Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Voshkod tubes

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    803

    Voshkod tubes

    Are any of you familiar with Voshkod tubes. What's your opinion on the quality?

    For the rebuild of my ARC 610t amps I purchased all the new tubes I would need 6 months ago. Now that we.....Phil... is at the end of the rebuild the 4 Sovtek 6N1P tubes I purchased are bad right out of the box.

    The only brand of 6N1P that I can locate is the Voshkod. The are much less expensive which concerns me, though unless I find someone that has other brands I will have no choice.

    Any help is appreciated
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    607

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    Are any of you familiar with Voshkod tubes. What's your opinion on the quality?

    For the rebuild of my ARC 610t amps I purchased all the new tubes I would need 6 months ago. Now that we.....Phil... is at the end of the rebuild the 4 Sovtek 6N1P tubes I purchased are bad right out of the box.

    The only brand of 6N1P that I can locate is the Voshkod. The are much less expensive which concerns me, though unless I find someone that has other brands I will have no choice.

    Any help is appreciated
    So I am not a tube expert, but some sites claim the 6bq7a is the "western equivalent" (whatever that means) to the 6n1p.

    Would these work?

    TubeDepot.com | 6BQ7A / 6BZ7
    "We are all billionaires because of the huge piles sweet dough rolling in from our participation in the ongoing campaign to suck your collective brains through a stirrer-straw." - PTA Editorial Staff

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,918

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Hi Brad,

    You might call Audio Research and ask if the 6BK7B, 6BQ7A or 6BZ7 tube types would work as a replacement/substitute for the 6N1P.

    All three are pretty common tubes that can generally be found as NOS.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lausanne, CH
    Posts
    266

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    Are any of you familiar with Voshkod tubes. What's your opinion on the quality?

    For the rebuild of my ARC 610t amps I purchased all the new tubes I would need 6 months ago. Now that we.....Phil... is at the end of the rebuild the 4 Sovtek 6N1P tubes I purchased are bad right out of the box.

    The only brand of 6N1P that I can locate is the Voshkod. The are much less expensive which concerns me, though unless I find someone that has other brands I will have no choice.

    Any help is appreciated
    Voshod is not the brand of 6n1p as in the old USSR there were just different facilities/factories where different tubes were produced - like mentioned Voshod, Novosibirsk, Ulyanov, etc.
    Anyhow 6n1p are fantastic tubes and just try to get 6n1p-EV ones as those are ruggedized military versions usually with OTK sign on them. No need to search for any substitutes honestly.
    For example: 6N1P-EV / ECC88 / 6DJ8 TESTED Tubes Voskhod ROCKET / OTK / 1975-79! Lot of 4 | eBay
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 8
    Cabling: Various

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    803

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Thanks I will check with ARC tomorrow.

    I looked at that add on eBay earlier Golum, and put a bookmark in my tube folder. Thank You.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    803

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Call ARC and they said they had no 6n1p tubes. Had them on order for 6 months and no idea when they might have them. They said not to use anything but 6n1p.

    I have ordered Voshkod tubes from 3 different people hopefully they will work.

    Trying to find someone in the Tampa area with a good quality tube tester but so far no luck. I called a couple of shops that repair vintage and they don't test tubes. It would seem like that would be a necessary part of working on vintage equipment. Apparently not.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  7. #7
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    29,337

    Voshkod tubes

    Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    Call ARC and they said they had no 6n1p tubes. Had them on order for 6 months and no idea when they might have them. They said not to use anything but 6n1p.

    I have ordered Voshkod tubes from 3 different people hopefully they will work.

    Trying to find someone in the Tampa area with a good quality tube tester but so far no luck. I called a couple of shops that repair vintage and they don't test tubes. It would seem like that would be a necessary part of working on vintage equipment. Apparently not.
    Any brand who’s design is all Russian tubes has got to be in a world of trouble from a supply standpoint.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Enleum (Bakoon), Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, HiFi Rose, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    803

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    You got that right mike.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    607

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    You got that right mike.
    I've been searching for you and came across these. Have you seen these supposedly matched pairs?: Amazon.com
    "We are all billionaires because of the huge piles sweet dough rolling in from our participation in the ongoing campaign to suck your collective brains through a stirrer-straw." - PTA Editorial Staff

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    803

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Thanks Michael,
    I have 3 types of tubes coming. The standard, EB and EV-EB. Hopefully one of them will work properly.

    Either this afternoon or tomorrow I will get to listen to the rebuilt amps.

    The link to that seller look good. They offer a 3 year warranty on tubes. That is quite unheard of.

    Brad
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    607

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    Thanks Michael,
    I have 3 types of tubes coming. The standard, EB and EV-EB. Hopefully one of them will work properly.

    Either this afternoon or tomorrow I will get to listen to the rebuilt amps.

    The link to that seller look good. They offer a 3 year warranty on tubes. That is quite unheard of.

    Brad
    Good luck with them and let us know how it goes. Hopefully you'll be set with what you ordered.
    "We are all billionaires because of the huge piles sweet dough rolling in from our participation in the ongoing campaign to suck your collective brains through a stirrer-straw." - PTA Editorial Staff

  12. #12

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Any brand who’s design is all Russian tubes has got to be in a world of trouble from a supply standpoint.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    How much longer until the same story is true for tubes from China?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

    Reviewer for Positive Feedback

  13. #13
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    29,337

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    How much longer until the same story is true for tubes from China?
    China isn’t at war.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Enleum (Bakoon), Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, HiFi Rose, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  14. #14

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    China isn’t at war.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yet.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

    Reviewer for Positive Feedback

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,809

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Brad, hopefully your incoming 'stash' will be what you're looking for ! If not and FWIW Jim McShane is IMO one of the best 'tube guys' I've ever dealt with, while he is starting to slow down and retire he might be still worth a look.......

    Jim McShane Home Page
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    803

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    I purchased my last set of 6550 tubes from Jim a few years ago. I checked and he didn't have any 6n1p tubes on his site. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    803

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    I'm now happy to say that I have working 6n1p tubes in the amps.

    After bringing all of the good and bad tubes back home arranging them to go to a vintage repair company on Tuesday that tests tubes.
    I was surprised to make a discovery with the tubes that were in the amps.

    The 6n1p tubes that we removed from the amps were installed by Audio Research when they went back to get a clean bill of health by Echo Audio in 2015 prior to my purchasing them. The amps were shipped directly to me from ARC.

    When I looked closely with a magnifying glass to make out what was left of the original cables all 4 had rockets on them signifying they came from the Voshkod factory. Only one of the of the tubes was marked Sovtek. Two of the tubes had identical markings from the Voshkod factory and the fourth had the rocket and markings from another company the labeled Voshkod tubes with their name. The latter 3 tubes have the exact markings as some of the tubes I ordered from different sellers.

    The 4 6n1p Sovtek tubes I purchased from VivaTubes that were no good had the rocket and the same markings as the current tubes I have been receiving. I was surprised Sovtek used their tubes for many years or someone is putting Sovtek on old tubes.
    The only difference is they charged almost 3 times as much. That's my fault for not knowing enough about the tubes currently available.

    I explained the rebuild of the amps and missing the warranty time and I accept I did. I even offered to pay to ship them back and if they found they were in perfect condition I would be happy with some credit toward other tubes or I would pay to ship them back to me and I would attempt to sell them. They suggested it my EE fault and had no interest in anything I offered.
    I understand being in business I was self employed for all but 2 years of my working life but there is a thing called customer service.

    Just interesting ARC has no tubes that fit their specs but there are obviously 1000's of 6n1p EV-EB tubes that they have used. I realize they have high standards but surprised none are their standards. We will see in time.

    The EV-EB tubes are said by other ARC owners to have the factory rating of 5000 hours in their amps.

    Oh well that is part of owning older tube equipment. At least my wife hasn't taken away my credit and debit cards.

    Can't wait to get them home. Hopefully by the weeks end.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    607

    Re: Voshkod tubes

    Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    I'm now happy to say that I have working 6n1p tubes in the amps.

    After bringing all of the good and bad tubes back home arranging them to go to a vintage repair company on Tuesday that tests tubes.
    I was surprised to make a discovery with the tubes that were in the amps.

    The 6n1p tubes that we removed from the amps were installed by Audio Research when they went back to get a clean bill of health by Echo Audio in 2015 prior to my purchasing them. The amps were shipped directly to me from ARC.

    When I looked closely with a magnifying glass to make out what was left of the original cables all 4 had rockets on them signifying they came from the Voshkod factory. Only one of the of the tubes was marked Sovtek. Two of the tubes had identical markings from the Voshkod factory and the fourth had the rocket and markings from another company the labeled Voshkod tubes with their name. The latter 3 tubes have the exact markings as some of the tubes I ordered from different sellers.

    The 4 6n1p Sovtek tubes I purchased from VivaTubes that were no good had the rocket and the same markings as the current tubes I have been receiving. I was surprised Sovtek used their tubes for many years or someone is putting Sovtek on old tubes.
    The only difference is they charged almost 3 times as much. That's my fault for not knowing enough about the tubes currently available.

    I explained the rebuild of the amps and missing the warranty time and I accept I did. I even offered to pay to ship them back and if they found they were in perfect condition I would be happy with some credit toward other tubes or I would pay to ship them back to me and I would attempt to sell them. They suggested it my EE fault and had no interest in anything I offered.
    I understand being in business I was self employed for all but 2 years of my working life but there is a thing called customer service.

    Just interesting ARC has no tubes that fit their specs but there are obviously 1000's of 6n1p EV-EB tubes that they have used. I realize they have high standards but surprised none are their standards. We will see in time.

    The EV-EB tubes are said by other ARC owners to have the factory rating of 5000 hours in their amps.

    Oh well that is part of owning older tube equipment. At least my wife hasn't taken away my credit and debit cards.

    Can't wait to get them home. Hopefully by the weeks end.
    I think if the war goes on much longer keeping the supply of Russian tubes scarce, you're going to see ARC loosening the definition of their tube "standards" otherwise they won't be able to mfg or fix gear which = going out of business.
    "We are all billionaires because of the huge piles sweet dough rolling in from our participation in the ongoing campaign to suck your collective brains through a stirrer-straw." - PTA Editorial Staff

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Voshkod tubes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •