Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    912

    Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    Just tootin' my horn a little bit on what I consider one of the most underrated and best speakers I've heard. It's really pretty hard to beat. Especially in it's class. At least for my smallish room application (27' x 16'). For those who have a little too much speaker for their room, look no further. This speaker covers both small, medium, and large speaker territory so well. Very rich sounding with a smooth, sweet, top end. It has a big speaker soundstage, wide and deep. It's also a very honest speaker. It adds nothing you don't want and pretty much everything you do.

    It seems the 30 and 40 series and the smaller Harbeths get the most love. But, if you're looking for a somewhat smaller speaker and you have a limited amount of room, this one is a no brainer. It won't overwhelm the room. Beautiful deep, tight, bass. Clean, crisp, pure, mids and beautiful, open, smooth (I know, I said that before) top end. Extremely well balanced speaker. And they break in so nicely.

    If you're looking for a true audiophile class speaker that's somewhere in between a smaller and larger size, for your smaller to mid sized listening room, check this speaker out. I think you'll really enjoy it. Great speaker. I think sometimes in their search for a small to medium room speaker, customers skip from small to large speakers and end up overpowering the room. The Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversaries won't do that. BTW, it's outstanding for acoustic instrument recordings.

    I did write a review of this speaker over a year ago but I thought it might be interesting to revisit the Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary speaker after some time has passed just to see if my enthusiasm for this speaker has waned. It hasn't. No connection to Harbeth. Just an extremely satisfied customer.
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

    DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

    Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

    Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

    Headphones/Amp: Focal Stellia phones, NAIM Uniti Atom Headphone Edition headphone amp/music player/server/streamer.

    Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

    Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    173

    Re: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    Nice speakers, with overwhelmingly good reviews. Beautiful too. Being 62, I like their classic sound signature. I looked them hard, but due to my low power DIY FirstWatt amps, I had to look elsewhere.

    I’m glad you, like many others, like them.
    Amp : DIY FirstWatt M2x mono amps
    Digital : Bricasti M12, Oppo 203
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, Boulder 508
    Speakers : Daedalus Audio Muse Studio
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,929

    Re: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    Duplicate
    Paul

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,929

    Re: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Just tootin' my horn a little bit on what I consider one of the most underrated and best speakers I've heard. It's really pretty hard to beat. Especially in it's class. At least for my smallish room application (27' x 16'). For those who have a little too much speaker for their room, look no further. This speaker covers both small, medium, and large speaker territory so well. Very rich sounding with a smooth, sweet, top end. It has a big speaker soundstage, wide and deep. It's also a very honest speaker. It adds nothing you don't want and pretty much everything you do.

    It seems the 30 and 40 series and the smaller Harbeths get the most love. But, if you're looking for a somewhat smaller speaker and you have a limited amount of room, this one is a no brainer. It won't overwhelm the room. Beautiful deep, tight, bass. Clean, crisp, pure, mids and beautiful, open, smooth (I know, I said that before) top end. Extremely well balanced speaker. And they break in so nicely.

    If you're looking for a true audiophile class speaker that's somewhere in between a smaller and larger size, for your smaller to mid sized listening room, check this speaker out. I think you'll really enjoy it. Great speaker. I think sometimes in their search for a small to medium room speaker, customers skip from small to large speakers and end up overpowering the room. The Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversaries won't do that. BTW, it's outstanding for acoustic instrument recordings.

    I did write a review of this speaker over a year ago but I thought it might be interesting to revisit the Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary speaker after some time has passed just to see if my enthusiasm for this speaker has waned. It hasn't. No connection to Harbeth. Just an extremely satisfied customer.
    I think I can agree with you


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Paul

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    27 x 16 is not a 'smallish room', it's fair to say most would be thrilled to have that size room, especially if you could make it dedicated !!
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    912

    Re: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    27 x 16 is not a 'smallish room', it's fair to say most would be thrilled to have that size room, especially if you could make it dedicated !!

    Hey Dave, yeah 27' x 16' isn't exactly small. That's why I tacked on the "ish." But my listening area in the room is about 1/2 the room. Half the room is family room, a TV with a 55" screen, wood burning stove, and my listening chair. The other 1/2 is recording and music studio. It may not be a truly small room but every bit of is filled with stuff. My listening area is an 8' equilateral triangle. So 1/2 of the room is behind my listening area...if that makes sense? Anyway, I feel like the Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary are about as close to perfect for such a room as you can get. But that's JMHO. And there is hardly a day goes by that my system doesn't slap a big old grin on my goofy looking puss. I love my system...thanks for the 100th time to Mike Bovaird.
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

    DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

    Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

    Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

    Headphones/Amp: Focal Stellia phones, NAIM Uniti Atom Headphone Edition headphone amp/music player/server/streamer.

    Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

    Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    912

    Re: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I think I can agree with you


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Paul, those are gorgeous. And I'll bet they sound every bit as good as they look. Tower speakers seem to really be in style now while the popularity of bookshelf style speakers has waned. Not a thing wrong with tower speakers. There are some odd looking ones out there. And there are some beauties in both sound and looks.

    Some just don't care for "the box" style speaker. But it still remains that some of the finest sounding speakers made are still bookshelf style. It's all about preference. Some like butterscotch ice cream, some like vanilla. Me, I like chocolate. I still love a great sounding bookshelf style speaker. There are countless top notch brands. OTOH, it's been a while since I've heard a great tower speaker. Hmmm.....I think I need another trip to Suncoast Audio.
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

    DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

    Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

    Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

    Headphones/Amp: Focal Stellia phones, NAIM Uniti Atom Headphone Edition headphone amp/music player/server/streamer.

    Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

    Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    5,312

    Re: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    Since I am a British speaker fan I have always thought Harbeth would be an excellent choice. I have never actually heard them.
    Amplifiers: Hattor AMRG Trans, Tube Active Stage | NAD C298 | MBL 8006 B | McIntosh MP100
    Vinyl: Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird | Technics SL-1500C | AT VM740ML
    Digital: T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon NW PC | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | Roon & HQPlayer
    Headphones: Woo Audio WA22 (2nd Gen) | A&K SE-200 | Abyss Diana Phi | Focal Clear MG
    Speakers: KEF LS50 Meta w/S2 | Rythmik L12 (x2)
    Other: Oppo BDP-105 | Magnum Dynalab FT-101A, ST-2

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,929

    Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Paul, those are gorgeous. And I'll bet they sound every bit as good as they look. Tower speakers seem to really be in style now while the popularity of bookshelf style speakers has waned. Not a thing wrong with tower speakers. There are some odd looking ones out there. And there are some beauties in both sound and looks.

    Some just don't care for "the box" style speaker. But it still remains that some of the finest sounding speakers made are still bookshelf style. It's all about preference. Some like butterscotch ice cream, some like vanilla. Me, I like chocolate. I still love a great sounding bookshelf style speaker. There are countless top notch brands. OTOH, it's been a while since I've heard a great tower speaker. Hmmm.....I think I need another trip to Suncoast Audio.
    The chocolate is good way to put Harbeth sounds. I owned 14 pairs of Harbeth pretty much every generations. ( currently owns the 4 pairs ) they have a soul which once you hear what they truly can play it’s hard to get away with. Non of speakers I ever heard have the Harbeth Mid range. Which I think is most important while I listen to music. You can listen to your heart instead of ears or eyes.

    Must confess my Rogers LS3/5a 15 ohms have very similarity on mid range tho. I’m so glad I pushed Mike to carry them Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

  10. #10

    Re: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Since I am a British speaker fan I have always thought Harbeth would be an excellent choice. I have never actually heard them.
    Oh, man...if you're in the Bay Area some time, let me know.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition (And XD) Speakers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •