Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2732333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,850 of 2097

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

Hi Samoyed,

I have lined it up to listen to later. I can't test the MQA version as I use Qobuz. Thx for the suggestion.

M

What a great album, really enjoyed it. In return a few recommendations:

London Grammar - If You Wait;
    Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree; and
    Benny Green - Live at the Village Vanguard.

The Benny Green is simply fantastic.

M

Thanks!

Samoyed, Subterranean bass? Try X Ambassadors, VHS. Bloody good. Last night I watched Elton John's 'Madison Sqr Gardens - Hits Live'. Up to now the centre channel has been driven by an old Naim NAP250, with the L & R being via my EAR868 > EAR534. Last night the front three channels were driven by the Nord ........and? The bass was brilliant, as was the shear resolution of detail and information. I was able to easily follow the two lead guitarists, the bass, Elton on piano and the two sets of drum kits; all this from a lossy DTS 5.1 soundtrack. REALLY VERY GOOD.

I plan to drop in on Colin this summer as we’ve never met. Big 75th event in Normandy. I’m thinking of putting the cats down so I can afford the new nc1200! They are getting restive. The Benny Green album really shines.

;-D George47 popped in to see him a week ago, having his Nord updated. I had a brief chat about the NC1200 with Colin, he said the 500 is the sweet spot of performance per pound, but I don't think any of us need much persuasion to get a tad more. Just listening to Aqualung, the NC500 really punches out the bass, I swear I have gained an octave of strong informative bass.

I wish we had a guy like Colin over here. He is understated and truthful, and always ready to help. His “peer” over here hawks his “cherries” like a carnival barker, promising that for one thin dime you can see “her” crawl on her belly like a reptile!

8-D - Colin comes across as a straight forward, honest chap, if a bit tired at the moment, I am happy to have done business with him. Although I am NOT planning on spending any more on my system for quiet some time I have found myself pondering on an NC1200 for the mains and using the NC500 for centre & rear duties; no, no, no!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Listen again after the Nord has a few more hundred hours (600 +/- hours play time for OneUp NC500 in mine and others' experience) and you might be tickled further. Also, my NC500 monos stay powered on 24/7 so as to avoid thermal cycling/required warm-up of the chassis and components. Do you leave your amp on?.... or power off daily?
    Hi Mike, Sorry, meant to respond to this. I am leaving it on 24/7, simply as that is what I have done with my Naim 250s over the decades. That said, Colin's view is that they come on song in 10 to 20 minutes. Yes, I am prepared for a looooong burn in. M

Now we need someone to get the NC1200 and compare to the NC500 to have another input. Who is willing to upgrade?
    1. ITX PC - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800SL - Thiel CS3.7
    2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCMP6200 - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000
    3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Audeze LCDi3 - Neumann KH 80 DSP
    4. Phone - TempoTec Sonata E44 - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk
    5. PC - Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Chu

I’m taking the cats to the vet, today!

Quote Originally Posted by Matias View Post
    Now we need someone to get the NC1200 and compare to the NC500 to have another input. Who is willing to upgrade?
    I have been thinking of getting one, but I've been waiting for someone to compare the two first.
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

I wonder how much devaluation the Mola Mola Kalugas, based on NC1200, will have on the used market after Hypex allowed lower priced NC1200 based amplifiers to be sold.
    2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCMP6200 - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

Lots of moola....

Well chaps with a following wind and a lot of help from Colin I am hoping to do just that with a review. Hopefully not too soon.

O.K., the cats get a stay pending your reviews.

My system is sounding better and better. Since I've made so many changes over the past few weeks (cables and preamp), I'm not sure if it is these other components that are slowly breaking in, or if the NC500 really takes THAT LONG (several hundred hours now). I've still got a few cables that I want to replace in the next few weeks (I'm taking the DIY approach and making my own, so progress is a bit slow), and I have some more GIK panels on order, but I'm now quite pleased with the sound.

The power cables seem to have a bigger affect than I would have expected. I'm not spending a lot - using DH Labs Power Plus cable and a mix of connectors ranging from relatively inexpensive 'audiophile' connectors from Amazon to Furutech Fi-28, but keeping them as short as possible for my application (generally around 3ft). I haven't gone back to A/B the old cheapo power cables, but the bass is deeper and tighter, background is quieter, and overall, the sound is considerably smoother and more refined. Some of this could be the NCore amps (or Parasound preamp) continuing to break-in.
    Main: SGC SonicTransporter i9 Optical, Sonore Signature Rendu SE, Denafrips Gaia, Denafrips Terminator Plus, DIY Preamp, DIY 300B PSET Monoblocks, DIY GR Research Line Force with dual 4-stack servo subs, PS Audio Power Plant 12, AQ Diamond USB, Tubulus Argentus i2s, Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR, DH Labs Red Wave and Power Plus PCs, Kimber Select KS-3035 speaker cable

2nd: Auralic Vega G2, DIY Purifi amp, GR-Research NX-Studio speakers.

HT: Marantz AV8802a, Sunfire Theater Grand, Revel Performa F50/C50, Epson 5050, Stewart 92" Firehawk G4

Extra: Schiit Yggdrasil A2, DIY FirstWatt F5 Turbo monoblocks, DIY Neurochrome Mod-286 monoblocks, DIY Purifi monoblocks, DIY Preamp. Revel F30, Totem Mani-2.

🙀😼😻🥴

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post
    Hi Mike, Sorry, meant to respond to this. I am leaving it on 24/7, simply as that is what I have done with my Naim 250s over the decades. That said, Colin's view is that they come on song in 10 to 20 minutes. Yes, I am prepared for a looooong burn in. M
    Hello @Mr Underhill
    You will get better mids and warmer and fuller sound with Sparkos Op Amps. Try them if you can and then let us know.

Same for me. 😺

Hi PLGA,

I'll bare this in mind, but I will continue the burn in for some time yet.
    -
    I do enjoy listening to the Nord via the Oppo and via the Linn/EAR. The Oppo is flakier, and interestingly sounds much better via Kazoo rather than the Oppo Media Center for some reason. The flakiness appears to be related to the Synology NAS that I use - I have limited tools to troubleshoot the issues.

George47 is hopefully popping over tomorrow armed with some power cables and XLRs .....and perhaps the Hattor pre-amp.

M

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    Well chaps with a following wind and a lot of help from Colin I am hoping to do just that with a review. Hopefully not too soon.
    Will you be comparing the two Op Amps?
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

If so, please tell us something about you. I’m a senior with tinnitus so to me the Sparkos don’t sound hard and edgy whereas the si does. Younger folks may like the si.

George47 came over, a bloody good day.

Started with the Oppo > Nord. Sounded good.

Swapped in the Linn Klimax Renew/EAR868, clearly better, more 3D, more texture and detail; but, the Oppo was perhaps a bit cleaner and linear in the very low bass. The Linn/EAR was also a tad nearer an edge so that issues in a recording were more obvious. The recording in question was The Baby in the Bubble, Paul Simon.

Now put in the Hattor pre which was akin to a grown up Oppo. It was not as textured or 3d as the EAR but had the detail and the Oppo linearity. With the Linn/EAR you were drawn into an organic soundscape. With the Linn/Hattor it wasn't quiet as inviting, but it seemed to highlight the individual musicians, and their musical interactions.

Now it was time to use the Linn Klimax Renew as a preamp as well, cut out the middle man, YES .....and then VERY quickly turn the page, yuk!

George bought three power cables: A Supra 2.5 £70; Audio Note £450; and, Nordost £1400. All used on the Nord.

The effects were minor, but noticeable. The Audionote was warmer and less dynamic than my standard. The Nordost was more dynamic, but also a tad more sterile. The shielded Supra gave the highpoints of both the AN and the N, and was my immediate preference, so I have bought two; one for the Nord and one for the EAR.

Thx George.

Friends, Romans, countrymen....👀

Mr. U, put on anything by these guys for a fait do do! https://rockindopsiejr.com/home

Hi Samoyed, They don't have anything on Qobuz unfortunately. I will see if they have anything on YouTube before I make a decision whether to buy one of their albums. I thought the fact I could hear a difference with a mains lead via the Nord was interesting, and something I have not experienced before; even if we are talking subtle shades. I bought a second Supra for my EAR pre simply to experiment, you never know. The playlist from yesterday was: Vengelis, Heaven & Hell Part 1; Chris Botti, When I fall in love, Live in Boston (Really cracking album); Paul Simon, The Boy in the Bubble, Graceland; X Ambassadors, Renegades, VHS; The Prodigy, The Day is My Enemy, The Day is My Enemy; Jace Everett, Bad Things, TRUE BLOOD: Music from the HBO® Original Series.

Colin recommended Madonna’s Vogue to me, and I recommend it to you for testing the Nord. I find her to be a screeching, crepitating old tart, but it’s a fun recording. 😖

Try Beyonce's Fever. I'm not generally a fan of Beyonce, but she does an excellent job with this standard.

Also try Yello's Kiss in Blue. Very nicely recorded. Yello is a very eclectic band (you may remember Oh Yeah from Ferris Bueller's Day Off), but they have some great material that is excellently recorded.

If you're looking for something to play really loud, try David Bowie's Fame. I like the 1999 Remaster on Best of Bowie.
    Main: SGC SonicTransporter i9 Optical, Sonore Signature Rendu SE, Denafrips Gaia, Denafrips Terminator Plus, DIY Preamp, DIY 300B PSET Monoblocks, DIY GR Research Line Force with dual 4-stack servo subs, PS Audio Power Plant 12, AQ Diamond USB, Tubulus Argentus i2s, Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR, DH Labs Red Wave and Power Plus PCs, Kimber Select KS-3035 speaker cable

HT: Marantz AV8802a, Sunfire Theater Grand, Revel Performa F50/C50, Epson 5050, Stewart 92" Firehawk G4

Extra: Schiit Yggdrasil A2, DIY FirstWatt F5 Turbo monoblocks, DIY Neurochrome Mod-286 monoblocks, DIY Purifi monoblocks, DIY Preamp. Revel F30, Totem Mani-2.

Great! Let’s keep this going. The amazing thing about the MK II is how easily one can distinguish crap recordings from Pure Dee crap recordings, etc.!

Whoa, just found this to stress the Nord! https://www.genodelafosemusic.com/

Mr. U, can you get that on Cue ball?

Look for La Chanson Perdue, or the lost song album. Wow!

'Fraid not. As with the other chap they are listed but have no albums or tracks in the system.

Wow. You’d think the Frogs would lap that up....

I decided to try the Sparkos op-amps in my NC500 Mk II mono-blocks. I ordered the 4 op amps on ebay from Sparkos since ebay has an easy way to make an offer (less than full price). Since I was buying 4, I thought they'd be willing to accept a reasonable discount and they did. I placed the order on Monday and had them in my hands on Friday.

The Nord amps replaced by Krell FFB-300. I really liked the sound of the Krell, but the transformer was starting to hum and the right channel started distorting. I had already had the caps replaced by Krell about ten years ago, and the price to have the Krell fixed was more than I could justify, particularly since a local audio shop was willing to give me some trade-in value on it toward a new preamp.

After several hundred hours of use, the Nords with the SI op-amps was started to sound quite good. There were some areas where the Nord improved on the Krell, particularly noise and clarity, and of course, lack of heat, expensive electrical bills, and back aches from trying to move it around. On really good recordings, it was quite good, but on less than stellar recordings, it really exposed the flaws and was not as pleasurable to listen to compared with my Krell.

For me, the Sparkos op-amps are a definite improvement. It may not be quite as revealing as the SI op amps, but it's more pleasurable to listen to. It's been so long since I had the Krell (working properly) in my system that I can't say it is now better than the Krell, but it does well on the things that are important to me (realistic vocals, dynamic sound, good pace and rhythm, and tight, reasonably deep bass response). I also like good imaging, but as long as the images are stable, fairly wide and moderately deep, I'm happy. I wouldn't sacrifice the other parameters for superior imaging.

I'm now in my 60s and my hearing isn't what it used to be (too much cycling and driving convertibles), so I doubt I'd hear any bad high frequency artifacts over 10 Khz at this point.

The sound quality I'm now getting out of the Nords is at the level where I doubt I'd go back to a big class A-A/B amp. I'm not at all saying that Class-D sounds better than the big iron amps. I don't think we're there yet. But they are getting a LOT closer, and now offer pretty amazing performance for the money.

I remember hearing my first class-D amp in the late 70s (made by Infinity if I recall), and it was truly awful, and would blow up at the drop of a hat. As an electronics engineer, I thought there was potential in the concept, but pretty dramatic strides in transistor switching speeds, control circuitry, and feedback design would be required before I'd consider owning one. I never really considered looking at Class D until I was forced to consider replacing my Krell, but I now do think that Class-D amps deserve consideration, particularly for more modest budgets.

Anyway, I think unless you are driving the Nord with a fairly warm sounding (and forgiving) tube preamp, I'd recommend the Sparkos op-amps to start with instead of the Sonic Imagery op-amps.

- JayT

I agree with all your conclusions, and I’m glad the Sparkos did for you what they do for me!

JayT
    I couldnt agree more.
    For me Sparkos Op Amps are far more enjoyable than Si.

+1 for Sparkos Pro opamps although I did not test the SI because I already knew I would prefer the warmer sounding ones.

I love the detail of the SI but man did they make my tinnitus ring!

Bruno has left Hypex a while ago and is now one of the owners of Purify Audio. He is finishing a next generation of class D amplifiers which are superior to nCore: the Eigentakt. More info here:

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/purifi/

Hmmm, I hope Colin follows that development. Here’s an odd one I’ve noted before. The MK II sounds much smoother and musical after five or six hours and the depth of sound stage improves! Real? Imagined? I don’t know but I now turn mine on about 5:30 am. No, SWMBO will not allow leaving it on.

It's real all right and applies to all Class D amps which do sound better if powered up all the time. Don't the later Nord amps have a switch on the back to turn the light off so it looks like the amp is off?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Doh! I owe you.

Super Moderator

You could always open it up and disconnect the led in front so it will not glow anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Samoyed View Post
    Hmmm, I hope Colin follows that development. Here’s an odd one I’ve noted before. The MK II sounds much smoother and musical after five or six hours and the depth of sound stage improves! Real? Imagined? I don’t know but I now turn mine on about 5:30 am. No, SWMBO will not allow leaving it on.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks. Or, I could find a backbone.

Super Moderator

Sometimes we have to just pick our battles. Don’t feel bad.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Power consumption is pretty negligible if you aren't playing music through it, so it's definitely worth leaving on all the time.

I've been slowly upgrading my cables, starting with replacing all the oem cheapo power cables, then the speaker cable, and now I'm working on the interconnects. I decided to go with DH Labs since they seemed to offer well designed and built bulk cable at a very reasonable price, and there are plenty of excellent reviews.

After making DIY power cables and speaker cables from their bulk cable offerings and liking the results, I decided to buy a short 0.5M Revelation interconnect to use between my DAC and Preamp. Wow! Right out of the box, this cable blew away the Blue-Jean Belden XLRs I was using. It's now been running for about 24 hours and this cable is sounding SWEET.

Now I have to decide whether to upgrade the Preamp-Amp interconnects. I'm currently using a 2M pair of Mark Levinson cables that I bought about 20 years ago. These cables are on the short side for my installation. One of them is literally stretched tight between components. A 3M pair would work a lot better. I'm sure ML didn't make their own cable, but I'm not sure who they got it from. It certainly doesn't sound bad, but having compared the Blue Jean cables to the ML cable and only hearing a modest improvement, I'm thinking that the DH Labs Revelation could be a lot better.

JayT, "I remember hearing my first class-D amp in the late 70s (made by Infinity if I recall), and it was truly awful, and would blow up at the drop of a hat. As an electronics engineer, I thought there was potential in the concept, but pretty dramatic strides in transistor switching speeds, control circuitry, and feedback design would be required before I'd consider owning one. I never really considered looking at Class D until I was forced to consider replacing my Krell, but I now do think that Class-D amps deserve consideration, particularly for more modest budgets". You remember correctly, the Infinity SWAMP amp designed by John Ulrich now with Spectron. It was unstable and had a hair trigger set to blow up on many speaker loads.

Glad you got it sorted, Samoyed.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Two days ago, with three months on the amp and about three weeks on the Sparkos, the sound stage seemed to suddenly deepen and widen. I’ve never had this experience with electronics. I suspect the Sparkos continue to burn in. They really are far more pleasing for me than the SI amps. I’d love to hear from someone with the nc1200.

Well, the slight listening fatigue that remained with the Sparkos is now GONE. Wow, I’ve never experienced such long break in. This amp is a killer! Anybody?

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2732333435363738394041 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....