Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time ..... - Page 185
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 185 of 185 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 180 181 182 183 184 185
Results 1,841 to 1,848 of 1848
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

It's real all right and applies to all Class D amps which do sound better if powered up all the time. Don't the later Nord amps have a switch on the back to turn the light off so it looks like the amp is off?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, Audia Flight FL Three S, Reynaud Abscissa Jubilee, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Mivera Purepower, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Doh! I owe you.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always open it up and disconnect the led in front so it will not glow anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Samoyed View Post
    Hmmm, I hope Colin follows that development. Here’s an odd one I’ve noted before. The MK II sounds much smoother and musical after five or six hours and the depth of sound stage improves! Real? Imagined? I don’t know but I now turn mine on about 5:30 am. No, SWMBO will not allow leaving it on.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Or, I could find a backbone.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes we have to just pick our battles. Don’t feel bad.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

Power consumption is pretty negligible if you aren't playing music through it, so it's definitely worth leaving on all the time.

I've been slowly upgrading my cables, starting with replacing all the oem cheapo power cables, then the speaker cable, and now I'm working on the interconnects. I decided to go with DH Labs since they seemed to offer well designed and built bulk cable at a very reasonable price, and there are plenty of excellent reviews.

After making DIY power cables and speaker cables from their bulk cable offerings and liking the results, I decided to buy a short 0.5M Revelation interconnect to use between my DAC and Preamp. Wow! Right out of the box, this cable blew away the Blue-Jean Belden XLRs I was using. It's now been running for about 24 hours and this cable is sounding SWEET.

Now I have to decide whether to upgrade the Preamp-Amp interconnects. I'm currently using a 2M pair of Mark Levinson cables that I bought about 20 years ago. These cables are on the short side for my installation. One of them is literally stretched tight between components. A 3M pair would work a lot better. I'm sure ML didn't make their own cable, but I'm not sure who they got it from. It certainly doesn't sound bad, but having compared the Blue Jean cables to the ML cable and only hearing a modest improvement, I'm thinking that the DH Labs Revelation could be a lot better.
    Windows PC Roon Server, Bryston BDP-2, Schiit Yggdrasil, Parasound JC2, Nord SE NC500 Mk II MB Rev D, GoldenEar Triton 2+

Post Thanks / Like

JayT, "I remember hearing my first class-D amp in the late 70s (made by Infinity if I recall), and it was truly awful, and would blow up at the drop of a hat. As an electronics engineer, I thought there was potential in the concept, but pretty dramatic strides in transistor switching speeds, control circuitry, and feedback design would be required before I'd consider owning one. I never really considered looking at Class D until I was forced to consider replacing my Krell, but I now do think that Class-D amps deserve consideration, particularly for more modest budgets". You remember correctly, the Infinity SWAMP amp designed by John Ulrich now with Spectron. It was unstable and had a hair trigger set to blow up on many speaker loads.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it sorted, Samoyed.

Page 185 of 185 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 180 181 182 183 184 185