Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: New Chinook SE

New Chinook SE

Well, my newly purchase in Dec 2015 Chinook SE has developed a bad hum. Happened overnight. I switched out tubes, hum still present. Switched ICs, still there. Moved to another audio setup, hum still there. After being on 30 mins the hum lessened but then a scratchy/crackly sound was present. Back to Manley Labs for service - waiting to hear back from them on what to do. Unit has less than 20 hrs on it. Anyone else have issues like this with their Chinook?

Re: New Chinook SE

Quote Originally Posted by miner42 View Post
    Well, my newly purchase in Dec 2015 Chinook SE has developed a bad hum. Happened overnight. I switched out tubes, hum still present. Switched ICs, still there. Moved to another audio setup, hum still there. After being on 30 mins the hum lessened but then a scratchy/crackly sound was present. Back to Manley Labs for service - waiting to hear back from them on what to do. Unit has less than 20 hrs on it. Anyone else have issues like this with their Chinook?
    I don't have the SE which is Upscales Audio's version, (which is different tubes and faceplate color) its the Manley version and I don't have any hum. Mine is dead quiet.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Yes, SE is UA version. Funny thing is when I ordered the SE version a standard Manley Chinook was sent. I called Kevin D. and he checked the serial # and it should have been the SE version. Long story short, he sent me the Philips PCC88 tubes since I did not want to sent unit back for a black face plate. Mine had been dead quiet up until yesterday. And, I always keep my equipment unplugged unless I am listening so I know it is not because of a surge or power issue. All equipment is plugged into a PS Audio P5 power generator. I think I covered all troubleshooting steps to narrow down to unit problem.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

I've had some weird things happen with my Chinook.
    When I first got it, it had a hum. 3 days later it was gone.

Had to send it in for service one time for something else, I got it back and it hummed for 3-4 days again. Then dead quiet.

I move to Georgia and set up my system in my new home, humming again for 3-4 days.
    It's been dead quiet ever since.

I also have the tubes that are in the SE version, it was quite the upgrade!!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

My hum is really loud. No way I can listen to music and be content waiting for it to go away. I have spoke to Manley and they want me to send back for their diagnosis.

MDP - do you remember what was serviced on your Chinook and di it take long?

I think their repair guy is in Arizona. I think mine took a couple of weeks because he was on vacation and I had to send mine to Chino.

Feel free to call them and ask, they're super nice.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Just got a call from Manley and they diagnosed my problem. 1) Noisy tubes - my cryoed tubes ended up not being so quiet; they will replace with much quieter Philips PCC88s (which is what the SE version came with) 2) replacing some capacitors on both channels 3) will give me a black SE faceplate. My FedEx notice says they got the unit yesterday and are already working on it. Should ship out next Monday. Great turnaround Manley and top notch CS. Thank you.

Just got a call from Manley and they diagnosed my problem. 1) Noisy tubes - my cryoed tubes ended up not being so quiet; they will replace with much quieter Philips PCC88s (which is what the SE version came with) 2) replacing some capacitors on both channels 3) will give me a black SE faceplate. My FedEx notice says they got the unit yesterday and are already working on it. Should ship out next Monday. Great turnaround Manley and top notch CS. Thank you.
    That's great!

I love my Chinook. I'm glad they got it figured out.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Awesome, just great service.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Well, Monday shipping was a pipedream. No word from Manley on final diagnosis. I called the service guy in AZ and he said most repair items have a 10 - 15 day wait time so the CA repair guy gave me a 'fake' date to get me to back off. When I called on Monday for an update I was told he was on Vacation and the AZ repair guy gave me the scoop on repair time.

Any updates?
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Supposedly shipped on Friday. They replace a PCB and capacitors plus updated the software.

Awesome, let us know how it sounds.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Kevin.......My motto is, if there's no tracking number, it didn't ship. I hope it's not more of a service guy telling you what he thinks you want to hear. The accolades you posted days ago now seem premature at best considering you discovered the vacationing tech lied to you. I hate that kind of crap. Tell me the truth no matter what it is. I do hope the Chinook is on its way back to you.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Well, I just called Manley, and it should be delivered today. When I asked why I was not sent a tracking number I was met with silence on the end. Yep, Dan, for once I was premature....

Well, my dealer, Kevin Deal (Upscale Audio), got wind of my Chinook SE issues and immediately issued a call to Manley to have them ship me a new unit. Unit arrived yesterday (2 Day FedEx). On top of that Kevin is sending me four Philips cryoed PCC88 tubes as a "I'm sorry you had to send the unit back and pay for shipping". A very nice, yet not required, ante towards my misfortunes. Thank you Kevin for the great service.

Well, my dealer, Kevin Deal (Upscale Audio), got wind of my Chinook SE issues and immediately issued a call to Manley to have them ship me a new unit. Unit arrived yesterday (2 Day FedEx). On top of that Kevin is sending me four Philips cryoed PCC88 tubes as a "I'm sorry you had to send the unit back and pay for shipping". A very nice, yet not required, ante towards my misfortunes. Thank you Kevin for the great service.
    I have those tubes in my Chinook, you will be very happy!!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New Chinook SE