Fosi V3 Amplifier

Shadowfax

Well-known member
Joined
May 8, 2013
Messages
3,901
Location
Bucks County PA
I know this is not the best forum to post about this amp since it is in the sub $100 range. But, this is where I like to post.

I needed to replace a failing cheap Lepai 20x20 in my simple office system that is not used for any critical listening. I rarely use it because I have to think and concentrate for my job. Then it seams that whenever I have time to listen, my wife tries to ask me questions from downstairs. So I didn't need anything expensive, just better than what I had.

Basic setup is PC out via AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable to a Firestone Fubar II DAC then to the Amp with some older Tara Labs ICs. Generic larger gauge stranded Speaker cables driving a pair of 4 ohm Dynaudio 42s. I use JRiver for digital files along with Pandora and Youtube Music and Videos.

The Fosi V3 fit my requirements of 4 ohm friendly, small, powerful enough, and no nonsense. For ~$80 you get what you pay for and more.
The On/Off - Volume Knob is really nice. It allows a very slow ramping up of volume so low level listening is easy to achieve. It sounds decent at low levels but comes alive when opened up.

I was earlier surprised at how the Lepai drove the Dyns but this amp is in another category in sound, build, and looks. With only the one On/Off Volume knob and a tiny blue LED, it is simple and uncluttered like the cheesy Lepai was.

My speakers are above my head when seated and closer to the wall than I would like but it is what I have to work with. I also had the foam plugs in the ports of the Dyns that I removed and got better sound. The unit has also now been running 8x5 for a few months so broken is as far it it will.

Of course this amp is not refined and as detailed as expensive amps, but it does the job in a small compact way. This amp would be a great starter kit along with just a CD Player (or TT with pre) and a set of speakers. No need for a Pre since the one knob controls the volume and power.

They do claim that the Sweet Spot for this amp is a pair of 4 ohm speakers. I have not tried it with any other speakers. Would be fun to see if it can drive my 82s or Fynes. The bass is decent as well as mids. The 42s were never the most revealing for highs but the silk tweeters are non fatiguing.

I would not hesitate to purchase other Fosi gear if needed.

1790954684078.jpeg
 
Back
Top