Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time ..... - Page 162
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 162 of 162 FirstFirst ... 62 112 152 157 158 159 160 161 162
Results 1,611 to 1,614 of 1614
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

Re the Freya, the only tubes I tried were the Tung-Sols, so maybe I haven't given it enough of a try. I've gone through two sets of these and each time they started making a lot of noise after 6-9 months of use, so I've been reluctant to invest in expensive NOS tubes. I also blew a tweeter on my old speakers (Totem Mani-2 which I repaired and still have in another system) when I switched output modes and got a loud pop. It may have been the result of one of the tubes wearing out, but it has soured me somewhat on the Freya. And, as I mentioned in my first post, I HATE the indecipherable little symbols that Schiit uses on their front panel.

So I've been using the Freya with the FET buffer only over the past few months. I have to say that for the money, it's an excellent sounding unit, and the remote is nice and simple and works fine for volume up/dn which is all I use it for. But since I'm willing to spend a few thousand dollars or so, I think I can find a better sounding preamp without the Freya's quirks.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure any good/great preamp will work perfectly with the Nord amps.

One of the main reasons for using the stp-se was because of a lower gain which was necessary for my Job amps. You don’t have the same issues with Nord so either Pass, Bryston or another great preamp will mate perfectly.
    Joe

Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, MC275VI, MC452, MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300,
    Pass XA25, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2,
    McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that the Freya very much displays different synergy with different amps. It also really shows the difference in various tubes. I personally feel the standard Russian NOS tubes are a much better choice then the Tung-Sols they offer as an "upgrade".

The Schiit pre-amp, in my experience really does very well with NOS tubes. I currently have a set of 1956 CBS 5692 Brown Bases and a set of early 1950's Sylvania Chrome Doomes in it. It is a remarkable pre-amp, very flexible. It sounds much different with my Audio Mirror, T+A, and McIntosh amps. All very good, but different. I am starting to think I like the synergy with the T+A amplifier the best.

Therefore I believe the Freya would match up nicely with the Ncore amplifiers, but probably would do a better job with different tubes.
    Schiit Freya; Audio Mirror SET 45; T+A AMP 8; McIntosh MC754; T+A DAC 8 DSD
    Falcon NW Tiki; W4S Recovery; Roon & HQPlayer; KEF R700; Dennis Had Dragon Inspire IHA-1
    Focal Clear; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; AudioQuest Niagara 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Congratulations! The Stage 2 stp-se is outstanding and an amazing bargain for the price. I hate to say it, but there’s really no comparison to the base model. It’s better in every way.
    I agree. I use the STP-SE stage 2 in my second system. The transparency achieved with the resistor upgrade makes a HUGE difference. Resistors are similar to what VAC uses in their top models. Crazy good for the money.
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-seven DAC, Totaldac d1-server with Gigafilter
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo
    Power products: Synergistic Research Power Cell 12 UEF and Transporter Ultra. Galileo power cords.

5. Thanks joeinid, Matias thanked for this post

Page 162 of 162 FirstFirst ... 62 112 152 157 158 159 160 161 162