Why no turntable? - Page 46
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    The Rega RP8 is a pretty awesome table, and I caught it on a great close out price. Also on TAS grade A list. I prefer MM cartridges and the 2M Black is Ortofon's top of the line MM cartridge... the SimAudio is economical (ok pretty cheap) but Mike called it "crazy good", which I tend to agree. Even at retail those three come in at under $5k, like $4200-$4300. Add record cleaning machine... cleaning supplies and you are about $5k.
    I don't have high end " stuff", but I really enjoy the sound that comes from my Lumin, my little vinyl rig, the Classic VPI ( the first one) my Chinook and my amp and pre. Headphones or speakers its a joy to just listen to music and not have to count the $$$ signs. But I tell ya, I've heard Mikes system at his home and I would be in total heaven with that. Maybe one day, maybe one day.
    Chris

(2 Chl): Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32 mk11, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

You got a nice system Chris! Way beyond intro level in my view.

I know I will never be able to afford the level of gear that Mike has, so I don't worry about it .... but if I ever win the lottery Mike, I am coming to see ya ....
    Hattor "The Big" Passive | T+A AMP 8 | Rega RP8 | Ortofon 2M Black | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Roon & HQPlayer Software | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

3. Likes CPP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iíve contributed my opinion to this before.. but now under quarantine Iím thinking I should look into building out that aspect of my set up. I think it would be a good 30k to get a analog rig/phono pre to compete with the digital side. If the market rebounds, and we get people back buying MBS (mortgage backed securities) Iíll think about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 28b3s, Bryston 4b3, Bryston 9bsst2
    Digital: EMM NS1, EMM DA2
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c, Kef Ci200RR-THX (surround/back)
    Subs: Two JL Audio F212v2
    Power: PS Audio PS10, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks
    Video: Oppo 203, LG 65inch OLED
    -Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

It is more important to get something that you are happy with than feeling you have to spend as much as your "other side". I will eventually get a better phone stage, but I am totally happy with the RP8!
    Hattor "The Big" Passive | T+A AMP 8 | Rega RP8 | Ortofon 2M Black | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Roon & HQPlayer Software | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

6. Likes CPP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to mess with internal hardware and software mods under the guidance of Alrainbow. I actually had a pretty darn nice sounding setup. But honestly, it comes no where near the performance of my Mojo server.

I now have an STST Motus II TT with a Hana ML cartridge. Allnic H1201 phono preamp.
    I have the Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC and the Deja Vu server with his latest Root Ram Linus Software.

Similar to Randy, on first blush many album sound similar. Then some are quite different. In particular a Qobuz Paul Simon is way better than the vinyl that is too thin and fragile. But I pulled out a Ray Charles and the horns, vocals and piano are so much more alive on the vinyl.
    The new reissue vinyl is stunning for its quiet, dynamics and realism on either source. Sometimes I flip between the 2 and I just cant tell which is vinyl or digital. They are that close.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

You would not need a turntable if you are not aware how the source of recording plays an important factor.

IMO having a turntable play digital mastered recordings does not make sense in most cases unless your digital is inferior and needs some work, besides these cartridges are not cheap and need to be dedicated to the very best analog recordings, ones you canít simply stream!

Itís no doubt a financial and time commitment to bring the best out of vinyl, which in the end can be called a hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan DíAgostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45ís
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 amp breakers within a grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF packages | Keces P3 & P8 | Surge Guard at Main Panel | ADD POWR series | Environmental Potential EP2050
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | etherREGEN | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Glšss

9. Likes Kuoppis, Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I listen great albums sound great but crappy albums sound rather crappy.... with my digital even crap sounds ok... that is really the difference. From here on I will only be investing in top notch albums.

The Rega emphasizes this even more showing how bad recordings/pressings are bad and great recording/pressings are great.

11. Thanks aKnyght thanked for this post
    Likes CPP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been comparing a lot of my vinyl to its digital counterparts. All I can say is that I’m glad I have a good vinyl rig in addition to my digital one. The versions are sometimes very different and I never know which will sound best. I don’t have a lot of duplicates though as I’ve always had a vinyl rig and didn’t re-buy my vinyl library in CD form.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

13. Likes Mike, Kuoppis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im gonna change my position. Assume I have the best of the best vinyl of something, and the best of the best digital file. Not even the same album. Just I found a great copy of something.

I have not found a digital file that has the same level of natural purity and tone as vinyl has. This is especially true with vocals and unamplified instruments. Digital excels at pop, rap and rock. Digital just can't do what vinyl does on classical, jazz and chicks with guitar music. The vinyl is more accurate and harmonically complete. It has a more realistic recreation of being there.

This is a comparison between 2 sources, both about $13k. Digital maybe more like 11k. The big jump was getting a "real" TT. A $3k table is not the same as a $10k table. When you leave Project, Rega and step up, the world changes for vinyl. Those tables are not the same game.

When I played in the $6k vinyl to $11K digital, the digital was many times better on all source material and genre. The higher level table vaults ahead of the digital on the above noted genre. I just can't get digital to bridge the gap with my best files in rhe hard drive via HQ player. Its close on some. Digital is very very good. It's just a tad behind a really good piece of vinyl.

15. Thanks aKnyght thanked for this post
    Likes Kuoppis liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Im gonna change my position. Assume I have the best of the best vinyl of something, and the best of the best digital file. Not even the same album. Just I found a great copy of something.

I have not found a digital file that has the same level of natural purity and tone as vinyl has. This is especially true with vocals and unamplified instruments. Digital excels at pop, rap and rock. Digital just can't do what vinyl does on classical, jazz and chicks with guitar music. The vinyl is more accurate and harmonically complete. It has a more realistic recreation of being there.

This is a comparison between 2 sources, both about $13k. Digital maybe more like 11k. The big jump was getting a "real" TT. A $3k table is not the same as a $10k table. When you leave Project, Rega and step up, the world changes for vinyl. Those tables are not the same game.

When I played in the $6k vinyl to $11K digital, the digital was many times better on all source material and genre. The higher level table vaults ahead of the digital on the above noted genre. I just can't get digital to bridge the gap with my best files in rhe hard drive via HQ player. Its close on some. Digital is very very good. It's just a tad behind a really good piece of vinyl.
    Well said, and also notice the 3D a great vinyl setup can bring. Compare on an album like Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson. The digital file (24/192) cut from the same master sounds very different from the vinyl pressing (right from the tapes).

And I agree with you whole heartedly on tone and harmonics.

Since I started this thread, it has put a huge smile on my face every day to read wonderful posts like yours and Randyís, among others. The whole point of my OP was that we can and should enjoy both. Isnít that what the hobby is all about?

Itís not unlike modern sports cars that have different driving modes. Isnít it a lot more fun to have options rather than just one ďmodeĒ?

Not to start a controversy, but I will bet once you discover your great vinyl rig, you will enjoy your system and your music even more.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

17. Likes Kuoppis liked this post

Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast