Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Re: WTB EML or KR Audio tubes

Quote Originally Posted by khonfused View Post
    Hi Ked,

what does the rest of the system consists of?

I think at this point it's important to consider system synergy as you've done this comparison with horn speakers.
    I mentioned it in follow up posts. They are the horns fp-15. See links in above posts for reviews.

They are wave guide, boxed horns, a bit like audio note AN-E looks. Lampi GM 70 amps. Expensive verictum cabling and Gigawatt filter. All polish, actually, except for the tubes

What was the source? audio pc, streamer, cd-player?

One month ago I wanted to get the 242 really bad, now I want to get the px4.
    Maybe I wait another month....

Kris,

See the FB link I posted. I think they used a Lampi SB Transport...

Greg did a very extensive write up on FB.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by khonfused View Post
    What was the source? audio pc, streamer, cd-player?

One month ago I wanted to get the 242 really bad, now I want to get the px4.
    Maybe I wait another month....
    I think 242 seldom works in a GG. Big 7, it is superb. Yes we did PCM streamed through an old Lampi Transport

Can someone explain in which tube the internals 'do not touch the glass'? Lukasz says the 101d's and the Lampi Anniversary tubes fall into that category. I was wondering if any of the other KR output tubes have that distinction?

AFAIK, only the EML anniversary globe 45 solid plate and the EML Lampi Mesh anniversary 45 globe fit that description. Never heard the 101d described that way...
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I think today I heard the special Lampi 45s, the px4, the px25, Elrog 300b, original WE 101d, original WE 104 in another system. Will write a report tomorrow in case anyone's interested

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    I think today I heard the special Lampi 45s, the px4, the px25, Elrog 300b, original WE 101d, original WE 104 in another system. Will write a report tomorrow in case anyone's interested
    VERY interested!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    VERY interested!!!!

Lol

Audioshark

My money is on PX4's!!!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My money is on PX4's!!!

Maybe you can run a spread bet till tomorrow

The choice between PX4/25 is clearly a gain play. The PX4s seem to be the best and safest choice for those who are buying blind. They do everything. Great for rock, classical, vocals, cello. They place the choir back behind the speakers wide across the room like it should be. Greg's DIY horns and Yamamoto are very high gain. The PX25 initially had a superb grip on the piano and the cello in Beethoven's cello sonata. On other tracks we were getting too much hardness so Greg reduced his preamp gain by inserting tubes 3db lower. Then the difference between PX25 and the PX4 dropped. So, in other words, please don't read here for advice on whether to buy 4 or 25. If you can't hear both, buy 4.

The Special EML Lampi Globe anniversary 45 did some things better...but only if you were critically listening, and had to write a review, and pick one of the two. Otherwise, they are so close, if you have one and don't want to spend on the other, don't. You are not losing out on any quality or drastic presentation differences that might suit your preferences. The 45 did highlight some of the individual instruments in large orchestral passages better.

In Greg's system the EML mesh 5u4g recti worked the best with all these tubes. It gave a slight air, and timing pause, while the special KR 5u4g sounded too aggressive and rushed. But then in some systems, the EML sounds too laid back. I would still take the KR as the safer bet and if it sounds too rushed, switch to EML. EML has more air.

The Elrogs do their own 300b magic but I don't seem to be a 300b fan. None has worked on me. I think if one has to spend on one output tube, it should be the PX4 or the special 45 depending on your budget and the 45 availability. Greg is in agreement like with last fortnight's rolling group. Bill's system will be worth confirming this in as it is a very different system - SS, big cone speakers.

The 101d and 104 were not used in months and were taken out cold. Both have a warm, embracing feel, but more laid back and less dynamic than the modern valves. The 104 is more dynamic than the 101. What they had over the modern ones was a pause and time interval in the music, making the modern ones appear more rushed. They had a more traditional tubey sound.

Audioshark

WTB EML or KR Audio tubes

The choice between PX4/25 is clearly a gain play. The PX4s seem to be the best and safest choice for those who are buying blind. They do everything. Great for rock, classical, vocals, cello. They place the choir back behind the speakers wide across the room like it should be. Greg's DIY horns and Yamamoto are very high gain. The PX25 initially had a superb grip on the piano and the cello in Beethoven's cello sonata. On other tracks we were getting too much hardness so Greg reduced his preamp gain by inserting tubes 3db lower. Then the difference between PX25 and the PX4 dropped. So, in other words, please don't read here for advice on whether to buy 4 or 25. If you can't hear both, buy 4.

The Special EML Lampi Globe anniversary 45 did some things better...but only if you were critically listening, and had to write a review, and pick one of the two. Otherwise, they are so close, if you have one and don't want to spend on the other, don't. You are not losing out on any quality or drastic presentation differences that might suit your preferences. The 45 did highlight some of the individual instruments in large orchestral passages better.

In Greg's system the EML mesh 5u4g recti worked the best with all these tubes. It gave a slight air, and timing pause, while the special KR 5u4g sounded too aggressive and rushed. But then in some systems, the EML sounds too laid back. I would still take the KR as the safer bet and if it sounds too rushed, switch to EML. EML has more air.

The Elrogs do their own 300b magic but I don't seem to be a 300b fan. None has worked on me. I think if one has to spend on one output tube, it should be the PX4 or the special 45 depending on your budget and the 45 availability. Greg is in agreement like with last fortnight's rolling group. Bill's system will be worth confirming this in as it is a very different system - SS, big cone speakers.

The 101d and 104 were not used in months and were taken out cold. Both have a warm, embracing feel, but more laid back and less dynamic than the modern valves. The 104 is more dynamic than the 101. What they had over the modern ones was a pause and time interval in the music, making the modern ones appear more rushed. They had a more traditional tubey sound.
    Thanks for the write up. The PX4 seems to be the best all around choice, would you agree?

I've got a bunch of PX4's on order for customers (and a couple for myself).

Selling my Elrog 300b pair for 700 Euro, which is what I bought it for, if anyone wants to buy. Postage additional. Hardly used except to test (I don't have speakers right now anyway). Bought it off Khonfused who hardly played it either, and it still has warranty till Dec. Barely 100 hours, I guess, and playing fine. Selling because I just received my special Lampi 45s, and already have a PX4 on order, also have a 242. Best 300bs I have heard, better than KR 300b. I haven't heard the original WEs so let's leave those out

So we heard at Bill's, with SS analog domain integrated and focal Maestro utopias, a different set up from the high efficiency horn loaded SET set ups we had compared the valves on.

The px25 and px4 were nearly equal, with px25 having a bit larger soundstage and leading edge that when compared gave the px25 the edge, but without comparison would have kept anyone happy.

The special Lampi 45s were tonally the best and my choice for most music except that they had less details on tuttis compared to the others. The PXs are also superb on cellos, but the 45 really stand out on all other instruments. These were brand new and not broken in

The baritone vocal was the best on the 45, while Sullaria was better on the px25.

101d replicas were still the most dynamic and cleanest, but tonally the least equal. The others also had a deeper soundstage, but on piano and solo, the notes really slammed and leapt out with the 101ds.

Both of us found that both 300bs, KR and Elrog, were not to our tastes. These are excellent 300 bs however.

All compares were done with KR 5u4g which turned out to be the best all round recti, with KR 274b giving the bit more required edge on special 45s. The EML was relatively too laid back and slow, though on other systems it did give a bit of air due to the mesh plate.

Oh yes, and like an idiot, I forgot to take the 242, but both of us are quite sure if it doesn't distort or sound too hard, it will win easily. I will post it to Bill next week.

Hi Ked

Did you manage to send your KR 242 to Bill in the meantime?
    Would be curious to hear about the differences between the KR 242 and the EML Lampi 45 mesh anniversary tubes and the PX4...

I keep forgetting. But if they don't distort, they will be better

The only way to find out is to actually stick them in and try, then?

What a fascinating thread for the tube roller. I am interested in any impressions of the Tak recti with the PX4s. Has anyone tried this combo in a Golden Gate? Also, any more impressions of the PX25 vs the PX4? I'm trying to determine what to go for as a starter set for a GG.

PX25 had almost always been better than both PX4 and RK PX4 except in very rare cases where the gain has been too much for the PX25

PX25 had almost always been better than both PX4 and RK PX4 except in very rare cases where the gain has been too much for the PX25
    Agreed! Full stop!
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Really? Has anyone here heard the RK PX4?
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Really? Has anyone here heard the RK PX4?
    Yes, both Greg and I liked it, better than regular PX4, but we preferred PX25

Excellent. That was not clear before.
    NORMAN

New kid on the block

Attached Images Attached Images

Selling my KR PX4 and KR 300B RK (Less than 1 month old). Please PM me if interested.

Adam, are you in EU or USA?
    Aurender W20->Lampizator Pacific SE/Audio Aero La Fontaine->Ayon Crossfire III or Circle Labs A100-> Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26, 4x REL Carbon Special Subwoofers
    Analog : Fat Bob S with SME 5, Shelter Harmony, Tom Evans Groove+ SRX mk2, Muarah PSC with InteliClamp
    cabling: Duelund DCA 16GA, Acrolink, Vovox, Siltech, Transparent, Audio Phase , NxLT The Flame, FTA Callisto and Sinope usb, Fadel Art , Argentum , REL Bassline Blue

HT : Sony HW 50 ES, Oppo 93 EU, Darbee DVP-5000 ,Yamaha Aventage RX-A 3010 , B&W 9.1, screen 120 inches matt white

Marslo, he is in the US.
    NORMAN

Marslo, he is in the US.
    Thank you Norman, not for me then
    Aurender W20->Lampizator Pacific SE/Audio Aero La Fontaine->Ayon Crossfire III or Circle Labs A100-> Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26, 4x REL Carbon Special Subwoofers
    Analog : Fat Bob S with SME 5, Shelter Harmony, Tom Evans Groove+ SRX mk2, Muarah PSC with InteliClamp
    cabling: Duelund DCA 16GA, Acrolink, Vovox, Siltech, Transparent, Audio Phase , NxLT The Flame, FTA Callisto and Sinope usb, Fadel Art , Argentum , REL Bassline Blue

HT : Sony HW 50 ES, Oppo 93 EU, Darbee DVP-5000 ,Yamaha Aventage RX-A 3010 , B&W 9.1, screen 120 inches matt white

What were you looking for? 300b or px4?
    NORMAN

Rather PX4 as I cannot get PX 25 from best300b.

Lukasz does not have more PX25? There are rumours of a RK PX25 later this year!

remind me again which tubes you already have, please.
    NORMAN

Lukasz does not have more PX25? There are rumours of a RK PX25 later this year!

remind me again which tubes you already have, please.
    We killed the stock of PX25s Norm :-)

Heheh!
    NORMAN

Hi fellas. I'm in the US. Minneapolis, to be precise.

Hi Gents.
    I have a nice combo up for sale.Kr 5u4g lampizator anniversary edition and a pair of Kr 242's
    Make me an offer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyone have a pair of KR PX25 RK they're looking to unload? Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by adamaley View Post
    Anyone have a pair of KR PX25 RK they're looking to unload? Please let me know.
    I would assume to early for that as they just introduced them in RK version..but hope you’ll get them..

They are not available on best300b.com. Not even listed, however, a buddy purchased a pair from there a month or so ago. Just hoping it isn't working out in someone's system and they'd like to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by adamaley View Post
    They are not available on best300b.com. Not even listed, however, a buddy purchased a pair from there a month or so ago. Just hoping it isn't working out in someone's system and they'd like to move it.
    I also didn’t see them there but i know Chris got them with his Pacific...

My friend had sent in his newly purchased, used, GG for updates and got them directly from Lukasz. It seems they are only available directly from Lampi for now.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

WTB EML or KR Audio tubes