AudioQuest Niagara 7000 vs. 5000 - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AudioQuest Niagara 7000 vs. 5000

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    I made some major changes since my last post. I traded in my Niagara 7000 for two Niagara 5000’s. The Niagara 5000’s agree much better with my quirky power situation (big swings in voltage and EMI).

Each of my MSB Select 2 power supplies gets its own low current duplex in my first Niagara 5000, which is plugged into my first dedicated 20 amp line. I find the treble and midrange has more ease than the less noise reduction high current outlets, yet retains outstanding dynamics.

My entire network (modem, router, NAS and Roon Nucleus Plus), each device gets its own low current duplex on my second Niagara 5000, which is on my second dedicated 20 amp line. Lastly, each monoblock amplifier and subwoofer monoblock amplifier gets its own high current duplex. Much trial and error to come up with this configuration. I am very pleased with the results.

Ken
    Thanks for the update. If I didn't have all my front end gear plugged into my Denali I would probably give the Niagara unit a go.

I see my last post on this topic was over 15 months ago. As I noted then I was waiting to try Transparent Opus Power Cords on my amps. I liked them more than the Shunyata's I was using connected to the Denali. I now run my Momentum's with the Opus connected direct to the wall. All my other gear goes into the Denali 6000T using Shunyata on my digital gear and Transparent on my analog.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

2. Likes Alpinist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How much hum were you guys actually getting. I sit in the middle with my friends. 2 have dead quiet systems. One uses no power conditioning. I wired his system. Another uses equitech. Another has all sorts of noise and uses all sorts ot gear and still has noise. Another is strait in the wall and has fluctuating noise. I helped on some of the wiring on the last. Mine has minor constant noise that comes and goes. Never very loud but always there. I want mine dead quiet but the 3 of us with noise have tried so many devices out there but hear them all.

FWIW, better grounding, isolation of branch circuit wiring in the panel and running to the rack as well as separation of all wires behind the rack got rid of 70% of the noise, i'm still styck with 30% I can't clear. I am actually starting to think I have radio interference. I wonder if a shield around the equipment would stop the noise. My CJ amp was more quiet with the tube shield onm but it compressed the power and shunted the highs. Or so I thought I heard. Maybe it doesn't even hum and its all in my head.
    Hahaaaaa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    How much hum were you guys actually getting. I sit in the middle with my friends. 2 have dead quiet systems. One uses no power conditioning. I wired his system. Another uses equitech. Another has all sorts of noise and uses all sorts ot gear and still has noise. Another is strait in the wall and has fluctuating noise. I helped on some of the wiring on the last. Mine has minor constant noise that comes and goes. Never very loud but always there. I want mine dead quiet but the 3 of us with noise have tried so many devices out there but hear them all.

FWIW, better grounding, isolation of branch circuit wiring in the panel and running to the rack as well as separation of all wires behind the rack got rid of 70% of the noise, i'm still styck with 30% I can't clear. I am actually starting to think I have radio interference. I wonder if a shield around the equipment would stop the noise. My CJ amp was more quiet with the tube shield onm but it compressed the power and shunted the highs. Or so I thought I heard. Maybe it doesn't even hum and its all in my head.
    Hahaaaaa
    I had an audible buzz with the Niagara 7000. The Niagara 5000’s are dead quiet.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select 2 DAC with Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock, Renderer V2 Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000ís with Hurricane Power Cords

5. Likes Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kingrex, all of my previous c j amps, at least a dozen over the years, could hum a bit. Especially the monoblocks. They suggested lifting the grounds. That always worked. They also recommend going direct to the wall with the power amp.
    Best,
    Wilson Yvette speakers, conrad-johnson GAT pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART 150 Amplifier, dCS Bartok DAC, Marantz SA7S1 digital player, Magnum Dynalab MD108 tuner, Sota/Ortofon Kontra B table, Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC, USB and power cables, MIT Magnum One speaker and IC cables, Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables, AQ Hurricane and Tornado power cables, Shunyata PC and Delta digital cords, Symposium and Stillpoint vibration control, JL Audio Fathom 113 subwoofer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3