Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time ..... - Page 161
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 161 of 185 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 171 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1849
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

The Hypex SMPS PSU are designed to have ultra low EMI "The SMPS1200 is optimized from the first phase of design to final implementation to realize the lowest possible EMI signature required of the most demanding audio applications" We lay out our amps to give short cable runs, if we turned the PSU around the other way, double the length of high voltage cable would be required resulting in higher EMI. We are design engineers and to be honest either way makes no difference to SQ or noise.

We will very shortly announce a NC1200 amplifier with our buffer stage designed and tested, we hope will be around £3.5K depending on OK from Hypex.
    We have a new TFT, micro controlled TVC Pre Amp with many highly advanced features about 2-3 weeks away.
    A new high end case designed and the first 2 prototypes will go into production next week.
    So finish will be main criteria, black hard anodizing, body, with polished and lacquered lid, 20mm walls and base, with 10mm lid weighing in at around 12Kg, Stereo version to follow very shortly. Front lines will be polished 2mm Stainless rods bonded into slots.
    And complete with our lovely new embossed aluminium badge.

Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk Nord Acoustics design and manufacture Nord Amplifiers in the UK. Hypex and ICE Power Amplifier Stereo to 8 Channel Amplifiers. We ship Worldwide.

2. Likes joeinid, Matias liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk Nord Acoustics design and manufacture Nord Amplifiers in the UK. Hypex and ICE Power Amplifier Stereo to 8 Channel Amplifiers. We ship Worldwide.

4. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Colin for this great news. I can't wait to see what happens next with the stereo model.
    FLAC from Computer => Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital => Yamaha R-S700 (soon Hypex NC502MP) => JBL 4430
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. William Shakespeare

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sypderman88 View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking of trying Nord NC500 MKII with SI990. My current amp is Job 225 driving Spatial Hologram M3 speaker. Will this be a substantial upgrade ? Kindly advise. Thanks
    FWIW, Joeinid's comparision of Job v Nord UP monos/ SI 994 (bearing in mind the latter paired with tube preamp)

https://www.audioshark.org/showthrea...l=1#post212138

7. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New to the forum. I was looking at buying a pair of Bel Canto REF600Ms when I ran across a post that mentioned the Nord's used the same NCore modules. After reading through this entire post (lots of interesting info), I decided to order the Nord NC500 MkII with SI990 buffer and NeoTech wire upgrade.

I have been using a Krell FFB300 that I purchased about 25 years ago, but it is starting to have some problems. I have already re-capped it once about 8 years ago, but the right channel is now exhibiting some distortion when it warms up, and there is occasional mechanical buzzing from the transformer. I no longer have the shipping boxes, so I'm hoping to sell it cheap to someone local that wants to deal with getting it repaired.

Other gear in the chain are a PC based Roon server networked to a Bryston BDP-2 with AES-EBU to a Schiit Yggdrasil, balanced to a Schiit Freya preamp. Speakers are Goldenear Triton 2+.

The Triton 2+'s are a relatively new addition. These are set up in a fairly small listening room (about 14' x 14'). The almost equal length and width dimensions make room acoustics challenging, but with some tube traps in the front corners and center wall, and bass trap/diffusors on the wall behind the couch, the sound of these speakers is pretty spectacular. I've owned a fair number of high end speakers (Magnepan Tympani IV, MG3.5R, Revel Gems & Studios, Duntech Sovereigns) over the years, and these are the most impressive speakers for the money by far that I've experienced.

I've been pretty happy with the Schiit Yggy DAC, but less so the Freya preamp. I've swapped out the tubes twice with "upgraded" tubes, but have never really experienced the tube "magic", and the tubes don't seem to last more than 6-9 months before they start to make weird noises. I also hate the tiny, incomprehensible symbols on the front panel. I have to pull out the manual to figure out what mode I'm in. So my next upgrade is to replace the Freya. I'm currently thinking about the Bryston BP-17 cubed but I'm open to suggestions. I'm leaning heavily toward SS because I don't want to deal with tube life issues.

Anyway, thanks for all the great info. Seems like a nice group of enthusiasts who respect each other's opinions.

9. Likes Showroom Dummies liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JayT View Post
    So my next upgrade is to replace the Freya. I'm currently thinking about the Bryston BP-17 cubed but I'm open to suggestions. I'm leaning heavily toward SS because I don't want to deal with tube life issues.
    I recently got a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE stage 2. Check out the 6moons review which is very detailed. SS and highly tweaked, plus I got it with a very good price used on Audiogon.
    1. Sonore ultraRendu - Uptone ISO Regen - Calyx Femto - Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE stage 2 - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
    2. JRiver - Burson Conductor V2+ - Audeze LCD-XC - Calyx Femti - Monitor Audio PL100
    3. JRiver - SMSL iDEA - 1More Triple Driver IEM

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matias View Post
    I recently got a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE stage 2. Check out the 6moons review which is very detailed. SS and highly tweaked, plus I got it with a very good price used on Audiogon.
    Congratulations! The Stage 2 stp-se is outstanding and an amazing bargain for the price. I hate to say it, but there’s really no comparison to the base model. It’s better in every way.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12

13. Thanks Matias thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JayT View Post
    I've been pretty happy with the Schiit Yggy DAC, but less so the Freya preamp. I've swapped out the tubes twice with "upgraded" tubes, but have never really experienced the tube "magic", and the tubes don't seem to last more than 6-9 months before they start to make weird noises. I also hate the tiny, incomprehensible symbols on the front panel. I have to pull out the manual to figure out what mode I'm in. So my next upgrade is to replace the Freya. I'm currently thinking about the Bryston BP-17 cubed but I'm open to suggestions. I'm leaning heavily toward SS because I don't want to deal with tube life issues.
    I've been researching the Freya extensively the last few days, seems to be a great value and many folks love it. I wonder if your 25 year old Krell was holding it back? I know my system wasn't unleashed until I went Rev D on my Nords! I heard every single improvement I made upstream but there was no magic until the Rev Ds. I don't think the couple of 25 year old Threshold amps I have lying around would have been better but I guess I should have tried them out. I would love to hear what tubes you tried in the Freya and feel free to PM me when you put it up for sale but I would wait until you try it out with your new Nords.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Matias and Joe - I have looked at the W4S preamp. I have a W4S Dac-2 that I use in another system. It was pretty easily bested by the Schiit Yggy, but the Yggy is somewhat more expensive and is a newer design. But the STP-SE with the Stage 2 upgrade has certainly received plenty of accolades and looks like an excellent value.

I have a bunch of old gear in my basement that I am hoping to trade-in on (toward) a new preamp through one of the two local dealers that take trade-ins. I don't have the original boxes for most of my stuff, so trying to sell it on audiogon, ebay, etc would be a lot of hassle. One of the dealers carries Bryston and the other carries Parasound, which is one of the reasons I've been leaning toward the BP-17 cubed and the JC-2.

If I went with a used preamp, I'd probably lean toward the Pass XP-10 or XP-12. I built one of Nelson Pass's DIY designs (40w class A amp) in the late 70's and have fond memories of the experience and sound, and I think the Pass preamp would work well with the Nord amps.

Page 161 of 185 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 171 ... LastLast