Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 2097

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

I have heard of two other users who have had this same problem, multiple operations of the switch get it working again. Seems a strange problem since they are a high quality switch from a reputable manufacturer so maybe there was a bad batch? I wouldn't know if I have a bad switch because I've only ever switched the Nord off a handful of times since I installed it in my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex 54 View Post
    I have heard of two other users who have had this same problem, multiple operations of the switch get it working again. Seems a strange problem since they are a high quality switch from a reputable manufacturer so maybe there was a bad batch? I wouldn't know if I have a bad switch because I've only ever switched the Nord off a handful of times since I installed it in my system.

Colin replied my email with instruction how to fix the switch by removing the amp cover and pull it out. It works, but after turning on the amp and leaving it for few hours, the switch is back to "ON" position when i tried to turn it "OFF".

I wonder am i able to get a replacement switch to replace it or not.

Should be a simple parts swap. If he sends you a new switch with the wiring harness attached. It is probably held in the case with a lock nut on the inside of the case. Working on the inside of those amps is pretty simple.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

The Apollon buffer has a 47K input impedance so I would not rate it low.

I've seen the low noise Sonic Imagery circuit, it's an adaption of the Hypex designed input buffer with low input impedance and additional filtering to rein in the bandwidth of the 994. It would seem Colin's buffer is something else, he has maintained a high input impedance while retaining the low noise performance of the SI circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by mocenigo View Post
    The Apollon buffer has a 47K input impedance so I would not rate it low.
    So Apollon have not used the published Sonic Imagery input buffer circuit as you surmised? This makes the Apollon even more likely to be a Nord rip-off?

AFAIK they have their own design, derived from the one designed by Richard Oporto of Sonic Imagery.

So Apollon have not used the published Sonic Imagery input buffer circuit as you surmised? This makes the Apollon even more likely to be a Nord rip-off?

Quote Originally Posted by mocenigo View Post
    AFAIK they have their own design, derived from the one designed by Richard Oporto of Sonic Imagery.
    Same input impedance, same gain and same opamp choice, it's not rocket science the two circuits have got to be very similar?

Of course they are: but the overall scheme comes from the one posted on diyaudio by Richard. And it was for all to use. If you want to use a Burson or a Muse or a Dexa opamp you may. Sparkos and SI are offered as these are the most popular choices.

Same input impedance, same gain and same opamp choice, it's not rocket science the two circuits have got to be very similar?

Hello everyone!
    Standing in front of the amp selection, options Nord One UP NC500DM Stereo and APOLLON NC800 SL. In your opinion, which one should you choose? Apollon seems more well made, has a more correct build in, also has the power Board to the soft start and double bottom of the hull. Do they have any other differences that I didn't notice? I would be grateful for your comments!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I have no experience with Apollon but I have had nothing but great service with Colin of Nord. He has always been super responsive to emails. Nord uses all quality parts and materials. Either one you choose good luck as the Hypex amps are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Paramon View Post
    Hello everyone!
    Standing in front of the amp selection, options Nord One UP NC500DM Stereo and APOLLON NC800 SL. In your opinion, which one should you choose? Apollon seems more well made, has a more correct build in, also has the power Board to the soft start and double bottom of the hull. Do they have any other differences that I didn't notice? I would be grateful for your comments!
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Apollon has Rca and xlr inputs
    Nord only xlr
    Can make the difference for you

The Hypex modules are designed to operate with balanced inputs, added circuitry to facilitate RCA inputs is always a compromise. I wouldn't use anything but balanced XLR if you want to extract the best performance.

The Hypex modules are designed to operate with balanced inputs, added circuitry to facilitate RCA inputs is always a compromise. I wouldn't use anything but balanced XLR if you want to extract the best performance.
    Agree. I tried both and the balanced XLR were a big difference.
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Simple question from a newbie, sorry if that has been asked before. Nord makes monoblocks and stereo versions of the same amp. Which way would you go, monoblocks or stereo, if space isn't the issue? Channel separation might be a bit better than in the stereo version. But would that matter this much?

The Nord stereo version is effectively a dual mono amp, it has the parts of two monoblocks in one box(two NC500's with input buffer board and two SMPS1200 power supplies). General opinion is there is very little if any difference between the two when driving the same speaker cables. The main advantage of the monoblocks is being able to position each amp close to a speaker minimising the length of speaker cables required.

I've never heard such amps before. Is it true that amplifiers with Hypex modules sound better than more expensive class AB amplifiers?

I've never heard such amps before. Is it true that amplifiers with Hypex modules sound better than more expensive class AB amplifiers?
    From what I've read, yes.
    The Nord is the best amp I've had, but compared to some on this forum, I've not had that many
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Good point, thanks for clarifying!

Some may prefer the sound of a Hypex amp over a particular Class A/B amp, but that doesn't mean that they're inherently better. There are many Class A/B or Class A designs which outperform Hypex amps IMNSHO!

Like anything else in this hobby what's best to you is what you prefer.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Some may prefer the sound of a Hypex amp over a particular Class A/B amp, but that doesn't mean that they're inherently better. There are many Class A/B or Class A designs which outperform Hypex amps IMNSHO!
    True but in bang for the buck terms Hypex is hard to beat!

How much bucks for a good Hypex setup ? many amps around using Hypex modules selling for 12K plus.

Good a/ab amps options around with that kind of budget ....

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    How much bucks for a good Hypex setup ? many amps around using Hypex modules selling for 12K plus.

Good a/ab amps options around with that kind of budget ....

Regards
    I wouldn't spend 12k on a Hypex amp, there's no need to, the Nord and others come in close to 1.5k. The fact that manufacturers are successfully selling Hypex amps for 12k plus just shows you their performance justifies the market position they are in?

Managed to hear a new IceTechnology vs the NC500 (mine) yesterday but not at home. Both were good and very clear and 3D. But to my ears I preferred the NC500. The IceT was brighter, sharper but the detail was projected and it sounded a little artificial. Nothing definitive as I need to hear it under more familiar circumstances.

George I have to concur with you. The NC500 are more full bodied and the 1200as are more dry. Both are extremely good but neither match the midrange richness of a tube amp. The beauty of each is you have a signature sound for multiple systems be it you need to add one or another character to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    Managed to hear a new IceTechnology vs the NC500 (mine) yesterday but not at home. Both were good and very clear and 3D. But to my ears I preferred the NC500. The IceT was brighter, sharper but the detail was projected and it sounded a little artificial. Nothing definitive as I need to hear it under more familiar circumstances.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

I have the exact opposite experience with nc500 and 1200As2. I had the Nord One up nc500 monos with SI 994 and AM SHD fuse but the 1200as2 are either equal or beat it in most department.

This hobby is so weird, in a good way

Like Dev I've owned both and used both the SI and Sparkos op amps with the Nord. I found that which amp you prefer depends on the rest of the system it is in particularly the speaker it is driving and for the Nord also which op amp with which speaker as the character changes pretty significantly with the swap. For example the Sparkos is better with the Nola's that are voiced and tested with ARC and VAC tube amps while the SI's are better with the Spatials. The Mivera 1200AS amp can straddle the fence between the two Nord op amp choices and seems to prefer tube preamps in my systems. The problem with testing them against each other is that they both are better if powered on for a while. Mine are always powered on when in the systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    I have the exact opposite experience with nc500 and 1200As2. I had the Nord One up nc500 monos with SI 994 and AM SHD fuse but the 1200as2 are either equal or beat it in most department.

This hobby is so weird, in a good way
    Devg:

This is the first reference to trying different fuses in the Nord One Ups that I've seen. Can you enlighten us as to what kind of improvement you found, if any, and what other fuses you may have experimented with?

Thanks,

Bob

Well, after a few days of listening to my new Apollon Audio NC800SL power amplifier, I'm ripe for writing a review about it.
    Before making an order, I talked for a long time with the main person in this company, his name is Tibor. Surprisingly, he quickly answers all questions, very sociable man! My amplifier was manufactured in a week, which included a mandatory 48-hour test and a week of delivery. Packed the device perfectly, the box is pasted on all sides with icons "Fragile", came whole, without damage.
    Now about the sound of this unit. And it sounds just great! And that's a fact. When I plugged everything in, sat on the couch, afraid that now turn on the amplifier and my hopes will not come true. But as soon as the familiar compositions sounded I was shocked! The first impression that my speakers before it was covered with a blanket, and now he suddenly took off!
    The sound of the amplifier is very open, detailed, but not sharp. The middle is very lively, natural, the vocals became completely different. Bass very elastic, juicy, and on some compositions noticed different in frequency blow, and earlier there was just a BOOM, now it is possible to distinguish accurately what shock play, no buzz with this amplifier is not present, it controls columns perfectly. Very large-scale scene, the sound does not stick to the speakers, I do not know how to call it, the sound was as if in 3D.
    Anything extra amplifier does not make, listened, and with TEAC 503 and Oppo 205 every source sounds its own way, with the 503 sound like I was expecting a more soft, the middle is more pronounced. The entire setup is connected on balance via the Emotiva xsp-1 preamplifier, it is connected the fronts with PreOuts receiver when watching movies the sound resolution on the fronts is also added, and significantly.
    I am pleased with the result, the issue with the power amplifier is closed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for detailed review!
    I have very similar impressions about the amplifier Nord One UP NC500DM, but I'm listening to it on Sparkos Labs SS3602 and this week I want to compare sound with Op Amps to Sonic Imagery 994.
    Impressions of this comparison I will write here.
    I'm Sorry for using Google translator.
    Stereo system: Oppo UDP-205 (Coaxial) >> Holo Audio Spring II (XLR) >> Emotiva XSP-1 Gen.2 (XLR) >> Nord One UP NC500DM (Sonic Imagery 994) >> Canton Ergo 695 + SVS SB-3000 х 2.
    HT: Panasonic PR65VT60, Oppo UDP-205 (HDMI) >> Denon AVR-X6300h >> Emotiva XSP-1 Gen.2 >> Nord One UP NC500DM (front)>> (7.2.4) Canton: Ergo 695 x 2 / Ergo 655 / Ergo 610 x 4 / InCeilling 865 x 4 / SVS SB-3000 х 2.

Hi everyone,

Any thoughts about the Nord UP MP stereo (NC502MP amp ) ? Can it handle speakers like Dyns confidence C2 or the NC500 UP / ONE is a better purpose ?

I was about to pull the trigger on an ATI AT522NC and an ATI AT523NC....2 channel and three channel D Class for 5.1 A/V system. I am using Evolution Acoustic Micro Ones across the front.

I came across this thread about the Nord. Does anyone have any direct comparison between ATI D Class compared to Nord's offerings?

Joeinid, do you still have your Nord's? I didn't see them in your signature.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ros3bud View Post
    Hi everyone,

Any thoughts about the Nord UP MP stereo (NC502MP amp ) ? Can it handle speakers like Dyns confidence C2 or the NC500 UP / ONE is a better purpose ?
    Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hey Joe, do you still have your Nord amps?

Hello folks,
    Is this thread dead? There was quite a bit of enthusiasm here at one time. Was curious about thoughts between the Nord One UP and the Apollon NC800SL.
    20 something years of Jadis tubes have got me in the mood to change things up a bit...on a budget. Need to pair an amp and preamp to some finicky SF Cremona Auditor Ms that require quick, light, tight and nimble bass in my room. Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated!
    Brgds,
    David
    Jadis + Sonus faber + Tara Labs
    and all sorts of other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by David60 View Post
    Hello folks,
    Is this thread dead? There was quite a bit of enthusiasm here at one time. Was curious about thoughts between the Nord One UP and the Apollon NC800SL.
    20 something years of Jadis tubes have got me in the mood to change things up a bit...on a budget. Need to pair an amp and preamp to some finicky SF Cremona Auditor Ms that require quick, light, tight and nimble bass in my room. Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated!
    Brgds,
    David
    IMHO you can never go wrong with the Nord One UP, I have never heard the Apollo NC800SL though. Regarding the thread activity, I think everyone is just enjoying their Nord's. For me it completely took away the desire for "better" amps (if that is even possible, at least not within my budget).
    2 Dedicated PPA audio streamers, PPA DDC, Lampizator ​GG SE dac, Classé Audio Omega Pre MKII, Linkwitz LX521's + Thor's, Lineair psu's, Arcam AV9, Oppo 95, Pioneer LX5090H, Emotiva XPA5, 2xUPA500's, 2x Nord One Up NC500DMST

Quote Originally Posted by RV. View Post
    IMHO you can never go wrong with the Nord One UP, I have never heard the Apollo NC800SL though. Regarding the thread activity, I think everyone is just enjoying their Nord's. For me it completely took away the desire for "better" amps (if that is even possible, at least not within my budget).
    Thanks RV. My problem is twofold; a high gain Jadis tube preamp that I'd to use and a WAF constraint that prevents me from pulling the SFs further from the front wall. They're rear-ported which causes some massive standing wave problems in the room. Trading in wifey for a new model has crossed my mind, but after 29 years I better stick with what I've got...I can relegate the Jadis amp+preamp to the office with the SF Concertinos which are front-ported and surprisingly excellent. That leaves me with the predicament of a new amp+preamp to decide on for the living room. I'm thinking the Hattor preamp from Arek can be matched in gain to the 26db gain of both the Nord and Apollon amps which could do the trick, perhaps...Just hoping these Ncores are quick and tight on bass response as I've never heard them!
    Brgds.

Quote Originally Posted by David60 View Post
    Thanks RV. My problem is twofold; a high gain Jadis tube preamp that I'd to use and a WAF constraint that prevents me from pulling the SFs further from the front wall. They're rear-ported which causes some massive standing wave problems in the room. Trading in wifey for a new model has crossed my mind, but after 29 years I better stick with what I've got...I can relegate the Jadis amp+preamp to the office with the SF Concertinos which are front-ported and surprisingly excellent. That leaves me with the predicament of a new amp+preamp to decide on for the living room. I'm thinking the Hattor preamp from Arek can be matched in gain to the 26db gain of both the Nord and Apollon amps which could do the trick, perhaps...Just hoping these Ncores are quick and tight on bass response as I've never heard them!
    Brgds.
    George 47 who wrote a review of the Nord has the Hattor preamp and used it successfully with the Nord. Works best with the balanced output version apparently. The Nord is not lacking in speed and control in the bass region.

From my experience the Nord's were fine with preamps into the mid-teens with gain. Didn't own anything higher.

Thanks jack, useful info.
    Brgds.

Just launched the MKII NC500 amp with our new REV D Buffer with Sparkos 2590 or Sonic Imagery 990.
    We have also updated the internal layout and rear panel for shorter cable runs. Result is more tonal depth, more bass and even bigger soundstage.
    All previous amps can be upgraded to REV D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk Nord Acoustics design and manufacture Nord Amplifiers in the UK. Hypex and ICE Power Amplifier Stereo to 8 Channel Amplifiers. We ship Worldwide.

Colin
    Please describe the sonic improvements with the new REV D boards for us NC500 owner please.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

The result is more tonal depth, dramatic improvement in bass, even greater depth of soundstage and slightly more detail. Headroom and listening volumes have increased and all combine in a totally musical non fatiguing Class A sound. Gone, if there was any hint, of solid state amplifier.

After an intense development and Op Amp evaluation we tried 3 op amps, from John Hardy, Sonic Imagery and Sparkos Labs. Despite excellent reports on the John Hardy 990C we preferred the Sparkos 2590 and Sonic Imagery 990 Enh. Both are excellent and after a close call the Sonic Imagery is our slight preference whilst the Sparkos is cheaper. The difference is less than with the previous versions we used and really the only difference is a slightly more open presentation on the Sonic Imagery. The Power sections Panasonic electrolytic capacitors value were chosen to deliver the best and fastest combination of attack and sustain the bass notes, small values have a faster flinch capacity to deliver crisp bass. To small and they run out of power to deliver sustained bass. We evaluated multiple devices before settling on 22uF. The new REV D buffer will also accept the two previous Op amps The SI994 and the Sparkos SS3602 in DIP8 packages. We have also further enhanced the peripheral circuit implementing further counter noise reduction. The new REV D is 100% compatible with our previous MKI amp and offer upgrades to the new spec.
    http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk Nord Acoustics design and manufacture Nord Amplifiers in the UK. Hypex and ICE Power Amplifier Stereo to 8 Channel Amplifiers. We ship Worldwide.

Super Moderator

Congratulations Colin! Glad to see new developments.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I ordered a set of the REV D boards and will report back how they sound.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Power output the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Dummies View Post
    Power output the same?
    Yes but we noticed the headroom increase you can listen and want to listen at even higher volumes.

Any update?
    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    I ordered a set of the REV D boards and will report back how they sound.
    PSB Imagine T3, LKV Phono, VPI Scout, Trans Fi Terminator Tone Arm, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio DMP - DS JR, Acoustic Imgaery Atsah 500 Mono Amps, Wireworld Eclipse 7 cables

Blimey give us chance he only ordered them on the 11-12-18 and we have been inudated with upgrade orders, however I bust a gut and shipped them on express to the US on Friday thay are out for delivery today, so we all wait with baited breath!

Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....