VAC Signature iQ200 - Page 15
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: VAC Signature iQ200

Thanks! The gold-fleck black finish is really amazing - it looks "wet" and endlessly deep and smooth - unlike those ubiquitous cheap glossy black finishes. The gold flecks are icing. I'm getting a growing itch to replace my REF 6 (awesome as it is) with a black VAC pre now. Need to borrow my dealer's Ren V again to see if the synergy equation has changed (loved its midrange & tone, didn't think it rocked quite as well as the REF 6).

And as luck would have it, my right ear has remained blocked up all week and it turns out to be a middle-ear infection to go with the sinuses. Haven't been sick in 4 years; was starting to feel immune. Perhaps it's the Audio Gods reminding me not to fly too high to fast. Got some antibiotics from the doc today - here's hoping it turns around for this weekend.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the amazing new amps! Enjoy in good health. Hopefully the ear issue clears up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Ear is still not fully better, though at least it's starting to have moments where it can hear up to 85% again (and then it will close up again grr). But ugh, this is killing me.

In anticipation of my ear actually getting better at some point, I was a bad boy today and snagged a used Renaissance Mk V at a good price. I'd borrowed one before, and decided to stick with my REF6, but that was before these 200iQ's. I think the REF6's sonic signature is now sticking out more in contrast to the VAC phono stage & amps - it's a bit forward, and aggressive compared to the VAC sound. And that's a double-edged sword - on one side it can really thrash and get the adrenaline rushing with hard rock and heavy metal music, but on the other it can be "too much" on parts of recordings with harsh/shrill top-end energy - and the latter is exacerbated by the Tannoy horn tweeter. Now I want to give the full-house VAC sound a try (and I'll roll some really nice Seimens / Philips E88CC tubes this time). This will probably not be my final preamp destination (at least upgrade to SE status), but I'm so pleased with the VAC phono and 200iQ's I think it's time to give the VAC pre another try. I also feel more comfortable with VAC service going forward, as needed.

4. Likes Dguitarnut liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    Thanks Mike. Ear is still not fully better, though at least it's starting to have moments where it can hear up to 85% again (and then it will close up again grr). But ugh, this is killing me.

In anticipation of my ear actually getting better at some point, I was a bad boy today and snagged a used Renaissance Mk V at a good price. I'd borrowed one before, and decided to stick with my REF6, but that was before these 200iQ's. I think the REF6's sonic signature is now sticking out more in contrast to the VAC phono stage & amps - it's a bit forward, and aggressive compared to the VAC sound. And that's a double-edged sword - on one side it can really thrash and get the adrenaline rushing with hard rock and heavy metal music, but on the other it can be "too much" on parts of recordings with harsh/shrill top-end energy - and the latter is exacerbated by the Tannoy horn tweeter. Now I want to give the full-house VAC sound a try (and I'll roll some really nice Seimens / Philips E88CC tubes this time). This will probably not be my final preamp destination (at least upgrade to SE status), but I'm so pleased with the VAC phono and 200iQ's I think it's time to give the VAC pre another try. I also feel more comfortable with VAC service going forward, as needed.
    Glad the ear is getting better. Ear aches are no fun!

My two cents: You really want to save up (even if it takes a long time) and go Master. Itís just head and shoulders above any of the other VAC preamps (except for the Statement).
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

6. Likes mulveling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boy, it's been a long road on my sinus & ear infection recovery. Still not 100% back, but something like 95% back in the bad ear, at least. Saturday was the first time I had a clear ear for a good listening session with my brand new 200iQ. I think I'm realizing that of great relevance to your preferred tubes in these amps - besides just speakers, music genres, personal preferences, and recording quality - is the question of what volume levels you enjoy. The 200iQ's stock KT88 and 6SN7, though not fully burned in yet, could get a bit too searing hot up top on my Tannoys, at loud volumes, with less than perfect rock/pop recordings. I don't remember the loaner's stock tubes being quite this hot to handle, so a good part of this must be tube burn-in. The use of my own Russian KT120 and Slyvania "tall boy" 6SN7GTA, as I ended up using with the loaner amps, seems to be the perfect remedy - and is sounding just as I remembered with the loaner amps. Almost any recording, with at least some good qualities to it, is immensely enjoyable with this "relaxed" tube complement at my "weekend night" listening levels.

The Renaissance V pre arrived yesterday - though I know I need to keep an eye on the Master for the long run. As it was with my prior trial of this preamp (over a year ago now), it's pitting the V's beautiful midrange & voicing against the REF6's overall top-to-bottom balance, extension, and resolution. It sounds great, but I'm not sure I'm getting any extra-special synergy sauce with the V paired to 200iQ's, besides perhaps a little more depth to the stage. I love the look of all-VAC faces, but the REF6 sonics are admittedly quite hard to beat. Now I have to wonder how the REF6SE would sound. With the Renaissance V so far, I've tried some Upscale Audio Platinum-grade 1970's Siemens gold-pin E88CC (A-frame), but quickly went back to the stock Electro-Harmonix - the top-end sear of the Siemens here was also too much for my setup, and the EH tubes back it off perfectly. Wasn't expecting the Siemens to get so easily dismissed! Dang, those probably need burn-in too lol. I have others to try yet, including Philips PQ E88CC and Matsushita PCC88, both of which I know to already sound wonderful in other amps. Gotta give it some more time. A lot has changed in my system in 2 years!

8. Likes FDPDK liked this post

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15