Incoming: Luxman 505UXII

Shadowfax

Finally got a chance to hear one to convince myself I was doing the right thing. Now I can stop procrastinating.

I placed my order with Mike this morning.

Thanks for the fantastic deal, Mike!

s-l1600.jpg

Congratulations!

Looks like an awesome integrated. Can’t wait for an update.

Congrats, looks like a sweet piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just checked my tracking which I got late in the day yesterday and the Lux is already on the truck out for delivery today. I was expecting a week or two so now I am excited. Update to come but not sure if I will get it setup tonight or not.

I just checked my tracking which I got late in the day yesterday and the Lux is already on the truck out for delivery today. I was expecting a week or two so now I am excited. Update to come but not sure if I will get it setup tonight or not.

We don’t mess around! Now, if we could just get through that Shunyata backlog, we would have the cable going out too!

Packaging was decent, heavy double boxed, good plastic wrapped ends and a full cloth bathing cap over the unit. Heavy and solid.

I had to do some rearranging and removed my VAC and Stratos to rebuild my second system. I had to move the APC up a shelf for ventilation and placed the Rega P3 where the Stratos was. Needless to say, I took some Advill when I was done.

Out of the box and still cold it sounded decent. Played Chet Atkins Pickin on the Beatles on Vinyl and the Phono in the lux is a world different than my Rotel receiver. As it warmed up you could hear the subtle changes to the top end as well as s nice grip of the bass. I have to say, my Dyns have never shined in the top like this but still keep all the bass. I played some Bob James, Special EFX, and finally Heather by Jessica Williams Live at Yoshis sounds closer to when I first heard it thru Lampi - Pure Audio Project gear. Both Victor Wooten's Bass and Vocals are crisp and clear on The Message from Bela Fleck.

Oddly and just like with my old Hafler 945 pre, I so far have preferred the Line Direct off, so Tone circuit engaged but flat. I also like the Loudness button for lower volumes. I still have to plug my Grados into the Headphone jack but I am sure it will be nothing less than all the other options. Its really nice to have remote volume after 15 years, let alone 2 volume knobs on the VAC. I figured out the HT Bypass but still have to re-run the setup on the Integra now.

So far Nothing to complain about really. It is a little imposing compared to a Hegel. It would have been cool if they gave you 2 meter light levels as opposed to just on or off, dim would have been perfect. The only other thing I struggled with are the Binding Posts. They are covered with a plastic shroud so I had a hard time making the connection plus my Synergistic cables have a narrower slot at both ends so they dont go over the post all the way. I had to adapt Bananas on the other end for the Dyns but they fit both the Counterpoint and Clearfields which they came with. The post knobs are also flimsy for a unit of this value but once connected it doesn't matter too much.

Other than the looks, Mrs Shadow who has a good ear loves it already. She picked Ian Anderson String Quartets which is recorded in a Cathedral and sounded fantastic. I suppose it will get better in time also.

Here are a few crappy shots in my not so well lit room.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    643.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    495.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    498 KB · Views: 78
Awesome! Always love unwrapping new gear. Congratulations! Give it a week or two and really enjoy.

Congrats Brian, I am sure you will love it more as it builds up hours. And yes those EU mandated shrouded binding posts are a pain in the ass as they then turn the posts sideways to accommodate bare wire so none but the widest spades will fit making banana's on the amp ends almost mandatory. Cardas as well as many sellers on Amazon make adapters for spades. I have the same ones on my Audia Flight integrated. I am sure there is a way to crack the shroud so as to get it off but I haven't tried yet. The same company that makes those binding posts makes them both ways.

Back