501 Mono Amplifier - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 501 Mono Amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Mark,

The Pass XP-30 output impedance is 120 ohms. The input impedance on the Soulution 501 is 2,000 ohms. That's 17x higher, isn't that sufficient?

Thanks,
    Ken
    I think at that level, the XS preamp would be a better bet with your 100.8's.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

501 Mono Amplifier

Hi Mark,

The Pass XP-30 output impedance is 120 ohms. The input impedance on the Soulution 501 is 2,000 ohms. That's 17x higher, isn't that sufficient?

Thanks,
    Ken
    As good as the 501's are, I would be hard pressed to go to them over 100.8's. At that price point, I can assure you, the XS150's with your XP30 would be a much better combination.

My friend with 100.8's and Strads was over yesterday. He said to me after 4.5 hours of comparison, the XS150's are at least a 50% improvement over the 100.8's.

I've heard a lot of what many consider the worlds current greatest SS amps - 701's, Dart 458, Vitus, CH, FM, etc. and as good as many of them are, IMHO, none can touch the XS150's. The big Vitus class A amps are right there (but at a lot more money), and the Accuphase A-200's too. And a Nelson Pass circuitry you know is leading class in design.

But again, with your preamp....I would be leaning XS150's over 501....

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Post Thanks / Like

I think may depend on where your final setup will be. If D3'are ever added to your system then Soulution all the way
    Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
    Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
    Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
    Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Design Audio Video View Post
    I think may depend on where your final setup will be. If D3'are ever added to your system then Soulution all the way
    I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback everyone. A lot of great food for thought here. I really appreciate it!
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select 2 DAC with Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock, Renderer V2 Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000ís with Hurricane Power Cords

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Ken, just to let you know. I tried the Solution 710 with my Salon 2's, and it was not a good match. The newer Solution amps, like the 711, have a more natural sound. I still don't know if they will work with Salon 2's, but as David said, they're fantastic on Raidho speakers.
    Mark

REL S2 Subwoofers
    Lumin A1 Network Streamer
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Klaudio Ultrasonic record cleaner
    Kimber Select 6063 speaker cables
    Kimber Select 1116 XLR IC's
    Shunyata Cobra Zi-tron,and Ansuz Ceramic power cords,
    Ansuz Mainz D8 power distributer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Ken, just to let you know. I tried the Solution 710 with my Salon 2's, and it was not a good match. The newer Solution amps, like the 711, have a more natural sound. I still don't know if they will work with Salon 2's, but as David said, they're fantastic on Raidho speakers.
    Thanks Mark! Very helpful.
    Source: MSB Select 2 DAC with Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock, Renderer V2 Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a brief review I wrote on the Soulution 501 mono amps:

Right now, I'm running from the Esoteric K-01 directly to the Soulution 501 amps and then to the Salon 2's. Even without the 520 preamp, the sound quality is outstanding. There is tremendous clarity and purity of timbres, and distortion is virtually undetectable. There is also a high degree of resolution but it is delivered with a certain sense of ease, regardless of the volume level. Speed, dynamics and bass control are incredible. Drum strikes on some of my most dynamic Telarc recordings are lightning fast and impactful. Consequently, it just sounds a lot more like live music than what I've previously experienced. Overall the sonic signature is very neutral with just a touch of sweetness in the midrange and treble. I also had the opportunity to audition the Soulution 520 preamp and adding this component in the chain materially increases smoothness, texture and musical density.

Ken

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

501 Mono Amplifier

Here is a brief review I wrote on the Soulution 501 mono amps:

Right now, I'm running from the Esoteric K-01 directly to the Soulution 501 amps and then to the Salon 2's. Even without the 520 preamp, the sound quality is outstanding. There is tremendous clarity and purity of timbres, and distortion is virtually undetectable. There is also a high degree of resolution but it is delivered with a certain sense of ease, regardless of the volume level. Speed, dynamics and bass control are incredible. Drum strikes on some of my most dynamic Telarc recordings are lightning fast and impactful. Consequently, it just sounds a lot more like live music than what I've previously experienced. Overall the sonic signature is very neutral with just a touch of sweetness in the midrange and treble. I also had the opportunity to audition the Soulution 520 preamp and adding this component in the chain materially increases smoothness, texture and musical density.

Ken
    Thanks Ken. Good write up. I agree with your comments. The first Soulution amp I heard was the 710 and wasn't overly impressed. But ever since I first heard Jon's 501's, I was sold. The 711/701's just take these a step further. Great amps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! The 700 series is awesome.

Ken

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast