Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Nagra ClassicPre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Nagra ClassicPre

Simply gorgeous

I can't wait to demo this in my system !
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Amp: Nagra HD Preamp & Amps
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus & Opus Gen 5 Speaker
    Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks:
    Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

From René Laflamme, Nagra Distributor:
    Munich 2016

New NAGRA prototype tube preamplifier, design to be the perfect match for the ClassicAmp. This New full tube preamplifier is the best NAGRA preamplifier ever made.

We will play the prototype of the CLASSIC PREAMP and a whole CLASSIC set-up in the NAGRA room E217, we will have a very special time with some Analog and digital masters.

I wonder what NAGRA has up their sleeve to match with the HD Amps?

Quote Originally Posted by KINGSRULE View Post
    I wonder what NAGRA has up their sleeve to match with the HD Amps?
    I agree...very curious here if a HD Preamp and a HD Phono will emerge one day.
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks:

Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    I agree...very curious here if a HD Preamp and a HD Phono will emerge one day.
    I would guess that is the plan. Here's hoping
    Also wondering if they have any plans to update/replace the vpa tube amps with an HD 845 based mono set.

Instead of silk-screening, they should laser etch, and fill with black epoxy. it would look way better. Like a Leica camera:

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mivera Audio View Post
    Instead of silk-screening, they should laser etch, and fill with black epoxy. it would look way better. Like a Leica camera:
    You should be in charge of their product development and help them become successful.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    You should be in charge of their product development and help them become successful.
    No doubt. I'm a stickler for detail

Hi Mike,

Have you tested the Nagra Seven yet? I love how the company is keeping with the times. How long has it been since they ditched making R2R units?

http://www.nagraaudio.com/new-nagra-seven-software/

Hi Mike,

Have you tested the Nagra Seven yet? I love how the company is keeping with the times. How long has it been since they ditched making R2R units?

http://www.nagraaudio.com/new-nagra-seven-software/
    Guess you're not keeping up with the times. Word on the street is that Nagra is coming out with a new R2R deck.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Guess you not keeping up with the times. Word on the street is that Nagra is coming out with a new R2R deck.
    I guess they see there's a recent resurgence. Will it be digital tape?

I hope not! Nagra silk screening has been used for decades in their portable reel to reel recorders that were carried by journalists and professionals in the worst possible conditions. We sometimes see these old battered equipment being sold with very poor aspect, but most of the time with perfect silk screening!

I have owned Nagra and IMHO the rugged silk screening is part of their essence.

I guess they see there's a recent resurgence. Will it be digital tape?
    Uh, no.

Nagra ClassicPre

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I hope not! Nagra silk screening has been used for decades in their portable reel to reel recorders that were carried by journalists and professionals in the worst possible conditions. We sometimes see these old battered equipment being sold with very poor aspect, but most of the time with perfect silk screening!

I have owned Nagra and IMHO the rugged silk screening is part of their essence.
    It may be good quality silk-screening, but engraved/etched and filled is still nicer and better. You don't see any Swiss watches with silk screening on them. It's just a small detail that would take things up a notch.

Uh, no.
    Too bad. Then we would have the best of both worlds. The top notch digital sound quality Nagra has perfected over decades, and the cool nostalgic mechanical moving parts that are nice to look at, and a great conversation piece.

well, the classic pre is available by now!!
    anyone have listened it? or is planning to buy one?

My dealer has one on order...I plan on hearing it in my system soon. He's also getting a set of HD amps to demo ....
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

nice!!
    do you know why the classic pre has a powercord input (220v/110v)? next to the 11v input i mean

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    nice!!
    do you know why the classic pre has a powercord input (220v/110v)? next to the 11v input i mean
    Yes you can use the Classic standalone with a power cord or one of the 4 MPS outputs for a upgrade.
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

thx.
    i still wonder why they made an internal ps

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    thx.
    i still wonder why they made an internal ps
    I'm only guessing, but it's because they had more room with the large chassis...
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

yeah could be the reason.
    or nagra is convinced that it get bought also from people who do not own any other nagra

I have the Nagra Classic Preamp (with balancing input/output transformers and VFS-L options) in my home for the weekend. Been here about 2.5 hours now. It's pretty sweet...definitely a different character then my Koda K10 (which I LOVE). Will post more over the weekend...
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

I liked the sound of the jazz with the mains power supply

You have a fantastic System. I'm enjoying the Classic Preamp with the Classic Amp very much. Don't hesitate go for it!!!
    CARLOS

EMM Labs TSDX CD/SACD Transport + DAC2X V2. DAC
    Oracle Delphi MKVI Gen2 + SME Series V & ZYX UNIverse Premium
    Kronos Pro Limited Edition + SME Series V12 & ZYX UNIverse Premium
    Nagra VPS Phono Stage + VFS + MPS
    Absolare Altius Stereo Preamp
    Absolare Altius Push-Pull Mono Amps
    Echole Limited Edition and Omnia Cables
    Torus AVR20 Power Conditioner
    Stabilian Decoupling Feet
    Speakers: Raidho D3 V2 & Raidho D1.1 Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    You have a fantastic System. I'm enjoying the Classic Preamp with the Classic Amp very much. Don't hesitate go for it!!!
    Nagra Classic Stereo or Absolare to drive the Raidho D3s?
    Tim

Playback Designs mps-5, Nagra Classic Pre, Nagra Classic Amp, YG Carmel 2s, Signal: TaraLabs Muse, Power: Ansuz D & C, Mainz-8D, SRA Craz3 Rack.

Audioshark

Nagra ClassicPre

Quote Originally Posted by 4music View Post
    Nagra Classic Stereo or Absolare to drive the Raidho D3s?
    Tim, I just don't see it. Aavik, Soulution, VAC, etc. yes.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Tim, I just don't see it. Aavik, Soulution, VAC, etc. yes.
    Carlos seems to have both these amps and the Raidho D3, thus my question.
    Tim

Playback Designs mps-5, Nagra Classic Pre, Nagra Classic Amp, YG Carmel 2s, Signal: TaraLabs Muse, Power: Ansuz D & C, Mainz-8D, SRA Craz3 Rack.

This weekend, I'll get to hear the Classic Preamp again at home...but this time wth the Nagra HD amps vs my Classic stereo amp...
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

This weekend, I'll get to hear the Classic Preamp again at home...but this time wth the Nagra HD amps vs my Classic stereo amp...
    WOW! Good for you. It would be awesome if you could provide as much feedback as possible especially in terms of timbres, microdynamics, transparency towards the back of the soundstage and PRaT. Have a great time.

Wow! You get to demo the hd amps at home. Super! Will be interested to hear your thoughts after listening for the weekend.

Not a very good pic...just quick with the iPhone. Smokes. These are amps. I have NEVER heard my system this way. And this is after ~hour listening. The amps are cold (to the touch) from shipping still...was about 45 here today. I am sure they've been deep frozen coming from CES in Vegas. I let them acclimate to room temp for about 2 hours before I plugged them in.

I have the Classic Preamp too again...but thought I'd just try the amps as the only change.

These HD amps are amazing. They are sitting on books vs my beloved Grand Prix Audio stands...so I know they are at a disadvantage...but these HD amps are seemingly that good at first listen.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

Great. Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to further impressions. If possible, perhaps some info on the tracks you are using for your trials would be helpful as long as it doesn't become a hassle for you. Are you using stock PCs? Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Wow! You get to demo the hd amps at home. Super! Will be interested to hear your thoughts after listening for the weekend.

I listend to my Classic Amp yesterday before installing the HD amps. I kept thinking. It sounds simply great. Why go fool around with something good. It was a total pain, the HD Amps are ~125 lbs each. No handles. Had to move all my cables around. I know whine whine whine

These amps are just stunning - the resolution, energy, separation, textures amaze me at every note that's played. Studio recordings sound more like they are here in my room. Live recordings it seems like I am transported there sensing the venue. Sometimes I am close or far...depending how the recording was done. I've never noticed this to such a degree. Sure you could tell if it was a studio, church, big hall...but now the clarity at which you notice is striking.

I've had them on now playing for ~14 hours. I suspect they are warmed up and cables are settled. The amps are mostly cool to the touch...just a little heat from the back..appears to be a very slow running fan in the upper rear drawing air in from the bottom and out the rear panel.
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Great. Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to further impressions. If possible, perhaps some info on the tracks you are using for your trials would be helpful as long as it doesn't become a hassle for you. Are you using stock PCs? Enjoy!
    I'm using Transparent Opus (c19 20 amp) power cords. Which match the rest of my system and what I had on the Classic (a 15 amp version).

Right now listening to Sibelius Piano Trio. Yarlung label. In DXD. https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com...no-trio-vol-ii
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

I'm using Transparent Opus (c19 20 amp) power cords. Which match the rest of my system and what I had on the Classic (a 15 amp version).

Right now listening to Sibelius Piano Trio. Yarlung label. In DXD. https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com...no-trio-vol-ii
    Many thanks for the feedback. Happy listening

So John, did you end up keeping the amps ?

Still have them, have not made a final decision. I will say these HD amps are amongst the most profound changes to my system I've heard. Everything just sounds real. I can go into details about what I mean by real...just imagine you hear a instrument live...then you hear it in your system...those qualities you hear live are now in your listening room...
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

No fan in the HD amps Its all convection cooling, they actually are pretty warm down by the heatsink

I bought em. Honestly, this is the biggest improvement to my system in years. Every recording I listening to i hear things, i gain insights into the music I never heard before. This am I was listening to Mahler, Sym #1 Titan on Reference Recordings. Smokes.

I loved my Classic Amp. This is like going from a Toyota to a Porsche. It's a step change in performance. In every single possible area.

PS, I still have the HD amps sitting on the floor, on 4 cardas wood blocks per amp. I do have a 2nd Grand Prix SilverStone amp stand on the way...I suspect this will another performance gain...
    Last edited by jfrech; February 11, 2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added a ps
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

Wow! Congrats John. Really beautiful amps. Can only imagine how they sound in your system.
    Chris

May be this is a stupid question:

I am going to get a NAGRA HD DAC, and I only have digital sources (no vinyl), so I wonder what is the advantage to use a Clasic Pre between a HD DAC and a power amp like the HD AMP (in case we use only digital source, no analog) ?

Indeed, the HD DAC has volume control and therefore can be connected directly to the HD AMP !

Will the system sound better with a HD Pré added in the chain ?
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

Super Moderator

I always prefer a preamp in my system. While a DAC direct seems at first to be a revelation, I quickly tire of the perceived extra detail and resolution. A preamp adds musicality, in my opinion. It smooths out the rough edges and adds a little bloom and air, which I love.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I understand the volume control in the HD DAC is not as good as the Classic or HD Preamp. Like Joe said, a high end preamp always makes the music more musical and easy to listen to.

As I have been lead to beleive the HD dac volume control is active with the RCA output. If you have the optional output transformers for the balanced xlr output and use the xlr it will bypass the volume control.

That said a dedicated preamp usually has an optimized power supply for driving the input of amplifiers. Dacs usually have a multi function power supply for digital and analog sections.

i run the hd dac direct and it sounds very good!
    that said, my dealer said with the jazz it sounds a touch better.....so with the classic pre it should sound 2 touches better and with the hd pre maybe 3.
    if i had the cash i would add a pre

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Nagra ClassicPre