Static building on phono - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Static building on phono

Is the "static" you're hearing translated to actual static cling when you remove the record from the platter? The kind of static I assumed you have and hence the drain wire idea above could address static-cling. However, if you're not getting this kind of static, but simply static noise without the cling, then I would investigate the cartridge itself. Confirm its alignment and health and that it doesn't have a big blob of crap on it causing the noise.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the kind a static with minor crackling in the background from what I would perceive as a dirty record or a dirty needle. It's essentially distortion that grows and makes my speakers reverberate to the point I need to shut down the preamp, and it only happens with the turntable source. All other sources sound crystal-clear. I just want about ordering a new turntable and I'm returning the old one, it's the new Marantz tt42, maybe it's just a bad turntable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, what you described in your latest post sounds more like acoustic feedback than a static problem. Acoustic feedback usually results in a low frequency howling sound which grows in intensity forcing you to lower the volume. It generally only affects analog playback and is the result of bass energy from the speakers and room being fed back through the phono pickup which causes it to swell in intensity. If that is what you're experiencing it is usually addressed by better isolation of the turntable, and sometimes a wall mount table shelf works best.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the turntable in a salamander synergy unit on a turntable shelf, 6 feet from any of the speakers. The room is 20 x 20.

What I be correct in saying if I get the same distortion with headphones, then it's not because of feedback, but a turntable problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if you get the same distortion on headphones (with the speakers off) then the problem is not acoustic feedback. Since it's only with your analog source it has to be a turntable specific issue which could include the arm, cartridge, and/or a related grounding issue. Trying another sample of the same Marantz table will determine if you have a defective one, but if the problem persists you still won't know exactly what the root cause of the problem is. Have you tried running the table without the ground wire attached to your outdoor ground spike? Some setups may perform better without the ground wire connected, which is a floating ground. Not sure about that with your house wiring though. This type of issue can be very frustrating, I feel your pain!

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, I suggest rechecking cartridge connections. Also, if available, try a different cartridge to compare. Another thought, is the bearing lubricated? Everyone else already suggested the main possibilities. Good luck!
    Regards,
    Steve

I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to Marantz TT 42 without the preamplifier installed, should have it next week. I'll connect back to the phono input of my Sunfire, but I'll swap cartridges when the other one arrives and check bearings as best I can.

Thank you for all the input, I'm still thinking it's the knob and tube electrical that's causing problems, but I'll take all your advice and give you guys an update next week. Thank you again for all the input and suggestions, along with the education!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondered if you grounded your TT, amp and anything else you use to the ground bar outside?

Post Thanks / Like

Ho boy, I just noticed it's almost 3 years since your last note. Hope you got it fixed by now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2