PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Rowland S2 Continuum in the house!

Mike
April 21, 2014, 05:19 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeinid
April 21, 2014, 05:35 PM
Sweet! Now for the loooooooooong break in. :(

kiwi_1282001
April 21, 2014, 05:38 PM
Wow.

Doesn't it look sharp! Love that last photo.

Very much looking forward to reading your observations. I don't buy the 1000 hour run-in thesis. Please let us know how it sounds 24 hours after ignition (thermal stabilization) - or before if you like.... :D

MDP
April 21, 2014, 05:48 PM
Sweet! Now for the loooooooooong break in. :(

Ohhhhh.........yeahhhhhhhh........................ ......

dlb2
April 21, 2014, 05:52 PM
That's sweet Mike. I love the looks of it.

If you unplug that phone your system with be even quieter. :snicker:

Mike
April 21, 2014, 06:04 PM
That's sweet Mike. I love the looks of it.

If you unplug that phone your system with be even quieter. :snicker:

You always crack me up! I knew someone would say that. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mdkim
April 21, 2014, 06:13 PM
Nice!! Do tell us about it as it breaks in.

Mike
April 21, 2014, 06:14 PM
The first hour was a little rough. I'm on hour 3 now. First impressions: I turned the volume full (with no music obviously) and I could hear NOTHING, I mean, nothing coming from the tweeter. Dead quiet backgrounds.

It runs cold and sounds very clean. If I didn't know it was Class D, I wouldn't have guessed. The synergy with the Raidho's is obviously terrific. I love how it has good bass control, but no hyped up bass/midbass.

As expected, it sounds a titch compressed and thin. Jock has assured me this improves with time. I still need to test the phonostage (100ohm loading and 60db of gain).

It certainly has enough power. The volume dial goes to 99.5, and 73-78 is the absolute max I would ever listen in my room. Average being 55.

I find it odd there is no power button.....but ok, it stays on all the time.

As for the remote....uh....hmmm....it's definitely....hum....I would happily pay a couple hundred or so for a smoking nice remote. ;)

PRAT and clarity are excellent. I think it has a lot of potential. Give it some hours and see. I'm hoping it works out for me.

cmalak
April 21, 2014, 06:15 PM
Mike...you were asking for it with that phone there :D congrats on the S2!

Mike
April 21, 2014, 06:34 PM
Mike...you were asking for it with that phone there :D congrats on the S2!

Haha! Thanks.

audio.bill
April 21, 2014, 06:56 PM
The first hour was a little rough. I'm on hour 3 now. First impressions: I turned the volume full (with no music obviously) and I could hear NOTHING, I mean, nothing coming from the tweeter. Dead quiet backgrounds.

It runs cold and sounds very clean. If I didn't know it was Class D, I wouldn't have guessed. The synergy with the Raidho's is obviously terrific. I love how it has good bass control, but no hyped up bass/midbass.

As expected, it sounds a titch compressed and thin. Jock has assured me this improves with time. I still need to test the phonostage (100ohm loading and 60db of gain).

It certainly has enough power. The volume dial goes to 99.5, and 73-78 is the absolute max I would ever listen in my room. Average being 55.

I find it odd there is no power button.....but ok, it stays on all the time.

As for the remote....uh....hmmm....it's definitely....hum....I would happily pay a couple hundred or so for a smoking nice remote. ;)

PRAT and clarity are excellent. I think it has a lot of potential. Give it some hours and see. I'm hoping it works out for me.
Mike - congratulations on your latest acquisition! I'm confident that you'll find it to have a significant gain in dynamics and fullness as it runs in. I use a Rowland 625 power amp and it definitely evolved and improved with time. I also run the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze (on a Nottingham Analogue Dais with Origin Live Enterprise) but into the Audia Flight phono stage, and it sounds superb loaded at 100 ohms so I would expect that setting to work well for you. As far as there being no power switch, since it uses a Class D output stage it is best to leave it on all the time anyway to keep the low level circuitry powered continuously for the best sound and no warm-up time. My 625 is Class A/B and is heavily biased into A which makes it run hot, so Rowland accordingly provides a power switch. You can trust that Jeff Rowland did not leave off the power switch to save a few bucks, but rather that it should be continuously powered on for the best performance. Enjoy the tunes, and I look forward to reading your continued impressions in due time.

Mike
April 21, 2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks Bill. That's what I figured. Testing the phonostage now. It sounds quite good. Would like a little more gain (volume is at 87% and it's not loud). Will give it some time and then determine if it has enough gonads to drive the D3's. I can see it being a perfect match for D1, maybe D2, but these D3's like the juice. The jury is still out.

I would say right now the phonostage is a pleasant surprise.

Ritmo
April 21, 2014, 08:49 PM
Very nice S2 Mike - congrats. I heard this amp with the D1s at RMAF - sounded terrific!

mdkim
April 21, 2014, 08:53 PM
Very nice S2 Mike - congrats. I heard this amp with the D1s at RMAF - sounded terrific!

That has the makings of a really nice compact system. Hmmm.

Mike
April 21, 2014, 09:07 PM
I really have to give it a lot more time....but it is sounding better after 6 hours....

socfan12
April 21, 2014, 09:10 PM
Only 994 more to go!:D

Congrats on the Rowland, Mike! I love his gear!:woot:

Anatta
April 21, 2014, 11:27 PM
Mike, can you get a hold of the Primare I32 as well? It would be very interesting how it compares to the Continuum S2, letting aside price and power differences.

Primare I32 Integrated Amp | The Absolute Sound (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/primare-i32-integrated-amp/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LL7l1TDCw8

Mike
April 22, 2014, 09:54 AM
Mike, can you get a hold of the Primare I32 as well? It would be very interesting how it compares to the Continuum S2, letting aside price and power differences.

Primare I32 Integrated Amp | The Absolute Sound (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/primare-i32-integrated-amp/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LL7l1TDCw8

I would love to try the Primare I32. Not sure I can get one to demo though.

I think the Rowland S2 is a superb option for the X1/C1.1/D1....just not sure it has the ooomph for the D3's. TBD.

kiwi_1282001
April 22, 2014, 04:07 PM
[...] I think the Rowland S2 is a superb option for the X1/C1.1/D1....just not sure it has the ooomph for the D3's. TBD.

Hi Mike,

You've mentioned that the Jeff Rowland S2 may not have enough ooomph for the Raidho D3's a couple of times now. Is this because the phono stage does not have enough gain (but other inputs are fine) or due to something else you have observed?

Cheers
Ralph

Mike
April 22, 2014, 04:20 PM
Ralph - I really like this S2. The sound has improved quite a bit over the past 24 hours. I really like its form factor, size, looks, features, everything about it. At $9995 - it's a screaming good value IMO. That being said, the D3's need major juice. After 24 hours, I have found the volume is at 91 (out of 99.5) on vinyl and 81 (out of 99.5) on digital sources on average. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the proverbial "headroom". Now, the SMPS shouldn't show any compression....but you know what I mean. When pushed hard, you can tell this wonderful little integrated amp gets out of its comfort zone. I did turn it to full (99.5) and the sound was shrill (no popping on the D3's though!!) I don't notice any sonic degradation at 81 or 90.5. I can see on X1's, C1.1's or D1's, this being a "hand in a glove" situation. Wonderful synergy. It just may need a little more oomph for the D3's in a big room (mine is 45' x 15' with 13 foot ceilings). Maybe a 825 or 925 would be the ticket! :)

Ralph - take a look at the specs on the Hegel H30. That has really got my attention. The Hegel has a higher output current than the Soulution and just as good a damping factor - plus more wattage. When I heard the Hegel at the shows, I was very impressed. Could be an interesting combo to hear.

kiwi_1282001
April 22, 2014, 05:51 PM
Hi Mike,

Well that is a disappointment. The S2 is rated at 400 watts per channel (rms), which ought to be sufficient for all Raidho loudspeaker models.

It should not be necessary to have the volume pot almost wide open.

The JR 825 or 925 or the Hegel H30 won't offer more power, if I read their specification sheets correctly.

Out of interest how did your other amplifiers fare with the D3? Did you need more gain from them too, to achieve your desired listening level? I'm assuming here that the output from the Lumin is fine and is sufficient to enable the JR to reach full output power? Does the Lumin have a software settable volume and is that for example turned down? Just for the hell of it you might what to also compare the Lumin XLR and RCA outputs [connected to the JR] and if you are presently using the XLR connections check that both the Lumin and JR are both set for pin 2 hot to ensure you are running in correct polarity.

Mike
April 22, 2014, 05:54 PM
The D'ags and 601's struggled, but not too bad. Then when you hear the Soulution 501 or 711 handle them with ease (and only rated at 125 watts/channel and 150 watts/channel respectively), you have to look at other specs like output current.

Maybe Jock can weigh in here and share his thoughts on his S2/D3 combo.

audio.bill
April 22, 2014, 07:12 PM
Mike - Before I purchased the Rowland 625 I owned a Hegel H20 power amp. Hegel does offer exceptional value products and the H30 is a significant step up from the H20. However in the end I felt that the Rowland 625 provided a more refined sound with better textures, a more relaxed and musically involving performance, as well as far better build quality. I don't know if it matters to you or not, but while Hegel is based and designed in Norway they are assembled in China. If you have a chance to audition the H30 with your new D3 speakers it would be worth a shot, and the same applies for the 625. I never tried the 825 or 925 since they were beyond my realistic budget and I feared what that audition would likely lead to!

Mike
April 22, 2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks Bill. Very interesting. I was looking at the 625 today. The Rowland gear is gorgeous.

socfan12
April 22, 2014, 08:29 PM
Totally agree, Mike!

mdkim
April 22, 2014, 09:17 PM
I wish there was a published efficiency spec for the D3s. I know they required a lot of juice. My Pass Xs/XP30 was always 65-70+ on the pre. The Solution 530 was 75+.

What I would like to know is how is the overall tone, bass energy and bass texture/variance with the Rowland?

audio.bill
April 22, 2014, 09:51 PM
I wish there was a published efficiency spec for the D3s. I know they required a lot of juice. My Pass Xs/XP30 was always 65-70+ on the pre. The Solution 530 was 75+.

What I would like to know is how is the overall tone, bass energy and bass texture/variance with the Rowland?
I haven't had the opportunity to hear the D3s, but it sounds like Mike may be checking out the Rowland 625 with his D3s in due time...

Mike
April 23, 2014, 12:23 AM
I haven't had the opportunity to hear the D3s, but it sounds like Mike may be checking out the Rowland 625 with his D3s in due time...

The new D3's are sounding wonderful. I'm delighted with them. None of the issues associated with gen 1. They are much more "a piece" then gen 1 D3. Now I have the speaker I was expecting when I made the big jump from the D1's.

As for amps? Who knows? I'm going to enjoy the Rowland and let it continue to break in. It sounds great and I'll give that little sucker a good workout for sure!

the professor
April 23, 2014, 12:27 AM
I don't find that the Roland S2 is lacking in power with the D3s. If you have to play the D3 extremely loud - yes it gives out. The D'Agostino monos have more juice. But - you can play the D3s loud enough that the Dag gives out too.

I really don't know if the Solution would fare any better than either the S2 or Dags. I have not tried them at home and I've never turned the D3s up near as loud at the dealer as I have at home.

Again it's very loud - >102db continuous.

The D3s can handle A LOT of power and are not efficient. But, truly guys, my Cary 211 w 70/110 watts does really good with 95+ db continuous.

kiwi_1282001
April 23, 2014, 12:50 AM
I don't find that the Roland S2 is lacking in power with the D3s. If you have to play the D3 extremely loud - yes it gives out. The D'Agostino monos have more juice. But - you can play the D3s loud enough that the Dag gives out too.

I really don't know if the Solution would fare any better than either the S2 or Dags. I have not tried them at home and I've never turned the D3s up near as loud at the dealer as I have at home.

Again it's very loud - >102db continuous.

The D3s can handle A LOT of power and are not efficient. But, truly guys, my Cary 211 w 70/110 watts does really good with 95+ db continuous.

Thats interesting Jock. Perhaps your D3's are more broken in than Mikes and the initial stiffness of the drivers is the difference in your observations?

I really would have expected the S2 to have ample power to drive the D3's.

>102dB continuous is extremely loud. If that measured at your listening position the speakers are actually pushing out over 110dB.

Mike
April 23, 2014, 07:46 AM
Jock - I would be interested to know what your S2 volume reads at your normal to loud listening level. Depending on the recording, mine is 72-80. Maybe I'm just particular about that. I never like to see the volume that high. As you pointed out, 85.5 means zero gain from the preamp.

But then again, the SMPS should ensure (correct me if I'm wrong) that there is little to no compression at these higher volumes.

the professor
April 23, 2014, 10:12 AM
I'm in that same range.

Of course with the D'Agostino preamp we don't have any numbers for the volume, but we do know visually where the zero gain level is. And just eyeballing it, I'm within the same 85-90% of that level for normal listening. And that level is the same whether I'm using the Cary or the Dag monos.

Jock - I would be interested to know what your S2 volume reads at your normal to loud listening level. Depending on the recording, mine is 72-80. Maybe I'm just particular about that. I never like to see the volume that high. As you pointed out, 85.5 means zero gain from the preamp.

But then again, the SMPS should ensure (correct me if I'm wrong) that there is little to no compression at these higher volumes.

the professor
April 23, 2014, 10:14 AM
Yes, that is at my listening position - 9-10' from speakers.

Thats interesting Jock. Perhaps your D3's are more broken in than Mikes and the initial stiffness of the drivers is the difference in your observations?

I really would have expected the S2 to have ample power to drive the D3's.

>102dB continuous is extremely loud. If that measured at your listening position the speakers are actually pushing out over 110dB.

GuidoCorona
April 24, 2014, 12:29 PM
All, besides new D3s likely having stiff drivers hence being somewhat less than responsive, a CS2 with only sevral hours on it generates a fraction of its eventual authority . In the case of my M925 monos, authority developed over several hundred hours. G.

Mike
April 24, 2014, 12:37 PM
Yes Guido - I am seeing the same thing. It's really sounding wonderful. So clean.

Mike
April 24, 2014, 01:56 PM
The S2 might be staying. It has such a good synergy with the D3's and Ansuz. It's been running 24/7 and now has close to 100 hours on it.

joeinid
April 24, 2014, 03:06 PM
The S2 might be staying. It has such a good synergy with the D3's and Ansuz. It's been running 24/7 and now has close to 100 hours on it.

What !?!?!?!?!?!? Says the guy with Hegel in his avatar.

Can this be true. You're not the Mike I know. What happened?

Mike
April 24, 2014, 03:16 PM
What !?!?!?!?!?!? Says the guy with Hegel in his avatar.

Can this be true. You're not the Mike I know. What happened?

Maybe try both? I really like this little integrated. Its growing on me.

Raidho
April 24, 2014, 03:17 PM
The S-2 is a killer.. You have to try the DAC and you have a amp which easily outperform most pre-power compos...

Mike
April 24, 2014, 03:23 PM
The S-2 is a killer.. You have to try the DAC and you have a amp which easily outperform most pre-power compos...

Lars - you have surfaced! :) The demo unit has the phonostage in it. I use a Lumin streamer, so I would never use the DAC. But you are correct, it is the favorite amp in my house for the D3's.

Lars - what's your thoughts on Hegel with Raidho? On paper it looks like it would be quite good.

Raidho
April 24, 2014, 04:27 PM
Personally I like the Hegel products alot... They make honest products .. Next month Michael will show our D-1 and X-1 together with Hegel at the Newport Show... So we are very excited to see how that works out.., In the past we have tryed the Hegel H 300 which sounded great on our speakers

Rufus McDufus
May 1, 2014, 06:39 AM
I'm trying an S2 at the moment! Using it with my Moon MiND 180 streaming transport and Raidho C-1.1. I'm comparing it against my Devialet 170 (now Devialet 200 with the latest update). The drawbacks with my tests are that I don't have any speaker cables with spades and could only borrow some Transparent Musicwave cables. I also have a homemade power cable using Van Damme 2.5mm - better cable to arrive within the next few days hopefully. Digital cable is Transparent Reference XL S/PDIF. System is on an Entreq Tellus, and I also have balanced power supplies.
I don't know how much running this S2 has had but it's unlikely to be 1000 hours.

First impressions. Smoother than the Devialet, darker fuller bass. Resolution is a bit poorer. It's not as dynamic as the Devialet either. It is generally very good though and quite close. I'm not really sure which I prefer. the S2 is more laid-back and easier to listen to for extended sessions. It's definitely a bit 'darker' than the Devialet in literal terms of frequency end and also metaphoric sonic character.

The disadvantage the S2 has is the Musicwave speaker cables and I suspect this may be what's mutiing the dynamics. Transparent make great cables but the few times I've heard their lesser speaker cables I haven't been too impressed, and this is a near-bottom of the range cable. To do this justice I need to get better cables I think!

Rufus McDufus
May 1, 2014, 06:40 AM
I forgot to add - this amp is just gorgeous to look at. I could almost buy one just to look at it!

GuidoCorona
May 1, 2014, 08:38 AM
Hi Rufus, Rowland has used Cardas Clear and Clear Beyond with fabulous results on its components, including Continuum S2.... That is what they used at RMAF 2013.

While I have not had Cardas and CS2 in my system, I have found all my Rowland components to yield consistent magnificent synergy with Nordost Valhalla 2, as well as with Shunyata wires.

Rufus McDufus
May 1, 2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks! I manged to get some banana -> spade converters to use my speaker cables so at least the comparison is easier. I have Audiovector Avantagarde cables which are a hangover from my previous speakers, but are very good and have proved very versatile.

Basically with my speaker cable it's miles better! Detail in spades - in fact I'd say better than the Devialet in that respect. Strangely I've lost that amazing bass the S2 can project which is irritating. but partly that could be due to better resolution and the perception of bass being lost whereas it's easier to make out. The spade -> banana converters probably aren't helping either. Cymbals are much better with the S2 - something a little bit lacking on my Devialet. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say even with fairly poorly matched cables and not being fully run-in, I prefer the S2 to my Devialet. The only snag for me is the price - it's not far off the same in GB pounds as it is in dollars in the US. That and the fact I'd absolutely need new speaker cables (which I do anyway frankly!) is starting to get expensive.
Now comparing it against a Devialet 240 is really a fairer comparison, and in that instance I think the S2 wins on sound quality and price. It's quite close though. Another disadvantage for the Devialet in my experience is it needs a very good power supply and power cords to really work properly, perhaps something the S2 is less fussy about? This may explain why the Devialet isn't always so good at shows and can sound thin and harsh if not set up optimally.
However a very godo reason to keep my Devialet is the number of updates in the pipeline - Speaker Active Matching, power upgrades and others yet to come.

Mike
May 1, 2014, 03:18 PM
Going from sheer memory, I really liked the Devialet 170 I had here. Can't say it is better or worse than the S2...but it was always pleasing.

Thanks to David at Design Audio, I have a Hegel H300 inbound to try (demo).

I'm debating right now whether going crazy on amps and preamp makes more sense or a sweet little integrated with Ansuz D cabling.

Rufus McDufus
May 1, 2014, 03:23 PM
I'm thinking it might be a sideways move for me. I have a sneaky suspicion I'd enjoy the Continuum S2 more, but I'm fairly well optimised for the Devialet and the cost to change perhaps does't warrant it. Aren't we spoiled for choice with good value integrated amps though?

Mike
May 1, 2014, 03:25 PM
I'm thinking it might be a sideways move for me. I have a sneaky suspicion I'd enjoy the Continuum S2 more, but I'm fairly well optimised for the Devialet and the cost to change perhaps does't warrant it. Aren't we spoiled for choice with good value integrated amps though?

We are! Have you tried the Hegel H300?

Rufus McDufus
May 1, 2014, 03:48 PM
I haven't. Looking for a UK-based distributor right now!
thoroughly enjoying the Devialet at the moment though. I snagged a Transparent Reference XL S/PDIF between streamer and Devialet this week. It's a large upgrade.

bigblue
May 19, 2014, 07:05 AM
I am running an Audio Reserach DSI 200 with my Sonus Faber Olympica 3. But the Continuum S2 is one machine I really would like to experience. Has any one had a chance to compare the two - or have any thoughts on how they will differ from each other from a character point of view.

joeinid
May 19, 2014, 08:15 AM
Welcome bigblue!

dlb2
May 19, 2014, 09:11 AM
Any updates Mike?

bigblue
May 19, 2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks joeinid. I'm looking forward hearing the impressions on this and other topics in the future :).

socfan12
May 19, 2014, 08:52 PM
Welcome to AS, bigblue!:hi:

joeinid
May 19, 2014, 08:54 PM
Thank you for joining!

Thanks joeinid. I'm looking forward hearing the impressions on this and other topics in the future :).

bigblue
May 30, 2014, 06:02 PM
Any news on the progress Mike? Really looking forward hearing your thoughts here.

Mike
May 30, 2014, 06:06 PM
Any news on the progress Mike? Really looking forward hearing your thoughts here.

It's breaking in nicely and is the leading contender right now. I still have a few more integrated amps I want to try like the Musical Fidelity, new Levinson 585 and maybe even Vitus.

bigblue
June 1, 2014, 03:21 AM
Thanks Mike. Do you have any info as to when the Levinson will be available in the shops? Unfortunately I missed it when visiting the High End Show in Münich this year.
What Musical Fidelity are you considering a contender on this level? I have auditioned the M6i and the M6 500i in my home. But for me the Auidio Reserach DSI200 beat them and others - and stayed.

Mike
June 1, 2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks Mike. Do you have any info as to when the Levinson will be available in the shops? Unfortunately I missed it when visiting the High End Show in Münich this year.
What Musical Fidelity are you considering a contender on this level? I have auditioned the M6i and the M6 500i in my home. But for me the Auidio Reserach DSI200 beat them and others - and stayed.

The Levinson should be out next month (July). The Musical Fidelity I wanted to try is the M6500I. What speakers are you using?

On another note, I must get Brent over here with his VAC i160 SE. He says it's a killer and I really like the Raidho/VAC synergy.

bigblue
June 1, 2014, 11:15 AM
I have the Sonus Faber Olympica 3.
Just got word from Jeff Rowland that there is a demo unit I could borrow for evaluation at home. That would be treat. But if Mark Levinson is releasing their new integrated already this summer - I'd like to wait for that as well.
In my set up the MF M6 500i was a true power house. But the emphasis was on the high and low notes. The voices in between got lost a bit. And since I love products that are organic rather than analytical this unit was a tad on the "hard" side :).

Mike
June 1, 2014, 11:30 AM
Oh, I like those speakers. Nice. Heard them at CES with ARC gear and they sounded great. I would try the McIntosh 8000 integrated if I was you. Not sure it would be better than ARC on SF. The new VAC i160 SE would be worth a try too.

bigblue
June 1, 2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks. Those speakers are really pushing the right hifi buttons for me. I have had the MA8000 on my short list as well. The "new" McIntosh sound would fit the speakers and my ears perfect I think. The size however is one downsize. I'd have to rearrange my cabinet and open up a hole in the rear wall in order to make room for it. The compact size in combination with 800 W is one of the things that intrigues me with the Continuum S2.

Mike
June 1, 2014, 12:33 PM
You know another one I would look at is the Vitus RI-100.

socfan12
June 1, 2014, 12:48 PM
I would love to hear ANYTHING Vitus as well.:audiophile:

Mike, the Ayre Integrated received some great reviews. Here's Art Dudley's take (http://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-acoustics-ax-5-integrated-amplifier).

Here's a snippet:

"On the plus side, it's one of the three best, most musical, most human-sounding solid-state amps I've ever heard, in which regards it rivals the DNM PA3-S and the darTZeel NHB-108. Heck, it's one of the finest amps I've lived with, period. As such—and as something that takes the place of both preamp and power amp, and to which one need add only a good phono preamp—the AX-5 is a respectably good value. I can imagine this product becoming something of a standard, and deservedly so."

cmalak
June 1, 2014, 01:13 PM
Also...guys don't forget Constellation Audio's new Inspiration line. The first three that came out are the Pre 1.0 ($9K), Stereo 1.0 ($10K) and Monos 1.0 ($20K) but I believe they said, an integrated amp, phono amp, DAC and media player are coming out later this year. And from what I remember, the integrated will be 200wpc into 8ohms and double that into 4ohms. If I had to guess the integrated will be in the $10-12K range putting it in similar territory to the new ML 585 and the Vitus RI-100.

Constellation Audio Introduces Inspiration Series of Preamplifiers and Amplifiers | Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Review (http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/constellation-audio-introduces-inspiration-series-of-preamplifiers-and-amplifiers/)

http://audiofi.net/2014/05/three-new-1s-from-constellation-audio/

Mike
June 1, 2014, 01:20 PM
You're right Cyril. Good point.

jhameeh
August 1, 2014, 02:12 PM
Any updates on the review? Looking forward to this.

Looking for Integrated Amp for my Harbeth SHL5, it might be JR S2.

jhameeh

joeinid
August 1, 2014, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the forum jhameeh!

Thank you for joining.

GuidoCorona
August 2, 2014, 01:22 PM
Hi Jameeh, welcome to the thread....

Have you had a look at Roy Gregory's thorough review of the Rowland Continuum S2 at:
Jeff Rowland Design Group Continuum S2 Integrated Amplifier - The Audio Beat - www.TheAudioBeat.com (http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/jeff_rowland_continuum_s2.htm)
It contains a wealth of detailed observations on this integrated.
Regards, Guido

bigblue
August 31, 2014, 11:47 AM
I had the pleasure of a Continuum S2 home loan over the summer to evaluate the amp and to see how it performed against my Audio Research DSI200. I now own a Jeff Rowland integrated :). It is unbelievably good. I really loved the DSI but the JR was better in all respects (except price...). You have way more bass information. The timbre evolving from the lower frequencies is mindblowing. And, it also plays the smaller, more delicate notes just as well. The soundstage is the same size as the Audio Research but without the "signature" you get from the DSI200. Everything simply sounds more natural, true and "live".

bigblue
August 31, 2014, 11:52 AM

Mike
August 31, 2014, 11:59 AM
Congrats!!

the professor
August 31, 2014, 12:46 PM
Congrats

It's i really nice amp

I had the pleasure of a Continuum S2 home loan over the summer to evaluate the amp and to see how it performed against my Audio Research DSI200. I now own a Jeff Rowland integrated :). It is unbelievably good. I really loved the DSI but the JR was better in all respects (except price...). You have way more bass information. The timbre evolving from the lower frequencies is mindblowing. And, it also plays the smaller, more delicate notes just as well. The soundstage is the same size as the Audio Research but without the "signature" you get from the DSI200. Everything simply sounds more natural, true and "live".

cmalak
August 31, 2014, 02:42 PM
bigblue...congrats on the S2 :thumbsup: What is the rest of your rig?

bigblue
August 31, 2014, 03:11 PM
Thank you! I have the Sonus Faber Olympica 3 speakers a full loom of Wireworld cables and an Oppo 105 who will act as a transport when the DAC arrives :).

johndoe21ro
October 29, 2014, 05:51 AM
I see this thread stopped pretty abruptly. Mike, what happened? Do you still have the S2? Did you go for Hegel as I see in your signature? Tell us (me) more! If so, can you compare the two, side by side? I'm planning an upgrade soon and S2, Model 525 or Hegel H20/30 would be targeted. The Ayre integrated sounds interesting too. :)

Mike
October 29, 2014, 08:49 AM
I see this thread stopped pretty abruptly. Mike, what happened? Do you still have the S2? Did you go for Hegel as I see in your signature? Tell us (me) more! If so, can you compare the two, side by side? I'm planning an upgrade soon and S2, Model 525 or Hegel H20/30 would be targeted. The Ayre integrated sounds interesting too. :)

It all depends on your speakers and what you are trying to achieve. I thought the S2 after 1000 hours started to sound nice, but it always retained that Class D sonic signature. If your goal is an integrated for a pair of Raidho speakers, it's hard to beat the S2. It leaned out the bass and had the speed to keep up with the fast Raidho woofers. Just don't expect anything from the built in phonostage. I never tried the DAC.

I found the Hegel H300 much more musical, but a bass nightmare with my Raidho D3's. The H300 has loads of bass and even at RMAF on a pair of Magico S3's it was boomy as hell.

So first, what speakers will you be using with your new integrated?

johndoe21ro
October 29, 2014, 11:56 AM
It all depends on your speakers and what you are trying to achieve. I thought the S2 after 1000 hours started to sound nice, but it always retained that Class D sonic signature. If your goal is an integrated for a pair of Raidho speakers, it's hard to beat the S2. It leaned out the bass and had the speed to keep up with the fast Raidho woofers. Just don't expect anything from the built in phonostage. I never tried the DAC.

I found the Hegel H300 much more musical, but a bass nightmare with my Raidho D3's. The H300 has loads of bass and even at RMAF on a pair of Magico S3's it was boomy as hell.

So first, what speakers will you be using with your new integrated?

My Raidho's of course. I'm more of a computer audiophile so I'm not interested in the phono stage or the DAC for the S2. In fact I wonder if S2 is not too much - I can use the exaSound's pre with great success and use a Model 525 very well. My budget is pretty limited anyway.
What about that boomy bass? How did you solve it? For me a fast and punchy bass is a must. It's a sonic trait of all Raidho's that I very much like.

Mike
October 29, 2014, 12:18 PM
It decreased the bass to listenable levels. If you want lots of bass - go for the Hegel H300!

johndoe21ro
October 29, 2014, 02:56 PM
It decreased the bass to listenable levels. If you want lots of bass - go for the Hegel H300!

I'm not sure I understand... You said you've sticked to Hegel. You also said that Hegel has lots of bass - 'nightmare bass with the Raidho's' was your saying. How did you solve the problem 'cause I see you still have the Hegel H30 at your signature but no Jeff Rowland?
I don't want lots of bass, Mike. I like controlled, fast and detailed bottom end. My Raidho's don't go down too much, but for my room, my taste and especially my money they're very ok at least for the time being.