Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Audioshark

Axpona 2016 Thoughts, Best Of's and more...

This years Axpona was probably the best they've had. There were lots of vendors and better sounding rooms than in shows past. I felt the traffic was also up, but others were not so sure. The folks at Axpona worked very hard to put on another great show this year. That being said, there is room for improvement. Axpona was marred not by who was there or the rooms, but by who wasn't there. No Pass (except for a pair of amps in one room), no Vitus, no Rockport, no PS Audio and most importantly, no MQA! I had more than a few people tell me, "the whole reason I came to Axpona was to hear MQA." The list of notable no shows was long and frankly, disappointing. Axpona needs to find a way to directly attract more manufacturers and more distributors. All in all, a good show and a nice improvement over last year.

Biggest surprise:

As far as sources are concerned, tape stole the show. The tape seminar that Myles put on was good and the number of reel-to-reel machines in use seemingly up 500% over any previous shows. Tape definitely made a strong impact as far as sources were concerned.

Biggest disappointment:

No real MQA presence. IMO - there should have been a big MQA room where demos were being held every hour on the hour, not buried on a little Mytek table in the back of the main lobby with the headphones, Record cleaning machines and vinyl for sale. People have heard the hype, Axpona was a perfect time to "show the beef".

Auspicious debuts:

Magico S5 mk2. Jadis KT150 integrated. Wilson Alexx. StromTank. New Atmasphere tube amp. Air Force 3 turntable. Wells Audio Integrated. VPI DD Avenger. CAT mk7 amps. Many others.

Best Budget Speaker:

The Elac's made another strong showing, but this year, for me, the Aurum Cantus Melody M-102SE's at $2500 a pair. Finished in a gorgeous cherry (or rosewood option), these speakers sounded magnificent. Runner up: Elac's.

Best Solid State Amp:

The Wells Audio amp just sounded right. It sounded like music. I was smitten with this amp. Runner up: Parasound JC1's/Rowland (tie). Honorable mention: Gamut amps.

Best Tube Amp:

The big CAT amps were sounding magnificent in the Magico room, but I have to say the VAC 200 iQ monos. Paired with the Von Schweikert speakers, these amps sound like music. Runner up: Jadis I-50.

Best Tape Source:

Chad's Ampex R2R in the Rowland/Joseph room.

Best Vinyl Source:

Kronos Pro with ZYX Universe Premium in the Magico S5 mk2 room/VPI Direct Drive Avenger (tie).

Best Digital:
    Impressed again with the Chord DAVE. Maybe Suncoast Audio needs another addition to its digital lineup...hmmmm....

Best Wireless Speaker (could this become a new category?):

The Goldmund Wireless speakers were awesome! Goldmund speakers with internal Goldmund electronics. How could they be anything but great?

Best Speaker:

OK, the MBL 101 Xtremes are insane, needing a massive room and costing $1,000,000 for speakers, amp, cables, sources, etc. so, we almost have to exclude them from this contest and focus on speakers people might actually buy. So, in the speaker category that some will actually buy, the Magico S5 mk2 was the most consistent sounding in the show. As I mentioned in another post, I went back to that room 10-15 times and it was always sounding great. No boom. Just right.

Runner up's: Avantgarde Uno XD (after I argued with the Avantgarde rep on Saturday morning and he finally allowed me to fix the EQ -- then thanked me afterwards because they sounded WAY better -- long story). He didn't touch my EQ settings and kept saying "these sound so much better, thank you."

Focal Sopra 2's with the Pass XS amps and Sopra 2's with the MicroMega integrated. Awesome! The big Tidal speakers were also amazing. Loved that whole Tidal room. Big dollars though. The Gamut speakers also sounded awesome. The Monitor Audio Platinum II speakers have to be one of the greatest buys in audio. $27,000 for a speaker that is very reminiscent of the Raidho D5. The D5 still beats it, but boy...for $27,000? These big Monitor Audio's are impressive. I also liked the KEF Blade 2's with the Parasound gear. Very nice sounding. Harbeth SHL5+ with the Vinnie Rossi Lio was also nice, but could get boomy.

More...Eggleston speakers on the second level with a full ModWright setup and the Scaena speakers with ARC also sounded very nice.

Finally, in the "what the hell is that?" category, we have the Waveion speaker. Looking inside the speaker, one could see tie wraps and other things.

Best Overall Room:

As I've said before, the Magico S5 mk2/CAT/Kronos Pro with ZYX Universe Premium cart was by far the most consistent. No bass humps. No "it was good sometimes." It was consistently excellent. When the Magico/CAT/Kronos combo was playing, nothing could touch it. The ambience, the presence, the realness was unmatched.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Axpona 2016 Thoughts, Best Of's and more...

No MQA presence.....

Bob Stuart and Meridian never have and never will get what it takes to make something happen, especially here in the States. They don't know a thing about promotion and I truthfully feel they have total disdain for audio shows in general and the US audio market in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Runner up's: Avantgarde Uno XD (after I argued with the Avantgarde rep on Saturday morning and he finally allowed me to fix the EQ -- then thanked me afterwards because they sounded WAY better -- long story). He didn't touch my EQ settings and kept saying "these sound so much better, thank you."
    YAY Mike! Who was the rep, if you can say here?
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    YAY Mike! Who was the rep, if you can say here?
    A new kid. Forget his name.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

New kids and trial by fire. They learn so fast, if they listen.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Mike I heard the Unos both Friday and Saturday and they were in my top 3 for the show regardless what day I listened. You should have tweaked the Zero 1s. I could easily see myself living with the Avantgarde UNO XDs in my system.
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Mike I heard the Unos both Friday and Saturday and they were in my top 3 for the show regardless what day I listened. You should have tweaked the Zero 1s. I could easily see myself living with the Avantgarde UNO XDs in my system.
    I agree. Paired with a little SET amp and you're in heaven!

If you were able to get into the MBL room and get a good seat and they had a tape playing on the UHA deck this was no doubt the best sound of the show in my opinion. Nothing can reproduce the scale and magnitude of the MBL speakers and present a soundstage in such a holographic way. Truly remarkable sounding. I guess you gotta pay to play in that league!
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

You know Mike I don't no exactly what my problem was with the S5 room and the high frequencies. I spent a long time in that room in the sweet spot listening to a large number of tracks (mainly jazz with and without vocals and classical). The only thing I regret is not asking for vinyl. All of my time was with tape. (Frankly it never occurred to me to ask to leave tape and go to vinyl in hopes of improving my perception of the speaker, but I wonder to what extent that may have been part of the issue). The tracks were being run by a gentlemen that seemed to take some ownership in the tapes and many of them seemed to me to have a high noise floor. I asked about this and he was not too responsive other than to say his "new" ones were better. ????

I will say the S5 mkii were incredibly (almost singularly) resolving. I am not sure I have ever heard a speaker that is capable telling you more accurately how a bad recording can sound. Of course the corollary is what I am sure the S5's do on the good ones. Like I said, wish I had forced some vinyl.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    You know Mike I don't no exactly what my problem was with the S5 room and the high frequencies. I spent a long time in that room in the sweet spot listening to a large number of tracks (mainly jazz with and without vocals and classical). The only thing I regret is not asking for vinyl. All of my time was with tape. (Frankly it never occurred to me to ask to leave tape and go to vinyl in hopes of improving my perception of the speaker, but I wonder to what extent that may have been part of the issue). The tracks were being run by a gentlemen that seemed to take some ownership in the tapes and many of them seemed to me to have a high noise floor. I asked about this and he was not too responsive other than to say his "new" ones were better. ????

I will say the S5 mkii were incredibly (almost singularly) resolving. I am not sure I have ever heard a speaker that is capable telling you more accurately how a bad recording can sound. Of course the corollary is what I am sure the S5's do on the good ones. Like I said, wish I had forced some vinyl.
    I have a hunch it was the tapes. It was things that gentleman had recorded with some unique mikeing techniques. I BELIEVE the R2R was a Sony (not a Studer or Ampex) and using the internal tape preamp (read: 35 year old solid state electronics). When the vinyl was put on - holy smokes - things really went into high heaven mode. I would give them another listen when you can.

I think the new Jadis integrateds are fantastic - glad they had a good showing at Axpona like Newport last year.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

I also was surprised about the lack of MQA. I think they had it in a room upstairs (Saturday Audio Exchange?), but I got tired of waiting for them to actually play something instead of just talking about it.

Jerome Andre?

I think I remember an MQA demo last year at Axpona.

I think Avantgarde had issues with the white speakers, whichever model that was. When I heard them Saturday, the volume was way too low and they were playing a Pagannini Violin Concerto where the violin had no harmonic richness at all.

how was the Vapor/Lampi room? i think they were supposed to have a simple Cirrus Black setup which i'd love to hear some time.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

I have a hunch it was the tapes. It was things that gentleman had recorded with some unique mikeing techniques. I BELIEVE the R2R was a Sony (not a Studer or Ampex) and using the internal tape preamp (read: 35 year old solid state electronics). When the vinyl was put on - holy smokes - things really went into high heaven mode. I would give them another listen when you can.

I'm kicking myself for not going back! I only heard tape as well. I wanted to listen to them more to get an idea of what we might expect the S3 MKII will sound like when it makes its way to market. I'll be particularly interested in that release.
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Had an amazing time with the great folks of Aurender tonight. Wonderful meal at Pete Miller's, followed by a visit here to show them the demo rooms. This photo taken in the big room upstairs.
    L to R: Eric Shim, Harry Lee, Sally Jeung, and Johh-Paul Lizars. It's a genuine honor to be associated with them.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian Walsh
    Music Direct

Audioshark

Sounds like a good time Brian. Always good to see the Aurender folks. I had a nice visit with them at Axpona as well.

Audioshark

Not to toot my own horn, but a quick tour around the other forums this morning showed, once again, either a complete lack of coverage of the latest audio show (in this case, Axpona) or spotty at best - and certainly no where near the level of photos, coverage, thoughts from members, etc.

I noticed the same thing after CES in January, RMAF in October, the previous Axpona, CES before that and the list goes on.

Audioshark is the place to be for the latest news, pictures and thoughts on the latest in high end audio.

Mike,

What were your thoughts on the new Sonus faber Il Cremonese?
    D'Agostino Momentum HD Pre
    D'Agostino Momentum Phono Pre
    D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
    D'Agostino Momentum S250

dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
    dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
    dCS Vivaldi Clock

Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette, Mezzo

REL No.31 x 2
    REL Carbon Special x 2

AVID Acutus Reference SP (SME series V, Ortofon A95), Roon Nucleus+

McIntosh MX151, McIntosh MVP881, Oppo BDP105

Transparent Generation 5 Reference

HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Rscotth View Post
    Mike,

VERY nice! I like them better than the Aida and Lilium.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Rscotth View Post
    Mike,

Thanks
    D'Agostino Momentum HD Pre
    D'Agostino Momentum Phono Pre
    D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
    D'Agostino Momentum S250

dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
    dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
    dCS Vivaldi Clock

Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette, Mezzo

REL No.31 x 2
    REL Carbon Special x 2

AVID Acutus Reference SP (SME series V, Ortofon A95), Roon Nucleus+

McIntosh MX151, McIntosh MVP881, Oppo BDP105

Transparent Generation 5 Reference

HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand

Well done Mike!!!!!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Not to toot my own horn, but a quick tour around the other forums this morning showed, once again, either a complete lack of coverage of the latest audio show (in this case, Axpona) or spotty at best - and certainly no where near the level of photos, coverage, thoughts from members, etc.

I noticed the same thing after CES in January, RMAF in October, the previous Axpona, CES before that and the list goes on.

Audioshark is the place to be for the latest news, pictures and thoughts on the latest in high end audio.
    You tell 'em Hoss!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us Mike.

Yes... Il Cremonese has my attention. I have seen them close up and look forward to a demo and posting my thoughts soon.

Speakeasy

Many thanks for the great coverage. Just wondering if you were planning to post any videos of some of the rooms you liked?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Many thanks for the great coverage. Just wondering if you were planning to post any videos of some of the rooms you liked?
    I did take a few videos, but not many. I think I used up all the space on my phone shooting videos in the MBL 101 Xtreme room.

'Did you have a listen to any W/Benesch Mike?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    'Did you have a listen to any W/Benesch Mike?
    They were a no show...again.

They'll be at Munich.

I did take a few videos, but not many. I think I used up all the space on my phone shooting videos in the MBL 101 Xtreme room.

I advise not watching that one before bedtime you won't fall asleep.

Which Sonus Faber speakers were being played in the ARC room? That room was in my top 5 for best sound.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Audioshark

Which Sonus Faber speakers were being played in the ARC room? That room was in my top 5 for best sound.
    Il Cremona

My first major audio show...drove up from St. Louis.

Great time. It was good to be able to hear a lot of the equipment I've only read about. I agree with Mike's notations on the favorite rooms (Tidal, Scaena, Il Cremona, Gamut, Avantgarde Uno's topped my list from his mentions)...a couple of others:
    - Von Schweikert V55 Active's with VAC amplification
    - Spatial Audio M3's...I was blown away when I learned the price
    - Joseph Audio
    - AudioKinesis powered by Atma-Sphere...great transparency
    - Gershman Acoustics' new entry level model
    - Bricasti into Bricasti into Tidal (Bricasti room)

The other thing I enjoyed was meeting the manufacturers and manufacturer reps...particularly Brian Zollner from Bricasti (I'm an M1 owner), Lars from Raidho/Aavik/Ansuz (I have the Sparkz TC), Kerry St James from YG Acoustics (I'm a Carmel owner) and Clayton Shaw from Spatial Audio (I'm a former Emerald Physics owner). Benno from GamuT gave a speaker setup discussion in their room...he definitely knows from whence he speaks as there was nary a piece of acoustic treatment, he'd removed the heavy curtains in the room, and the sound was crisp and fantastic.

All told, a great experience and I look forward to next year.
    Two Channel
    YG Acoustics Carmel, REL S/3 (pair); Bricasti M25 / M20 / M1 Limited Gold, Laufer Teknik Memory Player 64 32 Core; Nordost QB8mkII / QX1 / QV2 / QKore3; Echole Obsession XLR, Liquid Cables by Laufer Teknik speaker/USB/power, Stealth Audio Sextet V15T AES/EBU cable; Stillpoints Apertures and various Artnovion; IsoAcoustic Gaia II speaker footers and Stillpoints Ultra SS; Shun Mook discs; Audiav Zirconia rack

Home Theater

Revel Performa I30, I20, C32, B15a; NAD Masters M17 pre/pro, Lexicon LX-7 amp, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, BluSound Vault II; PSAudio PowerDirector 3.5; Transparent power and interconnect cables, AudioQuest speaker cables

...also, the YG Acoustics Hailey powered by AudioNet...
    Two Channel
    YG Acoustics Carmel, REL S/3 (pair); Bricasti M25 / M20 / M1 Limited Gold, Laufer Teknik Memory Player 64 32 Core; Nordost QB8mkII / QX1 / QV2 / QKore3; Echole Obsession XLR, Liquid Cables by Laufer Teknik speaker/USB/power, Stealth Audio Sextet V15T AES/EBU cable; Stillpoints Apertures and various Artnovion; IsoAcoustic Gaia II speaker footers and Stillpoints Ultra SS; Shun Mook discs; Audiav Zirconia rack

Home Theater

Revel Performa I30, I20, C32, B15a; NAD Masters M17 pre/pro, Lexicon LX-7 amp, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, BluSound Vault II; PSAudio PowerDirector 3.5; Transparent power and interconnect cables, AudioQuest speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Indeed kudos to Mike for the coverage /pics and comments--

I see Mr, Fremer has this Vid of him gargling and wobbling around the show--quite amusing at the reactions at times--but interesting nevertheless in snippets

Oh for the lack of a small Steadicam unit though--

caution --some seasickness may occur !

Bruce

http://youtu.be/QiR7TQpHPzI

hi guys, i have a pair of gamut L7 speakers and i was wondering how the new gamut speakers sounded. any thoughts good or bad? john

No kidding - spot on - great coverage, Mike. Once again, if it wasn't for Audioshark, it'd feel like Axpona didn't even happen! Thank you!
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Quote Originally Posted by ptman View Post
    My first major audio show...drove up from St. Louis.

Great time. It was good to be able to hear a lot of the equipment I've only read about. I agree with Mike's notations on the favorite rooms (Tidal, Scaena, Il Cremona, Gamut, Avantgarde Uno's topped my list from his mentions)...a couple of others:
    - Von Schweikert V55 Active's with VAC amplification
    - Spatial Audio M3's...I was blown away when I learned the price
    - Joseph Audio
    - AudioKinesis powered by Atma-Sphere...great transparency
    - Gershman Acoustics' new entry level model
    - Bricasti into Bricasti into Tidal (Bricasti room)

The other thing I enjoyed was meeting the manufacturers and manufacturer reps...particularly Brian Zollner from Bricasti (I'm an M1 owner), Lars from Raidho/Aavik/Ansuz (I have the Sparkz TC), Kerry St James from YG Acoustics (I'm a Carmel owner) and Clayton Shaw from Spatial Audio (I'm a former Emerald Physics owner). Benno from GamuT gave a speaker setup discussion in their room...he definitely knows from whence he speaks as there was nary a piece of acoustic treatment, he'd removed the heavy curtains in the room, and the sound was crisp and fantastic.

All told, a great experience and I look forward to next year.
    PT, What did you think of the Sonjas with the MSB Select. I thought it was phenomenal. The YG's realism, imagining and balance really impressed me.

Yes Mike thanks for all the great pictures and commentary. I was not able to attend but did have some friends there. Based upon your postings I was able to guide them to some rooms and items that they missed. It was the next best thing to being there and you literally trounced any other reporting on the event. Perhaps Axpona should hire you as their PR person. Job well done.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Anyone go to the "Making of a State of the Art Recording" session? If so, what were your thoughts? I came out of there thinking soundstaging is all based on how the recording artist puts it together. He had one recording where the piano was in a separate enclosed room away from the drums, etc. The mike on the drums were right against the drums. In real life, an instrument sounds different when you are really close vs. out in the audience.

mauidan

Were the Magico S1 MK.IIs at Axpona, if so did anyone hear them.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    Were the Magico S1 MK.IIs at Axpona, if so did anyone hear them.
    No. But they're permanently in my room. Fabulous. Sold a pair last week.

Paul, I thought all of the YG rooms (MSB Select into Sonja's, AudioNet into Haley, Mola Mola into Carmel 2) had great sound consistent with what I love about the YG speakers
    Two Channel

Home Theater

mauidan

I question Stephen Stones ability to accurately assess an audio system.

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

LOL, me too.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Oh c'mon, I said this:

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    PT, What did you think of the Sonjas with the MSB Select. I thought it was phenomenal. The YG's realism, imagining and balance really impressed me.
    Steve said this:

"I’d also never heard the YG Acoustics Sonja 1.2 ($72,800) sound more natural and incisive as it did with this source."

I also said this:

Re: Axpona 2016 Official Pictures Thread

I want to get this out early so people don't think I am copying off the kid in front of me. After a long second day today, here is where I come out. Please remember I have a hearing impairment.

Top Five
    1 YG and MSB
    2 Wilson Alexx and Doshi with tape and vinyl3 Raidho D1.1 and Aavik
    3 Avantegarde Uno XD and Av Amp
    4 Wilson and Dag
    5 Martin Logan and McIntosh (seriously)

Steve said:

"Best Sound (cost no object)
    Paragon Sight and Sound’s room on the second floor won easily, populated by Wilson Audio Alexxloudspeakers ($109,000/pr.), Doshi Audio 3.0 linestage ($16,995), Doshi Audio 3.0phonostage($16,995), Doshi Audio 3.0 tape stage ($16,995), Doshi Audio Jhor mono amplifiers ($29,995/pr.),"

He can't be all bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Axpona 2016 Thoughts, Best Of's and more...