Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Chops' Current System Pics ....

Some of these pics were taken within a few days of this post, and some taken today. The full system profile is listed below in my signature. I always shoot for equipment that performs above its price point, and I am quite pleased with this system in its current state. It packs a nice punch and could possibly compete with systems costing 2 to 3 times as much. I know, I've heard some. Not that I'm in competition with anyone. If anything, I'm in competition with the ole' mighty dollar to gain the biggest bang for my buck.

And one upgrade that I think is going to be happening soon is replacing the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge with a Bronze. Hopefully sooner than later.

Anyway, on with some pics...

And the messy, business end with the little W4S Recovery USB Reclocker hiding back there...
    Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

Audioshark

re: Chops' Current System Pics ....

Very nice! How are you doing the sub integration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Very nice! How are you doing the sub integration?

Thanks Mike.

The Parasound Halo P5 has a built-in analog, fully adjustable crossover. I have the mains crossed over at 60 Hz and the subs crossed over at 70 Hz. Makes for a seamless blend. Plus you can adjust the sub(s) output via a front panel level control on the P5. The subs output is mono, but you could never tell. It works perfectly!
    Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

Audioshark

Nice. I've always really liked Parasound gear. Well designed. Sounds great.

Have you fiddled much with the crossover points? Seems good, but just curious.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nice. I've always really liked Parasound gear. Well designed. Sounds great.

Have you fiddled much with the crossover points? Seems good, but just curious.

Yeah, the Halo P5 is a great sounding unit. That's why I'm using these old Polk subs. I bought them years ago and only used them for movies because they sucked with music. Horribly sucked. So much so that they sat unused in the closet for the past 4 years! However, running them through the Halo, they're quite musical! I was going to start saving for a pair of REL subs, but have held off for now since these are doing so well.

As for crossover points, I haven't messed with them too much. I first had them both set at around 40 Hz and seemed alright, but was lacking presence and punch, so I raised the mains up to 60 Hz and the subs to 70 Hz. They seem to be pretty good now. And the way this room is laid out, the gain on the left sub is up around a "normal" level and the right one is set rather low, the reason being that the left sub has no corner for reinforcement, just a hallway behind it. The left sub actually puts out the really low bass at the listening seat and the right puts out more of the upper, punchy bass. If you go too far with the gain on the right sub, it just gets boomy and overpowering.

If you have any suggestions for crossover points, I'm all ears. I'm sure it could be fine tuned some more. I just haven't messed with it too much yet. Been too busy buying other goodies and playing with them. LOL

Very nice and clean system.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Very nice and clean system.

My thoughts too...so neat and clean..
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Those crossover points sound right for your setup. Any further fine tuning to the role off would be in that range.

Smart setup.

Speakeasy

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments. Either tomorrow or this weekend, I might be tearing it down and redoing all of the wiring. It's a bit of a mess back there.

Steve, WRT the crossover points, I think you're right. I can tweak it a little here and there, but don't think there will be much to gain. It won't hurt to try though.

Beautiful system. I have a monitor/sub combo myself.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Congrats on a sweet setup
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Beautiful system. I have a monitor/sub combo myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Congrats on a sweet setup
    Thanks guys!

Al, for the longest time, I had stuck with fullrange tower speakers, being blinded by the fact that in my situation, they were fullrange enough for me not to need subwoofers in my system. For the most part, this was true. The NHT 2.9's that I still have but am letting my brother use in his HT system, do not need a sub at all, nor did those big Polk RTi12's. Even the Monitor Audio Bronze BR6's don't really need subs when given enough power.

What I had lost in using towers though was the disappearing act of small monitor speakers, producing a good sound stage and better imaging. Now that I have some really decent monitors, I don't think I'll go back to towers. If anything, if I were to upgrade to larger floor standing speakers again, they would be either Maggies or Quad ESL's.

Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    Thanks guys!

Al, for the longest time, I had stuck with fullrange tower speakers, being blinded by the fact that in my situation, they were fullrange enough for me not to need subwoofers in my system. For the most part, this was true. The NHT 2.9's that I still have but am letting my brother use in his HT system, do not need a sub at all, nor did those big Polk RTi12's. Even the Monitor Audio Bronze BR6's don't really need subs when given enough power.

What I had lost in using towers though was the disappearing act of small monitor speakers, producing a good sound stage and better imaging. Now that I have some really decent monitors, I don't think I'll go back to towers. If anything, if I were to upgrade to larger floor standing speakers again, they would be either Maggies or Quad ESL's.
    Hi chops,

yes, the disappearing act is much harder to accomplish with floor standers, even though under optimal circumstances it can be done with the best of them. Yet also I cannot imagine ever jumping off the monitor train. You have to spend a whole lot of money on floor standers that image as well as monitors, and even then set-up can be a pain, which I personally do not want to subject myself to (if the set-up of large speakers that in principle can image well is just a bit sub-optimal, you still hear the sound emanating from the speakers, rather than having them disappear). I also want to preserve the freedom that I have with monitors/subs to adjust bass output depending on recording; the bass content simply varies too much between recordings (especially with rock and jazz that can be a nuisance). My dream speakers would be Magico Q1, but also these are monitors (my own monitors are Ensemble Reference which I have since 25 years).

Some people think that the soundstage from monitors cannot be large, and that sub integration cannot be seamless, but both these things are not true at all. Many audiophiles just do not have sufficient experience with a monitor/sub set-up to overcome their prejudices through audio reality. And bass can be fantastic through a monitor/sub combo, with lots of weight and punch (from upper through mid to low bass), even on heavy rock.

Can monitors create a soundstage as enormous as large speakers in an optimal room? No. But first, most audiophiles do not have the optimal rooms needed to create that enormous soundstage, and second, the soundstage from monitors can, even though not being the largest possible, be very large indeed.

Great post Al. I've lived with most kind of speakers & the monitors with subs are very, very, hard to beat.

Well, I did it... I just ordered this little gem! That means the Luxman in the bedroom system will be getting the 2M Red.

A little update. The Nakamichi RX-303 is now moved to the bedroom system, and the rest of the gear moved around some cable management done...

I never been a fan of TV in the music room but your set up looks so good I can live with it Chops' Current System Pics ....Chops' Current System Pics ....

Paul

Thank you, Paul. I know what you mean, but since we live in an apartment, I don't have much of a choice. One day though...

Charles, just hang a blanket on the tv when critical listening, does make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Charles, just hang a blanket on the tv when critical listening, does make a difference.
    Kev, the way this room is laid out, I'm not too sure that would make any difference. The right wall where the sliding glass door is, the wall just past that jets out into the room by 3 feet, right along side my listening seat. That puts that wall about 2 feet away from my right ear, yet the left wall is roughly 8 feet away and then opens up into the kitchen/dining area, about another 8 feet away. Not to mention, the vaulted ceiling is 8 feet high on the right and 15 feet high on the left.

I'm amazed I get the sound I get in this room, but I doubt covering up the TV will do any good. Plus, my girlfriend already thinks I'm loony with my stereo habits. If she sees me draping a blanket over the TV, she'll think I lost it! LOL

Thanks Mike.

The Parasound Halo P5 has a built-in analog, fully adjustable crossover. I have the mains crossed over at 60 Hz and the subs crossed over at 70 Hz. Makes for a seamless blend. Plus you can adjust the sub(s) output via a front panel level control on the P5. The subs output is mono, but you could never tell. It works perfectly!
    Given the vagaries of bass integration, I wish more amp manufacturers adopted this design approach. Getting crossover done in the analog domain all in one unit seems very smart. Then you can disconnect the low end from the mains to optimize placement within the room's constraints. Locating the bass in the same box with the rest of the frequency spectrum has always seemed definitionally imperfect to me. Can you adjust the slope of the filters in the P5?

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Given the vagaries of bass integration, I wish more amp manufacturers adopted this design approach. Getting crossover done in the analog domain all in one unit seems very smart. Then you can disconnect the low end from the mains to optimize placement within the room's constraints. Locating the bass in the same box with the rest of the frequency spectrum has always seemed definitionally imperfect to me. Can you adjust the slope of the filters in the P5?
    Paul, I agree. All preamps should provide analog crossover options of some sort. The one in the P5 ranges between 20-140 Hz for high and low pass, at a -12dB slope, and can also be completely bypassed. One thing I wish Parasound did with the P5's subwoofer output was keep it stereo instead of having two mono outputs. But really, even at 70 Hz where I have them set, you can't tell that they are playing in mono. In fact, it just seems as though the bass is coming straight from the mains. It is nice that they put the subwoofer gain up front too. Though I almost never touch it. Kind of a set and forget type thing really.

Several years back I bought my very first preamp, an old Accuphase C-200 in mint shape. After I went through it and replaced/updated/upgraded the caps, a few resistors and diodes, it was an excellent sounding unit with a very good phono stage. I eventually sold it. A little over a year ago, I purchased a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr. Another great sounding preamp, but it had way too much gain as I barely had to touch the volume and the system would be blasting. That and it had blinding blue LED's on it. After that, I got a McIntosh C15. It was alright sounding but had channel balance and noise issues, so I got rid of that.

Long story short, ever since I started shopping around for preamps (right before I got the Musical Fidelity), I was looking at the P5, but decided against it twice because I "wanted something better". Well, I never knew it at the time, but the P5 was and IS the better sounding preamp out of all of them. I should have gone with it right from the beginning. I would have saved a lot of time and money if I had. Oh well, you live and learn.

Kev, the way this room is laid out, I'm not too sure that would make any difference. The right wall where the sliding glass door is, the wall just past that jets out into the room by 3 feet, right along side my listening seat. That puts that wall about 2 feet away from my right ear, yet the left wall is roughly 8 feet away and then opens up into the kitchen/dining area, about another 8 feet away. Not to mention, the vaulted ceiling is 8 feet high on the right and 15 feet high on the left.

I'm amazed I get the sound I get in this room, but I doubt covering up the TV will do any good. Plus, my girlfriend already thinks I'm loony with my stereo habits. If she sees me draping a blanket over the TV, she'll think I lost it! LOL
    Only do it when she's watching something on the telly

A couple more updates... Mounted and aligned the 2M Bronze, which I might add sounds pretty darn good! I had to adjust the azimuth as well. I didn't quite notice it being off with the Red cart, but with the lighter colored Bronze cart, I could more easily see the azimuth off in the reflection on LP's. Also finally got around to getting some shelving for my quickly growing vinyl collection. Quickly growing because I just purchased 61 albums in the past 5 days!

Nice looking there with the new cartridge! Very nice layout there Charles, love the look of your SF....
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thank you, Randy! It's all coming along nicely, and that Bronze cartridge is breaking in wonderfully. It's a huge step up over the Red. I put the Red on the Technics in the bedroom system for Teresa to use. She loves it!

Nice... I am looking at some amps... might end up getting some Nord amps.... some really great reviews and reports on them here on AS....
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Great photos Charles!

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Nice... I am looking at some amps... might end up getting some Nord amps.... some really great reviews and reports on them here on AS....
    Sending you a PM shortly...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Great photos Charles!
    Thanks, Steve! Can you believe the first three photos were taken with my Sony DSLR, and the last three taken with my Samsung Note 5 phone?! Other than depth of field, you can't really tell the two apart.

Since adding a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze to my analog setup I have a renewed respect for Ortofon!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Since adding a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze to my analog setup I have a renewed respect for Ortofon!
    Mark, my lowly 2M Bronze is a far cry from your Cadenza Bronze, but I know what you mean. Mine is leaps and bounds above the standard Red, which wasn't too shabby on its own.

Awesome!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Something has changed in the system...

Martin Logan? Brothers?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Martin Logan? Brothers?
    Yup! The SL3's. And yup again, from one of my brothers.

Nice! Still breaking in the ST-500 mkII... So many things I like about it, but the Goldmund is very sweet ...

So how do you like the Martin Logans?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Nice! Still breaking in the ST-500 mkII... So many things I like about it, but the Goldmund is very sweet ...

So how do you like the Martin Logans?
    So far so good I think. I really haven't been able to sit and listen to them yet. Dinner was ready shortly after install them, so that means the TV came on. We watched a little TV, then put on that old movie "Blink" with Madeleine Stowe which doesn't have much in the way of slam or anything. After that, a documentary about Twisted Sister. I just woke up a little while ago on the couch alone with Netflix asking me if I was still watching. LOL

I put Tidal on and have the latest album from the Yellowjackets playing at whisper levels. Sounds pretty good actually. One thing I noticed right away, they are considerably more efficient than the Sonus. Anyway, I'm headed to the sack.

So did you trade with your brother for a bit or do you still have the Sonus there to do direct comparisons?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Nah, the Sonus are tucked away safely in our daughter's room, and my brother has a pair of ML ElectroMotion ESL's that he's using in his main system. He's tried selling the SL3's but no one wants to pay his asking price around here, and he's not going to give them away. So instead, he's keeping them and asked me if I wanted to try them out since he has my NHT 2.9's for the past year or more in his HT system.

That's why I still have the NHT's as well. I was asking $700 for them which is a steal, and all I got was a couple offers for $250 and $300 around here locally. I told those clowns to go jump in a lake. I'll just keep them, or rather my brother will. Haha

So in a sense, it is a long term trade, but not with the Sonus.

So I got a little something in the mail today, a pair of Blue Circle Audio PLC Pucks. I have one plugged in on each side of the system. The right one has one Martin Logan and the Wyred 4 Sound amp plugged into, the left the other Martin Logan and APC H15 power conditioner that the rest of the system is connected to.

These little things are amazing! A little wider, deeper sound stage, complete blackness in the silence of the music, absolute dead silence with me ears right up against the ML's panels, even with the volume turn up the 12 o'clock position. And there's something I'm either hearing or not hearing that I just can't describe. Whatever it is that I'm witnessing, I know I like it a lot! These little ugly Pucks (which I actually like the looks of in a strange sort of way) have made a huge improvement in the overall sound of my system. And this is only with them installed for the past two hours!

Naturally, some pics...

Super Moderator

Very cool Charles!

I need the check them out.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Very cool Charles!

I need the check them out.

Thanks Joe!

Yes, you should check them out. One of my brothers has the 6-outlet PLC Thingie, and it has even more of the same filtering built-in, and we noticed great improvements in his system as well. I'll eventually get more of their products, but I'm more busy trying to get larger $$$ items at the moment.

My Current System Pics...

Nice. I like how neat is your place is.

How you like the ML speakers so far compare to old ones ?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Nice. I like how neat is your place is.

How you like the ML speakers so far compare to old ones ?

Thank you Paul for the kind words!

As for the Martin's compared to the Sonus', there's no comparison. Surprisingly, they are both somewhat similar in tonality, but the ML's have the ability to simply disappear when you close your eyes. They also paint a much larger and deeper picture. Their sound stage is extremely wide, tall and deep, but never over-exaggerated. Imaging is also much better than the SF's. The ML's also interact a lot less with the room than the SF's did. And of course, with the ML's, there's no need for separate subwoofers which eliminates some clutter in the room.

Don't get me wrong. The SF's are excellent and I love them, but they do have their limits. In the end, there's just no way a little 6" cone and 1.25" dome can compare with the surface area of these 12" x 48" panels.

Another update after all of these months...

I sold the Sonus Faber bookshelf speakers shortly after the last post here. Then, after a LOT listening, both with music and movies, I made up my mind that I didn't want to give these speakers back to my brother at some point, so I bought them! And I have no intentions in selling them either, just like my NHT 2.9's.

I also acquired an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 subwoofer from my brother. We installed it late at night, so I was playing them quietly as the kids bedrooms are right down the hallway from my system. As I got it to the point of being pretty much dialed in, we sat back on the couch for a listen. I had the ML's still playing fullrange and had the sub set to I think the lowest crossover point it can go along with the crossover on the P5 preamp (using both crossovers together gets you a steeper roll-off). About 5 minutes into it, we started hearing a bunch of distortion that really sounded a lot more like static. It started quietly and got louder and louder. Within 10 seconds or so, it was pretty darn loud and I noticed smoke coming from the sub, right out of the port! I yanked the power cord out and that was it... Now it's been sitting there for the past 5 months or more, dead. I contacted Outlaw and they said they would sell me a new replacement amp, but then something else came up... I bought a brand new Nissan 370Z! LOL

Since buying the 370Z in late May, I have been dumping money into it left and right, just because. It's brand new and didn't need anything, but if you know me, you know I can't leave a car stock for long. Within two weeks, I had the windows tinted, an axle back exhaust, wheel spacers, GT-R start button and map light lenses, and functional side marker repeaters. The next month a custom made, hand made, hand laid carbon fiber front lip spoiler straight out of Japan. The following month a new fully adjustable clutch pedal assembly. Next month a full polished stainless cat-back exhaust. The next month polished stainless test pipes to replace the stock catalytic converters. Next month a cold air intake and ECU tuner. Then just a few weeks ago, replaced the heavy stock 18" base wheels with stock lighter, stronger 19" Nismo wheels with brand new Continental meats that I ordered from TireRack. Next will be some suspension goodies. If anyone is interested in the progression of the 370Z over the past months, here's the link where it all started in the "Let's see your ride" thread here on the forum... Let's see your ride

So needless to say, since my system sounds great as is and I pretty much have everything I want, it hasn't changed at all, and all of my attention (and money) has been going into the car. LOL

A couple more updates...

After a recent thread started on here about tuners, I decided to reinstate my old Yamaha TX-540 just for the heck of it. Well, one thing led to another and within a few weeks, I purchased not one, but two "new" tuners. The first to come was a near mint Yamaha TX-1000U, pretty much the last of the best of Yamaha's offerings. About a week or so goes by, then I pick up a totally mint Carver TX-11a. Of course, I go overboard, I know. And to go along with these tuners, I purchased a couple of C.Crane FM Reflect coax dipole antennas (one of which is now connected the the also mint Sansui G-7000 receiver in our bedroom system), the other for the TX-1000U. I also bought a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna to use on the TX-11a.

As always, a few pics...

Hehe Chops... lookin good ... you have more black pieces than silver.... I knew I would win you over....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Charles,

Absolutely beautiful. Well done.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks Randy! The Carver doesn't really count because it's more of a gray. Also, the cable box doesn't count because I don't own it. LOL

Hehe Chops... lookin good ... you have more black pieces than silver.... I knew I would win you over....

Thanks Joe! I still need to design and build a new rack though. This one is starting to get a little crowded, plus its not the most stable thing.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Charles,

Absolutely beautiful. Well done.

Wow, I didn't realize I haven't updated this lately. There's a been a few uhh... Additional additions to the system...

The first piece of Carver equipment was the TX-11a tuner. Shortly after, I purchased a C-9 Sonic Holography processor. Shortly after that, I purchased an upgraded and highly modified (approved by Bob Carver himself) M-500t amplifier, now referred to as the M-500t MkII. And lastly, just in today, a fully updated and upgraded C-1 preamp, referred to as the BillD C-1, which I believe is also approved by Bob Carver.

The preamp has just been fixed up, so it only has about 15 hours on it so far, all new caps, resistors, opamps, etc, etc. It even has a remote volume control installed in it with an upgraded power supply and a removable power cord. And man, does this thing sound good! I'm very surprised and happy to say that it sounds (so far) considerably better than the Parasound Halo P5! And that's a tall order to fill!

Anyway, some pics...

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Chops' Current System Pics ....