Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 59
  1. #1

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,977

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Congrats James! Interesting product at a good price.
    _______________

    Mike

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Albans UK
    Posts
    14

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    I am considering buying a Bryston BDP-1USB or a BDP-2
    However before I part with my money, I am seeking any advice, on the relative merits between a homemade dedicated FLAC player and the Bryston Digital Player.
    I don't want to purchase a BDP-1USB or BDP-2 and discover there is no discernible difference between the audio output from the Bryston and my dedicated FLAC player.
    I currently own a number of hand built "Audiophile PCs" housed in Streacom FC5WS Evo Fan less Cases.
    I initially selected this case because the motherboard I was going to use required the CPU to be forced cooled.The motherboard turned out to be unsuitable so I decided on a dedicated motherboard for Audiophile use.
    I purchased a Intel DN2800MT with Intel Atom CPU, but I then decided to build the PC using a Supermicro X10SBA with a Intel Celeron J1900 (10W, 4C) CPU. and 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L.
    The PC uses aSOtM tX-USB PCIe USB Card and is powered by my hand made 12 volt Linear PSU.
    After numerous trials with various Operating Systems including Ubuntu,Jaguar,DSL Damm small Linux, Microsoft Server 2012 R2 (with Audiophile Optimizer), I finally decided to use Windows 8.1.
    The Server 2012 R2 with Audiophile Optimizer option was dropped partly because of its high price, and fact that none of the people I invited to listen to my system could detect any improvements between Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 when both are optimized.
    The Operating System is installed on a dedicated Intel mSATA drive and the FLAC files are on a separate Plextor mSATA drives.
    The OS being on a separate drive allowed me to independently compare the relative merits of each system.
    The BDP-1USB or BDP-2, will be used with a Bryston BP25, Bryston BDA-2, Bryston BHA-1, Meridian M100 speakers (upgraded by M.R.S), Sennheiser HD800 and HD650

  4. #4

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Hi Bryston Fan

    it would certainly be a good test and given your ability to assemble a dedicated operating system and computer parts, power supply etc. I think it would be a close call. Most people do not have the skill set to assemble a quality dedicated operating system and sound card etc. which is what the BDP-2 is aimed at.

    This review much preferred the BDP-2 to the MacPro (which is a popular choice for many running software like AudioRvana etc.)

    Bryston BDA-2 and BDP-2 | AudioStream

    james

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Albans UK
    Posts
    14

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
    Hi Bryston Fan

    it would certainly be a good test and given your ability to assemble a dedicated operating system and computer parts, power supply etc. I think it would be a close call. Most people do not have the skill set to assemble a quality dedicated operating system and sound card etc. which is what the BDP-2 is aimed at.

    This review much preferred the BDP-2 to the MacPro (which is a popular choice for many running software like AudioRvana etc.)


    james
    Many thanks for the reply James, but unfortunately for me, it is not what I wanted to hear.
    I deeply regret not purchasing the BDP-2 when I purchased my BDA-2, instead of building my own FLAC player.I daresay have spent more on computer parts in my quest to build an Audiophile player than the cost of a BDP-2.
    To-date I have tried 4 motherboards, and even more switching power supplies before I eventually decided to build my own Linear PS.
    Had I purchased the BDP-2 in the first place, much of my time could have been spent listening to music, rather than wasting time and money and becoming frustrated doing A versus B comparisons with various PC builds and operating systems.

    Regards

  6. #6

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryston FAN View Post
    Many thanks for the reply James, but unfortunately for me, it is not what I wanted to hear.
    I deeply regret not purchasing the BDP-2 when I purchased my BDA-2, instead of building my own FLAC player.I daresay have spent more on computer parts in my quest to build an Audiophile player than the cost of a BDP-2.
    To-date I have tried 4 motherboards, and even more switching power supplies before I eventually decided to build my own Linear PS.
    Had I purchased the BDP-2 in the first place, much of my time could have been spent listening to music, rather than wasting time and money and becoming frustrated doing A versus B comparisons with various PC builds and operating systems.

    Regards

    Its a great point and one I try to inform people of when the question gets asked about why should I purchase the BDP2 rather than build my own. In most cases you end up spending more than the BDP-2 and expertise in power supply design and even positioning of sensitive circuit boards within the chassis to reduce any interaction etc. is not something you can accomplish without sophisticated test gear.

    The other problem that generally comes up is people do not realize what is going on behind the scene with typical operating systems like Windows and MAC that affects the 'bit perfect' functionality of the digital files.

    james

  7. #7
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    26,417

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
    Its a great point and one I try to inform people of when the question gets asked about why should I purchase the BDP2 rather than build my own. In most cases you end up spending more than the BDP-2 and expertise in power supply design and even positioning of sensitive circuit boards within the chassis to reduce any interaction etc. is not something you can accomplish without sophisticated test gear.

    The other problem that generally comes up is people do not realize what is going on behind the scene with typical operating systems like Windows and MAC that affects the 'bit perfect' functionality of the digital files.

    james
    Well said James and so true.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, Esoteric, Estelon Loudspeakers, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, Vivid Audio Loudspeakers, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Another point to keep in mind is the BDP-2, and BDP-1, look like a piece of audio gear that belongs in your rack with the other gear, versus having a computer in your rack.
    Bud

    Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

  9. #9

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Another point to keep in mind is the BDP-2, and BDP-1, look like a piece of audio gear that belongs in your rack with the other gear, versus having a computer in your rack.
    Yes and also the BDP's do not have any internal moving parts so no fans or noisy switching power supplies to deal with if the computer is in the same room as your audio system

    james

  10. #10

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    I think Bryston are going to sell a lot of these babies, I could not imagine life without a BDP!!!!!


    Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

    www.audiobymarkjones.ca

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Albans UK
    Posts
    14

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player


    Hi BlueFox

    I agree with your comments, but in my defense the Streacom case does not have the looks of a conventional PC. and blends in with my existing Bryston equipment, that was the main reason for selecting it.
    Apart from the Linear Power Supply, the handmade Digital Player does not look too much out of place

    Its a pity I am unable to post a JPG.

    Regards
    But I'd still prefer_

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Palm Coast, FL 'The Hammock'
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryston FAN View Post

    Hi BlueFox

    I agree with your comments, but in my defense the Streacom case does not have the looks of a conventional PC. and blends in with my existing Bryston equipment, that was the main reason for selecting it.
    Apart from the Linear Power Supply, the handmade Digital Player does not look too much out of place

    Its a pity I am unable to post a JPG.

    Regards
    But I'd still prefer_
    just wondering are you using the FC10 case if so nice case
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris

    (2 Chl): Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32 mk11, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,, OPPO 105, Timbernation Rack, Metrum Onyx, Bifrost 2, Orchid DAC, Bryston BHA-1, HD650, HD600, HD800's, LCD-3,FOCAL Clear, JH Pro16 V1 IEM.

  13. #13

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    James,

    Looks like a great unit.

    I'm wondering about the software it mentions a limit at 30,000 songs. Can you explain does it use its own software for sorting files ?

    Thx for any help on this.
    Avantgarde,Air Tight,AMG,Studer,DeHaviland,Shindo,Kubala Sosna

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Albans UK
    Posts
    14

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    just wondering are you using the FC10 case if so nice case
    Hi BlueFox

    I have the Streacom ST-FC5S series of case. They are not as deep (100mm) as the photo you posted.

    The cases I used to build my Digital Players are physically the same width and depth (60mm) as my current Bryston equipment.

    I have cases in both silver and black. They are not as good as the Bryston product but at first glance they are an acceptable match.

    Best regards

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Albans UK
    Posts
    14

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Hi CPP
    Thanks for posting the JPG of the Streacom case


    I have the Streacom ST-FC5S series of case. They are not as deep (100mm) as the photo you posted.

    The cases I used to build my Digital Players are physically the same width and depth (60mm) as my current Bryston equipment.

    I have cases in both silver and black. They are not as good as the Bryston product but at first glance they are an acceptable match.

    Best regards

  16. #16

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
    James,

    Looks like a great unit.

    I'm wondering about the software it mentions a limit at 30,000 songs. Can you explain does it use its own software for sorting files ?

    Thx for any help on this.
    The 30,000 is a low estimate as I have over 50,000 on my setup. It is just that the more files you have the longer the sort time and at some point you need the BDP-2 if you start getting into 50,000 and more files loaded.

    james

  17. #17

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Yes the BDP-1 or USB can handle tons of files but not as well as a BDP-2. If the plan is to have multiple TB's of music, just spend the extra and get 2. If not, save your money and get the new affordable unit.


    Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

    www.audiobymarkjones.ca

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    I am still working on filling up a 500GB drive with FLAC and ALAC files on my BDP-1. I already have more music than I can listen to.
    Bud

    Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

  19. #19

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    To: James Tanner
    Bryston Limited
    From: Ray Smith

    I received my BDP-1 on 09-30-2014 and it has proven to be one of the best audio investments I have ever made, not only with regard to sound quality, but also with regard to the significantly improved control of my two channel system.
    Untitled.jpg
    My two channel system consists of the following:
    Teres Audio Model 255 turntable
    Graham Phantom II tonearm
    Ortofon MC Windfeld phono cartridge
    Cary Audio CD 306 Professional Version SACD/CD/HDCD player
    PS Audio PowerBase isolation platforms for turntable and SACD player
    Black Diamond Racing isolation Pits and Mk IV Cones
    Pass Labs XP-30 line level preamplifier
    Pass Labs XP-25 phono preamplifier
    Pass Labs X600.5 monoblock power amplifiers
    AudioQuest Sky XLR interconnects
    AudioQuest Everest speaker cables
    AudioQuest LeoPard tonearm cable
    PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 power cords
    PS Audio PerfectWave P-10 AC Regenerator
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL loudspeakers (heavily modified)
    Salamander Synergy Triple 30 audio credenza

    I listen mostly to instrumental jazz. Listening evaluations are done with well recorded material and consists of describing the quality, size, and three dimensional placement of all sound images in the sound stage. Spatial maps are used to record positions of sound images and their relative size. The BDP-1 is connected to the DAC section of the Cary CD 306 Pro Version SACD player

    There were significant differences in image weight, bass detail, bass weight and small improvements in overall clarity and detail as I went from the BPD-1. Playing ripped CD music files through the BDP-1/CD 306 PV combination resulted in music with deeper base, greater sound stage depth, and increased clarity and detail compared to playing the same music file from the original CD through the CD 306 PV. Apparently, bypassing the CD 306 PV's transport removes a significant amount of mechanical and electrical noise.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
    To: James Tanner
    Bryston Limited
    From: Ray Smith

    I received my BDP-1 on 09-30-2014 and it has proven to be one of the best audio investments I have ever made, not only with regard to sound quality, but also with regard to the significantly improved control of my two channel system.

    My two channel system consists of the following:
    Teres Audio Model 255 turntable
    Graham Phantom II tonearm
    Ortofon MC Windfeld phono cartridge
    Cary Audio CD 306 Professional Version SACD/CD/HDCD player
    PS Audio PowerBase isolation platforms for turntable and SACD player
    Black Diamond Racing isolation Pits and Mk IV Cones
    Pass Labs XP-30 line level preamplifier
    Pass Labs XP-25 phono preamplifier
    Pass Labs X600.5 monoblock power amplifiers
    AudioQuest Sky XLR interconnects
    AudioQuest Everest speaker cables
    AudioQuest LeoPard tonearm cable
    PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 power cords
    PS Audio PerfectWave P-10 AC Regenerator
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL loudspeakers (heavily modified)
    Salamander Synergy Triple 30 audio credenza

    I listen mostly to instrumental jazz. Listening evaluations are done with well recorded material and consists of describing the quality, size, and three dimensional placement of all sound images in the sound stage. Spatial maps are used to record positions of sound images and their relative size. The BDP-1 is connected to the DAC section of the Cary CD 306 Pro Version SACD player

    There were significant differences in image weight, bass detail, bass weight and small improvements in overall clarity and detail as I went from the BPD-1. Playing ripped CD music files through the BDP-1/CD 306 PV combination resulted in music with deeper base, greater sound stage depth, and increased clarity and detail compared to playing the same music file from the original CD through the CD 306 PV. Apparently, bypassing the CD 306 PV's transport removes a significant amount of mechanical and electrical noise.
    This is is Ray's review on the Polk Audio forum.

    Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player - First Impressions - Polk Audio
    Bud

    Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

  21. #21

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Thanks,

    james

  22. #22

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Hi James,

    I posted a follow up review of my BDP-1 on the Polk Audio forum here:

    Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player - Review - Polk Audio

    Ray

  23. #23

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Hi, all.

    I am new here and a long time Bryston owner, dating back to the days in Rexdale, Ontario.

    I am considering the purchase of a BDP2 but the Polk Audio review posted earlier, which highlight's power cord impact on the BDP1, has now caused me pause.

    Is the BDP2 impacted similarly by a power cord change? If so, which power cord does Bryston recommend to use in order to extract the best measured performance from the BDP2? I guess I also wonder why such a power cord wouldn't be included with the unit so as to ensure the customer is getting the best performance from the start?

    Thanks, Bill

  24. #24
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    17,688

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Welcome to the forum Bill!
    Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Luxman 590AX Mark II, Job INTegrated.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (x 2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  25. #25

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill U View Post
    Hi, all.

    I am new here and a long time Bryston owner, dating back to the days in Rexdale, Ontario.

    I am considering the purchase of a BDP2 but the Polk Audio review posted earlier, which highlight's power cord impact on the BDP1, has now caused me pause.

    Is the BDP2 impacted similarly by a power cord change? If so, which power cord does Bryston recommend to use in order to extract the best measured performance from the BDP2? I guess I also wonder why such a power cord wouldn't be included with the unit so as to ensure the customer is getting the best performance from the start?

    Thanks, Bill
    Hi Bill,

    Without creating any controversy (wish-full thinking I know) the power cords which come with our equipment are more than capable of suppling you with maximum performance.

    james

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill U View Post
    Hi, all.

    I am new here and a long time Bryston owner, dating back to the days in Rexdale, Ontario.

    I am considering the purchase of a BDP2 but the Polk Audio review posted earlier, which highlight's power cord impact on the BDP1, has now caused me pause.

    Is the BDP2 impacted similarly by a power cord change? If so, which power cord does Bryston recommend to use in order to extract the best measured performance from the BDP2? I guess I also wonder why such a power cord wouldn't be included with the unit so as to ensure the customer is getting the best performance from the start?

    Thanks, Bill
    Bill, power cords affect all audio equipment. While the stock cord that comes with all gear works, the odds are an after market power cord will improve upon the stock cord. Of course, this improvement is dependent on the entire system. General rule of thumb is the better the gear then the better the improvement.

    I upgraded my BDP-1 from the stock cord to a Shunyata Zitron Cobra without even using the stock cord. If I get a new piece of gear I automatically order a Shunyata power cord for it. Anyway, it sounded great with the Cobra, but when I upgraded to the Shunyata Alpha Digital it went to another level. That s because the Alpha filters out any noise the BDP-1 power supplies create and transmit back onto the power line. This can affect the other gear in the system. I recentlty upgraded the Alpha Digital to the new Sigma Digital, and that reduced system background noise to an even lower level.

    I love my BDP-1, and consider it one of the best pieces of audio gear I have ever had. I would expect the BDP-2 to perform the same in regard to power cords.
    Bud

    Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

  27. #27

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum Bill!
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Joe.

  28. #28

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
    Hi Bill,

    Without creating any controversy (wish-full thinking I know) the power cords which come with our equipment are more than capable of suppling you with maximum performance.

    james
    This is what I expected, James. Thanks

  29. #29

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Bill, power cords affect all audio equipment. While the stock cord that comes with all gear works, the odds are an after market power cord will improve upon the stock cord. Of course, this improvement is dependent on the entire system. General rule of thumb is the better the gear then the better the improvement.

    I upgraded my BDP-1 from the stock cord to a Shunyata Zitron Cobra without even using the stock cord. If I get a new piece of gear I automatically order a Shunyata power cord for it. Anyway, it sounded great with the Cobra, but when I upgraded to the Shunyata Alpha Digital it went to another level. That s because the Alpha filters out any noise the BDP-1 power supplies create and transmit back onto the power line. This can affect the other gear in the system. I recentlty upgraded the Alpha Digital to the new Sigma Digital, and that reduced system background noise to an even lower level.

    I love my BDP-1, and consider it one of the best pieces of audio gear I have ever had. I would expect the BDP-2 to perform the same in regard to power cords.
    Hi, Bud. While this makes some sense to me the part about "General rule of thumb is the better the gear then the better the improvement" seems counter intuitive to me.

    I guess I presume that the better the gear .... the less likely it should be to a) inject noise back into the power lines and b) be impacted by any noise that is present in the power line.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill U View Post
    I guess I presume that the better the gear .... the less likely it should be to a) inject noise back into the power lines and b) be impacted by any noise that is present in the power line.
    From a hypothetical perspective, one could think that, but, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way in real life. While the Shunyata cord incorporates the reflected noise filtering, there are other areas that are also positively affected by after market power cords. That is one reason why there are many power cord vendors with different designs available for customers to choose.

    As a customer, you need to decide how much you are going to tweak your gear to get the optimum performance from it. While many are happy with the stock performance, others want more. That is what makes this hobby fun. Trying to extract every musical detail and nuance possible from your gear.

    The better the gear, the more detail and nuance that can be extracted with cleaner power, better cables (power, interconnects, speaker), and vibration suppression.
    Bud

    Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

  31. #31

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    AAV.JPG

    MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
    SUBJECT: Dealer Feedback – New BDP-1USB Player


    HI guys,

    I just thought you should know that I have my new Bryston BDP-1 USB on the floor and sounding great!

    It's important to note that we have never had a digital front end sound so amazing for so little cash. A customer could easily go out and buy a decent $500 USB DAC and partner it with the BDP-1USB for s street value of about $2000. I currently have it connected to a $900 USB power DAC and it's just awesome!

    I have a lot of customer using dedicated PC/Macs for this purpose and I can now easily sway them.

    Thanks again and keep up the solid work!

    James

  32. #32

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    From a hypothetical perspective, one could think that, but, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way in real life. While the Shunyata cord incorporates the reflected noise filtering, there are other areas that are also positively affected by after market power cords. That is one reason why there are many power cord vendors with different designs available for customers to choose.

    As a customer, you need to decide how much you are going to tweak your gear to get the optimum performance from it. While many are happy with the stock performance, others want more. That is what makes this hobby fun. Trying to extract every musical detail and nuance possible from your gear.

    The better the gear, the more detail and nuance that can be extracted with cleaner power, better cables (power, interconnects, speaker), and vibration suppression.
    I can't say that I have tried that many different cords and cables to personally comment on in terms of impact on sound but, I will say .... if I spent considerable money on gear and found it seriously impacted - by such things as cords and cables - I'd suspect it to be poorly designed which would no doubt make me beyond livid at my purchase.

    In my previous life I worked as an EMS and had access to some of the most sensitive electronic (analog and digital) gear in the world. To the best of my knowledge, we never had tech's upgrading our equipment with different cabling so that the machines worked better. And this was with gear that, if it weren't performing at its peak, would mean loss of life. Call me skeptical that the electronic engineers that are found in the audio world have any different performance issues to overcome with the gear they design and build.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    You have a lot to learn. Have fun. I am now out of this conversation.
    Bud

    Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

  34. #34

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Hello,
    my first post here though ive been reading for a while.
    just wanted to share my experience with the Bdp1usb i received a few days ago. with my bda 2, this combo sounds great.
    there's no comparison to my mba 8gb i used exclusively as music server; bdp1usb just sounds superior in all aspects.
    A big thank-you to James for coming through with sending the unit to s. Korea.
    Thank you Bryston for great products and great service. Keep up the good work, guys.

  35. #35
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    17,688

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Welcome to the forum zachhahn, thank you for joining.
    Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Luxman 590AX Mark II, Job INTegrated.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (x 2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  36. #36

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
    SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-1 “USB”


    March, 2015

    Hi Folks,

    Excellent review on the Bryston BDP-1 USB Digital Player in Son and Image Magazine.

    Capture.JPG

    Conclusion:

    “The BDP-1 USB is “detailed and precise” without becoming analytical, the BDP-1 USB concentrates on the unique task of rendering music in all of its splendor. If you use a computer to convert to analog now you should change to a Bryston USB player because it is certainly better.

    Developed and perfected in one step the Bryston BDP-1 USB elevates listening to music via USB to a level that outclasses the actual USB source from my 2014 Macbook Pro using Audirvana.

    The Bryston BDP-1 USB is simply the best USB source I have ever heard. The price is very accessible as well and is just the cherry on top.”

    Jasn-Erik Nordoen
    Son & Image Magazine

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    307

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Congrats, James. Looks like you have a winner here.
    I will be pulling the trigger on this when it becomes available in Singapore.
    Until then, I would like to ask whether SQ is better from a USB flash drive via the A-port or via the B-port from a computer.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jon.

  38. #38

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    HI Jon

    It should be available now in Singapore.

    james

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    307

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    "....I would like to ask whether SQ is better from a USB flash drive via the A-port or via the B-port from a computer.
    Thanks in advance."

  40. #40

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Hi

    Not sure I understand as the USB flashdrive only has one flat style connector as far as I know.

    james

  41. #41

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Hi

    Not sure I understand as the USB flashdrive only has one flat style connector as far as I know.

    james

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    307

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    That's the connector for usb A-port.

  43. #43

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    I believe the A is the Host and the B is a Client so not sure how you would use the B with a thumb-drive?

    james

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    307

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    The thumbdrive can only be connected to the A-port which the player has.

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    307

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    James,
    After reading the manual from your website, this component allows connection with :-
    1. thumbdrive, HDD or SSD via the usb-A port
    2. computer via the usb-B port
    3. a router via the ethernet port for NAS access.
    To rephrase my question, of these 3 options, which would give the best SQ?
    Rgds. J.

  46. #46

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    307

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Thanks for the link.

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    PARIS FRANCE
    Posts
    103

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Hi,
    I just bought the bda 2 one week ago and i am delighted. I am considering buying the bdp 1 usb and was wondering if it is possible to stick via usb adaptator an SD card instead of a NAS or hard drive ?
    also where can i see the software interface when controled via android tablet ?
    Thanks
    David

  49. #49

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    Sorry I missed this but it should work - have not tried it myself.

    james

  50. #50

    Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player

    James

    Our review of the BDP-1USB is now up

    http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2...w_BDP1_USB.pdf

    My MacBookPro & Audirvana has just been trounced !

    Jan-Erik Nordoen
    Magazine Son & Image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

BDP-1USB Digital Player

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •