Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 108
  1. #1
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    28,984

    High End Audio Dealers

    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Block Audio, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Enleum (Bakoon), Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, HiFi Rose, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Neutral Zone
    Posts
    426

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Really good article, thanks for sharing it.
    How big do you think the high end audio market is today?
    Tom

    Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

    Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

    Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

    OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

  3. #3
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    28,984

    High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
    Really good article, thanks for sharing it.
    How big do you think the high end audio market is today?
    $1 billion+ WORLD WIDE, excluding CI and HT. Also, EXCLUDING headphones which are north of $10 billion on their own.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Block Audio, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Enleum (Bakoon), Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, HiFi Rose, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Neutral Zone
    Posts
    426

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    $1 billion+ WORLD WIDE, excluding CI and HT. Also, EXCLUDING headphones which are north of $10 billion on their own.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks - kind of what I expected. The headphone number was a surprise though. So high end audio is a very small market as markets go. This gives me a greater appreciation for all the great people in the business.

    Thanks again.
    Tom

    Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

    Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

    Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

    OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    This article reminds me of the days I used to manage audio stores. It was great if not for the customers. But, you would also get some really great people who truly appreciated your assistance, knowledge and want for them to get what was right for them.

    Unfortunately you would get the 10% or so who would not think twice about taking up an hour of your time, on a Saturday when the store was full, just to then go and see if they could beat the price. Beyond frustrating.

    Every person should be required to work retail for one year. They would never treat stores and sales people like this again.

    I now always ask for my best price, but, the couple of people I deal with know that if I call and ask about something I will buy. Our Mercedes dealer does not mind that I will work hard with him because he also knows that Cheryal and I have purchased nine cars from him.

    The point is, I never did mind when a customer worked hard with me when I also knew they were a customer that bought from me. I had a lot of consistent customers because they knew up front I would give them my honest opinions and always give them as good as I could.

    And this I believe is the entire point of the article. Appreciate your dealers time and efforts. You do not deserve their time and attention if you have no intentions of buying from them.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Randy I agree with most of what you say. The only issue is there are many “tire kicker” customers in this industry and the sales teams need to account for this. How you are treated during the discovery phase of what gear you are seeking will determine if you come back or not at the time of purchase. There are so many choices and combinations available to us audiophiles for such a small market. Treat everyone as a customer ready to drop six figures on a system and hopefully your treatment to that customer will leave an impression on them to come back.

    On the other hand there are the few who ruin it for the honest tire kickers/buyers. I recently visited Suncoast and had the pleasure to see Mikes business. He shared stories of people borrowing gear to demo returning it in unsalable condition. Looking back at the conversation it seemed Mike kept these encounters fresh in his memory. This is a shame Mike has had to deal with these grifters since he really offers a great buying experience.


    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    This article reminds me of the days I used to manage audio stores. It was great if not for the customers. But, you would also get some really great people who truly appreciated your assistance, knowledge and want for them to get what was right for them.

    Unfortunately you would get the 10% or so who would not think twice about taking up an hour of your time, on a Saturday when the store was full, just to then go and see if they could beat the price. Beyond frustrating.

    Every person should be required to work retail for one year. They would never treat stores and sales people like this again.

    I now always ask for my best price, but, the couple of people I deal with know that if I call and ask about something I will buy. Our Mercedes dealer does not mind that I will work hard with him because he also knows that Cheryal and I have purchased nine cars from him.

    The point is, I never did mind when a customer worked hard with me when I also knew they were a customer that bought from me. I had a lot of consistent customers because they knew up front I would give them my honest opinions and always give them as good as I could.

    And this I believe is the entire point of the article. Appreciate your dealers time and efforts. You do not deserve their time and attention if you have no intentions of buying from them.
    Marty

    Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Randy I agree with most of what you say. The only issue is there are many “tire kicker” customers in this industry and the sales teams need to account for this. How you are treated during the discovery phase of what gear you are seeking will determine if you come back or not at the time of purchase. There are so many choices and combinations available to us audiophiles for such a small market. Treat everyone as a customer ready to drop six figures on a system and hopefully your treatment to that customer will leave an impression on them to come back.

    On the other hand there are the few who ruin it for the honest tire kickers/buyers. I recently visited Suncoast and had the pleasure to see Mikes business. He shared stories of people borrowing gear to demo returning it in unsalable condition. Looking back at the conversation it seemed Mike kept these encounters fresh in his memory. This is a shame Mike has had to deal with these grifters since he really offers a great buying experience.
    Hey Marty, I actually 100% agree with you on treating every customer with respect and treat them as a person who wants to learn and understand. However, I also believe that all customers also need to treat the dealer, salesman, or whatever they want to call them with the same respect and also understand the situation. If the store is very busy (ala a Saturday) then they have to understand that this is not the time to expect the dealer to spend hours with them. Also, it is not right to play one dealer off another. I have seen customers playing one salesperson off another which is just plan rude.

    I also believe that if a dealer is willing to loan a piece it is the customers responsibility to care for the piece and it should only be a piece that the customer is seriously considering purchasing. Returning a piece that is not 100% perfect is completely unacceptable.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Unfortunately Randy we don’t live in a utopia for audio buying. All the dealers near me are mostly run from their home so appointment only. One dealer has two store fronts but as a perfect example I was in the market to buy speakers and was treated like a COVID infected leper. Luckily I found my Von Schweikert shortly after that visit. I have never stepped foot in those stores since. I tend to email the dealers and ask my questions as this gives them time to respond and answer at their leisure. If they don’t have time to at least answer an email this indicates they will have even less time for me if I decide to come listen. Maybe there should be a golden rule for all audio dealers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Hey Marty, I actually 100% agree with you on treating every customer with respect and treat them as a person who wants to learn and understand. However, I also believe that all customers also need to treat the dealer, salesman, or whatever they want to call them with the same respect and also understand the situation. If the store is very busy (ala a Saturday) then they have to understand that this is not the time to expect the dealer to spend hours with them. Also, it is not right to play one dealer off another. I have seen customers playing one salesperson off another which is just plan rude.

    I also believe that if a dealer is willing to loan a piece it is the customers responsibility to care for the piece and it should only be a piece that the customer is seriously considering purchasing. Returning a piece that is not 100% perfect is completely unacceptable.
    Marty

    Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    My experiences were back when B&M was almost the only choice. I only recall one guy that ran from his home and had his "clients". He was obviously ahead of his time. At that time there were the local dealers sometimes with multiple local stores... the big chain stores came in and acted almost like the Internet sellers do now.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  10. #10

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    In a perfect world.... Every High End Audio dealer should expect every client to come in and spend six figures after a brief listen.

    In reality, just like any other business, you get a few high end clients that will spend a ton of money over the years, some that may spend a little and some that will totally waste your time...

    It takes all kinds. If you don't want to deal with the general public, make your business by appointment only and with a large deposit before entering the door LOL.

    Common guys, high end audio carries one of the largest dealer markups out there. Car dealers work much harder for a measly few percentage points...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    684

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    Common guys, high end audio carries one of the largest dealer markups out there. Car dealers work much harder for a measly few percentage points...
    I think most in market for high audio already know this. This is why I would never pay MSRP. I fully understand overhead and time spent with a customer is money but if a fair price is quoted then there is no reason to look elsewhere. IMHO
    Paul

    Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

  12. #12

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    I think most in market for high audio already know this. This is why I would never pay MSRP. I fully understand overhead and time spent with a customer is money but if a fair price is quoted then there is no reason to look elsewhere. IMHO
    Notice I did not mention anything relating to price in my post above. I kept my comments relating to serving customers and investing dealer time into such activities only. Given the healthy profit margins, it should more than compensate for the law of averages when it comes to the retail business model.

    Of course everyone always wants to pay the least amount possible. However, there were times when I paid full retail as there was no other option, there were times I got discounts and it was appreciated. There were times when I gladly paid full retail because I was given vertical trade up opportunities from my local dealer making upgrades a no brainer while getting full trade in value of what I paid for the last pair of speakers. That only becomes possible when working within the healthy profit margin... It was a win win for a guy who enjoyed the constant upgrades, myself and the guy who was glad to supply the thrill, my dealer...

    At the end of the day, if you enjoy this hobby and want to upgrade often, do try to be fair to your local dealer and develop a relationship that would be fair and pleasant for both parties involved.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    684

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    I have much respect for all Hi-Fi dealers, I know for the most part they are in it for the love of music. I would gladly pay more to the dealer I have a relationship with then to save a few dollars to a dealer I don't even know.
    Paul

    Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Neutral Zone
    Posts
    426

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    My experience with brick and mortar audio dealers has been mixed, and that’s being generous.

    I have found one dealer that I have done regular business with over the past 20 years and it’s been great. I get good advice, competitive pricing, the chance to home audition gear, and great service. I buy a fair amount of stuff from them. Other dealers have talked down to me or wasted my time, and that’s a shame.
    Tom

    Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

    Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

    Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

    OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

  15. #15

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    Common guys, high end audio carries one of the largest dealer markups out there. Car dealers work much harder for a measly few percentage points...
    That is completely incorrect, a high margin product would run in the 300-900% region. Audio is nowhere near this.

  16. #16

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    That is completely incorrect, a high margin product would run in the 300-900% region. Audio is nowhere near this.
    Why don't we also throw pharmaceuticals in there and evoke Martin Shkreli and his life saving drug that went from $13.50 to $750 overnight... Or 1400% profit margins of Big Pharma. He is in jail now, Big Pharma is not but thanks for pointing out that there are even higher margin products out there. Makes me feel better that speakers costing as much as a luxury automobile are ONLY marked up 50%....

  17. #17

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Again, many things wrong with your statement, but more importantly… why are you here then? Stop paying these insane prices and move on to another hobby?

  18. #18

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    Again, many things wrong with your statement, but more importantly… why are you here then? Stop paying these insane prices and move on to another hobby?
    Read my posts above where I mentioned paying full retail myself and building a relationship with dealers. Don’t tell me what to do and don’t be rude, you wouldn’t do it to my face. Ok MR. dizzy nuts?

  19. #19

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Indeed very interesting and forthright article --thank you for posting Mike. But we all know this subject will never be resolved

    --hell its been around since the 70's--anyone trust Shelley's?-- The paragraph on "Bad Eggs" yes they are in EVERY game in this world just we kick on with the rollers in the Hi Fi idiom however thankfully Cream rises to the top like your good self!

    --the Good Hi End Guys will be rewarded -their passion will rub off on the buyer and hopeful synergy for both in an outcome will eventuate.

    Cavet Emptor

    From the Article--

    Consulting is the territory of a high-end audio dealer. Not us.” Yes Eric, you’re absolutely right."

    Incidentally I notice your good friend Jay is offering a Consulting service on his site
    Will you be schooling him in "pitfalls" with becoming a Hi End dealer?

    Good listening,

    Bruce

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    293

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    I strive to be one of the good customers. I cannot help that there are bad customers out there, but I can control how I interact with a luxury goods dealer.

    I've been listening to speakers a couple of times in the past 6 weeks. I make an appointment. During the day / during the week. NOT on a Saturday. Sometimes that's the best thing I can do as a customer, I think; occupy the quiet times in the store.
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    With supply issues I have yet to find one dealer who have speakers on my list I can go listen to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
    I strive to be one of the good customers. I cannot help that there are bad customers out there, but I can control how I interact with a luxury goods dealer.

    I've been listening to speakers a couple of times in the past 6 weeks. I make an appointment. During the day / during the week. NOT on a Saturday. Sometimes that's the best thing I can do as a customer, I think; occupy the quiet times in the store.
    Marty

    Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    That is completely incorrect, a high margin product would run in the 300-900% region. Audio is nowhere near this.
    Audio, from my experience is in the 30% to 40% region. However the brick and mortar stores have a lot of overhead... rent/mortgage, staff, insurance, electric bills, etc., etc. Yes online has some of this, but it is a whole lot less since you are basically answering the phone or reply to e-mail. They do not have to maintain show rooms, staff to explain how it all works, etc.

    Therefore I would say that audio does not have a high margin. It actually has a pretty minimal margin at best... and then when you start considering returns, etc. it is amazing that most B&M stores can survive... probably why there are a very small percentage now than there used to be.

    I totally understand that presenting a nice experience for potential customers is an absolute must, but I can also get that sometimes it might be hard when some jackass took up several hours of your time and then went and purchased an item that you showed them from an online dealer, who had no skin in the game so to speak, just because the online dealer was willing to sell it for $5 less. And yes, this happens. Some customers are really that big of assholes.

    So if a dealer is not the nicest, sometimes it could be because some ass wipe just screwed him. I know you don't deserve this, but dealers are also humans too.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
    I strive to be one of the good customers. I cannot help that there are bad customers out there, but I can control how I interact with a luxury goods dealer.

    I've been listening to speakers a couple of times in the past 6 weeks. I make an appointment. During the day / during the week. NOT on a Saturday. Sometimes that's the best thing I can do as a customer, I think; occupy the quiet times in the store.
    Being considerate and understanding is about the best thing a customer can do to establish a good relationship.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  24. #24

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Audio, from my experience is in the 30% to 40% region. However the brick and mortar stores have a lot of overhead... rent/mortgage, staff, insurance, electric bills, etc., etc. Yes online has some of this, but it is a whole lot less since you are basically answering the phone or reply to e-mail. They do not have to maintain show rooms, staff to explain how it all works, etc.

    Therefore I would say that audio does not have a high margin. It actually has a pretty minimal margin at best... and then when you start considering returns, etc. it is amazing that most B&M stores can survive... probably why there are a very small percentage now than there used to be.

    I totally understand that presenting a nice experience for potential customers is an absolute must, but I can also get that sometimes it might be hard when some jackass took up several hours of your time and then went and purchased an item that you showed them from an online dealer, who had no skin in the game so to speak, just because the online dealer was willing to sell it for $5 less. And yes, this happens. Some customers are really that big of assholes.

    So if a dealer is not the nicest, sometimes it could be because some ass wipe just screwed him. I know you don't deserve this, but dealers are also humans too.
    I happen to know quite a few examples of AUDIO DEALERS that are doing quite well in life... There are smart business owners that know how to cater to and retain clients and sell them luxury items such as six figure speakers and mid to high five digit gear and then there are dealers that run their business into the ground, typically by not being able to deal with clients. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and boat purchases do not signal a poor audio dealer lifestyle to me.

  25. #25
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    28,984

    High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    I happen to know quite a few examples of AUDIO DEALERS that are doing quite well in life... There are smart business owners that know how to cater to and retain clients and sell them luxury items such as six figure speakers and mid to high five digit gear and then there are dealers that run their business into the ground, typically by not being able to deal with clients. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and boat purchases do not signal a poor audio dealer lifestyle to me.
    Some dealers had very successful businesses in a previous life. High End Audio Dealers


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Block Audio, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Enleum (Bakoon), Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, HiFi Rose, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    I guess those didn’t start off in the audio business using training wheels.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Some dealers had very successful businesses in a previous life. High End Audio Dealers


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Marty

    Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    I happen to know quite a few examples of AUDIO DEALERS that are doing quite well in life... There are smart business owners that know how to cater to and retain clients and sell them luxury items such as six figure speakers and mid to high five digit gear and then there are dealers that run their business into the ground, typically by not being able to deal with clients. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and boat purchases do not signal a poor audio dealer lifestyle to me.
    No one said that an audio dealer can't do well. Where did you get that out of my post? I basically said that the mark up is not as high as some tend to think. And also, this day and age the only place you find high end audio dealers are large cities. Without those numbers of potential clients they really cannot survive. Back in the day there were dealers in many smaller mid-size towns, that is rare now. I have to drive to either LA or SF to find a dealer to actually look at or listen to gear.

    So for many of us, there really is almost no opportunity to actually listen and compare without going on a road trip. Do you really think a dealer would consider an in home audition to a potential customer who lives 5 hours away? Unless they have a very established relationship there is no way that would even be considered.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Some dealers had very successful businesses in a previous life. High End Audio Dealers


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Repeated many times for different business / investment ventures…

    How to make a small fortune in the hi-end audio business — start with a large one!

  29. #29
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    28,984

    High End Audio Dealers

    I’ve had the pleasure of meeting some incredible people in this business. The folks on this forum, may only represent 5% of customers I’ve worked with (yes, it’s about 5%), but for the most part, all have been excellent and very professional.

    The challenge for most dealers are not the genuine members here, it’s the time wasters. The guy who asks you for 35 quotes because he changes his mind like the wind and then buys nothing. The calls that start out, “uhhh….what’s your best price on a Hegel 390?” Or those who are not genuine. They call and talk like they are genuine and sincere, waste lots of your time talking about the same nonsense, “oh, so you would say that the Pass is the most natural sounding of the two amps, but what about how it does with strings?” Meanwhile, you’re thinking, “we’ve had this same conversation 900 times.” Then he buys nothing. Ever.

    Don’t call from Canada to a US dealer and expect they will sell you anything or waste time.

    Don’t call a dealer if you’re just looking for the best price. Most today won’t play that game. Work with your local dealer or one you trust and pay them for their expertise and time. Remember, this is a journey, not a sprint and building a long term relationship with a dealer is key.

    Dealers love to work with people as consultants, not clerks. We love calls like “I’m downsizing my system and thinking about going with an integrated. What do you recommend?” We can then engage about their room, speakers, budget, etc. Much better than picking up the phone and the guy says “yeah, what’s your best price on a Hegel 390?”

    Don’t block your number and call a dealer. We won’t answer. We know what you’re doing.

    I could write a novel on the time wasters (NONE HERE). We had one guy who called and said “I have an Emotiva amp and if I bring it to your store and one of your amps beats it, I will buy it.” So, he brought it, we put it up against the 2160 and him and his buddy couldn’t believe how the Boulder crushed the Emotiva. He then reneged on buying it and left with his tail between the legs. I lost an hour and a half.

    If you spend time with a dealer and they recommend a particular product, don’t call them back 3 months later and tell them you bought it from someone else thinking that it’s a win because all dealers are on the same team right? No. We aren’t.

    Be honest, if you’re not buying and just want to listen, THAT’S OK!!! JUST TELL US!! Come on in, let’s have a coffee, listen and talk about music. We love the hobby too! Then if I need to attend to something else, I can hand you the iPad and you can keep rocking.

    Don’t borrow something unless you’re 100% sincere in purchasing it. Too many times, it’s been a bored person who just wants to play. We have banned two people from the store for doing just this over and over and over again. One was a young man in Orlando who kept borrowing stuff, so he could act like Mr. Big Shot on the Audiogon forums and he had no intent on buying anything. The other was a friend of a dear friend of mine (who has passed away), that acted like he knew everything about audio because he was a roadie in the 70’s for some band. He lives here in Sarasota, borrowed so much stuff from us, I lost track and then one day, borrows and MSB DAC from us and then tried to buy it from another dealer in Texas. That dealer called me and right then, he was banned. He lost the ability to borrow anything else in the future.

    As the folks who live here locally will tell you, I will happily loan anything to any of our customers - as long as they sincerely are interested in trying and maybe buying something. I’m willing to accept the opportunity cost (not having that product on the floor while someone else is using it) - if they are sincere. GOOD NEWS: MOST ARE SINCERE! Even if they don’t buy it, as long as they were sincere in their actions, I’m ok with it!

    I won’t give you the hard sell, because these are big ticket items. In return, I want people to just be honest, from “not buying, just looking” to “maybe next year” to “I’m ready to buy now, just need to decide on A vs B.” We can handle the truth! Don’t get a dealers hopes up, waste their time, waste their time doing 97 quotes and then buy nothing.

    It would shock people to realize how busy we are during the day. We aren’t sitting around listening. We are returning calls, emails, following up on orders, talking to manufacturers, meeting with customers, doing installs, doing marketing, dealing with problems/product issues and so much more. So for us, time is a precious commodity. We love to invest it with folks, but just let us know what your intentions are, even if they are subject to change. High End Audio Dealers

    Once again, the folks I’ve met and worked with on this forum have, for the most part, been exceptionally great and I would consider most of those and others to be friends. I really believe that most of the folks on this forum are the good guys and not the tire kickers/time wasters.

    In closing, I love what I’m doing now. After 22 years, I was burned out in Large Enterprise IT Projects. The industry had gone from Mainframes to Client/Server to the Y2K craze to system integration to BW/BI to the cloud. I was exhausted. B2B is not as much fun as B2C. I’m staying super busy and having fun at it. I still love the hobby and enjoy meeting people and hearing about their successes every day.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Berkeley Audio Design, Block Audio, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Enleum (Bakoon), Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, Franco Serblin Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, HiFi Rose, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Koetsu Cartridges, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  30. #30

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Some dealers had very successful businesses in a previous life. High End Audio Dealers


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Absolutely. I do know at least a few! But not one is running a high end audio business to lose money either. Veni, Vidi, Vici...

    Nothing wrong with making a healthy profit and enjoying the fruits of your labor and passion Mike, it is the beauty of capitalism and no one can or should hold that against you.

    People come into an audio salon with their wallets willingly after all.

  31. #31

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    No one said that an audio dealer can't do well. Where did you get that out of my post? I basically said that the mark up is not as high as some tend to think. And also, this day and age the only place you find high end audio dealers are large cities. Without those numbers of potential clients they really cannot survive. Back in the day there were dealers in many smaller mid-size towns, that is rare now. I have to drive to either LA or SF to find a dealer to actually look at or listen to gear.

    So for many of us, there really is almost no opportunity to actually listen and compare without going on a road trip. Do you really think a dealer would consider an in home audition to a potential customer who lives 5 hours away? Unless they have a very established relationship there is no way that would even be considered.
    High End Audio is a very niche market. Very small segment of the population has the disposable income or the understanding and passion for music and shiny audio gear to spend as much as a luxury automobile or even a starter home in some cases.

    Profit margins are a very tricky concept. One can look at a supermarket and think man, they must have a crazy profit margin keeping a large retail store with all the shelves, refrigerators, lights, employees, stock, constant turnover and deliveries that need to be placed back on shelves... NOPE. Supermarkets are running at 3%... VOLUME business.

    Car dealers are running at a slightly larger profit margin but they have to also keep a large retail building and a lot operating with all the staff and service, mechanics, sales, managers, etc... Also volume... They need to move a ton of cars each month.

    Then there is audio. Audio does not sell in VOLUME unless perhaps you are running a company like SCHIIT AUDIO and selling components starting at $100 and up to a few grand. VOLUME again. SCHIIT AUDIO also sells direct and cut out the dealer all together.

    A typical audio salon has to sell enough of the items to keep the lights on and stay above water at the end of the month. That is not difficult to achieve if you are selling speakers and components costing five digits and are enjoying a 40 to 50% markup.

    I am very familiar with retail businesses as I have friends who have done many and have participated in many a business myself. Except that I focused on payment from health insurance companies and not the pocket of the customer. Very different model and I was told I would not succeed due to competition from large entities like hospital based systems. WRONG, I exceled at it. Smoked them all is a better word... All boils down to the same old concept, if you have a head on your shoulders and know how to use it, you will find a way to attract and retain a client so they come to you willingly and with a smile, because you have provided a great service.

    Audio is a luxury product, it is a fun product, not some necessity item. It should be easy and fun to do business as generally people are looking to purchase a hobby related item, not a medical device or service when they are not feeling well....

    If a dealer can't focus on the fact that every customer that walks through the door is a potential long term client and deserves a bit of your attention, make it by appointment only for clients that have already made purchases. I have friends who run their businesses by appointment only and are also making a living.

    It is not rocket science... Some people just can't do business no matter what... Times are changing, concepts and business models change all the time. Adapt or fail... Online retail is much more popular these days for many reasons. Brick and mortar audio will go on but it is not surprising to see less and less of them around.

    As long as those holding the most discretionary budget in their hands are buying speakers, amps, cables and power conditioners, those would largely be BABY BOOMERS and Gen X's, there is a good chance to succeed with the brick and mortar business model but I don't see that lasting forever. Things are changing fast and away from that model.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    293

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    With supply issues I have yet to find one dealer who have speakers on my list I can go listen to.
    I've been fortunate here in the Boston area. At least with the first few brands on my list.
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    I spent 15+ years selling and managing in audio retail before becoming a programmer data management person. I had many many "clients" who followed me when I moved to another store. Pure and simple, they knew I was honest to them and expected the same in return. I distinctly remember the owner of a store saying to do something to move a product and I told him no because I felt what he was asking was dishonest. He accepted that because of how many clients would deal only with me.

    Therefore when I say I know how it is to deal with customers, both good and bad, I say it from first hand knowledge.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Randy you must be back from the old school audio days. Too bad that era has long past us. Dog eat dog out there now with no loyalty or customer service.


    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I spent 15+ years selling and managing in audio retail before becoming a programmer data management person. I had many many "clients" who followed me when I moved to another store. Pure and simple, they knew I was honest to them and expected the same in return. I distinctly remember the owner of a store saying to do something to move a product and I told him no because I felt what he was asking was dishonest. He accepted that because of how many clients would deal only with me.

    Therefore when I say I know how it is to deal with customers, both good and bad, I say it from first hand knowledge.
    Marty

    Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Randy you must be back from the old school audio days. Too bad that era has long past us. Dog eat dog out there now with no loyalty or customer service.
    I agree, somewhat. Although it may be the exception, there are still some with excellent customer service and loyalty.
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  36. #36

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Now is the time like no other to be good to your elderly clients.


    The obvious health toll notwithstanding, older Americans have largely prospered from government efforts to salve the economic pain Covid has caused. Boomers (born in 1946-64) accumulated more than $1.6 trillion in excess savings in the past two years, almost double what Generation X (born in 1965-80) put away, according to Federal Reserve data. Boomers also saw the biggest overall gain in wealth during the pandemic, with their combined wealth growing by $12.8 trillion, or about 23%. They edged out Generation X by about $100 billion, Fed figures show, but because that younger set has fewer people overall, it realized a larger per-capita wealth gain.



    A Covid-induced boom in early retirements is exacerbating America’s inequalities, especially along this stretch of the Gulf Coast. Sarasota and its environs are seeing an influx of cash-rich baby boomers and work-from-home professionals.


    That good fortune is evident in the St. Armands Circle shopping district in Sarasota, Fla., where visitors stroll past statues of Venus and Dionysus and lunch on Cuban sandwiches and sangria. The number of homes in the area selling for $3 million or more has shot up to 355 so far this year from a pre-pandemic 81 in 2019. And many of the buyers are of retirement age, says Drayton Saunders, president of Michael Saunders & Co., a real estate broker specializing in luxury properties.

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Please do not go down the political road again. Really, this type of thread and you start moving it into politics... really?
    McIntosh C49, MR85, MC7100W, R778 | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM740ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQ Player) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  38. #38
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,662

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    What Randy said. No political discussion please. It just becomes problematic.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

    NAD C 658 streamer.

    First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  39. #39

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Three strikes law? Or we’re way past that point?

  40. #40

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    What politics? It was a post about wealth

  41. #41

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I’ve had the pleasure of meeting some incredible people in this business. The folks on this forum, may only represent 5% of customers I’ve worked with (yes, it’s about 5%), but for the most part, all have been excellent and very professional.

    The challenge for most dealers are not the genuine members here, it’s the time wasters. The guy who asks you for 35 quotes because he changes his mind like the wind and then buys nothing. The calls that start out, “uhhh….what’s your best price on a Hegel 390?” Or those who are not genuine. They call and talk like they are genuine and sincere, waste lots of your time talking about the same nonsense, “oh, so you would say that the Pass is the most natural sounding of the two amps, but what about how it does with strings?” Meanwhile, you’re thinking, “we’ve had this same conversation 900 times.” Then he buys nothing. Ever.

    Don’t call from Canada to a US dealer and expect they will sell you anything or waste time.

    Don’t call a dealer if you’re just looking for the best price. Most today won’t play that game. Work with your local dealer or one you trust and pay them for their expertise and time. Remember, this is a journey, not a sprint and building a long term relationship with a dealer is key.

    Dealers love to work with people as consultants, not clerks. We love calls like “I’m downsizing my system and thinking about going with an integrated. What do you recommend?” We can then engage about their room, speakers, budget, etc. Much better than picking up the phone and the guy says “yeah, what’s your best price on a Hegel 390?”

    Don’t block your number and call a dealer. We won’t answer. We know what you’re doing.

    I could write a novel on the time wasters (NONE HERE). We had one guy who called and said “I have an Emotiva amp and if I bring it to your store and one of your amps beats it, I will buy it.” So, he brought it, we put it up against the 2160 and him and his buddy couldn’t believe how the Boulder crushed the Emotiva. He then reneged on buying it and left with his tail between the legs. I lost an hour and a half.

    If you spend time with a dealer and they recommend a particular product, don’t call them back 3 months later and tell them you bought it from someone else thinking that it’s a win because all dealers are on the same team right? No. We aren’t.

    Be honest, if you’re not buying and just want to listen, THAT’S OK!!! JUST TELL US!! Come on in, let’s have a coffee, listen and talk about music. We love the hobby too! Then if I need to attend to something else, I can hand you the iPad and you can keep rocking.

    Don’t borrow something unless you’re 100% sincere in purchasing it. Too many times, it’s been a bored person who just wants to play. We have banned two people from the store for doing just this over and over and over again. One was a young man in Orlando who kept borrowing stuff, so he could act like Mr. Big Shot on the Audiogon forums and he had no intent on buying anything. The other was a friend of a dear friend of mine (who has passed away), that acted like he knew everything about audio because he was a roadie in the 70’s for some band. He lives here in Sarasota, borrowed so much stuff from us, I lost track and then one day, borrows and MSB DAC from us and then tried to buy it from another dealer in Texas. That dealer called me and right then, he was banned. He lost the ability to borrow anything else in the future.

    As the folks who live here locally will tell you, I will happily loan anything to any of our customers - as long as they sincerely are interested in trying and maybe buying something. I’m willing to accept the opportunity cost (not having that product on the floor while someone else is using it) - if they are sincere. GOOD NEWS: MOST ARE SINCERE! Even if they don’t buy it, as long as they were sincere in their actions, I’m ok with it!

    I won’t give you the hard sell, because these are big ticket items. In return, I want people to just be honest, from “not buying, just looking” to “maybe next year” to “I’m ready to buy now, just need to decide on A vs B.” We can handle the truth! Don’t get a dealers hopes up, waste their time, waste their time doing 97 quotes and then buy nothing.

    It would shock people to realize how busy we are during the day. We aren’t sitting around listening. We are returning calls, emails, following up on orders, talking to manufacturers, meeting with customers, doing installs, doing marketing, dealing with problems/product issues and so much more. So for us, time is a precious commodity. We love to invest it with folks, but just let us know what your intentions are, even if they are subject to change. High End Audio Dealers

    Once again, the folks I’ve met and worked with on this forum have, for the most part, been exceptionally great and I would consider most of those and others to be friends. I really believe that most of the folks on this forum are the good guys and not the tire kickers/time wasters.

    In closing, I love what I’m doing now. After 22 years, I was burned out in Large Enterprise IT Projects. The industry had gone from Mainframes to Client/Server to the Y2K craze to system integration to BW/BI to the cloud. I was exhausted. B2B is not as much fun as B2C. I’m staying super busy and having fun at it. I still love the hobby and enjoy meeting people and hearing about their successes every day.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Great post! It lets us get a peek into your business, Mike. I have no idea. I can’t imagine loaning a gear that I don’t intend to buy. The hassle of the returns, or worse, what if I forget. Yes, my wife says I’m very forgetful.

  42. #42

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Back in the day there were more dealers around my area and it was very common for a few to loan out the various preowned pieces for home auditions. Preowned gear was a big part of their business and the resale value was stronger on Mark Levinson, Krell, Audio Research, etc. There was always something to play with on the weekends and an occasional purchase as well of course.

  43. #43

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Please do not go down the political road again. Really, this type of thread and you start moving it into politics... really?
    Relax, you sound like you are about to have a coronary. There was nothing political about a post of baby boomers acquiring wealth through a strong market. It’s a fact and good for all that gained. More money to spend on hobbies in retirement

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    "Clueless" in California
    Posts
    1,245

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...Be honest, if you’re not buying and just want to listen, THAT’S OK!!! JUST TELL US!! Come on in, let’s have a coffee, listen and talk about music. We love the hobby too! Then if I need to attend to something else, I can hand you the iPad and you can keep rocking...
    Great post! this comment in particular would save a lot of awkwardness and potential resentment/bad vibes. When I first met a new dealer that opened two blocks from my office I made it clear on the first visit I wasn't a going to be his best customer. I let him know I loved the hobby and esp vinyl, we became fast friends from that point onward. I'm always welcome to sit and hear new set-ups and there's never an expectation he owes me his precious time; just do the decent thing and leave your listening session when his appointments do show up. In exchange I purchase as much new vinyl from him as I can and make every effort to do so.

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,772

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Great post, Mike
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

  46. #46

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    Relax, you sound like you are about to have a coronary. There was nothing political about a post of baby boomers acquiring wealth through a strong market. It’s a fact and good for all that gained. More money to spend on hobbies in retirement
    Have you moved back to the mother land?

  47. #47

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    High End Audio is a very niche market.

    Why are you preaching to the choir Serge? You used to be a very cool guy that was prevalent with the times. What's changed???

  48. #48

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I’ve had the pleasure of meeting some incredible people in this business. The folks on this forum, may only represent 5% of customers I’ve worked with (yes, it’s about 5%), but for the most part, all have been excellent and very professional.

    The challenge for most dealers are not the genuine members here, it’s the time wasters. The guy who asks you for 35 quotes because he changes his mind like the wind and then buys nothing. The calls that start out, “uhhh….what’s your best price on a Hegel 390?” Or those who are not genuine. They call and talk like they are genuine and sincere, waste lots of your time talking about the same nonsense, “oh, so you would say that the Pass is the most natural sounding of the two amps, but what about how it does with strings?” Meanwhile, you’re thinking, “we’ve had this same conversation 900 times.” Then he buys nothing. Ever.

    Don’t call from Canada to a US dealer and expect they will sell you anything or waste time.

    Don’t call a dealer if you’re just looking for the best price. Most today won’t play that game. Work with your local dealer or one you trust and pay them for their expertise and time. Remember, this is a journey, not a sprint and building a long term relationship with a dealer is key.

    Dealers love to work with people as consultants, not clerks. We love calls like “I’m downsizing my system and thinking about going with an integrated. What do you recommend?” We can then engage about their room, speakers, budget, etc. Much better than picking up the phone and the guy says “yeah, what’s your best price on a Hegel 390?”

    Don’t block your number and call a dealer. We won’t answer. We know what you’re doing.

    I could write a novel on the time wasters (NONE HERE). We had one guy who called and said “I have an Emotiva amp and if I bring it to your store and one of your amps beats it, I will buy it.” So, he brought it, we put it up against the 2160 and him and his buddy couldn’t believe how the Boulder crushed the Emotiva. He then reneged on buying it and left with his tail between the legs. I lost an hour and a half.

    If you spend time with a dealer and they recommend a particular product, don’t call them back 3 months later and tell them you bought it from someone else thinking that it’s a win because all dealers are on the same team right? No. We aren’t.

    Be honest, if you’re not buying and just want to listen, THAT’S OK!!! JUST TELL US!! Come on in, let’s have a coffee, listen and talk about music. We love the hobby too! Then if I need to attend to something else, I can hand you the iPad and you can keep rocking.

    Don’t borrow something unless you’re 100% sincere in purchasing it. Too many times, it’s been a bored person who just wants to play. We have banned two people from the store for doing just this over and over and over again. One was a young man in Orlando who kept borrowing stuff, so he could act like Mr. Big Shot on the Audiogon forums and he had no intent on buying anything. The other was a friend of a dear friend of mine (who has passed away), that acted like he knew everything about audio because he was a roadie in the 70’s for some band. He lives here in Sarasota, borrowed so much stuff from us, I lost track and then one day, borrows and MSB DAC from us and then tried to buy it from another dealer in Texas. That dealer called me and right then, he was banned. He lost the ability to borrow anything else in the future.

    As the folks who live here locally will tell you, I will happily loan anything to any of our customers - as long as they sincerely are interested in trying and maybe buying something. I’m willing to accept the opportunity cost (not having that product on the floor while someone else is using it) - if they are sincere. GOOD NEWS: MOST ARE SINCERE! Even if they don’t buy it, as long as they were sincere in their actions, I’m ok with it!

    I won’t give you the hard sell, because these are big ticket items. In return, I want people to just be honest, from “not buying, just looking” to “maybe next year” to “I’m ready to buy now, just need to decide on A vs B.” We can handle the truth! Don’t get a dealers hopes up, waste their time, waste their time doing 97 quotes and then buy nothing.

    It would shock people to realize how busy we are during the day. We aren’t sitting around listening. We are returning calls, emails, following up on orders, talking to manufacturers, meeting with customers, doing installs, doing marketing, dealing with problems/product issues and so much more. So for us, time is a precious commodity. We love to invest it with folks, but just let us know what your intentions are, even if they are subject to change. High End Audio Dealers

    Once again, the folks I’ve met and worked with on this forum have, for the most part, been exceptionally great and I would consider most of those and others to be friends. I really believe that most of the folks on this forum are the good guys and not the tire kickers/time wasters.

    In closing, I love what I’m doing now. After 22 years, I was burned out in Large Enterprise IT Projects. The industry had gone from Mainframes to Client/Server to the Y2K craze to system integration to BW/BI to the cloud. I was exhausted. B2B is not as much fun as B2C. I’m staying super busy and having fun at it. I still love the hobby and enjoy meeting people and hearing about their successes every day.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Thank-you Mike. Not often someone delivers a rant in such a thoughtful insight with intelligence...

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,534

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Well said Mike. Your write up provides great insights on the life of audio retailing. Wish you many years of continued success.
    _______________

    Mike

    Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

  50. #50

    Re: High End Audio Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Have you moved back to the mother land?
    Nope, the motherland never left me. I grew up around people that had integrity, solidarity as well as a healthy amount of respect for each other. Complainers and whinners were not tolerated from early childhood. Not sure what satisfaction one derives from complaining about posts that have nothing to do with themselves at all just to get satisfaction of whining to whomever is moderating and with virtually zero posts of value to contribute themselves. But I get it, it is the norm for many these days, people don't have the wits or the courage to offer a valid counterpoint, because complaining accomplishes everything they can ever possibly aspire to from the comfort of their keyboard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

High End Audio Dealers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •