PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2? - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53
  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,615
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    Yikes!
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ 47 Labs MC Bee cart, MSB Premier DAC --> Music First Baby Reference v2 --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> YG Acoustics Hailey 2.2

  2. #42
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    25,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I'd probably go Torus or Furman on the cheap or another isolation transformer like Audioquest instead of either.

    I find Shunyata strips harmonics out of the sound in the quest to "reduce noise." Most people I know have sold off their Tritons, Typhons, and Hydras over the years because of it. That said, I haven't heard the new Denali and for all I know it could be the real deal. The one I always wanted to own was the first wooden Hydra. I purchased a Sound Application strip which turned out to be a big joke instead.
    Iíve actually found the opposite and during the lockdown switch to the 6000s V/2 at home. I find it provided greater harmonic richness and dimensionality to the music.

    YMMV
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  3. Likes Puma Cat liked this post
  4. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Iíve actually found the opposite and during the lockdown switch to the 6000s V/2 at home. I find it provided greater harmonic richness and dimensionality to the music.
    Same here. I have three dedicated 20 amp circuits, one for each amp, and one for the source gear. Initially, the amps were plugged directly into the wall via a Shunyata power cord, and they sounded great. I later added a Denali 2000 for each amp, and was amazed at the improvement. Also, using the Denali I went from one power cord for each amp to using two power cords plus the Denali for each amp. Even so, there was an audible, obvious improvement.
    Bud

    Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

  5. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I'd probably go Torus or Furman on the cheap or another isolation transformer like Audioquest instead of either.

    I find Shunyata strips harmonics out of the sound in the quest to "reduce noise." Most people I know have sold off their Tritons, Typhons, and Hydras over the years because of it. That said, I haven't heard the new Denali and for all I know it could be the real deal. The one I always wanted to own was the first wooden Hydra. I purchased a Sound Application strip which turned out to be a big joke instead.
    and

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Iíve actually found the opposite and during the lockdown switch to the 6000s V/2 at home. I find it provided greater harmonic richness and dimensionality to the music.

    YMMV
    I'm in complete alignment with MIke on this one. Everything I've tried that uses coils, inductors, or chokes for noise reduction (which includes devices like the Furman, Richard Gray, and Audioquest-type power conditioners), the music sounds compressed, "heavy", dark and lacks immediacy and dynamic slam.

    I've developed my own inner phrase that "Chokes choke the life out of music". Ugh.

    I haven't tried the newest PS Audio P-series, but some years ago I tried the Power Plant Premier for over a month in my home and system. I found that it had virtually no impact or influence on the sound whatsoever, and it was very large, very heavy device that was in the way in my small listening space.

    By contrast, my entry-level Hydra 4 sounded notably better than the PPP.

    My Hydra-8 was cosiderably better-sounding than my Hydra 4, and my Triton another significant step above the Hydra-8 and...I could plug my amp into it and not have it impact dynamics.

    As for the Denali 6000/S V2...well, that is several quantum jumps up compared to ealier generation PDs. The CCI, NIC NR, and GP-NR technologies significantly reduce noise without impacting dynamic transient current delivery. And the QR/BB device just transports Denali to another galaxy compared to other PDs.

    In my experience, one has to hear a PD with a QR/BB device to "get it"....trying to describe it "verbally" doesn't do it. It fundamentally changes the presentation in a way where traditional audiophile lexicon no longer applies. The language has to move away from the language used in Audiophile-La La land to a language that is evocative of experiencing the musical event itself, or describing the characteristics and attributes of fine musical instruments. Think how to describe how a Guanerius has a warmer, fuller, rounder, more sonorous tone than a Stradivarius, or a Bosendorfer has a different "body" and "power" than a Steinway Grand...and you'll kind get close.

    When I listen to Pepe Romero play his acoustic classical guitar while playing Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez, I can the hear the thickness of the spruce top of his guitar against the background of the full orchestra of The Academy of St Martin in the Fields.

    That's what the QR/BB device does....

  6. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Same here. I have three dedicated 20 amp circuits, one for each amp, and one for the source gear. Initially, the amps were plugged directly into the wall via a Shunyata power cord, and they sounded great. I later added a Denali 2000 for each amp, and was amazed at the improvement. Also, using the Denali I went from one power cord for each amp to using two power cords plus the Denali for each amp. Even so, there was an audible, obvious improvement.
    Bud,
    You may want to share what adding the Typhon QR did for your system...

  7. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    and



    I'm in complete alignment with MIke on this one. Everything I've tried that uses coils, inductors, or chokes for noise reduction (which includes devices like the Furman, Richard Gray, and Audioquest-type power conditioners), the music sounds compressed, "heavy", dark and lacks immediacy and dynamic slam.

    I've developed my own inner phrase that "Chokes choke the life out of music". Ugh.

    I haven't tried the newest PS Audio P-series, but some years ago I tried the Power Plant Premier for over a month in my home and system. I found that it had virtually no impact or influence on the sound whatsoever, and it was very large, very heavy device that was in the way in my small listening space.

    By contrast, my entry-level Hydra 4 sounded notably better than the PPP.

    My Hydra-8 was cosiderably better-sounding than my Hydra 4, and my Triton another significant step above the Hydra-8 and...I could plug my amp into it and not have it impact dynamics.

    As for the Denali 6000/S V2...well, that is several quantum jumps up compared to ealier generation PDs. The CCI, NIC NR, and GP-NR technologies significantly reduce noise without impacting dynamic transient current delivery. And the QR/BB device just transports Denali to another galaxy compared to other PDs.

    In my experience, one has to hear a PD with a QR/BB device to "get it"....trying to describe it "verbally" doesn't do it. It fundamentally changes the presentation in a way where traditional audiophile lexicon no longer applies. The language has to move away from the language used in Audiophile-La La land to a language that is evocative of experiencing the musical event itself, or describing the characteristics and attributes of fine musical instruments. Think how to describe how a Guanerius has a warmer, fuller, rounder, more sonorous tone than a Stradivarius, or a Bosendorfer has a different "body" and "power" than a Steinway Grand...and you'll kind get close.

    When I listen to Pepe Romero play his acoustic classical guitar while playing Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez, I can the hear the thickness of the spruce top of his guitar against the background of the full orchestra of The Academy of St Martin in the Fields.

    That's what the QR/BB device does....

    Just remember one man's definition of distortion is another mans "harmonic richness". One man's "analytical " is another man's accurate and transparent.

    You get the idea :-)

    Thankfully this isn't a subjective hobby lol

  8. Likes still-one liked this post
  9. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milford, MI
    Posts
    3,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    What I am saying is that one cannot make statements about the overall quality of a company's products from a sample N of 1. One has to have a statistically informative sample N to make any meaningful and statistically valid inferences about product quality.
    And one cannot make statements about quality from reading Forums.
    Jim

    D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

  10. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    And one cannot make statements about quality from reading Forums.
    Correct. You need capability analysis



    and SPC...


  11. #49
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    All I can say is that I know someone (who some folks here also know as well) on another forum who had many PS Audio P20s in all of his system(s), and upon getting his first Denali V2, pulled out virtually all his P20s, sold them, and replaced all of them with Denali V2s.
    I'm pretty sure I know of the person you are referring to and that person thought the P20 was the cats meow up until the point they were not longer a dealer because PS Audio went direct. So the data point you speak of I take with a gain of salt.

    Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheGemState; May 23, 2020 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Typo

  12. Thanks Jack thanked for this post
  13. #50
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PS Audio P20 vs Denali 6000/S V2?

    I have owned a P5, P10, P12, and P20, and now a pair of Shunyata Denali 6000S v2.

    I am certainly no engineering expert, but all of the above did and are doing what they are supposed to do.

    I have very noisy electricity and borderline high voltage. This is why I started using these products. My goal was not performance improvement per say, but rather simply to eliminate the electrical noise. And all of the products did this. I did notice that the P12 and P20 made my system sound more enjoyable to listen to me, whereas the P5 and P10 just eliminated noise. None of them had a breakdown for me.

    The P20 was a fantastic improvement for me, but I never had more than a 40% load on it.

    In ultimately switched to Shunyata because I did have breakdowns with other PS Audio products, and I was concerned the same might happen with the P12 and P20. The size and weight of the Ps Audio products was also a factor in the switch.

    You may have noticed that I havenít really mentioned The Denali yet. I donít think I can add any more superlatives to what has already been said. It works perfectly, takes up less space, and costs less. I would think this is a no brainer for most.

    I do believe the PS Audio P20 is a useful product, but the Denali is a better product for me.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  14. Likes Puma Cat, Mike liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •