Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Who has a Veggie Garden?

So who out here is doing the Veggie thing? My wife and I had grown a few Tomato and Pepper plants within a flower garden for years. Last year we decided to give the real deal a try. I shlepped out and bought a tiller, fencing, all the ingredients for the soil and many bags of licorice root mulch for the walkways.

We had a decent turnout last year and just got everything in for this year over the weekend.

In about 2 weeks, we can harvest the 75 heads of Garlic that was planted at Thanksgiving. They are at least double the size from our first try, but we also started with larger heads from Wegmans this time.

Also in are the following:

About 100 Onions - Red, White, and Yellow
    2 different Rhubarb plants
    15 Potato plants just for fun, not a serious plot but you get enough for a few meals of Home Fries.
    40 Green Onions (scallions)
    A full row of Peas (at least 100 individual plants climbing a fence)
    Lettuce - Black Seeded Simpson and Romain
    3 different types of Swiss Chard - Red, White, Green
    24 Pepper plants ranging from Cayenne, Jalapeno, Rainbow Bell, Red and Green Bell and Yellow Banana
    16 Tomato Plants - Orange, Yellow, Big Boy, Celebrity, Long Italian Paste, Yellow Cherries and Red Grape

Last thing to do is get the Soaker Hose all laid out and pinned down. I use a Timer set to 2 hours every other morning and that was one of the smartest things I did because it is hard to water a fully mature garden from around the edges and you are really not supposed to water the plants themselves all the time.

We try to keep it as organic as possible but that can be hard sometimes too. We also started the Compost Bin last year and that is getting full and will be ready to distribute at the end of the summer for next years planting.

What do you have growing? Pics to come.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Audioshark

Re: Who has a Veggie Garden?

We grow Tomatoes mostly. but, we have several fruit trees - orange, lemon and lime. The juice we get from the lemons is fabulous. One lemon from our trees produces more juice then 5 lemons from the store.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

We had relatives in FLA who had Orange trees and they were just awesome. Nothing like fresh juice. Thanks Mike.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    We had relatives in FLA who had Orange trees and they were just awesome. Nothing like fresh juice. Thanks Mike.
    No problem. The kids get a real kick out of it too. It's good for them to know where the fruit comes from, the care involved and the whole process. They love working the fruit squeezer too.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

That's a serious garden Brian. We did veggie gardening for a few years but the time needed to care for it wasn't there. We planted some edamane seeds in pots this year but that's it. I hope to get back into it though. If you're a reader, this is a good read:

Doug

Doug, I can tell you that last years Tomatoes may have cost me almost that each, but the initial investment is over so this year, maybe $20 a tomato
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

I planted my garden yesterday. While not quite on the same scale of yours Brian, it gives me more than enough fresh food for me. I have 9 tomato plants, 4 peppers, carrots, beans, kohlrabi, acorn squash, a few beets, cantaloupe, watermelon, zucchini, cabbage, cucumbers, dill, peas, and radishes. Since I live so far north, I've never had any luck growing cantaloupe and watermelons but I put some black plastic down this year to try and keep the ground warm. We will see how that works.

In addition to the veggies, I have a few blueberry bushes, a raspberry patch, a small patch of strawberries, and an apple tree. It's more than enough to keep me busy.
    Last edited by Matt715; May 28, 2013 at 01:59 PM.

The Harvest is beginning. This morning we picked and emptied a few hundred pea pods. Man they are so sweet you can just eat them right away without cooking. We have been eating Romain and Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce for a few weeks. By the time we get back from vacation, there will be some cherry tomatoes and a few peppers ready and it will be time to harvest the 75 heads of Garlic.

The onions and potatoes are a bit whimpy but it's all for fun.

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Harvested the Garlic over the weekend. They are not the largest of heads but it doesn't get any better or fresher. We made a batch of Chili using several of our peppers, scallions, onions and garlic and peas as well as a nice Swiss Chard pizza with the garlic and scallions.
    This is half of the 75 heads...

This is the last of the Pea harvest. Many went too far while we were away for the week...

And a shot of yours truly chopping everything up for the Chili...
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

I have herbs growing and some green beans tomatoes at done for the moment I have fruit trees too. Soon it will be time to start the wither crop. This is my first year trying to grow my own food I learned a lot.
    Regards Dave
    VPI Classic 3, Shelter 501mk2, Sutherland 20/20

Gooch, very cool. Growing your own is very rewarding. It may keep some of us alive in the future. Save your seeds also as they will be valuable.

I enjoyed my first full size tomato last night. A nice sweet Lemon Boy. Not too much seed and goo, just soft sweet yellow flesh. Our Orange/Yellow Cherries are ripening now also and the few we had were real good. Since we grew a whole double row of Scallions, they seem to find their way into many meals.

I had to yank several German Plumb Tomato plants due to early blight like leaf death. If it spreads, they all go. Getting ready to plant a row of bush beans and hoping it's not too late.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

I just read this thread's title and was totally curious; are there meat gardens?
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I just read this thread's title and was totally curious; are there meat gardens?
    Maybe if you are Lady Gaga, but it was to differentiate from Flower Gardens
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    Maybe if you are Lady Gaga, but it was to differentiate from Flower Gardens
    I thought of that after extensive thinking. ...After the fact; my post.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Who has a Veggie Garden?