Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Hegel H30 Reference Amp

    I heard about these amps in passing and then did some research on them. On paper they sound like a great amp. Has anyone listened to this amp or any experience with Hegel products?

    thx
    allen


    Hegel H30 Reference Power Amplifier (TAS 223) | The Absolute Sound

    Last edited by socfan12; April 23, 2013 at 07:18 PM.


    Allen

    Speakers: Magico S7
    Amp: CH Precision A1
    Preamp: Trinity Preamp
    Phono: Trinity Phono
    TT: Kronos Sparta, Helena arm, Airtight PC-1
    Cables: Various: Nordost, Shunyata, Unity Audio, Ansuz



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    103
    Very appealing aesthetically and consistently good reviews. The technical director, Bent, has an interesting background (back page of latest TAS which I'm sure you've seen!). Haven't heard them though...
    Ron

    *Almarro A318B, Red Wine Audio Signature 16 and 30.2 lfp-v, Schiit Yggdrasil A2, Metrum Ambre Roon endpoint, Sonictransporter i5, Roon, Tidal, Clearaudio Concept wood/satisfy + nagaoka mp-200, Graham Slee Reflex Gold; DeVore Gibbon The Nines; audience, auditorium, snake river, audioquest, wireworld, shunyata cabling*

  3. #3
    That's what I'm hearing, too, Ron.

    To quote the retailer (who shall rename nameless) who first introduced me to the brand: "I have a Hegel amp that is infinitely more musical than your current system at a fraction of the price..."

    Needless to say I won't be auditioning that amp at his showroom, LOL! But am intrigued just the same.


    Allen

    Speakers: Magico S7
    Amp: CH Precision A1
    Preamp: Trinity Preamp
    Phono: Trinity Phono
    TT: Kronos Sparta, Helena arm, Airtight PC-1
    Cables: Various: Nordost, Shunyata, Unity Audio, Ansuz



  4. #4
    I just bought the Hegel H30 and P30. Still boxed and unopened. I had previously auditioned the P30 and it beat my VAC preamp. It comes close to the performance level of my ARC Ref40 preamp. The H30 is equally incredible, especially when paired with the P30. Together at roughly $23,000 they compete with six figure set ups relative musicality, drive, grip, delicacy, harmonics etc. They could charge 3x what they are and I wouldn't think that is insane. Freakishly good for the price. H30 beat my VAC 450S on a few dimensions. Nothing approaches the magic of my Constellation, but if I didn't have the Centaur I would be happy with the H30. Robert Harley's review is spot on.

  5. #5
    Thx, Darrin. Wow, Hegel and Contellation! Sweet! The Centaur's driving the S5s, correct? Would love to hear any feedback if you tried the Hegel w the S5s. . That's the combo I was considering.


    Allen

    Speakers: Magico S7
    Amp: CH Precision A1
    Preamp: Trinity Preamp
    Phono: Trinity Phono
    TT: Kronos Sparta, Helena arm, Airtight PC-1
    Cables: Various: Nordost, Shunyata, Unity Audio, Ansuz



  6. #6
    Yes the Hegel and S5 is very very good. If I didn't have Centaur I would mate Hegel with S5. But if you can reach for Centaur that is where the magic lives. If you want to buy a new P30 and H30 send me a PM. Was going to use in my second system but don't have to.

  7. #7
    Thx, Darrin. Would like to give them a listen first.

    Until then, how would you describe the difference between the two?

    Cheers
    Allen


    Allen

    Speakers: Magico S7
    Amp: CH Precision A1
    Preamp: Trinity Preamp
    Phono: Trinity Phono
    TT: Kronos Sparta, Helena arm, Airtight PC-1
    Cables: Various: Nordost, Shunyata, Unity Audio, Ansuz



  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Quebec Canada
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    That's what I'm hearing, too, Ron.

    To quote the retailer (who shall rename nameless) who first introduced me to the brand: "I have a Hegel amp that is infinitely more musical than your current system at a fraction of the price..."

    Needless to say I won't be auditioning that amp at his showroom, LOL! But am intrigued just the same.
    Hi Allen, just to let you know IF you ever choose the Hegel amplifier it will be my pleasure to take your Jeff Rowland out of your hands just for you to have more room.
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    17,675
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
    Hi Allen, just to let you know IF you ever choose the Hegel amplifier it will be my pleasure to take your Jeff Rowland out of your hands just for you to have more room.
    Ha!
    Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Luxman 590AX Mark II, Job INTegrated.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (x 2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
    Hi Allen, just to let you know IF you ever choose the Hegel amplifier it will be my pleasure to take your Jeff Rowland out of your hands just for you to have more room.
    Haha! I'll keep that in mind, Andre! I actually had this on Agon for a little while before I pulled it. A friend of mine said keep it as it's one of Rowland's best.

    Hey Joe, go for the 458s mentioned in the other thread, Howie will pick up your 108, I'll buy Darrin's Hegel, and Andre will buy my Rowland. Come on, let's get this swap meet rolling!


    Allen

    Speakers: Magico S7
    Amp: CH Precision A1
    Preamp: Trinity Preamp
    Phono: Trinity Phono
    TT: Kronos Sparta, Helena arm, Airtight PC-1
    Cables: Various: Nordost, Shunyata, Unity Audio, Ansuz



  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    17,675
    Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Haha! I'll keep that in mind, Andre! I actually had this on Agon for a little while before I pulled it. A friend of mine said keep it as it's one of Rowland's best.

    Hey Joe, go for the 458s mentioned in the other thread, Howie will pick up your 108, I'll buy Darrin's Hegel, and Andre will buy my Rowland. Come on, let's get this swap meet rolling!
    Now you are thinking
    Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Luxman 590AX Mark II, Job INTegrated.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (x 2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    278
    Darrin what amp were you running before the Constellation?

    John
    Gryphon Essence stereo amp and preamp/dac
    Waiting on Fyne Audio F1-10
    Lumin T2, Moon 260 Transport, Denali V2 Hurricane power cords
    Shunyata Research Alpha V2 XC, Sigma USB and Ethernet
    Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects

  13. #13
    sorry duplicate post
    Last edited by Dpod4; April 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM.

  14. #14
    Hi, John. Here's the convoluted history of my amps, thanks for asking....

    I started with a VAC 300.1a running Esoteric MG20 speakers (wow the transparency was too much for me!), then upgraded to the VAC Statement 450S and it was a definite step up....more holographic, more drive, more texture, more, more, more of the VAC goodness....and the tube heat ugggh. Then I auditioned a Hegel P30 which surprised the hell out of me. I was surprised by the little P30...it beat my VAC preamp...made my VAC 450S sound so much better through my Magico speakers...more extension, bigger, etc. One area it didn't beat the VAC was in harmonic texture. The beauty of VAC is a violin sounds like a violin - no electronic sheen that disrupts the illusion of musicians in your room. But the P30 (and the H30) brought a "bigness" of sound and grip especially on the low end that made me think my Magicos were playing midrange and above with the VAC. No heat and perfect synergy with the P30, I was ready to put the H30 into active duty and call it a day.

    Then....Then....Then....and it is the biggest "THEN" I can write....along came Constellation Centaur (I'm listening to it right now). I don't have the words to express what I'm hearing. I didn't know it could sound this good. If Magico wanted to have powered S5s all they have to do is incorporate the Centaur and call it a day. It is everything and then some....but not too much. Gentle and strong at the same time. Full but precise. My woofers have no dust on them. ZERO, absolutely ZERO fatigue, but 1,000,000,000,000,000 percent detail and transparency. Smooth as a baby's bottom. I could go on and on and on. Best way i can describe is the Centaur with the Magico S5 speakers exceeds my expectations and obsessive perfection every time I hit play or drop the cue.

    If I had to choose one word to describe the sound of the Centaur it would be "delectable"

  15. #15
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    17,675
    Darrin,

    I can not tell you how happy I am to see you this excited about gear. I was really missing you over "there" and I am so glad to have you here.
    Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Luxman 590AX Mark II, Job INTegrated.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (x 2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  16. #16
    Joe,
    I am appreciative that you invited me over "here"....you and I are spiritual audio brothers for sure.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    17,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    Joe,
    I am appreciative that you invited me over "here"....you and I are spiritual audio brothers for sure.
    Amen to that. Your experience has been an amazing journey for me as well as all of us.
    Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Luxman 590AX Mark II, Job INTegrated.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (x 2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  18. #18
    Hi, Allen.

    H30 is in charge and in control (especially when mated with P30), and throws a big sound with great articulation at the low end and a sweet high end.

    The Constellation Centaur is hard to put into words....all that the VAC and the Hegel brought and then more of everything that matters including delicacy, float, fullness, nuance, detail, balance, etc. I'd love to sell my Hegel equipment but if someone had the coin, I'd point them to Constellation if they owned the S5 speakers. Hegel will provide happiness. Constellation...ecstasy.

    Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Thx, Darrin. Would like to give them a listen first.

    Until then, how would you describe the difference between the two?

    Cheers
    Allen

  19. #19

    Re: Hegel H30 Reference Amp

    Thank you for the great description, Darrin, very helpful. Over the next month, I'm sure I will audition the two amps. Sounds like a win in either case!


    Allen

    Speakers: Magico S7
    Amp: CH Precision A1
    Preamp: Trinity Preamp
    Phono: Trinity Phono
    TT: Kronos Sparta, Helena arm, Airtight PC-1
    Cables: Various: Nordost, Shunyata, Unity Audio, Ansuz



  20. #20

    Re: Hegel H30 Reference Amp

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    Hi, John. Here's the convoluted history of my amps, thanks for asking....

    I started with a VAC 300.1a running Esoteric MG20 speakers (wow the transparency was too much for me!), then upgraded to the VAC Statement 450S and it was a definite step up....more holographic, more drive, more texture, more, more, more of the VAC goodness....and the tube heat ugggh. Then I auditioned a Hegel P30 which surprised the hell out of me. I was surprised by the little P30...it beat my VAC preamp...made my VAC 450S sound so much better through my Magico speakers...more extension, bigger, etc. One area it didn't beat the VAC was in harmonic texture. The beauty of VAC is a violin sounds like a violin - no electronic sheen that disrupts the illusion of musicians in your room. But the P30 (and the H30) brought a "bigness" of sound and grip especially on the low end that made me think my Magicos were playing midrange and above with the VAC. No heat and perfect synergy with the P30, I was ready to put the H30 into active duty and call it a day.

    Then....Then....Then....and it is the biggest "THEN" I can write....along came Constellation Centaur (I'm listening to it right now). I don't have the words to express what I'm hearing. I didn't know it could sound this good. If Magico wanted to have powered S5s all they have to do is incorporate the Centaur and call it a day. It is everything and then some....but not too much. Gentle and strong at the same time. Full but precise. My woofers have no dust on them. ZERO, absolutely ZERO fatigue, but 1,000,000,000,000,000 percent detail and transparency. Smooth as a baby's bottom. I could go on and on and on. Best way i can describe is the Centaur with the Magico S5 speakers exceeds my expectations and obsessive perfection every time I hit play or drop the cue.

    If I had to choose one word to describe the sound of the Centaur it would be "delectable"
    Darrin, I have been following your post and comments about the Hegel H30/P30 combo that I will be auditioning next Sunday.
    I currently own an integrated Luxman 590AX, 30 watts class A. My room is 10X12 not the best but good enough for NYC standards of living.
    I am looking for an amp that bring nirvana on near fields at low volume without being forward sounding.
    I own Harbeth 30.1 and Dali Helicon's 800 MKII.
    What do you think about the Hegel combo?
    Regards

    Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

  21. #21

    Re: Hegel H30 Reference Amp

    Quote Originally Posted by junglern View Post
    Darrin, I have been following your post and comments about the Hegel H30/P30 combo that I will be auditioning next Sunday.
    I currently own an integrated Luxman 590AX, 30 watts class A. My room is 10X12 not the best but good enough for NYC standards of living.
    I am looking for an amp that bring nirvana on near fields at low volume without being forward sounding.
    I own Harbeth 30.1 and Dali Helicon's 800 MKII.
    What do you think about the Hegel combo?
    Regards

    Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Hello. I was very impressed with the Hegel combo. I thought great performance at that price point. I used the amp in stereo mode and it was plenty to drive my Maggie 3.7 and Magico S5 speakers. I thought the constellation was better. And then happened cross used marantz monos that (in my system) sounded even better. Always important to try the gear since impedance and power matching to a speaker is important.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    FRANCE
    Posts
    314

    Re: Hegel H30 Reference Amp

    Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Haha! I'll keep that in mind, Andre! I actually had this on Agon for a little while before I pulled it. A friend of mine said keep it as it's one of Rowland's best.

    Hey Joe, go for the 458s mentioned in the other thread, Howie will pick up your 108, I'll buy Darrin's Hegel, and Andre will buy my Rowland. Come on, let's get this swap meet rolling!
    What is the model of the model of the Jeff Rowland, please ?
    Thanks

    Envoyé de mon Note 9P en utilisant Tapatalk
    Marantz SA7S1/GRIMM AUDIO CC1/MARK LEVINSON 360S+TECHNICS SL1210 MKII/ORTOFON X1-MC/VPI CLASSIC 3 in rosewood/Audio-Technica ART-9/ESOTERIC E03+TAG MC LAREN T32R+JEFF ROWLAND CORUS+JEFF ROWLAND MODEL 625+Magnepan 3.7i+Cables line: all Furutech lineflux+power cord DIY

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hegel H30 Reference Amp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •