Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142
Results 2,051 to 2,097 of 2097

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

I would love to try a Hattor but I blew my budget getting the Nord. I think I am going to try a Tisbury passive preamp for two reasons. First is affordability and second is the ability to lower the gain.

I am using a Schiit SYS and the gain comes on way to quick. By 10 AM on the volume it is screaming loud. The Tisbury has three gain settings: unity, -10db, and -20 db.

Or I could try some -15db Rothwell Attenuators with the SYS. Anybody have experience using the Rothwells?

Because it has been tremendously busy lately, so I didn't have any time to share my impressions from listening to the warmed Nord. Meanwhile, it has over 600 hours in stock and I can't hear any further progressive changes in sound.

I can start with the fact that Nord stays. What impressed me the most was the amazing differentiation of the instruments. The differences are given in the palm of your hand, if I had to show kids differences in sound, flute, saxophone (and individual types of saxophones among themselves), oboe, classical guitar with nylon, metal strings etc. Nord would be an ideal tool. The difference in this aspect, in resolution, richness of micro information, sound purity, control over the sound in relation to Sim is huge. Listening to all jazz, rock and electronic music recordings with added inclusions played on classical instruments, I am still impressed with their sound compared to any other synthetic / electronic part (instruments, sounds). Nord differentiates these sounds remarkably, showing the differences at a glance, and these instruments come out extremely naturally / truly with all the richness of reverbs.

Many people focus on the bass, its descent and control when writing about Nord. Yes it is spectacular but it is not that Nord is just super bass and nothing more. The bass is well controlled, regardless of the speed and density of the instruments, be it 2 Cellos Celloverse (The Trooper - Overture) or Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven under Reiner from the Chicago Symphony. However, I was more impressed by the resolution, clarity and timbre differentiation, which is why all natural instruments and human voices sound so wildly. Thanks to this purity and excellent articulation, we get a huge amount of flavors, plankton and detail stitched on discs in the background, which greatly increases the impression of event realism. The vocals beautifully capture the emotional elements that the artist tried to depict as well as the specific character of the artist's voice. A nice example is, for example, the Toy album by the band Yellow, listen to the duo (Malia and Boris Blank) in Starlight Scene (or the voice of Fifi Rong in Kiss the Cloud). Thanks to this, the understanding of the sung text is simply improved.

Of course, electronic music is also great, I was happy to return to the albums of J.M.Jarre, my favorite Tangerine Dream or Vollenweider or Klaus Schulze. Here, juicy deep and well-controlled bass helps, but above all the indicator of listening pleasure is the quality of the recording. With such precision, unfortunately you can immediately hear something being kicked. It is enough, however, that it was medium decently recorded and it's ok, it applies to all kinds of music. For example, DeMono from the Golden Collection sounds very good, as well as the double album Maanam - Love Is Wonderful (Mental Cut - also listens with pleasure - some polish records).

There was a question whether listen to the Nord is not tired in the long run. After proper heating, nothing like that happens. The last element that changed was the opening of the treble and with it the final smoothing of the sound. generally, Nord is neutral, has a flesh, does not embellish or round anything, do not improve the sound of the system with it to make it nicer, warmer or more pleasant (like e.g. McIntosh tube preamps will work). Nord will show you how your system sounds, but it is not thin or dry by itself, it does not brighten the system. It is very sensitive to the power cable, which I wrote about earlier, and it can be a surprising experience how very much you can model its sound by choosing different power cords. I tested 4 and each clearly influenced the presentation, so much that it makes matter with which it is combined. It can also be a reason for which a given sound may simply not be approached by someone. I will only add that my Pre (ARC Ref.5) is not beautifying or rounding. ARc is rather cool, resolving and precise. The elements that soften my habits can be only columns for me and maybe IC XLO Limited. No less resultant of the system allows for long relaxed listening sessions, adorned with lots of detail in the background

It seems to me that if you put this sound in a box with the logo of a recognized manufacturer, the price would go up at least several times. This sound at the price offered by Nord is absolutely an opportunity. The last thing I can think about is the lifetime of Ncore modules. Sim, like McIntosch, is built like a tank and rather guarantees longevity. I don't know what to expect from Ncors, although Nord itself looks solid, but I'll find out for myself. For my part, I can only recommend your own listening session.
    Source - Metronome Technologie AQWO; Preamp - ARC Ref. 5; Power amp Gryphon Antileon Evo ; Speakers - Dynaudio Confidence C4 ; Wires - XLR: Hijiri Milion, Shunyata Sigma V2; speakers Tellurium Q Silver Diamond; power cables: CD- Hijiri Takumi, Pre amp - Hijiri Takumi, Power amp - Synergistic Research Foundation 10AWG HC.

Quote Originally Posted by PMD View Post
    Because it has been tremendously busy lately, so I didn't have any time to share my impressions from listening to the warmed Nord. Meanwhile, it has over 600 hours in stock and I can't hear any further progressive changes in sound.

I can start with the fact that Nord stays. What impressed me the most was the amazing differentiation of the instruments. The differences are given in the palm of your hand, if I had to show kids differences in sound, flute, saxophone (and individual types of saxophones among themselves), oboe, classical guitar with nylon, metal strings etc. Nord would be an ideal tool. The difference in this aspect, in resolution, richness of micro information, sound purity, control over the sound in relation to Sim is huge. Listening to all jazz, rock and electronic music recordings with added inclusions played on classical instruments, I am still impressed with their sound compared to any other synthetic / electronic part (instruments, sounds). Nord differentiates these sounds remarkably, showing the differences at a glance, and these instruments come out extremely naturally / truly with all the richness of reverbs.

Many people focus on the bass, its descent and control when writing about Nord. Yes it is spectacular but it is not that Nord is just super bass and nothing more. The bass is well controlled, regardless of the speed and density of the instruments, be it 2 Cellos Celloverse (The Trooper - Overture) or Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven under Reiner from the Chicago Symphony. However, I was more impressed by the resolution, clarity and timbre differentiation, which is why all natural instruments and human voices sound so wildly. Thanks to this purity and excellent articulation, we get a huge amount of flavors, plankton and detail stitched on discs in the background, which greatly increases the impression of event realism. The vocals beautifully capture the emotional elements that the artist tried to depict as well as the specific character of the artist's voice. A nice example is, for example, the Toy album by the band Yellow, listen to the duo (Malia and Boris Blank) in Starlight Scene (or the voice of Fifi Rong in Kiss the Cloud). Thanks to this, the understanding of the sung text is simply improved.

Of course, electronic music is also great, I was happy to return to the albums of J.M.Jarre, my favorite Tangerine Dream or Vollenweider or Klaus Schulze. Here, juicy deep and well-controlled bass helps, but above all the indicator of listening pleasure is the quality of the recording. With such precision, unfortunately you can immediately hear something being kicked. It is enough, however, that it was medium decently recorded and it's ok, it applies to all kinds of music. For example, DeMono from the Golden Collection sounds very good, as well as the double album Maanam - Love Is Wonderful (Mental Cut - also listens with pleasure - some polish records).

There was a question whether listen to the Nord is not tired in the long run. After proper heating, nothing like that happens. The last element that changed was the opening of the treble and with it the final smoothing of the sound. generally, Nord is neutral, has a flesh, does not embellish or round anything, do not improve the sound of the system with it to make it nicer, warmer or more pleasant (like e.g. McIntosh tube preamps will work). Nord will show you how your system sounds, but it is not thin or dry by itself, it does not brighten the system. It is very sensitive to the power cable, which I wrote about earlier, and it can be a surprising experience how very much you can model its sound by choosing different power cords. I tested 4 and each clearly influenced the presentation, so much that it makes matter with which it is combined. It can also be a reason for which a given sound may simply not be approached by someone. I will only add that my Pre (ARC Ref.5) is not beautifying or rounding. ARc is rather cool, resolving and precise. The elements that soften my habits can be only columns for me and maybe IC XLO Limited. No less resultant of the system allows for long relaxed listening sessions, adorned with lots of detail in the background

It seems to me that if you put this sound in a box with the logo of a recognized manufacturer, the price would go up at least several times. This sound at the price offered by Nord is absolutely an opportunity. The last thing I can think about is the lifetime of Ncore modules. Sim, like McIntosch, is built like a tank and rather guarantees longevity. I don't know what to expect from Ncors, although Nord itself looks solid, but I'll find out for myself. For my part, I can only recommend your own listening session.
    Great post, and great description of the Nord amplifiers!!
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

There was a question whether listen to the Nord is not tired in the long run. After proper heating, nothing like that happens. The last element that changed was the opening of the treble and with it the final smoothing of the sound. generally, Nord is neutral, has a flesh, does not embellish or round anything, do not improve the sound of the system with it to make it nicer, warmer or more pleasant (like e.g. McIntosh tube preamps will work). Nord will show you how your system sounds, but it is not thin or dry by itself, it does not brighten the system. It is very sensitive to the power cable, which I wrote about earlier, and it can be a surprising experience how very much you can model its sound by choosing different power cords. I tested 4 and each clearly influenced the presentation, so much that it makes matter with which it is combined. It can also be a reason for which a given sound may simply not be approached by someone. I will only add that my Pre (ARC Ref.5) is not beautifying or rounding. ARc is rather cool, resolving and precise. The elements that soften my habits can be only columns for me and maybe IC XLO Limited. No less resultant of the system allows for long relaxed listening sessions, adorned with lots of detail in the background...
    It seems that PSRR is insufficient so that the quality of the power supply does not affect the sound, a very common problem that many try to solve by buying expensive power cables, some of which act as simple low pass filters. The logical and cheapest solution is to try first with a good RF / EMI filtering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_...ejection_ratio

Quote Originally Posted by maty View Post
    The logical and cheapest solution is to try first with a good RF / EMI filtering.

Or an iFi AC iPurifier ($100) on the receptacle next to the amplifier power cord. Works great in my experience.
    https://ifi-audio.com/products/ac-ipurifier/

Attached Images Attached Images
    1. ITX PC - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800SL - Thiel CS3.7
    2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCMP6200 - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000
    3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Audeze LCDi3 - Neumann KH 80 DSP
    4. Phone - TempoTec Sonata E44 - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk
    5. PC - Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Chu

But there are a problem, other graph is FALSE:

Würth make ferrites than work f > 150 kHz. Only cheap ferrites work > 1 MHz, to video band. RF / EMI filters work > 10 -20 kHz.

And... they are cheaper!!!

But there are a problem, other graph is FALSE:

Würth make ferrites than work f > 150 kHz. Only cheap ferrites work > 1 MHz, to video band. RF / EMI filters work > 10 -20 kHz.

And... they are cheaper!!!
    Hello Maty
    Do you have a link to see the Würth ferrites?
    If they are cheap, mabye its worth to try

https://www.google.com/search?q=wurt...khz+8mm+12.5mm

I have a lot of 8 mm and only one or two of 12.5 mm (two audio systems, two powerstrip).

What devices do you want them for? What problems have you detected?

I am considering supporting Nord under Magnepan 3.7i . Has the darling had the opportunity to listen to whether the Nord NC 500 will be able to properly power these speakers?
    Source - Metronome Technologie AQWO; Preamp - ARC Ref. 5; Power amp Gryphon Antileon Evo ; Speakers - Dynaudio Confidence C4 ; Wires - XLR: Hijiri Milion, Shunyata Sigma V2; speakers Tellurium Q Silver Diamond; power cables: CD- Hijiri Takumi, Pre amp - Hijiri Takumi, Power amp - Synergistic Research Foundation 10AWG HC.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...84/post-255964

Magnepan 3.7i -> minimum 2 Ohms at 500 Hz -> Hypex SMPS a lot of heat!

Distance to the speakers?

12 feet, you need amp with 200 watts at 2 Ohms.

If you live in NA, AVA SET 400 maybe a good idea.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...84/post-256025

https://www.google.com/search?q=wurt...khz+8mm+12.5mm

I have a lot of 8 mm and only one or two of 12.5 mm (two audio systems, two powerstrip).

What devices do you want them for? What problems have you detected?
    I detect no problem in my power line or in my power cables, but I've changed cables and I've got better sound, so I thought may be I could try some Split Core Ferrite to see if they make a difference, as they are cheap.

I believe Nord amps, like almost any other class D amp, are very sensitive to AC power quality. I've installed a dedicated AC line and I've upgraded the power cord and both made a good improvement. So, maybe spending about $30 won't be much of a risk.

What do you think? would you recomend trying some Split Core Ferrites? What differences have they made on your system? where (in the cable) do you recomend to place them? on what cables (power, interconnects, etc)?

If we have a lot of noise and interference through the mains, we need amplifier to have a PSRR of 90 dB or more, which is the case of the new PURIFI and not the Hypex NCxxx.

Hypex NC500 has only PSRR of 85 dB.

If with the change of the wiring we notice differences in the sound is that we have problems and our audio system is unable to avoid it.

DC aside, we will need to add RF / EMI filtering. With filters and / or ferrites 150 kHz.

What kind of power cable is it? Is it shielded?

[Spanish] https://nauscopio.wordpress.com/2013...lberkontakten/

to English:

* https://translate.google.com/transla...erkontakten%2F

* https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref...lberkontakten/

Spending little money on a good power cable I got an improvement over the typical and cheap one. Since then I looked for a professional solution much more effective and cheaper than the purchase of esoteric cables that work like LPF (low pass filter) with very few dB of attenuation.

I have a thread in Audiocircle: How to clean the DC at mains. And ripple too

In the audio system, a good idea:

Wall -> shielded cable -> powerstrip -> unshielded cable -> preamp, amp, CD player...

Then you can add the RF/EMI filters in different places of the chain but the ferrite 150 kHz, if necessary, better over the unshielded cable.

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/.../#post-3803804

Posted on behalf of the op, if it breaks any rules please just delete.

all sorted now thank goodness .
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

I am in the process of submitting an order for a Nord amp (one of their basic 2 channel power units, with no trigger, BUT just had a couple of people telling me to "hang fire", as the PS Audio Stellar S 300 is a great piece of kit, and will suit my needs, to power my front pair of Amphion Argon 1 speakers... any advice? Nord is British and PS Audio is stateside, not that makes any difference. I like a "brighter sound" if that makes a difference

Peter

Peter, which amp are your considering? because ps audio contains ice power.

and the most famous Nord is nc500 or nc1200.

its one of the NC 500 (at the budget end tho...£1400, not sure what that is in $

I have not compared both but Colin will tell you that the nc500 is better than icepower

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Allison View Post
    its one of the NC 500 (at the budget end tho...£1400, not sure what that is in $

thats what I thought too. Thanks

You can check Apollon audio website too

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I have not compared both but Colin will tell you that the nc500 is better than icepower

Peter,
    you mention you have Amphion Argon 1 speakers

could you give me some inputs on their qualities for you? i have read some good reviews about them!

Thanks,
    Pascal

The Nord NC-500 amp especially with the buffer is a more current product than the Icepower module used in the 300. The 700 mono's would be a closer contest.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

The Amphion Argon 1's are a fairly laid back speaker. I like the slightly unusual looks. There is really not much to say other than they are well liked by Audiophile UK (Facebook page) and get rave reviews in a lot of the European hi fi press
    Argon1 – Amphion Loudspeakers
    Peter

I have tested new SR Orange fuse in my SE NC500 MKII in place of SR Blue. I have to say it's noticeably better sound at a similar price (SR Blue is little cheaper now, SR Orange keeps price of former SR Blue).

Unfortunately they did not have 5A so I ordered 6.3A. Generally, the opinions expressed by users about their character are confirmed. So more refined Blue. Although in my opinion these changes are rather not cosmetics, but still another higher level (it's the same character only more refined / slightly better). While the change at the top is smaller, but clear, more detail is heard, it is more voiced and more volatile, it has longer decay, but at the bottom of the change it is quite big. The bass not only has better control, but also more diversity, more nuances are heard, the sound is not as "bulky" as in the Blue but also did not get a hard contour, it is still sufficiently elastic but at the same time better collected, and above all more diverse. Macro dynamics, speed and drive have improved, at the same time I have the impression that the sound has more culture / coherence, it is not thrown on the face like in the Blue but with more refinement. The whole sound goes towards even greater clarity but with refinement - there is no vivisection or blood from the ears, you can hear more, but due to greater coherence / culture it gives the effect of greater fluidity (at least on my speakers). The space has also improved, it is more plastic and a little more distant, Blue throw everything more on the face, Orange hold a little longer distance, they are not so "intrusive".

Hello and Greetings,

While this is my first post, it is the lively discussions on this thread that inspired me to get myself a Nord One NC500DM MKII
    . I have had this power amplifier for a little over a year and I'm very happy and impressed with it.

Lately, I've been wondering what a tube based pre-amplifier might bring to the party. Specifically the well reviewed Schitt Freya +. If any of you use the Freya + (using the tube stage) to drive the Nord, could you spare some time and jot down your views? And even if you happen o have heard the combo, I'd love to hear what you have to say? Something tells me that this will be a killer combo.

My current Pre is the Wyred4Sound STP SE and it's wonderful. As such I have zero complaints.

I look forward to comments.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Krish View Post
    Hello and Greetings,

While this is my first post, it is the lively discussions on this thread that inspired me to get myself a Nord One NC500DM MKII
    . I have had this power amplifier for a little over a year and I'm very happy and impressed with it.

Lately, I've been wondering what a tube based pre-amplifier might bring to the party. Specifically the well reviewed Schitt Freya +. If any of you use the Freya + (using the tube stage) to drive the Nord, could you spare some time and jot down your views? And even if you happen o have heard the combo, I'd love to hear what you have to say? Something tells me that this will be a killer combo.

My current Pre is the Wyred4Sound STP SE and it's wonderful. As such I have zero complaints.

Cheers.
    Welcome !

The STP-SE is a nice pre-amp and a few of us on here own it.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Well, thank you kindly, Chris!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Welcome !

The STP-SE is a nice pre-amp and a few of us on here own it.
    I love my stage 2 STP-SE.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Yes, the Wyred4Sound STP-SE is superb pre-amplifier that punches above it's price point.

Is there any one out there using Nord amps with ATC speakers, if so I would like to hear your thoughts at your system. I love the ATC speaker sound however to get the best out of ATC speakers they need powerful amp with strong steady output. Nord gear are markedly cheaper to the competition and are known for power. I am interested to see if they can be matched with ATC or do they lack eg refinement to bring the best out of the speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    Is there any one out there using Nord amps with ATC speakers, if so I would like to hear your thoughts at your system. I love the ATC speaker sound however to get the best out of ATC speakers they need powerful amp with strong steady output. Nord gear are markedly cheaper to the competition and are known for power. I am interested to see if they can be matched with ATC or do they lack eg refinement to bring the best out of the speakers?
    I found that ATC SCM19 sounded much better with Nord NC500 MKI compared to 45W Croft Amp I had... which is good amp too.
    Then I change to SCM40s and still enjoyed it.
    Lumin D1 + MCRU PSU, Hattor Passive, Nord One SE NC500DM MKI REV C, ATC SCM 40, Mogami XLRs, VanDamme XLRs, Tellurium Q black SC

-Mirek

Quote Originally Posted by Krish View Post
    Hello and Greetings,

Cheers.
    i would stick with what you have. the freya is good but not exceptional imho .
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

If anyone's interested, I have 2 Nord NC500 Rev C Buffer Boards with Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amps for sale.

I've upgraded to Rev D, done by Colin himself.

They were £250 each, I'm asking £200 for both.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

With the hot weather in the UK the last few days I'm wondering what temperatures my Nord amp can run safely?

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Hello all,

Well my Nord NC500's went kuput. Actually one went, I had it fixed, and when I got it back and put it back in the system the other one was gone! (I have 2 stereo amps using an electronic crossover: one for the bass panels and one for the mids/ribbon tweets)

I have left them on 24/7 for 4 years, and that was it. As I didnt' know the cause of the issue I took it to the best repair shop I could find in my area, and they replaced the caps in the SMPS1200 power supply. The caps were upgraded to Nichicon in one of the amps, and the other used stock Su'scon's. Both are back, working fabulously, and I have a new focus on my hifi system; plenty of changes being made as I am recently semi-retired.

Love the amps, but I suppose the lifespan is 4 years. The ironic part is I got these to get away from repairing my 20 year old Mcintosh amps!
    Tidal/Roon>exaSound Playpoint>exaSound e22>Marchand XM44>Nord OneUp NC500 x2>Magneplaner 3.6r: Wireworld digital, Audio Zen Silver reference II XLR, Audio Zen Satori speaker cables, Transparent Plus & Audio Sensibility Statement XLR's, Transparent Plus speaker cables, Audio Sensibility Testament power cords, Solid Tech reference rack, Feet of silence, Mye Stands, Plixir BDC linear power supply, RCPC Pro 400, Audio Magic Stealth power conditioner, Hubbell outlets & dedicated lines, DIY RPG and N11 Quadratic diffusors and Primacoustic absorption panels

What is the difference with new caps? (in sound)

Sorry you experienced issues with your amplifier after only 4 years. Makes me happy that NAD is backing their new Purifi amplifier with a 5 year warranty.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

What is the difference with new caps? (in sound)
    I don't know yet. Not an easy A/B event, as one amp has SI994's in it (the one with the Nichicon's) and the other has Sparkos. I don't expect much difference as they are just in the power supply, but I am no expert on the matter. I might get around to seeing the differences at some point.
    Tidal/Roon>exaSound Playpoint>exaSound e22>Marchand XM44>Nord OneUp NC500 x2>Magneplaner 3.6r: Wireworld digital, Audio Zen Silver reference II XLR, Audio Zen Satori speaker cables, Transparent Plus & Audio Sensibility Statement XLR's, Transparent Plus speaker cables, Audio Sensibility Testament power cords, Solid Tech reference rack, Feet of silence, Mye Stands, Plixir BDC linear power supply, RCPC Pro 400, Audio Magic Stealth power conditioner, Hubbell outlets & dedicated lines, DIY RPG and N11 Quadratic diffusors and Primacoustic absorption panels

I have two pairs of Sparkos SS3602 opamps if anyone is interested, £70 a pair posted. If anyone is running Sonic Imagery 994s and has been wondering what the Sparkos sound like.
    I also have a pair of Orange opamps, £50 posted.

These are all for the Nord One SE UP NC500DM or twin mono block version.

Has anyone connected REL subwoofers to their Nord?

I have the Nord One NCx500DM MKII Dual Mono Stereo so needed one subwoofer for the left and one for the right speaker.

A few days ago I purchased 2 REL S/510s.

I read that with class d not to connect the black wire to the negative (-) terminal.

I found two posts elsewhere that claim the negative is ground (compatible) instead of Above ground (typical class D). Only if this is true, you may just connect it as a non-Class D amp. It's best to e-mail both manufacturers to confirm.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Found this on the REL Support website"

Security check
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I contacted Colin (Nord) via email and he said it is alright to connect the black.
    I hope he understood the question I was asking.
    The Nord is class d, so it looks like all class d are not the same.
    I'm still having second thoughts about connecting the black wire though.......

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Dummies View Post
    I contacted Colin (Nord) via email and he said it is alright to connect the black.
    I hope he understood the question I was asking.
    The Nord is class d, so it looks like all class d are not the same.
    I'm still having second thoughts about connecting the black wire though.......
    I wouldn't. If you're connecting via the high level inputs, one can connect an unused RCA jack in the preamp to an unused RCA jack in the Rel (as they recommend). I've had my Rels connected that way with class D amps.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Phil A View Post
    I wouldn't. If you're connecting via the high level inputs, one can connect an unused RCA jack in the preamp to an unused RCA jack in the Rel (as they recommend). I've had my Rels connected that way with class D amps.
    I've decided to go the route you suggested. I've just ordered a couple of cheapish 5 metre subwoofer cables to run from my preamp to the .1 on the subs.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....