Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,449

    Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    I've been really intrigued by Mads Buchardt's loudspeakers and speaker design principles, and so with that, my Editor and I reached out to him about getting a pair of the Buchardt S400II standmount loudspeakers in for review, and Mads was "all in".

    So...a pair of S400IIs are arriving Friday!

    Here's a pic of them in white...



    This is gonna be fun...
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Plantation Bay CC
    Posts
    5,191

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    I've been really intrigued by Mads Buchardt's loudspeakers and speaker design principles, and so with that, my Editor and I reached out to him about getting a pair of the Buchardt S400II standmount loudspeakers in for review, and Mads was "all in".

    So...a pair of S400IIs are arriving Friday!

    Here's a pic of them in white...



    This is gonna be fun...

    Can't wait for your comments.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Front Row Center
    Posts
    3,477

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Itís gonna be Mads around there ....!
    * An Audiophile is only as old as his latest Class D incarnation *

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    3,089

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    What is intriguing about them? New to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    I've been really intrigued by Mads Buchardt's loudspeakers and speaker design principles, and so with that, my Editor and I reached out to him about getting a pair of the Buchardt S400II standmount loudspeakers in for review, and Mads was "all in".

    So...a pair of S400IIs are arriving Friday!

    Here's a pic of them in white...



    This is gonna be fun...
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Can't wait for your comments.
    Yeah, I am really looking forward to them; going to stay home tomorrow to be sure I'm here to take delivery when the UPS driver arrives.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    What is intriguing about them? New to me.
    The small tweeter (~0.75") with large, textured waveguide, "inverted" driver configuration, with tweeter on bottom, and bass driver on top (my Dyn Contour S3.4's use this configuration, as well), and the passive radiator on the rear. Also, the Buchardts uses very high-quality components for the crossover circuit, including air-core inductors, very high-quality film capacitors, and Mills resistors, unlike the iron-core inductors, electrolytic caps, and cr*p sandcast resistors used in the crossovers of the vast majority of speakers.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  7. #7

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    The small tweeter (~0.75") with large, textured waveguide, "inverted" driver configuration, with tweeter on bottom, and bass driver on top (my Dyn Contour S3.4's use this configuration, as well), and the passive radiator on the rear. Also, the Buchardts uses very high-quality components for the crossover circuit, including air-core inductors, very high-quality film capacitors, and Mills resistors, unlike the iron-core inductors, electrolytic caps, and cr*p sandcast resistors used in the crossovers of the vast majority of speakers.
    How would you possibly know that? The answer is you don't.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

    Reviewer for Positive Feedback

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    3,089

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Looks to be a Danish company that sells direct. There are reviews but I haven't read them yet. Look forward to your comments and how the sound compares to Dynaudio.

    One thing I found interesting they use paper cones yet only 87 dB. I suspect possibly due to the passive radiator design. Well that is also interesting the radiator is 5x8".
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Looks to be a Danish company that sells direct. There are reviews but I haven't read them yet. Look forward to your comments and how the sound compares to Dynaudio.

    One thing I found interesting they use paper cones yet only 87 dB. I suspect possibly due to the passive radiator design. Well that is also interesting the radiator is 5x8".
    Paper is an excellent material for cone driver functional response. Just ask Danny Ritchie.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Front Row Center
    Posts
    3,477

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Agree for midrange , not so much for bass ...!


    Regards
    * An Audiophile is only as old as his latest Class D incarnation *

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Agree for midrange , not so much for bass ...!

    Regards
    These are -3dB at 33Hz. That's very good performance for a standmount.

    Besides, they'll be nicely integrated with my REL sub, for which I did a DOE to determine the control settings for optimal integration; such is the power of the appropriate rigorous statistical analysis for the application at-hand.

    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Whelp, the Buchardt S400IIs arrived today, and I have to say, even without sufficient time to settle fully having just come off the logistics truck, I am already very impressed with them.

    Specs say these are only -3dB down at 33 Hz, and I would believe that; their bass output in the lower registers for a smallish standmount is very impressive.

    For only $2300 USD, delivered, these are a massive value proposition, IMHO. These perform WAY above their price point.


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    3,089

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    I meant paper cones are typically more efficient.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Paper is an excellent material for cone driver functional response. Just ask Danny Ritchie.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,031

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Whelp, the Buchardt S400IIs arrived today, and I have to say, even without sufficient time to settle fully having just come off the logistics truck, I am already very impressed with them.

    Specs say these are only -3dB down at 33 Hz, and I would believe that; their bass output in the lower registers for a smallish standmount is very impressive.

    For only $2300 USD, delivered, these are a massive value proposition, IMHO. These perform WAY above their price point.

    -3dB down at 33 Hz for the Buchardt stand mount is impressive. Amazing value proposition at the price.

    I noted that Steve Huff has reviewed the S400 IIs and another speaker in the Buchardt range, the A700 Le and was very impressed.

    Great to see some audio brands adding affordable product to the range. By offering entry-level products that are both high-quality and distinct, these brands attract consumers who may have previously considered their products unattainable. This expansion of the customer base not only drives revenue but also introduces new audiences to the brand, potentially creating lifelong loyalists.




    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    -3dB down at 33 Hz for the Buchardt stand mount is impressive. Amazing value proposition at the price.

    I noted that Steve Huff has reviewed the S400 IIs and another speaker in the Buchardt range, the A700 Le and was very impressed.

    Great to see some audio brands adding affordable product to the range. By offering entry-level products that are both high-quality and distinct, these brands attract consumers who may have previously considered their products unattainable. This expansion of the customer base not only drives revenue but also introduces new audiences to the brand, potentially creating lifelong loyalists.



    Yes, I agree, and if I may add, your comment is both insightful and accurate about what constitutes...value propostions. Back when I was workin' as an MBB in Biotech, I used to try to get a simple but key principle across to the product development PhD-level scientists & engineers I used to teach DFSS to: Value = Quality/Price. While they were developing DNA Sequencers and Genetic Analysis, the key principlies applied and were the same.

    The Buchardt S400IIs are exemplars of...Value.

    I also watched Steve Huff's video review and agree with his review and conclusions.

    Jay of Jay's Iyagai YT Channel also really liked them, as well, as described in these two videos:




    Thanks, and thank you for sharing your insightful comments. Cheers, mate!
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    68

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Puma Cat, can I ask how you are running them from your P1?
    I have not looked up their connection options. I used to own Dynaudio XD 600ís, which allowed you to hook them up from a digital source (rca) or analog.The best connection on the XDís was digital direct out of my then (Naim) streamer.
    Lumin P1,Nagra Classic Amp, Kharma DB 7ís

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    Puma Cat, can I ask how you are running them from your P1?
    I have not looked up their connection options. I used to own Dynaudio XD 600ís, which allowed you to hook them up from a digital source (rca) or analog.The best connection on the XDís was digital direct out of my then (Naim) streamer.
    Ah, that's easy. They're connected to my Constellation Inspiration integrated amp's speaker terminals. The S400IIs also have nice binding posts; Mads really went through and used very-high quality parts throughout this speaker's components.

    I set the volume on the Inspiration to Unity Gain, and then adjust the actual output volume using the P1's LEEDH volume control, which I find to be superior sonically to the Inspiration. So effectively, the Inspiration integrated simply functions as the power amplifier. The amplifier section of the Inspiration integrated amp is the "standalone" Constellation Inspiration stereo power amp, just with half the number of output devices, so it outputs 100 Wpc RMS instead of 200 Wpc. Other than that, they are identical.

    So...it's really good power amp, too. 👍

    With my 'Beths, which are nominally 6 ohm, sometimes I also the P1 as the preamp for use with my little Amp Camps amps I built up. Running as bridged monos, they put out 15 Wpc pure Class-A power, so they're more than enough for the levels I listen at (nominally 68-74 dB). And, as they're designed by Nelson Pass, they sound...really good. I also upgraded the parts specification doing the build, with all Vishay metal-film resistors, and larger value audio-grade caps in the power supply.





    The little ACAs sound...GREAT. That's Nelson for ya... 😎

    -Stephen aka PC
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    68

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Ah, that's easy. They're connected to my Constellation Inspiration integrated amp's speaker terminals. The S400IIs also have nice binding posts; Mads really went through and used very-high quality parts throughout this speaker's components.

    I set the volume on the Inspiration to Unity Gain, and then adjust the actual output volume using the P1's LEEDH volume control, which I find to be superior sonically to the Inspiration. So effectively, the Inspiration integrated simply functions as the power amplifier. The amplifier section of the Inspiration integrated amp is the "standalone" Constellation Inspiration stereo power amp, just with half the number of output devices, so it outputs 100 Wpc RMS instead of 200 Wpc. Other than that, they are identical.

    So...it's really good power amp, too. 👍

    With my 'Beths, which are nominally 6 ohm, sometimes I also the P1 as the preamp for use with my little Amp Camps amps I built up. Running as bridged monos, they put out 15 Wpc pure Class-A power, so they're more than enough for the levels I listen at (nominally 68-74 dB). And, as they're designed by Nelson Pass, they sound...really good. I also upgraded the parts specification doing the build, with all Vishay metal-film resistors, and larger value audio-grade caps in the power supply.





    The little ACAs sound...GREAT. That's Nelson for ya... 😎

    -Stephen aka PC
    Ah ok, excuse my ignorance of not looking up the specs of the speakers. For some reason I have always thought they were active speakers.😉
    Lumin P1,Nagra Classic Amp, Kharma DB 7ís

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    Ah ok, excuse my ignorance of not looking up the specs of the speakers. For some reason I have always thought they were active speakers.😉
    Buchardt does make active speakers, but the S400IIs and the P300s are passive loudspeakers.

    And yes, a quick search on the 'Net can be effective in providing info and answers. 😉

    Cheers.
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    3,089

    Re: Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

    68 to 74 dB? That's not listening, LOL


    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Ah, that's easy. They're connected to my Constellation Inspiration integrated amp's speaker terminals. The S400IIs also have nice binding posts; Mads really went through and used very-high quality parts throughout this speaker's components.

    I set the volume on the Inspiration to Unity Gain, and then adjust the actual output volume using the P1's LEEDH volume control, which I find to be superior sonically to the Inspiration. So effectively, the Inspiration integrated simply functions as the power amplifier. The amplifier section of the Inspiration integrated amp is the "standalone" Constellation Inspiration stereo power amp, just with half the number of output devices, so it outputs 100 Wpc RMS instead of 200 Wpc. Other than that, they are identical.

    So...it's really good power amp, too. 👍

    With my 'Beths, which are nominally 6 ohm, sometimes I also the P1 as the preamp for use with my little Amp Camps amps I built up. Running as bridged monos, they put out 15 Wpc pure Class-A power, so they're more than enough for the levels I listen at (nominally 68-74 dB). And, as they're designed by Nelson Pass, they sound...really good. I also upgraded the parts specification doing the build, with all Vishay metal-film resistors, and larger value audio-grade caps in the power supply.





    The little ACAs sound...GREAT. That's Nelson for ya... 😎

    -Stephen aka PC
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Buchardt S400II speakers In-Bound

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •