PDA

View Full Version : Best flat panel HDTV (PLASMA) for the money, right now! | Top Value, and Performance.

NorthStar
April 15, 2013, 01:43 AM
I have always recommended that Series (ST) from Panasonic (for years), to all my friends,
and now for the very first time ever, in the year 2013.

=> http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55st60/4505-6482_7-35567256.html

Esteban
April 15, 2013, 05:07 PM
I am in the market for a 65" plasma to replace my Panasonic 65V10. At first I contemplated the upcoming 65ZT60, which promises to equal or surpass the quality of Pioneer's esteemed Kuro sets. But after reading CNet's review, plus tons of very positive feedback on other message boards, I think I'll keep the change in my pocket and go for the 65ST60 instead... Amazing value!

Mike
April 15, 2013, 05:11 PM
Panasonic plasmas are excellent. I have one and love it. Good luck with your search.

NorthStar
April 15, 2013, 06:06 PM
I am in the market for a 65" plasma to replace my Panasonic 65V10. At first I contemplated the upcoming 65ZT60, which promises to equal or surpass the quality of Pioneer's esteemed Kuro sets. But after reading CNet's review, plus tons of very positive feedback on other message boards, I think I'll keep the change in my pocket and go for the 65ST60 instead... Amazing value!

You have the same line of thinking as I Esteban. :) ...If money is growing on trees from your backyard, yeah, go for the ZT Series. But if like me you don't see money growing on your trees, the 65" class from the ST Series would do just fine. ...And me, for me and my entourage, from a wise decision, I'd get that one as well. ...Amazing HDTV 3D Plasma for the money! ...And you can compare it directly with others much more expensive; the top guns from Panasonic and Samsung.

And AVS Forum, the pro video calibrators, they all love the Panny ST60 Series.

dlb2
April 15, 2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the link Bob. I have a 42" Pioneer Kuro that is absolutely amazing. I plan on getting something bigger, around 60", and I just can't see going back to LCD. I love the film-like quality that you get from a Plasma. When I get ready to purchase I'll give the ST series a look.

NorthStar
April 15, 2013, 06:21 PM
...By that time though we might be in the OLED Wizard of Oz land. ...And 4K of course.

For right now, and the next six months or so, the Panasonic Plasma ST60 Series is the true King;
performance and tremendous value wise.

f1 fan
April 15, 2013, 09:40 PM
Hey guys, this is great info because I'm in the market for a new TV and could not decide between LCD or plasma.

Dave

dlb2
April 15, 2013, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, this is great info because I'm in the market for a new TV and could not decide between LCD or plasma.

Dave

When it comes to LCD vs. Plasma, to me it comes down to what your primary viewing is. I know LCD has come a long way but if I'm watching sports the blurring on an LCD screen drives me nuts. A good example of this is watching a hockey puck travel down the ice. If you are a big movie watcher I think Plasma is the way to go. LCD's are great for crystal-clear, vibrant pictures that don't have much motion.

I have both at different houses and every time I sit down to watch something on the LCD I wish it was a Plasma.

What are you leaning toward Dave?

NorthStar
April 15, 2013, 10:09 PM
Simply put; LED (LCD) HDTVs are best for slides shows. ...You know, family portraits and nature photographs.

Plasma HDTVs are best for moving pictures; like movies from Blu-rays and DVDs (VHS tapes? ;)), and also for watching stuff like Sports, or races (cars, and horses), and tennis, and football, and hockey, and soccer, and golf, and music concerts, and soap operas, and reality shows, and fast commercials, and nature documentaries, and animal kingdoms, and American Idol, and Dancing with the Stars, and everything else that moves, and certainly for games too.

f1 fan
April 15, 2013, 10:41 PM
When it comes to LCD vs. Plasma, to me it comes down to what your primary viewing is. I know LCD has come a long way but if I'm watching sports the blurring on an LCD screen drives me nuts. A good example of this is watching a hockey puck travel down the ice. If you are a big movie watcher I think Plasma is the way to go. LCD's are great for crystal-clear, vibrant pictures that don't have much motion.

I have both at different houses and every time I sit down to watch something on the LCD I wish it was a Plasma.

What are you leaning toward Dave?

Doug...thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward a Plasma. I have Samsung LCD's and looking to add a 50 or 55" to replace a 37" LCD Samsung. My parents have both and recently bought a LG Plasma and the picture is amazing.

Dave

f1 fan
April 15, 2013, 10:58 PM
Simply put; LED (LCD) HDTVs are best for slides shows. ...You know, family portraits and nature photographs.

Plasma HDTVs are best for moving pictures; like movies from Blu-rays and DVDs (VHS tapes? ;)), and also for watching stuff like Sports, or races (cars, and horses), and tennis, and football, and hockey, and soccer, and golf, and music concerts, and soap operas, and reality shows, and fast commercials, and nature documentaries, and animal kingdoms, and American Idol, and Dancing with the Stars, and everything else that moves, and certainly for games too.

Bob...thank you for steering me in the right direction;)

Dave

NorthStar
April 15, 2013, 11:50 PM
Hey, my pleasure Dave. :)

socfan12
April 16, 2013, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the link Bob. I have a 42" Pioneer Kuro that is absolutely amazing. I plan on getting something bigger, around 60", and I just can't see going back to LCD. I love the film-like quality that you get from a Plasma. When I get ready to purchase I'll give the ST series a look.

Dug,

I heard the Kuros are killers but can't get them any more. Is that true?

Esteban
April 16, 2013, 07:11 AM

+1 :)

dlb2
April 16, 2013, 08:38 AM
Dug,

I heard the Kuros are killers but can't get them any more. Is that true?

Pioneer doesn't make them anymore but initially sold the Kuro technology to Panasonic. The last I heard Sharp released a couple of TV's with the Elite branding back in 2011. The smallest model, a 60" LED LCD, retailed for $6500.00!!!

The website is here is you're interested: Elite LCD HDTVs | Premium LED Backlit, 4-Color, Internet Ready 3D TVs (http://elitelcdtv.com/)

As much as I love my Kuro, there's no way I'm willing to spend a large amount of money on a TV anymore. I think technology has progressed beyond what the Kuro line had to offer except perhaps in black levels. I haven't kept up on TV technology, and I'm sure Bob (Northstar) can interject some knowledge here, but I'm willing to bet that there are sets available for a reasonable price that are just as amazing as those Kuro's of old.

Esteban
April 16, 2013, 10:27 AM
Pioneer doesn't make them anymore but initially sold the Kuro technology to Panasonic. The last I heard Sharp released a couple of TV's with the Elite branding back in 2011. The smallest model, a 60" LED LCD, retailed for $6500.00!!!

The website is here is you're interested: Elite LCD HDTVs | Premium LED Backlit, 4-Color, Internet Ready 3D TVs (http://elitelcdtv.com/)

As much as I love my Kuro, there's no way I'm willing to spend a large amount of money on a TV anymore. I think technology has progressed beyond what the Kuro line had to offer except perhaps in black levels. I haven't kept up on TV technology, and I'm sure Bob (Northstar) can interject some knowledge here, but I'm willing to bet that there are sets available for a reasonable price that are just as amazing as those Kuro's of old.

I agree with Doug. It would be foolish to spend large sums on a flat panel display nowadays. Things are changing, technology is improving, viewing habits are transforming and companies are going out of business at an alarming pace. Sony announced a 4K display for $25K last year. Now there's one available from a new manufacturer for $1500! See here (http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/15/seiki-offcially-prices-its-50-inch-4k-tv-at-1500-for-late-april/)

The Panasonic ST60 series, just like with the ST50 models from last year, represents the absolute "sweet spot" between features, performance and price. And based on recent reviews from trusted sources, the ST60's are even MORE impressive and cheaper still. They basically replace the old GT series but offer more bang for the buck. Most calibrators over at AVS Forums are stating that they even outperform or match last year's top of the of the line series, the VT50! That is an impressive achievement. A 65" plasma TV with outstanding, near-reference picture quality and 48/96hz refresh rate (only available in the VT last year) for $2500 list (cheaper online) was unheard of only a few years ago. Will the ZT60 be better? Of course. Will it be $2K better? Doubtful. Not to mention, it has a new panel. This could mean great things, but it also could mean horror stories from a reliability point of view. I'd rather go with a proven panel.

The Pioneer Kuro will always be a great TV, and no set at reasonable prices might be able to match its black level performance, at least on paper. Let's also remember they used to retail for around $5K to $7K. They belong to a different retail/consumer world. Sadly, there is a reason why Pioneer's TV division went out of business. But the truth is that Panasonic TV's have better grayscale, better color accuracy, more calibration tools, larger sizes (65" vs. 60" for the largest Kuro) and considerably more features. They also consume significantly less power (this is important to me at least). I do not care for 3D, apps nor any similar gimmick myself. I use my TV as a TV, not a giant computer monitor. I don't even have cable. I am simply a film lover who wants the best possible quality at a reasonable price. And the ST60's give you pretty much 99% of what the Kuro does at a fraction of the cost. In real life, who can actually discern the difference between 0.0001 and 0.001 ft.-L when it comes to black levels? Unless you have a COMPLETELY dark room, you can't. Plus, in Panasonic's case, the manufacturer is still in business (for now, at least!). That always helps. :)

socfan12
April 16, 2013, 11:33 AM
Thx, Doug and Esteban, very helpful and agree with your sentiments, especially with the advent of 4K.

Cheers

dlb2
April 16, 2013, 12:16 PM
Esteban, thanks for the post. It's good to see you here!

Esteban
April 16, 2013, 12:22 PM
Esteban, thanks for the post. It's good to see you here!

Thank you, Doug!

NorthStar
April 16, 2013, 03:24 PM
Great post (#16) Esteban.

Doug, in reference to your post (#15) just above; I just know what I've read. ...But I do read a lot, and not just about Kuros and plasmas, and Panasonic, and Samsung, and Black levels, and 2K, and 4K, and 3D, but also about the world we live in right in the now.

* Kuro plasmas are very nice, but they are now outdated in many departments, and have also their own flaws; one I believe is called Red Color.

We all know that their main advantage (Kuro) is their Black level; but like some members have already mentioned, it is now much lesser if not having the same importance as it used to.

It is almost like turntables, but turntables kept going up and up and up and even higher.
And with HDTVs it is the picture, not the sound, that keeps us pushing towards newer and better technologies.

The high-heeled people, the truly dedicated audio people; the ones with resurrection on their mind, because of their substantial album's investments, are being supplied with TTs that keep pushing the limit of what can be achieved and loved.
And TT's manufacturers are there for them/us.

Hi-res audio downloads are one of the other alternatives; and it too is part of the world we now live in; with all the good and the bad.

But! The good news is this; we all have a choice, and we all love when we play.
The bad news? ...There are no bad news, only human's failures and natural disasters.
...The cataclysm of living on Earth, since the very beginning of times ....

NorthStar
April 16, 2013, 03:55 PM
That issue I just mentioned on my last post, from most Pioneer Kuro plasmas; Red Color, is mainly called the Red Tint issue actually.

* Now, just for kicks: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-darbee-darblet-review

iamhifi
April 22, 2013, 10:17 PM
I say get a Pioneer Kuro 60 in if you can find one
Angel

johnthomas
April 28, 2013, 09:17 AM
I say get a Pioneer Kuro 60 in if you can find one
Angel

+1 for sure

iamhifi
April 29, 2013, 11:39 AM
The reason I recomend the Kuro 60 is because I have it and I get amaze at the black level, white, color. This Plama is out of the park with quality
Angel

Sean
April 29, 2013, 11:42 AM
I agree with Doug. It would be foolish to spend large sums on a flat panel display nowadays. Things are changing, technology is improving, viewing habits are transforming and companies are going out of business at an alarming pace. Sony announced a 4K display for $25K last year. Now there's one available from a new manufacturer for $1500! See here (http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/15/seiki-offcially-prices-its-50-inch-4k-tv-at-1500-for-late-april/)

The Panasonic ST60 series, just like with the ST50 models from last year, represents the absolute "sweet spot" between features, performance and price. And based on recent reviews from trusted sources, the ST60's are even MORE impressive and cheaper still. They basically replace the old GT series but offer more bang for the buck. Most calibrators over at AVS Forums are stating that they even outperform or match last year's top of the of the line series, the VT50! That is an impressive achievement. A 65" plasma TV with outstanding, near-reference picture quality and 48/96hz refresh rate (only available in the VT last year) for $2500 list (cheaper online) was unheard of only a few years ago. Will the ZT60 be better? Of course. Will it be $2K better? Doubtful. Not to mention, it has a new panel. This could mean great things, but it also could mean horror stories from a reliability point of view. I'd rather go with a proven panel.

This is mighty fine advice....I might have to rethink how much I allocate to a new set.

Esteban
April 29, 2013, 11:43 AM
One might want to wait for the Panasonic ZT60's instead of purchasing an used Kuro. Similar or better than Kuro perfomance, tons of additional features, 3D (if you care about that sort of thing), bigger screen sizes, reasonable price... ETA is in May. Or, better yet, the ST60 series offers tremendous value, as stated above.

Rayooo
April 29, 2013, 12:07 PM
...so way back in early 2008, I bought a PDP-5010FD Kuro.

At the time I'd already figured Plasma would have been dead and gone, but, evaluating the LCDs at the time was not a pretty sight. So I bought the Kuro.. yea, not perfect, but, so so good for movies in a darkish room.

long around 2011, the Kuro craps out (power supply) I look at getting it fixed, then figure, "heck LCDs surely have surpassed these crappy plasmas" ..So I buy some latest Samsung LCD pretty much sight un-seen. bring it home turn it on and return it the next day.
By most all measures, the Samsung beat the Kuro, brighter, sharper, color accuracy etc...BUT
Where did my black level go? I'm literally so spoiled that I'm willing to trade other flaws just to have some semblance of black.

So I haul the Kuro down to a repair shop, pay the man $$ and to this day the Kuro is still ticking.
...I'm just hoping, when the day comes it really does bite-the-dust, I can get a set with proper black levels.

Esteban
April 29, 2013, 12:16 PM
...so way back in early 2008, I bought a PDP-5010FD Kuro.

At the time I'd already figured Plasma would have been dead and gone, but, evaluating the LCDs at the time was not a pretty sight. So I bought the Kuro.. yea, not perfect, but, so so good for movies in a darkish room.

long around 2011, the Kuro craps out (power supply) I look at getting it fixed, then figure, "heck LCDs surely have surpassed these crappy plasmas" ..So I buy some latest Samsung LCD pretty much sight un-seen. bring it home turn it on and return it the next day.
By most all measures, the Samsung beat the Kuro, brighter, sharper, color accuracy etc...BUT
Where did my black level go? I'm literally so spoiled that I'm willing to trade other flaws just to have some semblance of black.

So I haul the Kuro down to a repair shop, pay the man $$ and to this day the Kuro is still ticking.
...I'm just hoping, when the day comes it really does bite-the-dust, I can get a set with proper black levels.

The day might be here sooner than you thought. Check out the very first pro review of the ZT60:

Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B 3D Plasma Television Review | AVForums.com - UK Online (http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-TX-P60ZT65B-P60ZT60-ZT65-60-Inch-3D-Plasma-Television_525/Review.html)

In short: better than Kuro blacks. Better in every other way, too.

iamhifi
April 29, 2013, 12:19 PM
The Kuro magic is in the screen, to expensive to produce, and yest I seen a lot of new LCD, LED, etc, and I have not seen a TV that can beat the Kuro yet

iamhifi
April 29, 2013, 12:20 PM
My understanding is that Pioneer Elite will be sourcing the screens from Panasonic.

Esteban
April 29, 2013, 12:26 PM
My understanding is that Pioneer Elite will be sourcing the screens from Panasonic.

It's actually the other way around, plus Panasonic is implementing some new features on the ZT's panel as well. Check out the review above for details. We all love the Kuro, don't get me wrong, but it seems there's finally something out there that surpasses it while at the same time offering some additional features and consuming a lot less power...

iamhifi
April 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
What I read was the Kuro screen was at the end of the road, I am sure that technology has to advance, and also be sure they will compare to the Kuro. Back then there were 2 60 inch Kuro, one you could adjust everything and no speakers on the side, the reviers love this one for theater, and the other has like different settings and that made it easy for me, as my kids watch this TV all the time and has the speakers.

NorthStar
April 29, 2013, 05:08 PM
1. Can you get a Pioneer Elite Kuro in a 65" size class? ...No, 60" is max.
2. Kuro 3D? ...No, last Kuro model was back in 2010 I believe, just before 3D.
3. Best Black level today? Kuro, but by a very small margin.
4. Everything else is 2013 Panasonic and Samsung plasmas. ...For best natural colors, features, and all the rest.

Money? Panasonic and Samsung plasmas (brand new). ...Kuros are all used ones.

Kuros are great TVs, with great blacks; that's it! Yesterday they cost between $4,000 and $8,000 for a 60" model.
Today you can get a 65", 3D, zillion of features (Internet and all), and 0.002* black level (Kuros' best are 0.001 fl*), and for roughly $2,000.
* Close enough.

Tomorrow? Hey, it's coming soon; OLED, 4K and all. :)

What is best? Best is our older Kuros, our relatively new Panasonic and Samsung plasmas, and whatever tomorrow brings.

What do I recommend? ...Happiness, nothing else. ...Because everything has flaws, nothing's perfect, and that's the way it will always be.

You got the room? Wait a bit and get a 4K front projector.
You want a flat panel, the largest one? ...Check Sony, Sharp, and what's coming soon.
You want an average size (50 to 65")? ...Forget LED (unless you're an older lady and watch soap operas), and get a Panasonic plasma (or Samsung).
You're on a very limited budget? Get Samsung or Panasonic, third from the top.
You want a free one? Enter all the TV contests of your neighborhood. :D

Esteban
April 29, 2013, 05:17 PM
1. Can you get a Pioneer Elite Kuro in a 65" size class? ...No, 60" is max.
2. Kuro 3D? ...No, last Kuro model was back in 2010 I believe, just before 3D.
3. Best Black level today? Kuro, but by a very small margin.
4. Everything else is 2013 Panasonic and Samsung plasmas. ...For best natural colors, features, and all the rest.

Money? Panasonic and Samsung plasmas (brand new). ...Kuros are all used ones.

Kuros are great TVs, with great blacks; that's it! Yesterday they cost between $4,000 and $8,000 for a 60" model.
Today you can get a 65", 3D, zillion of features (Internet and all), and 0.002* black level (Kuros' best are 0.001 fl*), and for roughly $2,000.
* Close enough.

Tomorrow? Hey, it's coming soon; OLED, 4K and all. :)

What is best? Best is our older Kuros, our relatively new Panasonic and Samsung plasmas, and whatever tomorrow brings.

What do I recommend? ...Happiness, nothing else. ...Because everything has flaws, nothing's perfect, and that's the way it will always be.

You got the room? Wait a bit and get a 4K front projector.
You want a flat panel, the largest one? ...Check Sony, Sharp, and what's coming soon.
You want an average size (50 to 65")? ...Forget LED (unless you're an older lady and watch soap operas), and get a Panasonic plasma (or Samsung).
You're on a very limited budget? Get Samsung or Panasonic, third from the top.
You want a free one? Enter all the TV contests of your neighborhood. :D

Great post! +1

NorthStar
April 29, 2013, 06:15 PM
If one person enjoyed it, than it's good enough for me; thanx Esteban!

* Your avatar is truly the best here, of all the AudioShark members!
...The Violinist.

Esteban
April 29, 2013, 06:23 PM
If one person enjoyed it, than it's good enough for me; thanx Esteban!

* Your avatar is truly the best here, of all the AudioShark members!
...The Violinist.

Thanks, Bob! Glad you enjoy it! I love Beksinski's art. Truly a visionary of the dark and beautifully macabre...

NorthStar
April 29, 2013, 11:45 PM
Dave has also a great avatar right now: Jennifer.

NorthStar
May 28, 2013, 08:51 PM
* Panasonic Viera TC-P60ST60 3D Plasma HDTV | Home Theater (http://www.hometheater.com/content/panasonic-viera-tc-p60st60-3d-plasma-hdtv)

** Panasonic TC-P60ST60 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p60st60/4505-6482_7-35566952.html)

BruceLet
May 29, 2013, 07:33 AM
Few things in life are as good as my Kuro. Six years later and I still watch in awe. I keep hearing that there are things out there "almost" as good, but I've yet to see something that comes close, in my opinion.

Elberoth
May 29, 2013, 08:58 AM
Few things in life are as good as my Kuro. Six years later and I still watch in awe. I keep hearing that there are things out there "almost" as good, but I've yet to see something that comes close, in my opinion.

The new Panasonic plasmas do. It took them 5 years to do it, but they finally did it with 2013 models.

BruceLet
May 29, 2013, 09:03 AM
The new Panasonic plasmas do. It took them 5 years to do it, but they finally did it with 2013 models.

I look forward to seeing that with my own eyes, but do I hope so. I've been wondering how I could replace the Kuro when the time comes.

Esteban
May 29, 2013, 09:25 AM
I just got a 65VT60 this past weekend. It's not calibrated yet, I'm still merely breaking it in and watching mostly full screen content while the phosphors and pixels age during the first 100/200 hours, plus I merely tweaked the settings using Cnet's recommendations... but I will say this: this thing gets REALLY dark! As in Kuro dark. The contrast ratio and depth is off the charts. Unlike the Kuro, it has tons of other features, too (most I will never use, such as 3D, but some are truly interesting, like the ability to rename and change inputs, copy and paste settings, etc). Additionally, the built-in, front firing speakers are surprisingly of more than acceptable quality. I could easily watch a music show on this set without turning my 2-CH amp on. This is a big plus in my book. Living in South FL and having my stereo and HT system in the same medium-sized room, sometimes it's not really worth firing up the tube amp, receiver, TV, etc in order to just watch "Sense And Sensibility". The room would get too damn hot in 5 minutes! Having great speakers on the VT60 was a big relief.

A word of warning, though: unlike my previous 65V10, the VT60 does get really, really hot (due to its thinness and extra processing power, I suppose). The fans are ALWAYS running and I can hear them. I am experimenting with some fan filters that I just purchased and hoping to completely eliminate the noise. I'll report back with an update soon. This is the the only drawback I can see on the VT60, other than the cheesy looking stand/base and the silver trim (I'd have preferred a plain black bezel instead).

NorthStar
May 29, 2013, 05:43 PM
Bruce, 4K and OLED. :)

Esteban, congratulations!
- Btw, you are a very sensitive person when it comes to fans! ;)

TubeBias
May 29, 2013, 07:08 PM
Perfect timing as I am looking at these today and ready to make a purchase.I guess I won't go wrong with either the Samsung or the Panasonic.
Does anyone know what the difference is between the ST50 and ST60?
Is the 50 just last years model?

NorthStar
May 29, 2013, 09:03 PM
Perfect timing as I am looking at these today and ready to make a purchase.I guess I won't go wrong with either the Samsung or the Panasonic.

Yes, the ST50 is last year's (2012) model, and is very good.
The ST60 is this year's (2013) model, and is also excellent.

And you're right too regarding Samsung and Panasonic plasma HDTVs; you can't go wrong with either one; from their top tier models (respectively their three top models).

Me personally I prefer Samsung; not for the name, but for their overall design, good looks, performance, and ergonomics & features. Still, I'd be perfectly happy with the ST60 (65" Class).
The Panasonics might have slightly better black levels, but without carefully comparing them side by side you'd never know. ...And the blacks of the Samsungs are black enough, IMO.

No one is truly better; they both have their pros and cons.
At the end it's a relation between your eye's satisfaction, and your wallet.

Esteban
May 29, 2013, 10:23 PM

Compared to the ST50, the ST60 offers considerably more calibration options, has much better blacks (very close to the VT60, in fact), a 96HZ mode and comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. It's an amazing deal for the money. I went all the way to the VT60 mainly because I got a great price on it and also because I wanted the best blacks possible and I appreciated the front-firing speakers. But as Bob said, you can't go wrong with any of them. :)

TubeBias
May 29, 2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for confirming.
Honestly I believe I am over thinking my purchase.I have a 60 DLP i am replacing a dim torn.
55 or 60
ST or VT
Maybe the F from Samsung
Decisions decisions.

Esteban
May 29, 2013, 10:32 PM
Bruce, 4K and OLED. :)

Esteban, congratulations!
- Btw, you are a very sensitive person when it comes to fans! ;)

Thank you, Bob! And, yes, being so susceptible to fan noise is a curse!:)

NorthStar
May 29, 2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks for confirming.
Honestly I believe I am over thinking my purchase.I have a 60 DLP i am replacing a dim torn.
55 or 60
ST or VT
Maybe the F from Samsung
Decisions decisions.

Take your time, check that other thread on the Flat Panels 2013 Shootout from Value Electronics.
Check the prices between the three top Samsung and three top Panasonic plasma models.
Then get out, and go where they are to have a look at them.
You only have six of them on paper.

And as for size, go with the biggest one (65" Class in this case here).
...If not, 60" minimum (much better than 55").

And that's my http://theaudioannex.com/forum/images/smilies/twocents/mytwocents.gif

Elberoth
May 30, 2013, 02:11 AM
Thanks for confirming.
55 or 60
ST or VT
Maybe the F from Samsung
Decisions decisions.

ST60 all the way. Better than Samsung ... in fact better than almost everything else.

NorthStar
May 30, 2013, 03:31 PM
ST60 all the way. Better than Samsung ... in fact better than almost everything else.

I agree with you; in that price range, and even higher on the money echelon.
- Panasonic Viera TC-P60ST60 3D Plasma HDTV | Home Theater (http://www.hometheater.com/content/panasonic-viera-tc-p60st60-3d-plasma-hdtv)

* This year's Panasonic ST60 plasma Series measured essentially the same as last year's VT50 Series!

---------------------ST60------.------VT50

1. Contrast Ratio: -13,208:1---------16,165:1
2. Peak White: ----31.7 ft-L---------32.33 ft-L
3. Black Level: ----0.0024 ft-L---.---0.002 ft-L

TubeBias
May 31, 2013, 12:11 AM
Yep,going out to try and find the ST60 local.I'd like to get it and set it up this weekend since it will be a major redesign of the whole setup getting this DLP outta here and having more space.
Hope i can find one.

Dpod4
May 31, 2013, 06:03 PM
Got my st60 at best buy. It's in the master bedroom. Flagship Samsung F series showing up today for family room.

NorthStar
June 1, 2013, 03:37 AM
Got my Panasonic ST60 at best buy. It's in the master bedroom.

Congratulations! :) ...Size?

Flagship Samsung F Series showing up today for family room.

The PNF8500 Series? :cool: ...Size?

* Samsung PN60F8500 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn60f8500/4505-6482_7-35566923.html)

Dpod4
June 1, 2013, 04:42 PM
60 inch - 1/4" to spare for built in space1628

NorthStar
June 1, 2013, 07:40 PM
The stand is truly unique, I like it! :cool: