    One topic is logically linked to the other, Mike. That became even more clear to me as I just re-read your OP.

The answer to your question "Why no turntable" is intrinsically linked to if you find it sonically necessary or not.

I very much enjoy vinyl in my friends' systems, and often really love the experience. But I don't find it necessary for myself. Even though there are some occasions where the same recording really sounds better on vinyl than on digital.
    You need a turntable in YOUR system to really experience it. Otherwise, itís a mute point. Listening at friends homes just isnít the same. Not even close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You need a turntable in YOUR system to really experience it. Otherwise, it’s a mute point. Listening at friends homes just isn’t the same. Not even close.

Sorry, I don't follow the logic.

And you say I need to spend all the money on an outcome I already know from elsewhere, instead of spending it on optimizing the one source that I chose to be important for me? If I had done that, my CD replay would be much poorer (it, or its file equivalent, would also be much poorer if I had invested in computer audio to be able to play hi-res, taking money away from optimizing my system elsewhere). I don't have unlimited amounts of money lying around.

And by the way, while I can listen through the clicks and pops in my friends' systems (to the point where I don't even seriously notice them even when my friends themselves complain about some of them!) I could never do that in my own system. I know because I have been through this in my youth. Never again. In that sense, CD was a godsend, liberating me from LP cleaning OCD.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, no one NEEDS more than one source. Its suppose to be about enjoying music. Not analyzing your system. It's just a choose to have a second source. Or third. I made the mistake of buying a third source. Huge waste if money and a letdown for me. No desire to dump gobbs of money to try and make it better. The only good a 3rd source did for me was show me the cost of media for the first two is very affordable. Especially the streaming. As far as vinyl, digital and vinyl are close enough sonically it appears a waste of money, to me, to but high end records. The beauty in vinyl for me is finding an old Ray Charles or Art Pepper for $6 and its a smoking good recording. Spending $50 to get a remake that takes a concerted A/B to discern the differences between vinyl and digital is not a good use of money. For me.

Edit to add, When I say vinyl is better than digital, the old Ray Charles, Art Pepper, Duke Ellington, Ella etc are the amazing finds on vinyl that digital reissues miss the magic. I have some $6 to $19 old records that are just amazing. The remakes of these album are not like the old vinyl. There is tonal purity in those grooves. And they are affordable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    I agree, no one NEEDS more than one source. Its suppose to be about enjoying music. Not analyzing your system. It's just a choose to have a second source. Or third. I made the mistake of buying a third source. Huge waste if money and a letdown for me. No desire to dump gobbs of money to try and make it better. The only good a 3rd source did for me was show me the cost of media for the first two is very affordable. Especially the streaming. As far as vinyl, digital and vinyl are close enough sonically it appears a waste of money, to me, to but high end records. The beauty in vinyl for me is finding an old Ray Charles or Art Pepper for $6 and its a smoking good recording. Spending $50 to get a remake that takes a concerted A/B to discern the differences between vinyl and digital is not a good use of money. For me.

Edit to add, When I say vinyl is better than digital, the old Ray Charles, Art Pepper, Duke Ellington, Ella etc are the amazing finds on vinyl that digital reissues miss the magic. I have some $6 to $19 old records that are just amazing. The remakes of these album are not like the old vinyl. There is tonal purity in those grooves. And they are affordable.

Sure you don't need BUT ONE source, one only needs one car, one bike, one of anything. But it can be about enjoying the music with more than on source. I happen to enjoy listening to an LP and holding the LP jacket, maybe its my age but its what I LIKE TO DO. I've got hundreds of LP's, hundreds of CD's some downloads but i stream as well. Big deal. its the music. I like a lot of others like the older pressings, whoopie freaking do.... This type of thread regardless on which forum its under always goes down the same street of nonsense. Digital vs LP vs tape vs CD vs download vs streaming. Just one sided jibber jabber that never stops. Well back to watching reruns of golf tournaments.
    Chris

(2 Chl): Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32 mk11, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

9. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure you don't need BUT ONE source, one only needs one car, one bike, one of anything. But it can be about enjoying the music with more than on source. I happen to enjoy listening to an LP and holding the LP jacket, maybe its my age but its what I LIKE TO DO. I've got hundreds of LP's, hundreds of CD's some downloads but i stream as well. Big deal. its the music. I like a lot of others like the older pressings, whoopie freaking do.... This type of thread regardless on which forum its under always goes down the same street of nonsense. Digital vs LP vs tape vs CD vs download vs streaming. Just one sided jibber jabber that never stops. Well back to watching reruns of golf tournaments.
    Chris

(2 Chl): Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32 mk11, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

Why watch golf. Buy a Golden Tee golf machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Why watch golf. Buy a Golden Tee golf machine.
    Ah Why ? LOL
    Chris

Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast