MQA Discussion - Page 151
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 151 of 155 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1546

Thread: MQA Discussion

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MQA Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Swisstrips View Post
    Archimago not sure his real name would change much of the data/facts presented. All of which is out out there in extreme detail for anyone to review or refute.

My personal reasons have little to do with sound. If people like it, who am I to argue. However The business model and execution have a significant (negative) impact. Ask a mastering eng who spent his time and craft to get something perfected only to have it completely changed without any say or consent and is permanent.

Someone (bob) has pre determined what I should like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In theory, doesn't MQA replace the mastering engineer? If we assume for a second that the album is recorded, it then goes to a Mastering Engineer for adjustment for final distribution, MQA assures us that the artist has signed off on this final Studio Master. So essentially, it removes the Mastering Engineer from the equation. So I ask, would you rather have some mastering engineer ultimately determine what you hear (based on format) or a final Master that the artist(s) have signed off on? This of course, as AJ has pointed out, assumes they are alive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=6UPxNB8An6I
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Over the last year, the only MQA music I’ve purchased was included as part of the latest Bob James CD. All of the MQA I’ve enjoyed is provided by Tidal.

So, to me, it’s not a big deal one way or another. My LUMIN supports MQA (which did not cost any additional dollars) and I stream Tidal. I don’t find ALL MQA recordings to sound better than the originals (many do but not all). And, I certainly will not buy my music collection one more time; I’ll use streaming to enjoy the better MQA recordings.

Mike

3. Likes wklie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    In theory, doesn't MQA replace the mastering engineer? If we assume for a second that the album is recorded, it then goes to a Mastering Engineer for adjustment for final distribution, MQA assures us that the artist has signed off on this final Studio Master. So essentially, it removes the Mastering Engineer from the equation. So I ask, would you rather have some mastering engineer ultimately determine what you hear (based on format) or a final Master that the artist(s) have signed off on? This of course, as AJ has pointed out, assumes they are alive!

If someone is waging $ in front of an artist??. Then again, who says the artist has any control over distribution or redistribution of their art.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt this is true, for many reasons, starting with the fact that a large number of artists with MQA recordings are dead! Also, the major labels are churning out MQA versions in large batches, just using "their" MQA encoders on their existing hi-res catalogs; the artists are no more "signing off" on them than they are on the original releases (which means some are, some aren't)
    Rob

Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
    Pass Labs INT60
    Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
    REL S3
    Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
    Torus IS5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    I doubt this is true, for many reasons, starting with the fact that a large number of artists with MQA recordings are dead!
    You familiar with John Edward?

Post Thanks / Like

Why in the world wold you want to remove the mastering engineer. MQA sure as hell is not a mastering engineer, or I hope not. I don't follow your logic - the artists+ME have signed off on the final master. For MQA to come in and bulk undo everything that was mastered is so wrong. If that's their "authenticated" process, that's a lie and for the life of me don't understand how people are OK with that.

If the artist processed with MQA from start to finish that's different (if that's even being done), but that's not what any of this is about.

This hasn't even touched on the multitude of other items, but I digress.
    Main: High end Win10 wkst (headless) running lifetime ROON server w/HQP > Fiber Switch > QNAP NAS > Fiber to mU, sbooster vbus2 > Lampi Lite7 > P7 Pre > Pass XA100.5 Mono's > Revel Ultima Studio2
    Dual PSA X15 subs
    ROON Controller > HP 2in1 13"
    Components on custom roller bearings / inner-tube (Barry D)

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > Yamaha RX integrated > Infinity Primus Monitors >12" sub

Post Thanks / Like

Just follow the money!
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Nuprime CDT-8, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's and SC, Triode Wire Labs PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swisstrips View Post
    Why in the world wold you want to remove the mastering engineer. MQA sure as hell is not a mastering engineer, or I hope not. I don't follow your logic - the artists+ME have signed off on the final master. For MQA to come in and bulk undo everything that was mastered is so wrong. If that's their "authenticated" process, that's a lie and for the life of me don't understand how people are OK with that.

If the artist processed with MQA from start to finish that's different (if that's even being done), but that's not what any of this is about.

This hasn't even touched on the multitude of other items, but I digress.
    This is part of the topic that hasn't been discussed much. In my conversations with Mastering Engineer Bob Katz, he has been concerned about the role of the Mastering Engineer with respect to MQA. I am not either for or against the role of the Mastering Engineer as it relates to MQA, just merely discussing. DO NOT read anything into it. It's just curiosity on my part.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

MQA Discussion

This is part of the topic that hasn't been discussed much. In my conversations with Mastering Engineer Bob Katz, he has been concerned about the role of the Mastering Engineer with respect to MQA. I am not either for or against the role of the Mastering Engineer as it relates to MQA, just merely discussing. DO NOT read anything into it. It's just curiosity on my part.
    it’s all good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Main: High end Win10 wkst (headless) running lifetime ROON server w/HQP > Fiber Switch > QNAP NAS > Fiber to mU, sbooster vbus2 > Lampi Lite7 > P7 Pre > Pass XA100.5 Mono's > Revel Ultima Studio2
    Dual PSA X15 subs
    ROON Controller > HP 2in1 13"
    Components on custom roller bearings / inner-tube (Barry D)

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > Yamaha RX integrated > Infinity Primus Monitors >12" sub

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    I don't know about the technical side but I do know you can hear a difference. Remember when we were young and had eq. Or at least I did. The big ADA 20 channel one. Inevitabley we would, or at least most I saw were a smiley face. Accentuating the highs and lows. I just listened to Led Zeppelin Lemon Song. I let HQ player do what it could between the base file and the MQA remaster. My DAC is not MQA. The remaster is more clear and has a lot more high frequency information. However, In finding the original more flat, I also found I heard the swing and rythem of John Bonhams drums more "in the groove". I rolled with the band more.

If the end of the graph is the addition of all that high frequency information, then I can see why many people gravitate to it. We think its added music. The clarity is another issue. It's nice and I don't see much reason to dislike it. But in the end, it's closing your eyes and getting into the groove that sets me free. Not analyzing the song. The original does it better, for me.
    In 1968-69 I remember sitting around in the basement with my friends (we were 13) listening to King Crimson and Led Zeppelin, on vinyl of course. I just listened to the Lemon Song on Tidal, Mqa and non, and I was struck how awful this recording sounds on my system. Robert Plant sounds like he's singing through a tin can. The Lampizator doesn't unfold mqa fully but I can't imagine it provides a significant improvement.

It sounded a lot better in the basement in '69. Maybe my memory is colored. Maybe the vinyl master is also better? But one thing I'm sure of is that recorded music needs good recording and mastering. Everything else is secondary.
    Source: Roon Nucleus, Cisco 2960 Switch, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Lampizator GM 70 mono's Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, JL Audio e112 subs. Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Shunyata Sigma Interconnects and Speaker cables Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment from Vicoustic.

Page 151 of 155 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 LastLast