Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Heading to the top Beer Town in the morning - Portland Maine

To celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, we are driving up to Portland ME for a week of Lobster and Beer. Portland has almost 30 Breweries / Brew Pubs as well as several other Beer Bars and a few Distilleries. They are also home to the only Fermentation Farm in the US producing Mead, Ciders, and Kombucha. Also, the only other Cabbott Cheese Annex outside of Vermont is 5 blocks away.

Our Hotel is right at the old Port and next door to Shipyard Brewing. We will try and hit as many tastings as we can during the week. We will go to Kennybunkport for dinner on the Anniversary day, May 3rd. Also traveling up to the big LL Bean store for shopping.

Right now the weather looks iffy for the week and it will only be highs in low 50s, but thats better than too hot trying to enjoy strong beers.

Cheers, I will report back about the beers as best as I will remember
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Re: Heading to the top Beer Town in the morning - Portland Maine

Brian...enjoy it. My girlfriend's sister and her family live in Portland, ME and we visit her often (a little under 2hrs from Boston) and I must say Portland has a great foodie scene. Kennebunkport is very cool. Are you guys going to do the Anniversary dinner at the White Barn Inn restaurant there?
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Thanks Cyril. We have reservations at Stripers Waterside and plan to get the Lobster specials they have.
    There are so many good places like Duckfat, Eventide and so on that we are overwhelmed and overweight just thinking about it.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

So many good places to eat there. Last time there, my wife & I rented a condo for a week and still had to skip many restaurants we wanted to try.
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

My wife and I did a Backroads bike trip in Maine a few years ago. We flew to Portland but we couldn't seem to find the shuttle to our hotel. It turned out that my wife booked us a room in Portland Oregon.
    Bruce in PA

This place is overwhelming. What a great town. Everyone has been super friendly and nice. It pays to tell people what you are celebrating and they all give you special gifts.

There are way too many good places to eat and drink. Allagash was super, and we had a blast at Liquid Riot. They are both a Distillery and a Brewery. Also the best beer bar might be Novare Res Bier Cafe where starting yesterday the whole tap list turned Beligian.

And the Lobster Rolls.......the best is at Eventide even though it is small it is the most wonderful treat and different than the rest.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

"Heading to the top Beer Town in the morning - Portland Maine"

In the corn flakes?

Enjoy,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Brian...glad you and your wife are enjoying Portland. Great little town Heading to the top Beer Town in the morning - Portland Maine
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

We hit Fore Street last night for our anniversary dinner. First time we had full Farm to Table meals. They have an open kitchen and everything is cooked in a wood fire.

We also did the tour at Allegash yesterday, quite a good one too with samples along the way.

In a few minutes, we are heading to the Urban Fermentation farm to sample and bring home some Kubucha, Ciders and Mead. Going back to Liquid Riot again tonight to sample the rest of the Whiskeys we missed the first round. Also for their beer, they do Crowlers, which are 32oz cans they cap right after pouring from the tap.

Cheers!
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

So the trip is over but the memories will remain along with all the pictures. We had a blast, taking a tour or tasting every afternoon, then back out for dinner and the Bar Scene each evening. My favorite Brewery was Liquid Riot which was also a Distillery. We sampled everything they made. I brought home a bottle of Old Port Rye Whiskey and a couple 32oz Crowlers. Cool machine that seals the tops on the cans after getting filled right from the tap. They also had some of the most scrumptious appetizers and small plates.

We went to Allegash twice, once for the normal Tasting where they give you over a pint of strong Belgian style brews, and on our anniversary day we went back for the tour, where they keep it flowing thru the tour and you end up drinking in the Barrel Room.

Other highlights were the Urban Farm Fermentory where they made Kombucha, Mead and Ciders. We brought back all three. The Main Mead Works was also good with several styles of Mead. We brought back a few of those also.

The best Beer Bar in the town is owned by the same people as Liquid Riot, and it was called Novare Res Bier Cafe. It was located back an old alley off of Exchange Street and is the basement of an old factory. One hell of a tap and bottle list and starting May 1st to the 20th changed all the taps to just good Belgian Ales.

We also visited Shipyard 2X as well as having them at our Hotel one night serving 4 different beers during one of the free Mixes that Marriott does at the Residence Hotels. Then on our last night, after the 3rd visit to Eventide for the best Lobster Rolls ever, we hit Three Dollar Deweys for their Smoked Seafood Chowder. We had no idea Shipyard was having a big 5th of May party with free beers of their latest release Island Time IPA. Shipyard was literally 20 feet from our Hotel.

We just could not hit every place we would have liked to, there are so many breweries, distilleries, Mead producers to do everything. We did cover a lot of ground as we booked the trip over a year ago and planned just about every day ahead of time.

For anyone that is a Beer Lover or Foodie, Portland ME is a place that needs to be on your Bucket List.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

I like this thread. So many beers to try, so little time...

Glad you had a good trip Brian.

That was funny about the hotel reservations being made in Portland, Oregon. We're actually going there next month and will see what the beer and wine scene is on the other coast...

Cheers!
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

Lots has changed in Portland since I left Maine in 1990 after living there for 12 years. Maine has always had great food and one of their sinful pleasures is the batter they fry their fish and onion rings in. You simply don't get that batter outside of NE just as you don't get the great rolls that are used for cheese steak hoagies and Italian hoagies outside of Philadelphia and South Jersey. The Blu Cheese dressing in Maine is also off the charts good.

Maine humor-Q: What's the difference between a woman from Maine and a moose? A: About 200 lbs and a flannel shirt.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

My next weeding anniversary held in this year in September. I think I must go to the top beer town in the morning - Portland Maine.
    Thanks

I am very glad to know that you and your wife enjoy your wedding anniversary so much.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I just celebrated 33 years on the 3rd. That was our 30th trip and was awesome.

I was surprised to see this thread near the top again.

So many beers, not enough time
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Super Moderator

Ha!

You are indeed a lucky man. Time flies when you are having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I just celebrated 33 years on the 3rd. That was our 30th trip and was awesome.

I was surprised to see this thread near the top again.

So many beers, not enough time
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I must go to my next anniversary with my wife White Barn Inn restaurant.

Brian,

Glad to hear that you had a nice anniversary trip to Portland.

I always enjoy taking the short ferry ride out to Peaks Island when I’m there. Casco Bay is really beautiful.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

My wife always asks for going to a morning beer town. I don't know before that where it is? Just give a surprise to my wife, and it will be memorable for me.
    Thanks

Congrats on your 30th! My wife and I are about to celebrate our 35th and each year just gets better.

I have to beg to differ with you about the top beer town though. Yes it is in Portland, but it's the other Portland - Oregon with 52 breweries and they have more or them than any other city in the world.

Wow, this was a trip from the past. Someone replied to a 3 year old thread. We just celebrated 33 years on May 3rd.

Still too much beer, not enough time
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Wow is right!

I didn't even notice that this thread was 3 years old.

Correction: congrats on your 33rd wedding anniversary.

Portland Maine is one of the best morning beer town or have some other town?

Quote Originally Posted by Asamel View Post
    My wife and I did a Backroads bike trip in Maine a few years ago. We flew to Portland but we couldn't seem to find the shuttle to our hotel. It turned out that my wife booked us a room in Portland Oregon.
    Very funny...Hahhha! How many prices do we need if my wife and I want to stay there for a week?

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Brian...enjoy it. My girlfriend's sister and her family live in Portland, ME and we visit her often (a little under 2hrs from Boston) and I must say Portland has a great foodie scene. Kennebunkport is very cool. Are you guys going to do the Anniversary dinner at the White Barn Inn restaurant there?
    The White Barn Inn restaurant is located at the center of the Portland or outside if it is in the middle of the town so I must visit in next time.
    Thanks

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Heading to the top Beer Town in the morning - Portland Maine