Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Thanks Mike, I'll check it out.
    Awesome! Anyways Colin should have a killer new very easy to install buffer board soon that will play nice with the Sonic Imagery 994 discrete opamp. Then you will really see what today's class D is capable of

Sorry for saying it on so many posts. I needed 10 posts to share a link

I recently traded my Nuforce Ref9seV3's for a new pair of Nuprime R20's with the TTSD upgrade. I'm not quite ready yet to provide any definitive comments about the R20's because I sent my GAT back to CJ for the Series 2 upgrade. But CJ shipped it yesterday and the GAT's expected to arrive tomorrow! So that should be exciting and looking forward to a great weekend! But I really need to hear the R20's with the GAT because thats my reference preamp. I will say it seems to take a long time for the Nuprimes to warm up, like a couple of hours. And I don't believe the amps are fully broken in yet. But initial impressions driving my Maggie 3.7i's are very promising. Here's what I just wrote on the Nuprime Audio Circle blog in reply #12.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140718.0
    Ted

Main System; VPI Classic 3 TT, Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum, Eagle/RR, Cinemag SUT, CJ Prem 15 Phono Pre, Modwright Oppo 105 CD/Dac, CJ Gat Ser 2, CAT Legend, Carver BB 305's, Magnepan 3.7i's/Mye Stands, REL G2's (pair), Triton/Typhon, Shunyata Loom, Merrill Rack, Mapleshade Plinths/Footers, Herbie's Tenderfeet/Tube Dampers, Synergistic Research; HFT's, FEQ's, Black Box, Apertures & Tube Traps.

2nd System; Kuzma Stabi/Stogi TT, Soundsmith Voice/Cad Bronze/Koetsu Rosewood Sig, Sutherland 20/20 Phono Pre, Bryston CD1, Cyrus Dac, Triode TRX-2, CJ Prem 8's (upgraded KT120's), Peter Gunn MMG's, REL S3's (pair), Audience Au24 SE Loom, Mapleshade Rack, Plinths & Footers. (Quad 2905's, ESL63's, PK Customs, AZ Crescendos, Utopias, Nuforce R20's, Modwright SWL9.0SE, CJ Classic 60SE)

Quote Originally Posted by Tedtag View Post
    I recently traded my Nuforce Ref9seV3's for a new pair of Nuprime R20's with the TTSD upgrade. I'm not quite ready yet to provide any definitive comments about the R20's because I sent my GAT back to CJ for the Series 2 upgrade. But CJ shipped it yesterday and the GAT's expected to arrive tomorrow! So that should be exciting and looking forward to a great weekend! But I really need to hear the R20's with the GAT because thats my reference preamp. I will say it seems to take a long time for the Nuprimes to warm up, like a couple of hours. And I don't believe the amps are fully broken in yet. But initial impressions driving my Maggie 3.7i's are very promising. Here's what I just wrote on the Nuprime Audio Circle blog in reply #12.

If you ever want to upgrade one day, I would consider one of these Nord amps.

Super Moderator

+1

They take a while to break in, for me, but wow! such performance for so low a price. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mivera Audio View Post
    If you ever want to upgrade one day, I would consider one of these Nord amps.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Ted,

Can't wait for your thoughts on the GAT series 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedtag View Post

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Sounds great and I'll keep that in mind. Joe, how do they compare to your CJ Art monos? The upgrades to my CJ Premier 8's were supposed to put those up to just about the Art mono sound quality, or at least close. And I'm very familiar with those and love them dearly; especially when all 16 KT120s (no tube cage) are glowing!
    Ted

Main System; VPI Classic 3 TT, Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum, Eagle/RR, Cinemag SUT, CJ Prem 15 Phono Pre, Modwright Oppo 105 CD/Dac, CJ Gat Ser 2, CAT Legend, Carver BB 305's, Magnepan 3.7i's/Mye Stands, REL G2's (pair), Triton/Typhon, Shunyata Loom, Merrill Rack, Mapleshade Plinths/Footers, Herbie's Tenderfeet/Tube Dampers, Synergistic Research; HFT's, FEQ's, Black Box, Apertures & Tube Traps.

2nd System; Kuzma Stabi/Stogi TT, Soundsmith Voice/Cad Bronze/Koetsu Rosewood Sig, Sutherland 20/20 Phono Pre, Bryston CD1, Cyrus Dac, Triode TRX-2, CJ Prem 8's (upgraded KT120's), Peter Gunn MMG's, REL S3's (pair), Audience Au24 SE Loom, Mapleshade Rack, Plinths & Footers. (Quad 2905's, ESL63's, PK Customs, AZ Crescendos, Utopias, Nuforce R20's, Modwright SWL9.0SE, CJ Classic 60SE)

Super Moderator

Sadly, nothing compares to my ART monos . But, they have their own strengths and advantages. I am getting out of tubes, for the most part, mainly because of the way I listen to my music. When those tubes are glowing in a dimly lit room and the music is playing, nothing compares.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Sadly, nothing compares to my ART monos . But, they have their own strengths and advantages. I am getting out of tubes, for the most part, mainly because of the way I listen to my music. When those tubes are glowing in a dimly lit room and the music is playing, nothing compares.
    I just noticed there's no DAC in your signature anymore. Are you in between DAC's?

Edit: Never mind I see that you have the Mcintosh C52 Preamp/DAC. How do you like it?

Super Moderator

Oops, I knew I forgot something. Thanks Mike. I have the Lumin S1 and Lumin D1 in my system now.

I fixed my signature. Thank you.

I just noticed there's no DAC in your signature anymore. Are you in between DAC's? Never mind I see that you have the Macintosh C52 Preamp/DAC. How do you like it?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Oops, I knew I forgot something. Thanks Mike. I have the Lumin S1 and Lumin D1 in my system now.

I fixed my signature. Thank you.

Have you tried out the DAC section on the McIntosh? If so how does it compare to the Lumin?

Super Moderator

I do not have experience with previous generations of McIntosh dacs but I love the dac in the C52. It just works and sound great. I have my modified Sonos and MacMini hooked up to it. It's quiet, has great vocals, tremendous air and 3D. If I did not know better, I never would have guessed McIntosh was on the label. That is not a knock but I know others had issues with previous internal McIntosh dacs. Mine is rock solid. I personally could live with it as my only dac.

The Lumin is awesome. The GG is still a little bit better in the grand scheme of things but, I just love the on the fly PCM and DSD ability of the Lumin to switch back and forth. I can up and down sample. I will receive an MQA update when Lumin releases it and I absolutely LOVE the AirPlay feature of the Lumin. The app is superb and the sound is absolutely wonderful.

Have you tried out the DAC section on the McIntosh? If so how does it compare to the Lumin?
    Last edited by joeinid; March 24, 2016 at 01:24 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I do not have experience with previous generations of McIntosh dacs but I love the dac in the C52. It just works and sound great. I have my modified Sonos and MacMini hooked up to it.

The Lumin is awesome. The GG is still a little bit better in the grand scheme of things but, I just love the on the fly PCM and DSD ability of the Lumin to switch back and forth. I can up and down sample. I will receive an MQA update when Lumin releases it and I absolutely LOVE the AirPlay feature of the Lumin. The app is superb and the sound is absolutely wonderful.
    Excellent! You sure have a lot to choose from in your system I didn't even realize that the C52 existed. It's a direct competitor (price wise) to the Phison PD2 I'm selling. I would love to compare them one day. Another new DAC/Pre I'm looking forward to comparing is the Mark Levinson No526. Looks like they did a good job on it with the discrete gain stages. But it's quite a bit more expensive at $15K.

Anyways I seen you have a C52 thread already, so I won't take this one any further into OT

McIntosh C52 Preamplifier Review from New Record Day ....

Super Moderator

To put a final point on this, all your advice has been spot on and I truly appreciate it.

I know those who have your PD 2 and absolutely LOVE it. If I did not have other gear coming, I would have jumped on it. It will have to wait for now. I have high hopes for your amp coming out too. I have to believe from past performance, it should be wonderful.

I want people to know the McIntosh gear is amazing and McIntosh has and will continue to have great gear. I love it.

Excellent! You sure have a lot to choose from in your system I didn't even realize that the C52 existed. It's a direct competitor (price wise) to the Phison PD2 I'm selling. I would love to compare them one day. Another new DAC/Pre I'm looking forward to comparing is the Mark Levinson No526. Looks like they did a good job on it with the discrete gain stages. But it's quite a bit more expensive at $15K.

Anyways I seen you have a C52 thread already, so I won't take this one any further into OT

McIntosh C52 Preamplifier Review from New Record Day ....

NAD C 658 streamer.

To put a final point on this, all your advice has been spot on and I truly appreciate it.

I know those who have your PD 2 and absolutely LOVE it. If I did not have other gear coming, I would have jumped on it. It will have to wait for now. I have high hopes for your amp coming out too. I have to believe from past performance, it should be wonderful.

I want people to know the McIntosh gear is amazing and McIntosh has and will continue to have great gear. I love it.

I'm glad you're happy with it! I've drooled over Mac gear every since I was 6-7 years old.

Anyways when I get some inventory in stock of the PD2's, maybe I can send you one to try out. I would love to get more unbiased feedback on it since it's brand new to the market. I can also send along some different input boards for the Nord's so you can drive them direct by the PD2. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the combo that way

Super Moderator

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the opportunity.

I am a little squeamish "working" on my amps. I may need some advice as the time nears.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the opportunity.

I am a little squeamish "working" on my amps. I may need some advice as the time nears.
    No problem. Ha ha, it's nothing to it really. They are just little modular board's that simply plug in. Very easy 5 minute job to swap them. The amps are designed this way, no soldering or anything like that.

Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Nice!

I think I can handle that.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

My Aqua DAC is built that way as are most of the Schitt models. They would just as soon you do the upgrades in the field. Allows for less support staff.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Thank you Jack.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Mike

Do you have any listening experience with the Nuforce/Nuprime variation of Class D and if so what do you think about their approach and sound. They use toroidal style transformers in most of their designs which is different from the Hypex method.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Mike

Do you have any listening experience with the Nuforce/Nuprime variation of Class D and if so what do you think about their approach and sound. They use toroidal style transformers in most of their designs which is different from the Hypex method.
    Hi Jack,

I have only heard the Nuprime IDA-16 integrated amp. It's not bad for the money, but nowhere in the league of the Hypex Ncore stuff. IMO you won't get better class D than the Hypex Ncore. But how they sound all depends on the input buffer used. Many people don't like the dead pan neutral sound of the input buffers on the NC-400 and Mola Mola Kaluga. This is why I came up with the concept Nord uses of swapping the input buffer opamps to "tune" the sound to your personal tastes, so you can achieve the exact "synergy" you're looking for in your system. Think of it just like tube rolling. You can literally make the NC-500 amp sound like anything you want with the right input buffer opamp. Joe described to me the sound he likes, so I recommended a smoother, more tube like discrete opamp for the input buffer. As you can see, it worked out well for him. However if one wanted something more analytical sounding, there's several options out there as well. A guy on Diyaudio has tried out a dozen or so opamps with it and has shared his subjective impressions. It's this guy here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/3lviz.html

If you scroll through his post history you will find them scattered about. Keep in mind they are revising the input board to make it lower noise, and play nice with more opamps.

Mike

I have not heard the amp in the IDA-16, but from what I have been told by owners and a dealer it is maybe the worst sounding of the amp sections they have put on the market. Way to far to the "lean" side of neutral. The engineers at Nuprime apparently have found a way to "tune" the sound of their amps also by using the buffer. I have the IDA-8 and the ST-10 and the amp modules are both "tuned" differently. The 8 is more to the "tube" direction and the ST-10 is warm but more to neutral side, according to the CEO by adjusting the input buffer. I like the warmer side of dead neutral so the Nord with the Sparkos should be to my liking. I am going to have another members pair in house to listen to later in the week so time will tell. Which side of the fence do the other op amps Colin is testing fall on?

Mike

I have not heard the amp in the IDA-16, but from what I have been told by owners and a dealer it is maybe the worst sounding of the amp sections they have put on the market. Way to far to the "lean" side of neutral. The engineers at Nuprime apparently have found a way to "tune" the sound of their amps also by using the buffer. I have the IDA-8 and the ST-10 and the amp modules are both "tuned" differently. The 8 is more to the "tube" direction and the ST-10 is warm but more to neutral side, according to the CEO by adjusting the input buffer. I like the warmer side of dead neutral so the Nord with the Sparkos should be to my liking. I am going to have another members pair in house to listen to later in the week so time will tell. Which side of the fence do the other op amps Colin is testing fall on?
    I would have a look at the link I shared. That guy has done far more testing than Colin has done. But like I mentioned, his new input board will be better. As far as I'm concerned, nothing can touch the Sonic Imagery 994 discrete opamp. It has the perfect balance of smoothness and detail. And it doesn't do it by adding distortion either. The sound stage is quite a bit deeper, and overall resolution better. The Sparko does sound quite dull in comparison. The best part is it does it without adding any listening fatigue what so ever. But the noise floor is high with the current Nord buffer board. If you read the Diyaudio thread, you will see that Richard (nerdman) from Sonic Imagery chimed in with his recommended mods to the input board to kill the noise floor to better than -120dB. I have a similar implementation here I have tried with the 994, and it's the best I've heard next to driving direct by the discrete modular class A gain stages of the Phison PD2.

Here's the Nord input board with the 994:

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Mike, I'll read through the thread.

Thanks Mike, I'll read through the thread.
    No problem. Lots of info on there although a whole pile was deleted for some odd reason. A bunch more is available on this thread as well where I was sharing info on some experiments with the NC-500's.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class...ncore-889.html

These amps from Acoustic Imagery might be the ticket.

http://www.acousticimagery.audio/#!atsah-500-mono/he4q3
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    These amps from Acoustic Imagery might be the ticket.

http://www.acousticimagery.audio/#!atsah-500-mono/he4q3
    They are the same thing as the cheapest Nord mono block version with standard Hypex LM 4562 based input buffer board. Main difference is Nord uses a better case, binding posts, power switch etc and is cheaper.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!produc...9-dd028a91a26c

But I don't recommend that board unless you're after mediocre sound, without the flexibility to tune to your tastes.

If anything, wait for this guy to build his version. He decided to copy my idea as well and has made a much nicer case machined out of a solid block of aluminum. We will see how good he builds the buffer board. Shouldn't be hard as Richard already shared the best circuit in public.

http://www.atmstore.es/clase-d-modelo-epm2/

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendo...-build-41.html

Great information here guys, thanks for sharing!

After reading here, I'm very interested in the same amps that Joe has procured as the price is attractive if the performance is as mentioned. Super cool.

But, I'm a little confused on what/how to purchase. Joe, did you buy the Sparkos Labs SS3602 Dual Op Amp x 2 on top of whatever was supplied with the units or were the Sparkso the standard? (or..did you purchase the nord One UP NC500 MB instead?)

Mike, you mention a higher noise floor with the current Nord Buffer board....are you referring to the ones that come stock or the Sparkos like Joe purchased?

I too like a little warmer than dead neutral sonic signature in general so am leaning toward the Sparkos. Any other suggestions for Op Amp options?

Thanks.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Great information here guys, thanks for sharing!

After reading here, I'm very interested in the same amps that Joe has procured as the price is attractive if the performance is as mentioned. Super cool.

But, I'm a little confused on what/how to purchase. Joe, did you buy the Sparkos Labs SS3602 Dual Op Amp x 2 on top of whatever was supplied with the units or were the Sparkso the standard? Mike, you mention a higher noise floor with the current Nord Buffer board....are you referring to ones that come stock or the Sparkos like Joe purchased?

I too like a little warmer than dead neutral sonic signature in general so am leaning toward the Sparkos. Any other suggestions for Op Amp options?

Thanks.
    Hi Mike,

Joe ordered the amps with the Sparko opamps pre-installed. It's an option with the Nord amps. Yes Joe has the old board. The noise is very low with the Sparko compared to normal class A/AB amp standards, but nowhere near as close as the -135dB noise floor of the NC-500's themselves. If you read the Diyaudio thread, you will see that nerdman (Richard) from Sonic imagery labs has publicly provided the circuit design for a much lower noise input board that plays nice with a wider variety of opamps such as his own 994. Since I already built a board using that circuit long before Colin from Nord even knew the NC 500's existed, I can confirm that it's a superior circuit. Colin from Nord has confirmed that he's tried the new circuit and it's better than his old one. So he's making a "revision C" board based on that circuit. However Hypex is backordered on the SMPS1200A700 power supplies until late May or so, so I'm not sure Colin can sell you an amp right now. Might have to wait till May. But good news is he will have his new board available by then.

Mike

What are the actual differences between the atm amps and the Nord Up amps other than the better casework. They offer the same OP Amp choices.

Mike

What are the actual differences between the atm amps and the Nord Up amps other than the better casework. They offer the same OP Amp choices.
    Until he provides details on the input boards I won't know for 100%. But sounds like he's actually going to have them measured. He will likely copy Richards circuit since there's a slim chance he will be able to come up with anything better. So in reality it should be the same as the Nord's, only in a much nicer case CNC machined from a solid brick of aluminum billet.

Competition sure is wonderful for the end consumer isn't it

Hi Mike,

Joe ordered the amps with the Sparko opamps pre-installed. It's an option with the Nord amps. Yes Joe has the old board. The noise is very low with the Sparko compared to normal class A/AB amp standards, but nowhere near as close as the -135dB noise floor of the NC-500's themselves. If you read the Diyaudio thread, you will see that nerdman (Richard) from Sonic imagery labs has publicly provided the circuit design for a much lower noise input board that plays nice with a wider variety of opamps such as his own 994. Since I already built a board using that circuit long before Colin from Nord even knew the NC 500's existed, I can confirm that it's a superior circuit. Colin from Nord has confirmed that he's tried the new circuit and it's better than his old one. So he's making a "revision C" board based on that circuit. However Hypex is backordered on the SMPS1200A700 power supplies until late May or so, so I'm not sure Colin can sell you an amp right now. Might have to wait till May. But good news is he will have his new board available by then.
    Thank you Mike! Great information you are sharing here.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Thank you Mike! Great information you are sharing here.
    No problem! There's been about 800000 views on the Hypex Ncore thread since I started talking about the NC-500 and all of the different buffer options that can implemented etc back on Sept 27th 2015. So I can just imagine the flood of NC 500 amps that we will be seeing pop up.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class...ncore-825.html

Super Moderator

Mike, MikeCh and Jack,

I easily think the Nords, the way that I have them, are better for my taste than the Devialet D400 that I had. I am excited and look forward to the possible updates with the new op amp and input board. Price to performance is off the hook great. Mike's advice to me has been spot on and I do think he has a great handle on what he's recommending.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Mike, MikeCh and Jack,

I easily think the Nords, the way that I have them, are better for my taste than the Devialet D400 that I had. I am excited and look forward to the possible updates with the new op amp and input board. Price to performance is off the hook great. Mike's advice to me has been spot on and I do think he has a great handle on what he's recommending.
    Thanks Joe! I forgot to add...congratulations on the new amps! If they're impressing you I know that says something about their sonic character.
    Avanti Audio

Not knowing much about the NCore technology, how do the Nord One Up NCore NC500 mono amplifiers compare (or if a comparison can even be made due to the NCore differences NC500 vs NC1200) with the Merrill Veritas amps?

I recall hearing the Merrill Veritas amps at RMAF 2014 driving the TAD E1 loudspeakers and it was impressive. Have wondered how to get good Class D since then on my budget, if even just to try them out...
    Avanti Audio

Mike

Merrill now has a NC500 amp but is stereo. Didn't know which configuration you were looking at for your system.

The Nurpime ST-10 and the W4S amps with the 3rd gen ICE modules are also good options.

Not knowing much about the NCore technology, how do the Nord One Up NCore NC500 mono amplifiers compare (or if a comparison can even be made due to the NCore differences NC500 vs NC1200) with the Merrill Veritas amps?

I recall hearing the Merrill Veritas amps at RMAF 2014 driving the TAD E1 loudspeakers and it was impressive. Have wondered how to get good Class D since then on my budget, if even just to try them out...
    The only real world advantage to the NC1200 vs the NC 500 is 2 ohm current capability. As far as sonic signature goes, it all depends on the input buffer used. Any differences in sound reported between the 2 are simply due to the input buffer implementation. The Merrill Vertias just uses the bone stock LM 4562 IC opamp based input buffer that come onboard the NC1200. More serious designs bypass the onboard IC opamp, and use discrete external buffers.

If someone wanted an comparable alternative to the Nords, I would look at the Bel Canto Black system. They use external buffers in that design. However I haven't personally compared them to see if they are as good as the Sonic Imagery 994 based discrete opamps or not.

Thanks for the additional information Jack and Mike.

Wow, there's lots of options in the NCore world to sift thru! More reading/research due here on my part, but the Nord amps like Joe's running are sure looking attractive.
    Avanti Audio

Mike

If you want to try the Nuprime amp you can do the 30 day thing at Audio Advisor. I didn't find that mine changed that much from right out of the box to even 300 hours. They only rate it at 150 wpc, but HiFi Test in Germany measured it at 200 and 300 wpc at 8 and 4 ohms. Return shipping shouldn't be much over $25 from Colorado to Michigan. Nuprime/Nuforce's variation of Class D is proprietary to them. Read Stephen Stones review in TAS.

I should have a pair of the Nord's in house later in the week so I can get a feel compared to the ST-10 and the mAMPS.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the additional information Jack and Mike.

Wow, there's lots of options in the NCore world to sift thru! More reading/research due here on my part, but the Nord amps like Joe's running are sure looking attractive.
    Mike,

I really like these amps. And they do not break the bank.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Thanks Joe! I forgot to add...congratulations on the new amps! If they're impressing you I know that says something about their sonic character.
    Thank you Mike. I appreciate the vote of confidence. They took a bit of break in for me but I absolutely love them now. Dead quiet, powerful, warm, sweet, 3D and so easy to listen to for hours on end.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the vote of confidence. They took a bit of break in for me but I absolutely love them now. Dead quiet, powerful, warm, sweet, 3D and so easy to listen to for hours on end.
    I can't wait to hear your impression on his new board and Sonic Imagery 994. With audio it's hard to know what you're missing until you hear it.

Mike

If you want to try the Nuprime amp you can do the 30 day thing at Audio Advisor. I didn't find that mine changed that much from right out of the box to even 300 hours. They only rate it at 150 wpc, but HiFi Test in Germany measured it at 200 and 300 wpc at 8 and 4 ohms. Return shipping shouldn't be much over $25 from Colorado to Michigan. Nuprime/Nuforce's variation of Class D is proprietary to them. Read Stephen Stones review in TAS.

I should have a pair of the Nord's in house later in the week so I can get a feel compared to the ST-10 and the mAMPS.

Thanks Jack, I'll keep the NuPrime in mind too. Please do post your impressions of the Nord when you can. Thanks.
    Avanti Audio

Super Moderator

I can't wait to hear your impression on his new board and Sonic Imagery 994. With audio it's hard to know what you're missing until you hear it.
    So true.

I am looking forward to it. Once everything settles down, I'll jump in and try it. I leave mine on 24x7 and mute when I am not listening. It's always ready to go and sounds great. Music is actively playing 10-16 hours a day, depending on schedule.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Mike,

And they do not break the bank.
    This is important!
    Avanti Audio

Seems like a nice combination for sure! I can live with break in as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Avanti Audio

Perfect, thanks again Mike.
    Avanti Audio

Super Moderator

Seems like a nice combination for sure! I can live with break in as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    There is and I do a lot of late night listening. Like the Devialet, details emerge from such a black background. Quiet room, low light, super quiet system and you can hear EVERYTHING. Just wonderful. Mike's (Mivera) advice has been honest and spot on. He has my confidence.
    Last edited by joeinid; March 27, 2016 at 12:25 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Perfect, thanks again Mike.
    No problem!

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....