Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: VAC Signature iQ200

Mike.......Such a beautiful room. I never get tired of see it.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    Mike.......Such a beautiful room. I never get tired of see it.

Yes, looking very awesome Mike!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Audioshark

VAC Signature iQ200

Vintage NOS GoldLion KT88's and 1950's NOS Raytheon 6SN7GTB's went in the VAC Signature 200iQ today.

I've had these amps for several months and they are still an absolute home run in my opinion. I would put them up against any KT based amp under $50k. And these are only $14k each. For the tube sound lover, these are absolutely sublime on the Magico's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike has certainly listened to way more amps with Magico speakers than I have, but the 200iQ's are the best I have heard with the Q3's. I've had the 200iQ's for about 2 months now, and it sound great. And that's with the stock tubes. I'm sure some NOS 6SN7s would take them up another notch--they did with the VAC Phi200's--but the 200iQ sounds so good with stock tubes that I haven't felt the need to start rolling. For me, that's a first!
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Soo... sounds neat.

Sonically, how do they compare to the Phi200?

Thank you

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by tes View Post
    Soo... sounds neat.

Sonically, how do they compare to the Phi200?

Thank you
    Far superior in every way. I owned the phi200's and frankly, something wasn't quite right with them. The Sig 200iQ's are on another level. Balanced. Musical. Incredibly defined bass. Organic. Smooth on top without losing definition.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Far superior in every way. I owned the phi200's and frankly, something wasn't quite right with them. The Sig 200iQ's are on another level. Balanced. Musical. Incredibly defined bass. Organic. Smooth on top without losing definition.

As good as the triodes that Joe just set-up in his place? None of that different flavour thing either!

Super Moderator

Triodes for the win! (but with less power)

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    As good as the triodes that Joe just set-up in his place? None of that different flavour thing either!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    I'm American now, so I'm pleading the 5th on this one. VAC Signature iQ200

you rat

Mike, using the VAC 200iQ as a benchmark, what are your impressions of the new Phi 170iQ?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Pallen View Post
    Mike, using the VAC 200iQ as a benchmark, what are your impressions of the new Phi 170iQ?
    Very close in performance, but I still prefer the more polished sound of the 200iq.

Very close in performance, but I still prefer the more polished sound of the 200iq.
    The 200iq mono's are terrific amps, even in stereo form! If I were contemplating tube or tube hybrid power, that amp would be at the top of the list, along with the wonderful Absolare Passion integrated.

I just became the proud owner of a mint condition, virtually new (not even fully broken in) 200iQ amplifier. I can only agree with what has been said before in this discussion, it's a simply superb amplifier. I extremely happy with the sound of my system with the 200iQ driving things. I'm wondering what results people have had rolling the quad of 6SN7's though. I would be extremely interesting to hear what you've experienced. Thanks.

JC

Congratulations JC!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Super Moderator

Huge congratulations Jeff. Great news. I knew that of all your choices, this was the BEST option. Mike has never had a bad word and nothing but extremely high praise of the VAC 200IQ amp. Now you know what that means? I need to hear one now, ugh!

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    I just became the proud owner of a mint condition, virtually new (not even fully broken in) 200iQ amplifier. I can only agree with what has been said before in this discussion, it's a simply superb amplifier. I extremely happy with the sound of my system with the 200iQ driving things. I'm wondering what results people have had rolling the quad of 6SN7's though. I would be extremely interesting to hear what you've experienced. Thanks.

JC
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Congratulations. The 200iQ is a wonderful amp. Try a set of KT150's in that bad boy when you get a chance.

Discovered some comments on tuberolling KT88's, mainly, that might be informative.

JC

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=tubes&m=268984

Found a bit more about general, current 6SN7 recommendations from less than a year ago. The consensus is that spending $500.00 or more on famous NOS tubes no longer makes sense. However, they also generally agree that the Psvane CV181 TII Treasure tubes (grey glass bronze base) is a safer, very high quality recommendation, but a quad of those will run $580.00! For that money, a quad of some of the most highly sought after NOS tubes can be had from the right sources!

https://www.audioaficionado.org/arch...4170-p-12.html

JC

Congratulations! I love my 200iQ. I've been rolling 6DJ8s in my Master preamp, and the 200iQ faithfully reports every change. It's truly high-resolution. (Would probably be much better respected if it cost more )

I've tried the Gold Lion and Psvane TII KT88s and prefer the stock Gold Lions. To my ears the Psvanes are a bit too thick and warm sounding. Not a HUGE difference, but noticeable. Haven't tried any NOS KT88s (although I think Mike has).

I tried several different 6SN7s as drivers in the 200iQ (although all were RCA) and preferred the grey glass and VT-231 types. Been wanting to try some of the other new production tubes (like the Psvane) but with the price being pretty similar to (or more than) NOS tubes and some question about long term reliability, I've stuck with the RCA. Please report if you do any 'rolling!

Dave
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Just survived a near heart attack while nearing the end of a three hour listening session. I was completely immersed in the performance of a lifetime favorite song on the new King Crimson "Live In Toronto" recording when the sound suddenly went out, followed almost instantly by was a bzzzzzzttttt sound. Next thing you know, I was staring at a red led light on the front of the 200iQ. The far left KT88 tube crapped out, per the manual.

Thank god for the Continuous Automatic Bias System, as a tube completely failing like that in a standard design amplifier could have resulted in any number of issues. Having been in tubes a long time, you realize such a thing is always possible, but I was a bit more shocked than usual, given that this particular amplifier has only a bit more than about 200 hours on it. The amp was recently transported about 5 hours, by car, but I did verify complete seating of all tubes before turning on the amp the first time. And given that all was fine for the 15 hours or so since then, while in use,I doubt that could have had any impact. It simply appears that one of the Gold Lions just blew.

Oh well, looks like I need to do some checking as to which supplier is closest to me, get a replacement ordered, and pay for expedited shipping.

JC

Dth31,

Thanks for the info on your experiences with the Psvane TII's, and the 6SN7 tube rolling. Those RCA grey glass VT-231's are, from what I've read, considered amongst the very best 6SN7's ever made. I've targeted getting some of those myself, but have yet to find a source that has them in stock in a matched quad, much less at even a semi-reasonable price.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by Dth31 View Post
    Congratulations! I love my 200iQ. I've been rolling 6DJ8s in my Master preamp, and the 200iQ faithfully reports every change. It's truly high-resolution. (Would probably be much better respected if it cost more )

I've tried the Gold Lion and Psvane TII KT88s and prefer the stock Gold Lions. To my ears the Psvanes are a bit too thick and warm sounding. Not a HUGE difference, but noticeable. Haven't tried any NOS KT88s (although I think Mike has).

I tried several different 6SN7s as drivers in the 200iQ (although all were RCA) and preferred the grey glass and VT-231 types. Been wanting to try some of the other new production tubes (like the Psvane) but with the price being pretty similar to (or more than) NOS tubes and some question about long term reliability, I've stuck with the RCA. Please report if you do any 'rolling!

Dave

Super Moderator

Jeff,

I am glad no damage was done. That's why I love the auto bias and built-in protection circuits. It only takes one tube like that to go south to make you realize the value in that circuit. I'm glad all is well otherwise. No one can predict a tube failure and I am glad you weren't playing a "regular" amp. Phew!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Glad you had no damage! I had the same thing happen to one of the Gold Lion KT88s in my previous Phi200. That is 1 thing I liked better about the Phi200: the tubes were in the front so you could see when the getter was just about gone. In the 200iQ the tubes are in the back and you can't see (and check on) them. Of course, it was a bit scarier watching the tube redlining and wondering if the amp was going to be OK! (Luckily just took out the fuse.)

Dave

Opened up the rear amplifier cover today, and pulled out the tube that died. I've seen quite a few tubes that had various mishaps over the years, but this one shocked me. I couldn't even see any physical evidence of trauma. Usually, the evidence is pretty graphic, but not in this case. Granted, I'm not an expert, but you don't generally have to be to note the indications of serious tube failure. At this point, I'm chalking it up to the Sentry system in these amps having caught the failure so early that it literally shut things down before the tube could fail in any catastrophic/visible way?

JC

New tube received in the mail, installed, and all is well. This amp is only halfway broken in and already I'm extremely happy with it. Looks like my longtime, keeper amp!

JC

Audioshark

New tube received in the mail, installed, and all is well. This amp is only halfway broken in and already I'm extremely happy with it. Looks like my longtime, keeper amp!

JC
    Congrats! The 200iQ Sigs are sooooooo good! I've sold several pairs. One listen is all it takes.

Super Moderator

Any thoughts on the sound characteristic of the 200IQ amp (on its own or maybe as compared to others you may have had) ?

JC

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Any thoughts on the sound characteristic of the 200IQ amp (on its own or maybe as compared to others you may have had) ?
    I can only address that question in the context of the Master preamp. Both the preamp and the amp are "faster" and more propulsive than most other systems I have heard. For example, the Constellation Centaur II stereo amp that I am currently auditioning seems slower, warmer, thicker and opaque. They are also amazingly transparent and highly detailed. Instruments are consistently separated out of a mix and are easy to follow. More so than any other equipment I have owned, together they are a microscope on the rest of the system, especially the tubes used. Depending on the tube choices, the sound can easily be tailored to taste. But no matter what tubes you try, I don't think you would ever get them to sound syrupy or slow.

For people who like taut, tuneful bass, the 200 iQ delivers that in spades. I wouldn't say they are bass-light, but at least in my system, they will not give bass that slams you in the chest. I'm about ready to try running separate 200iQs on each speaker. My dealer says there's quite a bit more bass with a 2nd amp.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Joe,

As you know, I've gone through a few amps to get to this point. Forgetting about variations that began in my den, and beginning with what I've used in my "primary listening room" probably makes the most sense. In the primary room, I've had a First Watt F6, a Modwright KW100SE, an Art Audio Carissa Signature, the Red Wine Lilliana Monoblocks, the Wells Audio Innamorata, a brief visit by the fabled Line Magnetic 219IA integrated, and now the 200iQ.

The First Watt was a very good amp, one of the best solid state amplifiers, for the dollar, that I've ever heard, it was only sold due to a change in speakers that required more power. The Modwright was a really well made solid state amp that had such a wonderfully balanced overall sound. It hit all the right notes for solid state, and was sold only when I tried to move back into the SET world that I've always loved. The Art Audio was simply wonderful. It offered 16wpc, which, in the SET world is mega power. It also had the guts of a 50 wpc amp, with tremendous gain. This was a special version that Joe Fratus (incredibly great guy and brilliant designer) hand wired for me, and he also applied a number of tweaks they learned in making their $30k monoblocks to it. This is the finest Carissa amp he ever made, and I hoped to grow old listening to it. . The midrange was so rich and liquid, it seemed as though you could reach out and touch it. The bass was also extraordinary for a SET, both in quantity and control. I only set this amp aside, and moved on from the SET world because the speakers I got on a great deal, and which should have been a perfect match witht he amp, weren't. It turned out (thank you Ralph from AtmaSphere, another one of the great guys in audio) that the sensitivity was greatly overstated on those speakers. There literally is no SET amp in existence that could remotely drive them. And, what stopped me in my tracks, at that point, was the tiny number of really good high sensitivity speaker makers, and the fact that even equalling the speakers I had, was simply not financially possible for me, so my SET system died in it's infancy. I still have not been able to bring myself to sell the Carissa Signature, especially after all Joe did for me, but, I don't really have a choice. It's simply too great an amp to just sit here. Someone needs to be using it and enjoying it.

Next up were the Red Wine LIlliana monoblocks, a hybrid designfrom Vinnie Rossi, another of the most wonderful people in audio. These little, lightweight and otherwise unpreposessing amps are a true hidden gem in the amp world. Great, well controlled bass, a liquid midrange, spacious highs, I can say nothing but great things about them. I bought them because they were noted to power the demanding Magnepan 3.7i's wonderfully (and they do). My plan then was to go with a Maggie based system. Unfortunately, it turned out that my room is a bit small for the 3.7i's, and I had to scrap the idea. At the same time I found that out, a friend had just purchased them for his more spacious room, and begged me to sell him the Lilliana's to use with them, so there they went. Next up was the Wells Audio Innamorata designed by Jeff Wells, another of the nicest people you will meet. A friend and I had heard the Wells integrated amp driving speakers when we visited the Salk speaker factory last January. I could not believe the quality of sound that the integrated was pumping out. Not long after, the lower end Wells power amp,and the Innamorata were featured in four different rooms at Axpona. The base amp was outstanding, but the Innamorata took it to another level entirely. After I got home, I stumbled across an incredibly rare ad for one of these fine amps, and snapped it up. I was certain it would be a fine match for my new Sonus Faber Olympica III's and it was. This is absolutely as good, or better than any solid state amp I've ever heard at recreating the best elements of solid state and tubed amplifiers. This could very easily have been my amp for the long except that it lacked a large and wide soundstage, something I particularly prize.

Next up, and only about a month ago,I took somewhat of a shot in the dark by grabbing up the Line Magnetic 219IA, aka The Beast" when it popped up for sale (an incredibly rare thing). I had read all the rave reviews, and initially was certain it simply could not power my Sonus Fabers. However, the review by Steve Huffman, wherein he said that it drove his Guarneri Evolutions without breaking a sweet, to any levels, he wanted started me thinking. As those speakers are significantly less sensitive, and harder to drive than mine, it seemed clear that this amp could be an option. And the idea that it might be possible for this SET amp to power my Sonus Fabers was simply too much to pass up. After getting help bringing the monstrously large and heavy unit into my house, I took one look, and was in love with the way it looked and couldn't wait to hear it work it's wonders. And there, the fairy tale ends. At lower to barely medium levels, playing acoustic music, or ligher music, it sounded like one of the best SET's you've ever heard. That was it, however. It ran out of huice playing anything more loudly, or more challenging. It simply could not drive the speakers. Thankfully, it now has a happy home, in a small listening room in Chicago, with quite sensitive speakers (with powered subwoofers). And this bring us to the newly acquired VAC 200iQ.

The 200iQ, while not being able to offer the golden warmth, and glisteningly liquid midrange of a great SET amp, does so as well or better than any push pull, or other design of tube amp, or any solid state amp $25k or under, that I've ever heard. The midrange still offers liquidity, and some warmth, but the pure musicality of the amp, overall is what is stunning. Earlier tonight, I put on an old favorite piece of music by the brilliant and unmatched bassist, Chris Squire of Yes. We sadly lost Chris when he passed away within the last year, but his incredible artistry on the bass lives on in his recordings. His first solo recording, "Fish Out Of Water' offers some of his finest moments playing the bass guitar as, at times, a lead instrument. One particular cut from that album, "Lucky Seven" is extremely challenging to reproduce well. When I listened tonight, it came alive as I had never previously heard it. The stunningly dynamic bass tones, against the rest of the instruments was portrayed as though I was there live. I literally just sat back and shook my head at how well the 200iQ was capable of reproducing that.

In the end, ther 200iQ offers me the best bass of all of the amplifiers I have owned, with only the solid state, Wells amp being able to equal it. The midrange is better than any I've heard in solid state, although again, the Wells was somewhat close. In terms of treble/highs, the VAC is above anything but the best SET I ever owned. And, very importantly, the size, width and depth of the soundstage is simply beyond all of the other amps. In overall musicality, the 200iQ is in a very real sense, untouchable, to my mind, and can compete with equipment 2-3 times it's price. And I've auditioned and heard a LOT of amps in my time.

JC

Slap--thanks for sharing your amp "journey". Tremendously helpful! I too had read the Huffman write up on the LM219 and REALLY wanted to try one on my Magicos. Now I'm glad I didn't. Between your experience on the SFs and my more recent experience on the M3s, where I've detected the single 200 iQ clipping when played REALLY loud (3rd movement of the Beethoven piano concerto #5), I'm sure the 219 would have run out of gas.

My only criticism of the 200iQ, and it is a minor one, is that it is slightly lacking bass in my room (which is large and open) at loud volumes. My belief is that it is simply a power issue, asking too much of a 100W/channel amp. That's why I'm likely going to buy a 2nd unit and use them as monoblocks. I suspect 200 W/channel will be just the ticket!

Audioshark

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/...oothing-sound/

"In particular, it seemed the slight warmth imparted by the VAC gear was the perfect compliment to the Magico S5s, which can lean toward the analytical side on the wrong solid-state front end."

I've been saying VAC with Magico was a great pairing for a long time.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/...oothing-sound/

"In particular, it seemed the slight warmth imparted by the VAC gear was the perfect compliment to the Magico S5s, which can lean toward the analytical side on the wrong solid-state front end."

I've been saying VAC with Magico was a great pairing for a long time.
    I agree! For me, I have a real emotional connection to the music with the combination of the VAC preamp and amp, and M3s, that I just didn't get with the Constellation Centaur II. I've never listened to so much music in my life!

I agree! For me, I have a real emotional connection to the music with the combination of the VAC preamp and amp, and M3s, that I just didn't get with the Constellation Centaur II. I've never listened to so much music in my life!
    And listening to the music is what is all about, after all. I think your plan to add a second 200iQ is the perfect solution. Mikes previous comments about their performance as monoblocks speaks for itself. Thankfully for me, one 200iQ is all my Olympica's need. I might have to start selling body parts if I had to fund a second one!

JC

Slap--thanks for sharing your amp "journey". Tremendously helpful! I too had read the Huffman write up on the LM219 and REALLY wanted to try one on my Magicos. Now I'm glad I didn't. Between your experience on the SFs and my more recent experience on the M3s, where I've detected the single 200 iQ clipping when played REALLY loud (3rd movement of the Beethoven piano concerto #5), I'm sure the 219 would have run out of gas.

My only criticism of the 200iQ, and it is a minor one, is that it is slightly lacking bass in my room (which is large and open) at loud volumes. My belief is that it is simply a power issue, asking too much of a 100W/channel amp. That's why I'm likely going to buy a 2nd unit and use them as monoblocks. I suspect 200 W/channel will be just the ticket!

Rest assured that if the 200iQ comes up a bit short with your Magico's, the LM 219IA wouldn't even begin to have a hope. That was a sad experience for me because the build quality of the Line Magnetic was just superb, and I absolutely loved the looks of that beast. And the sound was magic too, but only at lower levels or with quiet, easy, acoustic stuff.

JC

My dealer picked up the Constellation amp today and left a 2nd 200iQ for me to try. The M3s definitely needed just a bit more power in my room. There is now more bass and mid bass. For example, with a single 200iQ the left hand of the piano tended to get a little lost in the lower registers, but not now. Seems just "right". At loud volumes, in retrospect, there was just a bit of "hardness" and slight collapse of soundstage that is now gone. In general the sound is bit more relaxed and liquid too.

VERY happy with the improvement!

My dealer picked up the Constellation amp today and left a 2nd 200iQ for me to try. The M3s definitely needed just a bit more power in my room. There is now more bass and mid bass. For example, with a single 200iQ the left hand of the piano tended to get a little lost in the lower registers, but not now. Seems just "right". At loud volumes, in retrospect, there was just a bit of "hardness" and slight collapse of soundstage that is now gone. In general the sound is bit more relaxed and liquid too.

VERY happy with the improvement!
    Glad to hear how well the second 200iQ solved your concerns, and not in the least surprised. It sounds like you should now have everything you need and can simply sit back and enjoy the music for what I would think would be a VERY long time! Congrats.

JC

Hi guys, sorry to bump an older thread. Just checking in to see how everyone is getting along with their VAC amps. Anything interesting to report?

Still love mine. I don’t feel like I am missing anything with them in the system. I probably am, but that’s why I’m not going to bring the VAC “big brothers” in for an audition!

Greetings! Bumping this thread again, as I'm in the market for an upgrade. Mike has me interested in the 200iQ and a few others. I'm currently running Magico S3 mkII, and quite a few folks seem to think these amps pair well with Magico.

How about some longer term user reports? Have you learned any tricks with these amps? How about reports on different tubes? Are you using the new master pre amp?

Any information you can offer is followed up by a big "thank you"!

Hopefully you are all having a great holiday checking out your next audio conquest. Cheers!

Audioshark

Calling Larry....

Here’s a taste of VAC and S3 mk2:

https://youtu.be/EJym6GGf2xg

Super Moderator

Calling Larry....

Here’s a taste of VAC and S3 mk2:

https://youtu.be/EJym6GGf2xg

VAC 170iq ?

Sounds awesome.

NAD C 658 streamer.

The 200iQ’s are a super value and an awfully good amp. At my dealer’s store this past weekend, I listened to a system that was pretty similar to mine: same speakers (Magico M3’s) and cables, but different source (Gryphon Scorpio CD player vs my TotalDac d1-seven), preamp (newest VAC Renaissance vs my VAC Master) and amp (VAC Statement 450 non-iQ monoblocks vs my VAC 200iQ monoblocks).

The 200iQ’s clearly communicated the greater detail, musicality and soundstaging of the upstream TotalDac and VAC Master preamp. I don’t doubt that the Statement 450’s would be even better in my system, but the 200iQ’s are so musical and so enjoyable that I also don’t feel the need to upgrade to the Statement 450’s. I suspect that the upstream components would have to be awfully good for the 200iQ monoblocks to be the weakest link. They are truly wonderful amps!

The one thing to potentially be aware of is how the 200iQ matches to the speakers. A stereo 200iQ had more of a top-down sound with the M3’s irrespective of which OPT tap I used. Adding a 2nd 200iQ resulted in sound that was better-balanced to my ears, with much improved warmth and liquidity. But I prefer a more bottom-up type of sound. YMMV.

Dang Mike ......you need an M-scaler in that system........
    Wow.....the synergy of the 200iq with my S3MK2 is beyond perfection. So sweet......in love with my system more than ever..........I already started to work on prying those KT88 Golden lions Mike has..........you know the ones he calls my little precious in that funny and sorta creepy little voice.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Thanks Larry - Have you noticed a preferred speaker cable Ohm tap on the 200 IQ that works best for the S3 mkII's? Did you choose the Renaissance for a particular reason (or based on cost)?

Just survived a near heart attack while nearing the end of a three hour listening session. I was completely immersed in the performance of a lifetime favorite song on the new King Crimson "Live In Toronto" recording when the sound suddenly went out, followed almost instantly by was a bzzzzzzttttt sound. Next thing you know, I was staring at a red led light on the front of the 200iQ. The far left KT88 tube crapped out, per the manual.

Thank god for the Continuous Automatic Bias System, as a tube completely failing like that in a standard design amplifier could have resulted in any number of issues. Having been in tubes a long time, you realize such a thing is always possible, but I was a bit more shocked than usual, given that this particular amplifier has only a bit more than about 200 hours on it. The amp was recently transported about 5 hours, by car, but I did verify complete seating of all tubes before turning on the amp the first time. And given that all was fine for the 15 hours or so since then, while in use,I doubt that could have had any impact. It simply appears that one of the Gold Lions just blew.

Oh well, looks like I need to do some checking as to which supplier is closest to me, get a replacement ordered, and pay for expedited shipping.

JC
    not sure what you consider normal tube amp design. conrad johnson for a long long time have had a very simple and very effective bias scheme. individual bias pot for each tube - bias til the light comes on, back off so it goes off - done. If a tube fails, the bias light turns red for the offending tube. If anything else happens, the fuse triggers, saving the amp.

It would be interesting hearing the new cj amps and the VAC amps together.

cheers
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Audioshark

VAC Signature iQ200

Keeping tubes in constant perfect bias has a big impact and improvement on the sound.

I went with my Mikes recommendation of 2-4 ohms since my speakers are 4 ohms. I have not yet experimented with other taps even thou the manual says it safe to do so.
    I went with the Renaissance model based on sound and cost
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Super Moderator

I’d love to hear the iq200 on my Avantgarde. I’m sure it’s wonderful.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Keeping tubes in constant perfect bias has a big impact and improvement on the sound.

Hi mike,
    HNY 2019.
    I ve read all the thread and no doubt iq200 monos are amazing.
    I know you had the AR 160 m also, so to compare the 2 amps what will you say.
    Thks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

VAC Signature iQ200