What are some dymanic driver/non-horn speakers that have that "jump" factor? - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are some dymanic driver/non-horn speakers that have that "jump" factor?

I had some 93.5 db ef speakers that did have some mid horn color, but drum kits played back on those speakers was really impressive. the dynamics, slam, and presence outweighed their shortcomings and I used them for 25 years. They were also very good low volume speakers.
    Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 200 zone controller, VA Beethovens, , Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are some dymanic driver/non-horn speakers that have that "jump" factor?

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    I had some 93.5 db ef speakers that did have some mid horn color, but drum kits played back on those speakers was really impressive. the dynamics, slam, and presence outweighed their shortcomings and I used them for 25 years. They were also very good low volume speakers.
    Which speakers were they?
    VPI Avenger with 12" 3D arm, Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Kef R105/3 from 1990, I mention them more to share my definition of jump factor then a recommendation.
    Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 200 zone controller, VA Beethovens, , Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

The horn membrane moves nanometers and produces the most dynamic sound. I just don’t think any traditional box speaker can compete in this one area. What is your opposition to horn speakers? I would encourage you to listen to some Avantgarde’s. Duo XD or above preferably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones & Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

deleted

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    Kef R105/3 from 1990, I mention them more to share my definition of jump factor then a recommendation.
    I was trying to understand how your old KEF speakers could have “mid horn color” when there are are no horns used in that design.
    VPI Avenger with 12" 3D arm, Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I was trying to understand how your old KEF speakers could have “mid horn color” when there are are no horns used in that design.
    Coax
    Midrange acts as the horn for tweeter. Some older designs had similar complaints.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The horn membrane moves nanometers and produces the most dynamic sound. I just don’t think any traditional box speaker can compete in this one area. What is your opposition to horn speakers? I would encourage you to listen to some Avantgarde’s. Duo XD or above preferably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh I have no opposition to horns. I just assumed they wouldn’t be a good match to my solid state electronics.

I’ve never experienced a modern horn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Coax
    Midrange acts as the horn for tweeter. Some older designs had similar complaints.
    the tweeter and magnet assembly wasn't any bigger than an inch across and maybe 5/8's deep with about a 2-1/2" stem/mount coming off the back and that thing put out!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4