Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Re: Did you ride today?

Got out Tuesday night... needed a time trial effort to test the legs. This Sunday is "Ride the Hurricane" where they close the road to traffic up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. Its 4500' of climbing in 18 short miles. A real gut-bust if you choose, though it is a "recreational ride" so most folks go at their own pace, stop, rest, enjoy the views. Tour riders cover a couple of these category 1 climbs in a single day in the mountains, at 14-16 mph. Then they top it off with a "beyond category" climb to the finish. Ugh!

I did the climb a couple years ago and it took me a little over two hours. This year I want to get in under 2, hence my Tuesday night time trial effort. 33 miles, 1650' verticle is my standard loop. I topped my previous personal best by .1 mph for 18.4. I think I could have made it 18.5 or 18.6 but I slowed a couple times for the fellow riding with me.

I've decided to enter a sanctioned USCF time trial the following weekend. Classic 25 mile course, almost flat (only 300' vertical), typical out-and-back. On the flats I'm rolling 21-23, but can maybe up the pace knowing its only a wee bit more than an hour effort. Should be a good test of this almost 56 years old heart and legs.

Good luck Bob. 4500' in 18 miles...no thank you sir! It's always nice to get a new personal best no matter how much you beat it by. You just need to do that every once in a while to feel like you can take back aging a little bit.

Kick some ass on Sunday!!!
    Doug

Well, I did it! I got up that bloody mountain without stopping. I didn't make my goal of under 2 hours (2:07) but not stopping on the way up was a big deal for me. Perfect day, clear skies, temps in upper 50's / low 60's.

At the last minute on Saturday, just before heading off to catch the ferry across the sound, I decided to swap out my carbon fiber wheels for my aluminum rims. Both wheel sets weigh about the same, but I had a moment of hesitation thinking about the decent on my carbon clinchers. I've heard some stories, though I think they are mostly urban legends, regarding carbon clinchers and steep descents with lots of breaking. At it turned out I would have been just fine as my descending/cornering skills are better than ever and I was hardly on the breaks at all. But... I forgot to add a wheel magnet so while my time was accurate grade and distance were computed by the Garmin. Maximum grade 11.8%, average grade 8.3%, distance 18 miles. Average heart rate 157, or about 87% of max for a 56 years old guy.

The other worry with the deeper carbon rims was if there was a cross wind on the descent. The shallower aluminum rims would be less affected, and at 40-50mph getting pushed around by a cross wind would not have been fun. I will say the 18miles downhill is a well earned reward.

Attachment 2773Attachment 2774

Bob, big congrats on the tough ride, well done! When I went up the mountain Acadia, my avg heart rate was 172, or around 90% of max, avg grade of around 5-6%, max grade IIRC was <9%. Like I said, I'm a hill slug! You put up great numbers, my friend!

Call my a nervous nilly, but I'd be worried of the carbon clinchers on downhills. There's a thread on roadbikereview.com dedicated to this topic and there was post not too long ago.

Great job, again, Bob!!!

Allen

Nicely done Bob! One thing about getting old that stinks is that we worry about the "what ifs" and lose that "throw caution to the wind" attitude of our younger years. I sure wouldn't have put on the carbon wheels either.

I hope you celebrated with a few ice cold "recovery drinks"!
    Doug

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    Well, I did it! I got up that bloody mountain without stopping. I didn't make my goal of under 2 hours (2:07) but not stopping on the way up was a big deal for me. Perfect day, clear skies, temps in upper 50's / low 60's.

At the last minute on Saturday, just before heading off to catch the ferry across the sound, I decided to swap out my carbon fiber wheels for my aluminum rims. Both wheel sets weigh about the same, but I had a moment of hesitation thinking about the decent on my carbon clinchers. I've heard some stories, though I think they are mostly urban legends, regarding carbon clinchers and steep descents with lots of breaking. At it turned out I would have been just fine as my descending/cornering skills are better than ever and I was hardly on the breaks at all. But... I forgot to add a wheel magnet so while my time was accurate grade and distance were computed by the Garmin. Maximum grade 11.8%, average grade 8.3%, distance 18 miles. Average heart rate 157, or about 87% of max for a 56 years old guy.

The other worry with the deeper carbon rims was if there was a cross wind on the descent. The shallower aluminum rims would be less affected, and at 40-50mph getting pushed around by a cross wind would not have been fun. I will say the 18miles downhill is a well earned reward.

Attachment 2773Attachment 2774
    Looks like a gorgeous spot Bob! Congrats on making it! That is a real accomplishment and a well deserved reward.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks for the kind words y'all. Much appreciated. Once I had a moment to catch my breath, I was able to pose for the obligatory "pro shot".
    Attachment 2787

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

What a view!
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Challenged myself yesterday... WA St Time Trial Championships. 40K on a mostly flat course, with a long stretch of 1% grade, and a couple short little hills, and some headwinds. Rough surface on about 16K was new chip seal, so it was a bumpy ride. Found out I have a ton of training to do if I want to get better at time trialing. Its been over 30 years since I did an "official" time trial, and I haven't seen where I stand in the ranking of guys over 50, but very likely DFL (dead f'ing last) with a time of 1:09:08. Still, for me, that is 21.57mph over 40K. And without doing any real training for the event, other than my hard and fast efforts this summer and spinning classes in the winter and spring.

Now the goal will be to see if I can't improve on that time even though I turn 56 in a month. I expect with some dedicated training towards improving I can get another couple miles per hour, but not without beaucoup hard work. And the 50+ category includes former pro, cat 1,2,3,4,5 riders, so I'm lumped in with guys who may have been extremely competitive in their day. And Ironman contestants. So no illusions of being at the top of that heap, but I'd sure like to finish in the top 10. (There were 23 in the old 'dude field on Sunday.)

That's a nice speed, Bob, and for 40K, too! Congrats! I find bumpy rides slow me down tremendously. I can do that speed but only for a few miles, not 40K.

I haven't been rising regularly the last month due to long hours at work and fairly busy weekends. Went for a 27mile ride y'day and had a tough time going up an 8% hill for 1/2 mile. Building up takes long, but decline is swift.. Can't wait to get back to my routine.

Challenged myself yesterday... WA St Time Trial Championships. 40K on a mostly flat course, with a long stretch of 1% grade, and a couple short little hills, and some headwinds. Rough surface on about 16K was new chip seal, so it was a bumpy ride. Found out I have a ton of training to do if I want to get better at time trialing. Its been over 30 years since I did an "official" time trial, and I haven't seen where I stand in the ranking of guys over 50, but very likely DFL (dead f'ing last) with a time of 1:09:08. Still, for me, that is 21.57mph over 40K. And without doing any real training for the event, other than my hard and fast efforts this summer and spinning classes in the winter and spring.

Now the goal will be to see if I can't improve on that time even though I turn 56 in a month. I expect with some dedicated training towards improving I can get another couple miles per hour, but not without beaucoup hard work. And the 50+ category includes former pro, cat 1,2,3,4,5 riders, so I'm lumped in with guys who may have been extremely competitive in their day. And Ironman contestants. So no illusions of being at the top of that heap, but I'd sure like to finish in the top 10. (There were 23 in the old 'dude field on Sunday.)
    Nice ride there Bob, 35 kph over 40k is nothing to be ashamed of. Always remember that when you DFL'd you did not DNF, also it turns out you are better than 99% of the general population so kudos to you.
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    Nice ride there Bob, 35 kph over 40k is nothing to be ashamed of. Always remember that when you DFL'd you did not DNF, also it turns out you are better than 99% of the general population so kudos to you.
    Thanks for the kind words Dan, much appreciated. The fastest guy in the 50+ age category beat everyone in the 35-50 group, Cat 1,2,3,4,5. He was only bested by six riders all in the PRO, Cat 1, Cat 2 group. Which totally blows my mind... how the hell did he do that? Or, Who the hell is that guy? (Or, where does he get his performance enhancing drugs?) That guys time was 53:30 or 44.85kph. If I could get to a point where I can knock on the door of a 1 hour 40K that would please the hell out of me. But realistically, I also know the training effort that would be involved.

HOWEVER... my sweet wife is now interviewing for a position in Portland, OR. If it is in God's plan, we'll be finding a new home in the Portland area. Wifey says she really wants me to retire if she gets this position, so I would certainly have the opportunity to actually become more fit than when I was a college kid racing casually with a local club. I may have to find a part time gig in an audio store!

And, I wasn't DFL. Thank goodness.

Thanks for the kind words Dan, much appreciated. The fastest guy in the 50+ age category beat everyone in the 35-50 group, Cat 1,2,3,4,5. He was only bested by six riders all in the PRO, Cat 1, Cat 2 group. Which totally blows my mind... how the hell did he do that? Or, Who the hell is that guy? (Or, where does he get his performance enhancing drugs?) That guys time was 53:30 or 44.85kph. If I could get to a point where I can knock on the door of a 1 hour 40K that would please the hell out of me. But realistically, I also know the training effort that would be involved.

HOWEVER... my sweet wife is now interviewing for a position in Portland, OR. If it is in God's plan, we'll be finding a new home in the Portland area. Wifey says she really wants me to retire if she gets this position, so I would certainly have the opportunity to actually become more fit than when I was a college kid racing casually with a local club. I may have to find a part time gig in an audio store!

And, I wasn't DFL. Thank goodness.
    Got your answer right there about your "fasters guys" performance, you get the results based on the effort you put in. This is not discounting genetics and PED's. I have DFL in the past and not ashame of it although I would have like to do better. For me it's a race against my prior best effort and nothing else.

Be nice to be a stay at home train till you drop "pool guy" for your wife!
    Dan

I was able to get out and put in a 22 mile ride tonight first time in a few weeks it hasn't rained after work.
    Regards Dave
    VPI Classic 3, Shelter 501mk2, Sutherland 20/20

Well, it looks like I will soon have opportunity to learn a bunch of new routes. Wifey accepted a new position in Portland, OR so we are on our way south this morning to begin the search for a new home. Ugh! This might be happening really fast too as her company, it seems, is willing to pay market price for our current home. Audio room accommodation is high on the list of any place we buy.

Bob, you are one lucky man! She sounds like a very special lady.

Well, it looks like I will soon have opportunity to learn a bunch of new routes. Wifey accepted a new position in Portland, OR so we are on our way south this morning to begin the search for a new home. Ugh! This might be happening really fast too as her company, it seems, is willing to pay market price for our current home. Audio room accommodation is high on the list of any place we buy.
    You have your priorities on right, good sir!

My wife and I were thinking where we would like to retire when we get to that point. Portland is definitely on the list. Feels like it has a great vibe about it. A lot of great music comes out of that area. I'm sure you will love it!

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Bob, you are one lucky man! She sounds like a very special lady.

You have your priorities on right, good sir!

My wife and I were thinking where we would like to retire when we get to that point. Portland is definitely on the list. Feels like it has a great vibe about it. A lot of great music comes out of that area. I'm sure you will love it!
    Thanks for the kind words. I am blessed to have the love of a wonderful woman, blessed far more than I deserve!

We traveled to Portland for the weekend, driving around to get a feel for the lay of the land. Unfortunately my wife's career will have her smack in the center of downtown, so the commute will be a huge factor in finding a home. We are blessed currently to live on the edge of the suburbs, and her commute to the office is ~30 minutes normally. But that is a commute into Bellevue, WA, not into downtown Seattle, so she's spoiled in that regard. We have a great Craftsman style home on 1.5 acres, with 3 other homes in our little cul-de-sac. The development is 8 acres so we have room between the houses. I'm not much of a city guy, and my wife really isn't either. We like the quiet and peaceful nature of our home. We've been here 13.5 years. I proposed on top of the water feature in our backyard.

Attachment 2939

So driving around Portland, and learning the commute is one of the most unpredictable in the country, we came away a bit discouraged. We've also been blessed with "resources" so we can stretch economically on a home, but there is a point where it doesn't make sense for just 2 people. And builders, of course, are crazy in that they'll put 4000+ sq ft. homes right next to each other. And we're accustomed to a certain level of "nice" and you don't tend to find that in a smaller place. (Plus, the audio room accommodation is not a trivial requirement. Currently I can listen @90+ db and my sweetie can be downstairs watching TV without being disturbed. I don't think we want to give that up.)

Northwest of Portland is not the way the development has gone. Instead, of course, mostly south along the Interstate 5 corridor. So to the NW you get pretty rural within 20 miles. This is more to my liking, away from the madness but still with a nice, modern home, and reasonable drive time. And we just might get a small condo in the city for those times the wife needs to work late or get in early. Or, if she needs to dash off somewhere for a quick wardrobe change.

So, while we were feeling a lot of anxiety about the collision of commute time vs home location, we do both like the area. Not too much different from the Seattle area, but just a wee bit warmer summers, just a few more sunny days. Bike riding is very popular, and we ran into a couple teams out training while were were checking out homes. I did a "ride with GPS" route from one of the homes for sale, and made a quick 20 mile loop. The elevation gain over the route was a brutal 3000'. My time trialing should get better if I can click that loop off in a hurry!

Good luck with the house hunting Bob. All you can do is keep looking and hopefully the right one will present itself to you.
    Doug

I've been averaging about 60 miles a week over the summer. It's really helped having someone to ride with and make you get out on those days when you could easily talk yourself into staying home or doing something else. Unfortunately my riding partner moved to Bend last week so I'll be out grinding the gravel roads by myself again. I'm amazed at how quickly the rides go when there's someone else there to push you along.
    Doug

Best of luck in Portland Bob. The waterfall will be hard to leave behind, have a hanky ready for the wife. Don't go short on the audio room.

I've been using the Strava app on my phone to track my rides all summer. So far I've put in 773 miles with all but roughly 60 miles being done since June. I'm hoping to hit 1000 miles by the end of Sept. I really need to get a Garmin for my bike so that I can be more accurate since it will always be with me. I'm a lot closer to 1K because I didn't take my phone along early in the year. I may not be the fastest, strongest or go the farthest, but I'm out there doing it.

All you guys out there putting in miles in any and every type of weather, take a moment and give yourself a pat on the back. You deserve it!
    Doug

Nice riding there Doug. Getting in miles is always a joy, some days more than others, but always good to be out moving taking a bite out of life! Where do you live?

And your comment on riding in any weather reminds me of one of the "rules": Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period. Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Sadly, I've been off the bike a couple weeks myself. This moving thing is heating up and I'm flying south to Portland in the morning for another day of house hunting. Then Friday I will be with my wife for more house hunting. A great many of the homes in the Portland area have high pitched roofs, with dormers. Which means the "bonus rooms" in those houses make shitty music rooms as the ceiling slopes in from the sides, rather than have a cathedral ceiling. I'm a tall guy, so sloped ceilings reduce the usable space considerably. So many homes that might otherwise be good candidates are being eliminated due to lack of music room options. If we find the right place I can convert a garage bay if I have to, but would prefer not to have to create a room from scratch.

So you guys who can get out and ride... please sprint to a traffic sign or attach the next hill in my honor. I'll be back on the bike, hopefully, before the weather turns.

I haven't ridden in a while, so I set up my bicycle on my Kreitler rollers and spun for an hour while listening to music to get back into the program.
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MEN220, MCD500, MR78-Modafferi modified, MPI4, MC602 (2), Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-E, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2), NO TV!

Bob, good luck with your continued search for a house. There's one out there with your name on it.

I live in Michigan in a (very) small town right on Lake Michigan. There aren't too many hills here but I can get some decent elevation. I do most of my riding on country roads, paved and unpaved. What I lack as far as places to go and things to do of an urban area I make up for in uncongested roads for riding. That suits me just fine at this point in time.

Today's supposed to be sunny with a high right around 70. I'll be thinking good thoughts for your house hunting while I'm out riding!

Gary, nice work with the rollers. I love mine. They're are the next best thing when you aren't able to get out and ride. Just be careful and don't run into the wall in front off you!
    Doug

Great to see some posts in this thread again. My riding has been very erratic given my schedule (weekend work, vacations, gear hunting, etc). Doug, good on you mate for getting out and riding regularly.

Have a spare Garmin if you'd like to try. It's the flaky one I posted earlier? Used it again while I was in Maine and it worked flawlessly. Maybe the moisture dried up inside? Don't know, but either way LMK. Think I have a spare mount, too.

Bob, good luck house hunting. As Doug says, I'm sure you will find the perfect one that fits all your needs.

Allen

Great to see some posts in this thread again. My riding has been very erratic given my schedule (weekend work, vacations, gear hunting, etc). Doug, good on you mate for getting out and riding regularly.

Have a spare Garmin if you'd like to try. It's the flaky one I posted earlier? Used it again while I was in Maine and it worked flawlessly. Maybe the moisture dried up inside? Don't know, but either way LMK. Think I have a spare mount, too.

Bob, good luck house hunting. As Doug says, I'm sure you will find the perfect one that fits all your needs.
    Allen, hopefully things will slow down work wise and allow you to get out for a ride now and then. I just have to get out while the weather is good (meaning no snow) because once that white stuff starts to fall it's pretty much over until the spring. I do get out a few times during the winter but not enough to keep my fitness level where I like it.

If you want to send the Garmin out my way I'll give it a try. That's a very nice gesture. Do you still have my address?
    Doug

I was got out yesterday morning did 30 miles with a friend. It's been hard to get rides in this summer seeing its been raining every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Regards Dave

I was able to get out and ride again today after work. It was a little windy but all in all a good ride.
    Regards Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gooch View Post
    I was able to get out and ride again today after work. It was a little windy but all in all a good ride.
    Keep on rolling Dave! What's the weather been like down your way?
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Keep on rolling Dave! What's the weather been like down your way?
    Hi Doug
    It's been pretty nice last few days this summer we pretty much have had those Florida afternoon thunder storms really killed my after work rides. How about where your at.
    Regards Dave

We had a great summer here in Michigan. The 90 degree days were few and far between and the rain came early on and has been pretty non-existent since August. We did have a nice downpour yesterday morning though. It's nice to finally be able to put in some miles.
    Doug

IM WI BIKE copy.jpg

This was one half of the bikes in the transition area for IM WI. Long day on the bike. Steady head wind for the last 70 plus miles but overall a great day. I finished my first IM in 15:03
    Industry Disclosure: Owner Epiphanic Audio. Bespoke 2 channel resource in Virginia Beach VA. Dealer for darTZeel and other great brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Etunes View Post

This was one half of the bikes in the transition area for IM WI. Long day on the bike. Steady head wind for the last 70 plus miles but overall a great day. I finished my first IM in 15:03
    Wow! Congrats on your first IM. 70 miles with a headwind, no thanks. You're a monster!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
    IM WI BIKE copy.jpg

You have my greatest respect, anybody who can finish a full Ironman as succeded in doing what only 1% of the population can do. Out of my league thats for sure...... Congrats!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    You have my greatest respect, anybody who can finish a full Ironman as succeded in doing what only 1% of the population can do. Out of my league thats for sure...... Congrats!
    +1
    That's a great achievement I done a few sprint triathlons that's nothing to an IM and all the training that goes into it
    Regards Dave

Congrats, Etunes! That's a huge achievement! Respect!

Allen

Get on your bike and ride just got back did 34 miles it was hot hot hot out. I am on strava if anyone else is and wants to follow each others progress just pm me I get you my info.

Regards Dave

I rode 28 miles Monday and 40 yesterday. Leaving me to do 22 between today and tomorrow to get to 1000 for the summer. All but a handful of those miles were done between the middle of May and now. I think this has been the most riding that I've done in a summer to date.

My legs were stiff yesterday since I don't usually go out on consecutive days. It took me about 15 miles to get things going! I'm hoping to get the 22 in today but rain is in the forecast. If I can get out before the rain starts all is good. I don't mind riding in the rain as long as it's not raining when I leave.

Of course I just heard thunder...
    Doug

Keep on ridin', Doug! I've been doing light miles myself as I've been working on weekends and my schedule has been super erratic.

Doug, the Garmin is packed (w mount). I just haven't had a chance to mail it out yet. Been swamped at work! It'll go out by this weekend, sir.

cheers

Allen

Keep on ridin', Doug! I've been doing light miles myself as I've been working on weekends and my schedule has been super erratic.

Doug, the Garmin is packed (w mount). I just haven't had a chance to mail it out yet. Been swamped at work! It'll go out by this weekend, sir.

cheers
    Thanks Allen, I did 26 today and made it to my 1000 mark! I have some things going on that will keep me from riding for a while so I wanted to reach my goal before summers end. Which means that the Garmin will get here just at the right time. How many times can I thank you my friend?!!!

Life will always get in the way off the things we really want to do, but there will come a time when you'll be able to accomplish some of those goals. The key is to savor the moment, knowing that it won't last forever...
    Doug

Congrats my friend! That is awesome!! Feels great when you hit one of your goals, doesn't it? Just inspires you to get out and ride even more!

Allen

I rode 30 yesterday and included a hill in the ride that had been taunting me for awhile. Felt good during and after.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    I rode 30 yesterday and included a hill in the ride that had been taunting me for awhile. Felt good during and after.
    Nice! Hills remind me of Rule #10:

Rule #10

It never gets easier, you just go faster.

As this famous quote by Greg LeMan tells us, training, climbing, and racing is hard. It stays hard. To put it another way, per Greg Henderson: “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
    Doug

Rule #10

As this famous quote by Greg LeMan tells us, training, climbing, and racing is hard. It stays hard. To put it another way, per Greg Henderson: “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
    I've always liked that quote. Very fitting for climbing hills.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Rule #10

Haha, great quote, Doug!!

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    Awesome, Anthony! I did a somewhat hilly ride this past weekend myself. It was good punishment for my lazy a@@.

Allen

That was a great quote no ride yesterday it rained

Regards Dave

I finally got back on the bike today after almost two weeks off. I was chomping at the bit to get back out there. Had a good 27 mile ride through apple country. The trees are still loaded with them. I hope to get back out tomorrow for some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doug

Sounds like a great ride, Doug! I always find I'm a little slower or can't get as longer if I had a two week vacation from cycling. Build up is very slow, but decline is very swift for me. Nice riding and hope you get back out there again today!

Allen

Allen, you are so right about the decline. It takes no time at all!

I did get out on Friday for another 25. I did some exploring on some roads never ridden and it was a nice time just cruising along.

I can't remember if it was this thread or another that we were talking about hydration but my views have changed since I was able to get out so much this summer. I tried a new drink mix called Skratch. It was developed by a nutritionist that worked with team Garmin. It's all natural and uses real fruit for flavoring. It's not sugary or sickly sweet like others I've tried. I bit more pricey but I don't use a lot. Apparently this guy realized that he finally got the formula right when the riders stopped complaining about it!

So anyway, I use one bottle of this and one bottle of just plain water on my rides now. I'm hydrated and feel really good afterwards instead of being a bit sluggish an ready for a nap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doug

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Did you ride today?