Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

DSD, The last thing we need....

Is another damn format, what's wrong with us audiophiles. It's new I gotta have it.

Now I can't say the info in the following link is correct as I am no digital engineering guru, far from it. But based on hearing similar stuff from many experts in the industry, I think it is a good read.

Sorry if this is old news.

John Siau: Benchmark Audio Guru | Real HD-Audio

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

Re: DSD, The last thing we need....

thx Mark, interesting article
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

It is true that despite the many vocal proponents of DSD that we have on this (and other) forum, not all audiophiles prefer DSD to hires PCM, just as not all prefer LP's to hires digital. It's often kind of difficult to tell by numbers of posts, though...

Problem is how many have heard "real" DSD and at what speed eg. DSD, 2X DSD or 4X DSD? And how many have truly compared both in the their own systems?
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    Problem is how many have heard "real" DSD and at what speed eg. DSD, 2X DSD or 4X DSD? And how many have truly compared both in the their own systems?

Not many i'd guess.

How much material is really recorded in DSD to start with? Some production houses are honest and will tell you that the DSD stereo-layer contains 24bit master sources converted to DSD usually on a Meitner DAC. Most however appear silent on the issue and so one possible assumption is the recording is really PCM before quantizing to DSD.

2L (Norway) do a nice job. Possible to pick up packages / files from them which contain CD/SACD and Blu Ray formats and DXD, DSD64, DSD128. They like DXD (4 x DSD) and often record at source in both 1 bit DSD and multi-bit PCM.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Not many i'd guess.

How much material is really recorded in DSD to start with? Some production houses are honest and will tell you that the DSD stereo-layer contains 24bit master sources converted to DSD usually on a Meitner DAC. Most however appear silent on the issue and so one possible assumption is the recording is really PCM before quantizing to DSD.

2L (Norway) do a nice job. Possible to pick up packages / files from them which contain CD/SACD and Blu Ray formats and DXD, DSD64, DSD128. They like DXD (4 x DSD) and often record at source in both 1 bit DSD and multi-bit PCM.
    Most i'd proffer is converted somewhere in the chain unless it's from an an analog master (excepting if they're remixing in PCM).

DXD is PCM. 24/358.2
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit...eme_Definition
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

I'm pretty sure both John and Marc (from the article) have heard all those formats, and possibly in some cases of the same recordings. As an aside, it was interesting to hear Marc at THE Show discuss the business aspect of being a small hires recording label, in this case hawking his own products in the Marketplace there.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    I'm pretty sure both John and Marc (from the article) have heard all those formats, and possibly in some cases of the same recordings. As an aside, it was interesting to hear Marc at THE Show discuss the business aspect of being a small hires recording label, in this case hawking his own products in the Marketplace there.
    I was referring to audiophiles and commercial products.

As far Benchmark goes, they are kinda the mavericks out there.

I couldn't disagree more with the premise of this thread. While there is no universal consensus on whether DSD sounds better than PCM, since when do we ever have consensus on anything in this wacky hobby? The answer: never. However, I'm seeing more and more people talk about how they like DSD and prefer it over PCM and I certainly fall into that camp as well. When all of the chips have fallen and the dust has settled, it might come down to something as simple as people who detest analog and only listen to digital prefer PCM over DSD and people who listen to both analog and digital prefer DSD because it sounds the most like analog of any current digital format.

Does DSD sound as good as analog either in LP format or tape? No, it doesn't. There is still a gap in sound quality in my opinion. The good news is that with DSD, you can let yourself relax and listen to music for prolonged periods of time and enjoy it. I have never found this to be true with PCM regardless of sampling rate and bit depth. Even though PCM has what I call 'wowie zowie' bass, it still manages to sound too thin and sharp over the long term to my ears. I can only take it so long (and not real long) before I feel compelled to get up and put on an LP so I can relax and float into the music.

So, instead of saying DSD is "The last thing we need", I would say that it's exactly what digital needs in order to sound less artificial, painful, thin, bright, and more like real live music. And I say all of this knowing there are some people who will swear that MP3s sound just like a master tape and PCM sounds even better than a master tape and the worst sounding digital sounds better than the best sounding analog. Why? Because we don't hear the same, we love to argue, and we seldom agree on anything.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

The merrier the music is the better life is.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    The merrier the music is the better life is.
    Why Bob, I'm always amazed at the profoundness of the statements you make.

I've been waiting for your contribution, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Why Bob, I'm always amazed at the profoundness of the statements you make.
    Why not Mark, it's peaceful, and it is after all the joy of our hobby.

By the way, the thread's title is funny, because DSD is a very welcome addition, and it has been for few years now.
    - With the latest Oppo players you can "scream" (stream) it directly from the USB port (direct DSD download). Personally I love that, a whole lot.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Yes I love the Oppo products too

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

...Made by smart people.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

DSD2x sounds superb. Nuff said.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark

DSD, The last thing we need....

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    DSD2x sounds superb. Nuff said.
    Agreed. I've tested DSD2x on the new Lumin S1 and used files recorded in double DSD (see Blue Coast Records) and others taken direct from master tape to double DSD. The results were impressive.

But the volume of DSD2x recordings is very very small. Only a handful and many of those have their source as the main tape or PCM. So, kind of pointless if PCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I couldn't disagree more with the premise of this thread. While there is no universal consensus on whether DSD sounds better than PCM, since when do we ever have consensus on anything in this wacky hobby? The answer: never. However, I'm seeing more and more people talk about how they like DSD and prefer it over PCM and I certainly fall into that camp as well. When all of the chips have fallen and the dust has settled, it might come down to something as simple as people who detest analog and only listen to digital prefer PCM over DSD and people who listen to both analog and digital prefer DSD because it sounds the most like analog of any current digital format.

Does DSD sound as good as analog either in LP format or tape? No, it doesn't. There is still a gap in sound quality in my opinion. The good news is that with DSD, you can let yourself relax and listen to music for prolonged periods of time and enjoy it. I have never found this to be true with PCM regardless of sampling rate and bit depth. Even though PCM has what I call 'wowie zowie' bass, it still manages to sound too thin and sharp over the long term to my ears. I can only take it so long (and not real long) before I feel compelled to get up and put on an LP so I can relax and float into the music.

So, instead of saying DSD is "The last thing we need", I would say that it's exactly what digital needs in order to sound less artificial, painful, thin, bright, and more like real live music. And I say all of this knowing there are some people who will swear that MP3s sound just like a master tape and PCM sounds even better than a master tape and the worst sounding digital sounds better than the best sounding analog. Why? Because we don't hear the same, we love to argue, and we seldom agree on anything.
    Great post! I agree that well recorded DSD when properly decoded sounds more like analog than PCM and is a step in the right direction for music lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Great post! I agree that well recorded DSD when properly decoded sounds more like analog than PCM and is a step in the right direction for music lovers.
    or not...

Up to this point in time (15 yrs into the SACD era) I can't say I've noticed (for me) a clear preference for DSD vs. hires PCM

Most i'd proffer is converted somewhere in the chain unless it's from an an analog master (excepting if they're remixing in PCM).

DXD is PCM. 24/358.2
    Digital eXtreme Definition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There's the mastering side that muddies the water (I like Acoustics Sounds as they generally are pretty clear where their files are cut from) but playback as well. Some DACs, like my CH Precision C1 and the TAD SACD player, convert DSD to PCM signals for playback.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Agreed. I've tested DSD2x on the new Lumin S1 and used files recorded in double DSD (see Blue Coast Records) and others taken direct from master tape to double DSD. The results were impressive.

But the volume of DSD2x recordings is very very small. Only a handful and many of those have their source as the main tape or PCM. So, kind of pointless if PCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    People are KORG-ing their Vinyl collections. Native DSD and a few other sites are just commencing selling stuff online from the Original DSD master files.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

or not...

Up to this point in time (15 yrs into the SACD era) I can't say I've noticed (for me) a clear preference for DSD vs. hires PCM
    Or not what though? He said he AGREED...I think he should know his own mind...You and others are free to disagree.
    NORMAN

or not...

Look, the article the OP pointed to is old and has been thrashed on many fora. The author of the piece has a vested commercial interest to naysay DSD, and that is fine, as long as that fact is not hidden.

Some like Matej and Myles suffer from digititis, needle in the head syndrome, when listening to PCM for too long. Matej says Daniel Hertz Masterclass playback engine solves this for $650.

One indisputable fact is that it is easier to get our hand on a pure DSD recording to playback chain than it is to a pure PCM chain. There are enough PURE DSD recordings/analog transfers available that an be played back on 1 bit converters, multibit DSD converters and Chipless solutions like Lampi/Direct Stream that preserves the chain of custody right until the analog output. This is VERY rare with PCM, which needs to source old material which happened to be recorded on devices like the Pacific Microsonics 2 and then played back on a R2R Multibit NOS dac like CH, Phasure, AMR DP777, Trinity, Metrum Octave, Killer dac, etc.

This whole debate is pointless to me, arguing over whether chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla. Almost everyone loves ice cream, so there...
    NORMAN

If you mean "pure DSD" with no analog generations, that is much more rare than "pure PCM (24-96 or better)". If you mean a PCM recording also played through a ladder-type DAC, then that is indeed a rare bird today. And of course it's all opinion, I was just giving mine, which I admit (by this time) is probably well-known to you and probably to Mark as well.

This has finally gotten fun, surprised it took this long to get everyone fired up on this thread.

Sorry Mark. I can't join this thread. I have a no clue what this is all about
    Paul

Audioshark

Pick the music, not the format and enjoy. I love DSD, but I look at the music first, second and third. The format is a distant fourth. Redbook, fine. 24/96, fine. 24, 192, fine. DSD, fine. DSDx2, fine. It's all good - but focus on the music and the mastering first. If you have a network music player or DAC that allows all formats or most formats, then you won't worry yourself with the dreaded format wars. Pour yourself a drink, click play and sit back and relax.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Pick the music, not the format and enjoy. I love DSD, but I look at the music first, second and third. The format is a distant fourth. Redbook, fine. 24/96, fine. 24, 192, fine. DSD, fine. DSDx2, fine. It's all good - but focus on the music and the mastering first. If you have a network music player or DAC that allows all formats or most formats, then you won't worry yourself with the dreaded format wars. Pour yourself a drink, click play and sit back and relax.
    I 2nd that!
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers