Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,386

    Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Congrats to Stephen (Puma Cat) on the review of the 10. I guess he liked it, a lot!
    _______________

    Mike

  2. #2

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Congrats to Stephen (Puma Cat) on the review of the 10. I guess he liked it, a lot!
    Hi Mike,
    Many thanks. Yes, I did like it a lot. If I were in the market for a TT, I'd simply get the P10 and call it a day.

    Job done.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,386

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Great! I always thought of Rega as well made, very good sounding and reasonably priced components.

    At one point, I had a Rega RB300 arm on my Linn LP-12 in the late 1980s.
    _______________

    Mike

  4. #4

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Great! I always thought of Rega as well made, very good sounding and reasonably priced components.

    At one point, I had a Rega RB300 arm on my Linn LP-12 in the late 1980s.
    Hi Mike!

    Just my perspective having lived with the P10 for some months...it's not very good-sounding, it's exceptionally good-sounding. The engineering and materials science in that platter, tonearm, and main bearing, for example, is INSANE. This deck is not to be taken lightly: "Oh yeah, Regas are great...for the money." Uh...NO. This is no lightweight; I'd put the P10 up against decks costing $15,000. And...it may well best them in a number of areas, including it's astonishingly low noise floor, neutrality, and ability to extract information from the record groove.

    One should not dismiss the new P10 based on its price, with the assumption a more expensive will necessarily sound better. Or worse yet, not considered because of its price point.

    It's also the least-fussy and most durable deck I can think of.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,472

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Hi Mike,
    If I were in the market for a TT, I'd simply get the P10 and call it a day.

    Job done.
    Stephen, I could not agree more ! but if $$ were in need of being pinched the Technics 1200G would not be far off my radar !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    "Clueless" in California
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Hi Mike!

    Just my perspective having lived with the P10 for some months...it's not very good-sounding, it's exceptionally good-sounding. The engineering and materials science in that platter, tonearm, and main bearing, for example, is INSANE. This deck is not to be taken lightly: "Oh yeah, Regas are great...for the money." Uh...NO. This is no lightweight; I'd put the P10 up against decks costing $15,000. And...it may well best them in a number of areas, including it's astonishingly low noise floor, neutrality, and ability to extract information from the record groove.

    One should not dismiss the new P10 based on its price, with the assumption a more expensive will necessarily sound better. Or worse yet, not considered because of its price point.

    It's also the least-fussy and most durable deck I can think of.
    which $15,000+ 'tables have you reviewed in your system?
    TURNTABLE TechDAS Airforce III | TONEARMS Graham Phantom III + Ikeda IT-345 CR-1 | CARTRIDGES ZYX Omega X SB2 + Ikeda 9TP + Koetsu Black Goldline Mono + Decca London Jubilee | PHONO STAGE Boulder 1008 | DIGITAL Innuos MiniZen II + M2Tech Young + Palmer PS | LINE STAGE Boulder 810 | AMPLIFIERS Boulder 850 Monos | SPEAKERS Magico A5 | RACK Adona Eris 6DW | CABLES Mogami + Canare

  7. #7

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    which $15,000+ 'tables have you reviewed in your system?
    Mine.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    "Clueless" in California
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Mine.
    what is "mine"?
    TURNTABLE TechDAS Airforce III | TONEARMS Graham Phantom III + Ikeda IT-345 CR-1 | CARTRIDGES ZYX Omega X SB2 + Ikeda 9TP + Koetsu Black Goldline Mono + Decca London Jubilee | PHONO STAGE Boulder 1008 | DIGITAL Innuos MiniZen II + M2Tech Young + Palmer PS | LINE STAGE Boulder 810 | AMPLIFIERS Boulder 850 Monos | SPEAKERS Magico A5 | RACK Adona Eris 6DW | CABLES Mogami + Canare

  9. #9

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    The correct title for the Eurythmics song used for the review is "This City Never Sleeps" and not "In the City"...

    Could also be named "Kim Basinger is having a good time"...

    Audiophile on paper, poor bastard in reality...

    Dell desktop / JRiver / Arcam rDac / Pro-Ject Essential II Digital / NAD C 315 BEE / Totem Arro / Blue Jeans Cables

  10. #10

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimonSays View Post
    The correct title for the Eurythmics song used for the review is "This City Never Sleeps" and not "In the City"...

    Could also be named "Kim Basinger is having a good time"...

    Thanks, fortunately the orbits of the planets are still correct. And..the Editor should have caught that, as that is in fact, the job of...an Editor! They also incorrectly specified that the arm was the model RB2000 on the lead-in in the front of the magazine.

    I'll let 'em know...

    Cheers.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,472

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    what is "mine"?
    not 'yours' ...........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  12. #12

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Thanks, fortunately the orbits of the planets are still correct. And..the Editor should have caught that, as that is in fact, the job of...an Editor! They also incorrectly specified that the arm was the model RB2000 on the lead-in in the front of the magazine.

    I'll let 'em know...

    Cheers.
    Suggestion: Own your mistakes. The Editor will catch many of them. A form of writer best practice is to double and triple check things like that yourself before submitting copy. You should never dump on your editors (TAS has great editors). In most cases, they keep your mistakes from seeing the light of day. A good way to help them is to make sure you have facts like equipment info and song titles correct IF you can.

    Dre

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Front Row Center
    Posts
    3,138

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Many thanks. Yes, I did like it a lot. If I were in the market for a TT, I'd simply get the P10 and call it a day.

    Job done.

    Hard over coming their skeletal looks ...



    Regards
    * An Audiophile is only as old as his tweeters ..!!

  14. #14

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Dre_J View Post
    Suggestion: Own your mistakes. The Editor will catch many of them. A form of writer best practice is to double and triple check things like that yourself before submitting copy. You should never dump on your editors (TAS has great editors). In most cases, they keep your mistakes from seeing the light of day. A good way to help them is to make sure you have facts like equipment info and song titles correct IF you can.

    Dre
    I do. I go through my articles thoroughly, multiple times, including spell check, and grammatical and usage errors. But here is a FACT: there are NO perfect products or processes. They don't exist. This is why publications, journals, and magazines have Editors. That's their job description.

    And, I'm not dumping on my Editors, so please do not mis-characterise what I've said. Good editors don't mis-characterize people's comments, either. I simply pointed out a fact that the Editors used the incorrect model specification for the tonearm in the lead-in.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,472

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    I do. I go through my articles thoroughly, multiple times, including spell check, and grammatical and usage errors. But here is a FACT: there are NO perfect products or processes. They don't exist. This is why publications, journals, and magazines have Editors. That's their job description.

    And, I'm not dumping on my Editors, so please do not mis-characterise what I've said. Good editors don't mis-characterize people's comments, either. I simply pointed out a fact that the Editors used the incorrect model specification for the tonearm in the lead-in.
    Stephen, given what I see around me in the world today a grammatical error or two is the least of my concerns .......
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  16. #16

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    I do. I go through my articles thoroughly, multiple times, including spell check, and grammatical and usage errors. But here is a FACT: there are NO perfect products or processes. They don't exist. This is why publications, journals, and magazines have Editors. That's their job description.

    And, I'm not dumping on my Editors, so please do not mis-characterise what I've said. Good editors don't mis-characterize people's comments, either. I simply pointed out a fact that the Editors used the incorrect model specification for the tonearm in the lead-in.
    It's not as much what you said as it is combined with how you said it. Perception can become a person's reality for those who read what you wrote. This is not criticism, it is a comment for you to take into consideration.

    Logically following: Based on your two posts, you still haven't owned the mistake with the song naming. Instead, in the first response to the song title issue, you effectively blamed the editor by saying it's his fault your mistake got through instead of responding with a simple "my mistake" and moving on. Additionally, you then added to the editor issue you brought up with a comment about the intro in the TOC which wasn't even part of the original comment about the song. That progression is how a dump or pile-on can be perceived.

    In your second response, you still didn't really admit a mistake in the song title yet bring up the issue you threw on before about the opening TOC.

    The combination of these things do form an impression of dumping on an editor instead of just owning the mistake and moving on; This owning of a negligible, IMO, mistake should fit with the part you stated about there being no perfect person or process. Again, perception can become a person's reality for those who read what you say and how you say it. Being savvy, doesn't always come across because many readers are not intently trying to dissect your words in thread posts online.

    As stated before, my post was a suggestion for consideration to own your mistake and move on.

    Dre

  17. #17

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Dre_J View Post
    It's not as much what you said as it is combined with how you said it. Perception can become a person's reality for those who read what you wrote. This is not criticism, it is a comment for you to take into consideration.

    Logically following: Based on your two posts, you still haven't owned the mistake with the song naming. Instead, in the first response to the song title issue, you effectively blamed the editor by saying it's his fault your mistake got through instead of responding with a simple "my mistake" and moving on. Additionally, you then added to the editor issue you brought up with a comment about the intro in the TOC which wasn't even part of the original comment about the song. That progression is how a dump or pile-on can be perceived.

    In your second response, you still didn't really admit a mistake in the song title yet bring up the issue you threw on before about the opening TOC.

    The combination of these things do form an impression of dumping on an editor instead of just owning the mistake and moving on; This owning of a negligible, IMO, mistake should fit with the part you stated about there being no perfect person or process. Again, perception can become a person's reality for those who read what you say and how you say it. Being savvy, doesn't always come across because many readers are not intently trying to dissect your words in thread posts online.

    As stated before, my post was a suggestion for consideration to own your mistake and move on.

    Dre
    It was my mistake.

    Now, as you suggested, can we move on?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Front Row Center
    Posts
    3,138

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    C’mon guys whats the big deal , its only a TAS review , its not like it was a Stereophile review or sumting ..!





    Regards
    * An Audiophile is only as old as his tweeters ..!!

  19. #19

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    It was my mistake.
    That's a more appropriate response than the original, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Now, as you suggested, can we move on?
    Of course.

    Dre

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,472

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Audiophiles, weird is an understatement ......

    Thanks for biting your lip Stephen !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  21. #21

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    Audiophiles, weird is an understatement ......

    Thanks for biting your lip Stephen !
    What's that mean?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

    Reviewer for Positive Feedback

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,472

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    What's that mean?
    little slow this morning ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  23. #23

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    little slow this morning ?
    No, but you have no idea what you are talking about because you are not a reviewer so you are backing the wrong horse based on your feelings.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

    Reviewer for Positive Feedback

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    895

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    I wonder if sitting the P10 in an exotic wood “plinth” with a proper dust cover it would detract from its great sound? Think of sitting it in a shallow box with the dust cover attached to the box like a lid to the box. Make sense? Would it increase the skeletal aesthetics?

    As an addendum you could add adjustable feet to the box for leveling purposes too.

    Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Hard over coming their skeletal looks ...



    Regards
    Marty

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,472

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    No, but you have no idea what you are talking about because you are not a reviewer so you are backing the wrong horse based on your feelings.
    LOL, I was siding with Stephen, I suspect he understood and that's all that matters .........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  26. #26

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    I wonder if sitting the P10 in an exotic wood “plinth” with a proper dust cover it would detract from its great sound?
    Probably.

    Rega originally had a "surround plinth" for the RP8, that you could place around the skeletal plinth so that it would look more like a conventional turntable. The dustcover was placed over this surround plinth, if memory serves.

    Bottom line, acc. to Roy Gandy, is that users just took the surround plinth away and used only the core skeletal plinth by itself, so they discontinued the surround plinth idea for the P8 and P10.

  27. #27

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    LOL, I was siding with Stephen, I suspect he understood and that's all that matters .........
    I did, thanks, Dave.

  28. #28

    Re: Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    LOL, I was siding with Stephen, I suspect he understood and that's all that matters .........
    I knew you were, I just wanted to dispel all doubt.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

    Reviewer for Positive Feedback

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Rega Planar 10 TAS Review

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •