VAC Signature iQ200 - Page 14
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: VAC Signature iQ200

Finally tried an octet of Tung-Sol KT120. The 200iQ's sound fantastic either way - it's not a *huge* difference, and overall tonal balance is very similar. However the sound is perhaps little bit more rockin' with the KT120 - very dynamic and punchy. Large, engaging sound field. Awesome with rock, hard rock, metal, pop music. Perhaps a touch more dry in the mids, but definitely not enough to mess up that beautiful VAC midrange. I made this same sort of choice with the Apollos, preferring its more punchy Ultralinear mode over the slightly sweeter Triode. The music I most listen to falls into pop / rock / metal, so...I really like these KT120! I'll continue to listen this way for a while before I try the KT88 again to gain some final clarity on the comparison. Got some vintage 6SN7 tubes on the way too (frustratingly, my old tube stash has numerous pairs and singles of 6SN7, but no quads). Still have the output taps to play with, and of course eventually these will need a proper stand. These amps can probably go even further. Easily still in honeymoon phase here, it's been a blast!

2. Likes Dth31, rrwmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol....one man’s treasure is another man’s trash.
    I didn’t like them much in my system. A couple of days ago I changed out my Kt150s for the stock Kt88’s Golden Lions (not nos) for chit and kibbles and they sound nicer than I remembered. Now I would like to locate some KR Kt88’s which I found to be a notch above these stock tubes.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with you Larry... I ran KT150's for about 2 weeks. I ended up preferring the KR KT88's... and preferring the KR's just a small notch above the Gold Lion new issues...

I'm also sitting on two matched NOS Gold Lion tubes, and on the search for two more. So hard to find!
    Jeremy

Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Power Amp: VAC 200iQ (stereo)
    Source/DAC/Preamplifier: MSB Reference DAC (Femto 77 / Dual Powerbase)
    Power: Shunyata Triton V3 / Shunyata Typhon QR / AQ NRG 20 Outlet / Dedicated 20 amp circuit
    -------------
    Power Cables: AQ Dragons to components / AQ Hurricane to Typhon QR
    Speaker Cables: MIT Heritage MI 2C3D - Level 1
    Interconnects: MIT Heritage MI 2C3D - Level 1 (XLR)
    Ethernet: AQ Vodka > Aqvox SE > AQ Diamond > MSB Reference DAC
    Racks: Critical Mass Sotto Voce with Black Platinum shelves

5. Likes rrwmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got my second one of these last week (thanks Mike!). WOW! Bigger, bolder, even more of the same greatness. The 'iron fist in a velvet glove' kind of thing.
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4+Keces P3 Power Supply | Audioquest Diamond Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | ARC REFERENCE 160M amps | JBL 4367+Isoacoustics Gaia I | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000T | Luminous Audio Technology cabling and power | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustics room treatments | ASC Iso-wall/Iso-ceiling construction

7. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, Dth31, joeinid, mulveling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rrwmd View Post
    Got my second one of these last week (thanks Mike!). WOW! Bigger, bolder, even more of the same greatness. The 'iron fist in a velvet glove' kind of thing.
    Interesting. That was my experience, too. Immediately audible, not the kind of situation where you’re wondering if maybe it’s a little better. More solid foundation. More body. A lot better. Just don’t ask me why...
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-seven DAC, Totaldac d1-server with Gigafilter
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo
    Power products: Synergistic Research Power Cell 12 UEF and Transporter Ultra. Galileo power cords.

9. Likes rrwmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lalalalalala........I can’t read the above 2 posts..
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

11. Likes rrwmd, joeinid liked this post

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14