Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums : - Page 144
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 144 of 146 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1457
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto - Symphony no. 5 - The Hebrides
    Freiburger Barockorchester, Pablo Heras-Casado
    Isabelle Faust, violin
    Qobuz 24/96

We're just back from Bruges where we saw Collegium Vocale, directed by Philippe Herreweghe. This ensemble celebrates its 50th birthday!
    A programme with motets from Mendelssohn.
    This in the Bach weekend, the 10th organised in Brugge.
    Because Mendelssohn was instrumental (pun intended) in reviving Bach, and also because he composed religious music inspired by the great master, this cooncert fitted perfectly in a Bach weekend.
    These motets are wonderful pieces, seldom played and recorded.
    Herreweghe admitted they were new for him too.
    I'm going to examine these on Qobuz, but a quick first search was fruitless.

So I played this wonderful album, also with a baroque orchestra that plays Mendelssohn.
    You can hear this, and it is a nice flavour.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

2. Likes chops liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

Quote Originally Posted by Alkyogre View Post
    For tonight a well known cd from Einaudi, elements. Lots of marketing on this: lots of sound, sadly this is not my thing and in my opinion an overrated album.

It's not entirely my thing either, but... it attracts young people.
    We experienced this during a concert of his, a couple of years ago.
    A lot of youngsters cheering as if he were Justin Bieber!

My youngest daughter loves him (we took her with us).
    She plays the piano, and his pieces are easier to play than Bach or Satie.
    She started to play and listen to Einaudi and now listens to Satie, Chopin and Ravel.

Post Thanks / Like

Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

Sibelius Symphonies 1-7, Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.

Clear vinyl, half-speed mastered, seven LP box, limited to 2.000 copies (641/2000). Excellent performance, very nice SQ.

Symphony #1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Soulution 520 preamp with phono/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs/ Semi-active Lansche Audio 4.2 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ 2x Audioquest Thunder HD for LS/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Post Thanks / Like

Shostakovich
    Rachmaninoff
    - Sonatas for cello and piano
    Alexander Warenberg
    Guiseppe Guarrera

trptk
    Qobuz 24/96

Very beautiful sonatas.
    If you're in a rather mellow mood, don't be afraid, this is very 'sweet' music!
    Wonderfully recorded, as always with trptk.

Post Thanks / Like

Live on BBC 3 radio for streaming: The very last Concert by Bernard Haitink, performing the 4th piano concert by Beethoven and the 7th Symphony by Bruckner at Luzern Festival.

Still 25 days available for stream. It is beautiful! An absolutely opportunity you must not miss.

Post Thanks / Like

Smoking Joséphine - Amours, Toujours
    Qobuz 24/88.2

Pretty good, entertaining versions of some classic and popular themes.

Five young women, all top-flight string players, united in a single voice, radiating temperamental sympathies and similarities, deceptive depths, and a caustic sense of humour: this is the challenging vision of "Smoking Joséphine", the 100% feminine ensemble dreamt up by violinist Geneviève Laurenceau as a ‘space for creativity and exploration’, to develop the sophisticated opulence of the string quintet.
    The present album is the result of the special alchemy between Geneviève and her team – Olivia Hughes (violin), Marie Chilemme (viola), Hermine Horiot (cello) and Laurène Durantel Helstroffer (double bass), all acclaimed soloists in their own right, in orchestras and chamber ensembles. This, their very first album, they have dedicated to Love.
    The five artists embody this universal, timeless theme with their characteristic warmth of sound, generous lyricism, and dynamic rhythmic pulse: their programme unfolds like a voyage with surprising discoveries en route, passing through many styles and periods and covering the full range, the many faces of this emotion that rules the heart.
    We can thrill to the passionate love of Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet and Bernstein’s West Side Story, the tender romantic reveries of Liszt, Chopin, Kreisler and Elgar, the ghoulish love depicted by Saint-Saëns, the "Bewitched Love" of De Falla ... This quintet, with its unconventional contrabass, has had each of its scores specially made to measure, in arrangements that are the last word in haute couture. © naive classique

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Highly enjoying this:

Beethoven - Symphony No. 2
    Schubert - Symphony No. 8 'Unvollendete'
    Brahms - Symphony No. 3 - Poco allegretto
    Intercontinental Ensemble TRAVELING LIGHT
    trptk label
    Qobuz 24/96

I was at an audition yesterday, and I heard the Studio Master of the Brahms piece.
    Ben, the co-owner of the shop also is co-owner of the label.
    Fantastic recording as usual from trptk!
    I'll buy the 5.0 DXD mix when our system will be ready for it.

Why I like this album especially.
    You all know I adore the transparency of the Kuijken approach (less singers, less instruments), where one can appreciate better the melody lines in the work.
    One might say the extreme example of this is the String Quartet which is orchestral music reduced to the bare minimum and as thus an art in itself.
    Here we get a nonet with 9 great international musicians, with Belgian violinist Ernst Spyckerelle who did the arrangements.
    Schubert's 8th will probably be my favourite version of all times, it is that good!

Heartily recommended.

The label has switched from Tidal to Qobuz, because the latter is so much better in sound quality said Ben, but as said, I will download the DXD Studio Master, because this 24/96 stream tastes good, but I want the full monty!

Listening again.
    One of the best releases of last year for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Bach - Concertos for two harpsichords
    Olivier Fortin
    Emmanuel Frankenberg
    Ensemble Masques

Qobuz 24/96

Marvellous interpretations of pieces I never tire hearing.
    We saw Olivier Fortin with Skip Sempé a couple of years ago in the intimacy of the Chamber Music Hall in the Brugge Concertgebouw.
    Here he can do his - great - thing with his ensemble.
    Recommended!

The practice of composing for two keyboard instruments, very common in the illustrious Bach family, naturally achieved its apotheosis with Johann Sebastian, whose three concertos for two harpsichords are performed here by Olivier Fortin and Emmanuel Frankenberg with the Ensemble Masques. These works, particularly the Concerto in C minor, are among the composer’s most admired. They suggest a conception of the concerto specific to Bach: rather than a dialogue between several individual entities, the piece presents a subtle intertwining of melodic lines and blurs the distinction between solo and tutti parts by making them respond to and quote each other, thus illustrating the principle of harmony dear to the composer. Finally, the recording on two harpsichords of the Prelude and Fugue BWV 552, originally composed for organ, is in keeping with the nineteenth-century tradition of transposing Bach’s works with the aim of giving their refined polyphony greater clarity. © Naxos

Giving this a second go.
    Marvellous!

Post Thanks / Like

Ludwig Van Beethoven - Violin Concerto & Romances
    Liza Ferschtman, violin
    The Netherlands Symphony Orchestra, Jan Willem de Vriend

Very good interpretation of this lovely violin concerto.
    Ferschtman is subtle but powerful at the same time.
    The orchestra does a superb job.
    The recording is crystal clear.
    Highly recommended.

Listening to this wonderful recording in the Beethoven year.

We've just heard Liza Ferschtman live in the Chamber Music Hall in Brugge.
    Works from Bartók, Enescu and Brahms.
    Sitting less than 3 meters from her and her piano quartet, we were fully immersed in the music.
    She's a very skilled and enthusiastic musician!

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this before.
    One of my "deserted island records".

When I listen to this, my whole self is taken back to that fantastic night in Bruges, where this pianist played quite some of these works.
    Every time again, I am deeply touched by them.
    Long term effects of live concerts, they do exist.
    What a great hobby we have...

From SACD-net:

I don't have time for an extensive piece by piece review, but suffice it to say that this recording contains beautiful playing captured in beautiful sound. El Bach's name is new to me, but he has quite an impressive background and has won prestigious competitions.

My test piece by Ravel is "Gaspard de la Nuit." Compared to Ivo Pogorelich, El Bacha does not so consciously/overtly "interpret" the music. He very elegantly (and dramatically when called for) presents the composer's music with stunning accuracy--this piece certainly seems not to hold any technical terrors for him. Pogorelich's "Scarbo" may scamper around a bit more menacingly at times, but El Bacha's still contains plenty of impact and is played with very musical phrasing. He's not from the daredevil "look ma no hands" school where the bravura obscures the music. This is not to say he doesn't add his own interpretive touches; it's just that he seems to want to present the music first rather than showing off his chops, of which he has plenty.

The sound is crystal clear with a medium distance perspective: the mics are not under the lid, nor are they in the rear of the hall. I'd say it's similar to Silverman's Mozart Sonatas on IsoMike--perhaps a bit brighter. The rear channels contain ambient information and virtually no direct sound.

So, if you place musical clarity and structure over throat-grabbing displays of prestidigitation, then this set might just be for you.

It's already too late, but I can't shut the system down.
    I'm addicted to these pieces.
    Listening in 5.0.

12. Thanks Kuoppis thanked for this post
    Likes Kuoppis, cmarin liked this post

Page 144 of 146 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 LastLast