Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Taking a break

Golucid's Rig [Equipment]

This is the audio gear I have acquired over the past 2 years and yes, I am a young novice. [Oh yes, I do have two theaters. Wait for that in another post]

Anyway, what I have accumulated is a work in progress so don't be too harsh . I have captured photos in my usual style...with enthusiasm [I like funky]. Be that as it may, I am building a house and will have a dedicated sound-proof music room. Until then, this is the way my gear looks, I know...so sad but the silver lining is that it is temporary.

There are a pair of speakers my dad gave me...and I will never part with them. They are Advents. They are kewl like my dad! I have showcased speaker cable connected to the advents to the the McIntosh...mmmm good...Genuine HomeDepot Copper...they rock!

THE MAIN GEAR

SPEAKERS: Martin Logan Summit X and Vienna Acoustics

MCD1100 stored temporarily. Klaudio and AutoDesk now retired since July 2015. I use a ClearAudio Double Matrix Sonic.

Another McIntosh Amp for my gym + Aurender

Another view

C2500 located in Gym

My dad gave me these Advents. I love them. They remind me of my pops every time I use them.

HomeDepot speaker cable. Yeahhhh!

Located in my guest house

Located in the garage

Located in the Bath

I have several places I store my vinyl. I had this built. The unit stores 15K CDs with some vinyl and other toys.

Re: Golucid's Rig [Equipment]

David. Wow you have very nice system every where. I think you have more McIntosh gear than my Mc dealer !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

This is first time I see more Mc gear than Rick's place. Isn't it Mike ?

Paul

David...You have a distinctive style that separates you from the rest. Very cool expression and system interpretation.

Speakeasy

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    David...You have a distinctive style that separates you from the rest. Very cool expression and system interpretation.
    Next up, a R2R just like yours! I want...it all.

A young novice with a shit ton of cash. Nice systems man! There are times when I miss the MA7000 and the ML Summits. Thanks for sharing!

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    A young novice with a shit ton of cash. Nice systems man! There are times when I miss the MA7000 and the ML Summits. Thanks for sharing!
    LOL. I do enjoy my check book from time to time. Believe it or not, I am rather conservative...yeah, you don't believe me. But ask Mike - I never make rash purchases.

What's a checkbook? hehe

Oh, and I have no problems believing you. Enjoy basking in the glow of those McIntosh lights. Who needs a heat rock when you have a set of 2301's?

Pretty Cool David

I need to ask Mike of AC about that Mc accessory stand...

McIntosh - PMC - Aurender - Kimber Kable - WW - Core Audio Designs

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    What's a checkbook? hehe

Oh, and I have no problems believing you. Enjoy basking in the glow of those McIntosh lights. Who needs a heat rock when you have a set of 2301's?
    I have another set of 2301 in storage. I purchased a pair mint for 9k. A real steel. I've run out of things to buy...thinking a Reel 2 Reel might be in my future as well as another turn table...and a ClearAudio Gold Finger. Though, pretty happy with the Ortofon Windfeld.

Quote Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
    I have another set of 2301 in storage. I purchased a pair mint for 9k. A real steel. I've run out of things to buy...thinking a Reel 2 Reel might be in my future as well as another turn table...and a ClearAudio Gold Finger. Though, pretty happy with the Ortofon Windfeld.
    I can vouch that a Clearaudio GFS will work with your table and pre-amp. I would be upgrading the stock tubes though especially in the pre-amp phono stage.

As for a R2R, a JCorder modded TECHNICS with an external pre wired directly to the heads is a really safe bet. I know Jeff will fabricate it's finish to your desire. He is good at that but it will cost. I had a conversation with him once about blue meters and black glass with gold screen printing and McIntosh dials.... He said then, he was prepared to do it.

Very difficult to find a well serviced Studer but it is possible. If you are considering an A810, serial number above 5000 is a better choice. If you have the space, the A820 setup for 1/4" is the pinnacle of R2R but it is a huge machine. Now, I believe you are building a new home with a huge room.....

Speakeasy

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
    Pretty Cool David

I need to ask Mike of AC about that Mc accessory stand...

I got this as a gift when I went to a McIntosh event with Charlie [CEO]. The guy signed my McIntosh book...kewl beans. Truthfully, I do not use the stand but it looks kewl. I got a few other gifts, towls, coffee mug, jacket, Spyder VIP membership...bla bla bla

Taking a break

I can vouch that a Clearaudio GFS will work with your table and pre-amp. I would be upgrading the stock tubes though especially in the pre-amp phono stage.

As for a R2R, a JCorder modded TECHNICS with an external pre wired directly to the heads is a really safe bet. I know Jeff will fabricate it's finish to your desire. He is good at that but it will cost. I had a conversation with him once about blue meters and black glass with gold screen printing and McIntosh dials.... He said then, he was prepared to do it.

Very difficult to find a well serviced Studer but it is possible. If you are considering an A810, serial number above 5000 is a better choice. If you have the space, the A820 setup for 1/4" is the pinnacle of R2R but it is a huge machine. Now, I believe you are building a new home with a huge room.....

Steve, I purchased back up stock tubes for every amp and it cost a butt load. I'm neurotic about a back up plan! Sheesh. Is it worthwhile?

David... Try a set of Gold Lion reissues. KT88, 12AT7 & 12AX7. Not expensive but certain to take your rig up another notch. Be warned, if you get the tube rollers bug, then vintage tubes can get expensive.

Most Mac owners upgrade from their stock tubes to Gold Lions and leave it at that. They are excellent and long life.

Speakeasy

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Beautiful system David
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Audioshark

Beautiful system David. I bet it sounds wonderful.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Wow! That's quite a collection!! Thanks for sharing!

I don't want to sidetrack your thread, but after seeing your equipment in the gym I have a question: Do your Aurender N100H and your c2500 play nice together? I have a c2500 as well and have been using the internal dac via toslink. I've been considering the Aurender as my next purchase. However, I have read about people having problems with the c2500 Dac when connected via USB (the dac locks up, pops when changing file resolutions). So I've been a little hesitant about the Aurender as it only has the USB out. I'd hate to bring home a new toy only to find out that it doesn't work with my existing equipment. Have you experienced any problems with the combo? Do you know what firmware is installed on your c2500? Thanks, Bruce

David.......Love this photo. McIntosh gear not only sounds fabulous, the visual impact is impressive, especially in an all McIntosh rig. Looking good.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Taking a break

Dan...I owe you big kudos because your influence resonates here. In fact, I would not own any reference material such as the C1000 trio or MCD1100 without you. Glad you like the photos. I would not simply post photos without some visual interest.

Taking a break

Because Steve did it Here is a shot of the Ortofon Windfeld. I suspect at some point, I will buy the ClearAudio Gold Finger.

Taking a break

This is a close up of the rack that holds the two MC2301s. As you can see, lots of breathing room. I know, I still have plastic wrap at the bottom amp. I just haven't removed it yet. I will someday.

Good for You nice pix, like the one with plastic...
    Bryston 14bsst2.. Lamm LL2.1 ..Magnum Dynalab FT101a with Md100 mod.. Cambridge 840c, Manley Chinook, Sota Comet T/T, Grado Prestige Red 1, VPI Classic 1 Ortofon Black 2M, Avanti Allegro din/rca phono cable, Kimber Hero, KS1016 i/c Kimber Bi-focal XL speaker cable... Legacy Signature 3 SE...
    GEAUX SAINTS...

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by bayou985 View Post
    Good for You nice pix, like the one with plastic...
    It kinda works, doesn't it. I think I will keep it!

Nice gear David! Did you pick up the Mc catalog and just say, "I'll take one (or more in some cases) of each!" ? LOL. Sweet.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Nice gear David! Did you pick up the Mc catalog and just say, "I'll take one (or more in some cases) of each!" ? LOL. Sweet.
    Kinda. I must say, none of this was born out of my own knowledge. I turn to Dan [Double-D] for advice. Dan has been a part of the industry for decades and decades. I am lucky to glean from his wisdom when making audio decision purchases.

Stunning systems and photography. Wish I could image my gear half as well. The Goldfinger Statement will be the cherry on top! Can't wait to hear your thoughts once you get that bad boy mounted. Are you using C or T preamp for vinyl playback?? If you are running stock tubes, I also recommend trying out others. Gold lions are good and easily obtainable. I run with "NOS" Tesla tubes in both phono and line stages in my C500T. My C500P is on the sidelines for the time being ....

Back on topic, fabulous systems you have put together in a short time. Bravo.

Love the Advents too.

Kinda. I must say, none of this was born out of my own knowledge. I turn to Dan [Double-D] for advice. Dan has been a part of the industry for decades and decades. I am lucky to glean from his wisdom when making audio decision purchases.
    David.......That made me chuckle. It sure went by fast. I hope I have a couple more decades to go. .
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by Nuz1 View Post
    Do your Aurender N100H and your c2500 play nice together?
    Mostly they do play nicely together. On rare occasions the C2500 will not process the Aurender USB connection. All that I do to detect the Aurender is power the C2500 off, wait a moment and then power back on. Boom! All is fine.

Good to know, thank you!

Do your pair of $9,000 MC2301's have twin sisters! If so, I want to meet them. Wow! What a deal.
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Marantz TT-42
    Power: 3 x 20 Amp Lines, Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Shunyata Sigma v2 NR, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon Modified) Buffalo GS2016 Switches powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 SCs, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK/Vicoustics/Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Audioshark

Next up for David?

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I'll take it if he doesn't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Next up for David?

Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Taking a break

Next up for David?
    Mike, this is one heck of a sexy piece of machinery. I have been surfing ebay and such for a Studer R2R.

David

Audioshark

Mike, this is one heck of a sexy piece of machinery. I have been surfing ebay and such for a Studer R2R.

David
    I bought one this week. Here's my new baby in action:

http://youtu.be/D-HBox_n-P0

Owner will be shipping it out next week. I'll be a nervous wreck until it arrives safely.

Taking a break

I bought one this week. Here's my new baby in action:

http://youtu.be/D-HBox_n-P0

Owner will be shipping it out next week. I'll be a nervous wreck until it arrives safely.

I hate you and sick with envy! <grin> How much did this unit cost?

Audioshark

I hate you and sick with envy! <grin> How much did this unit cost?
    I'm too embarrassed to say...

Taking a break

Text me, Dad or I will not give the keys to the 911 back!!!! and I mean it!!!! LOL

Taking a break

We are in a text and yes, Mr. Mike should be ashamed. I told him he is not getting his 911 keys back...ever!

McIntosh and R2R who needs time travel. Nice system
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

Congrats Mike! David you're up next....and you can get original blue reels for it too!

Try looking in Canada. A810 was popular in studios there.

Speakeasy

Taking a break

Congrats Mike! David you're up next....and you can get original blue reels for it too!

Try looking in Canada. A810 was popular in studios there.
    I want! I am disturbed that Mike has one and I don't [lol]

Mike.......Your Studer R2R and the video deserve it's own thread.
    Dan

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    Mike.......Your Studer R2R and the video deserve it's own thread.
    If it arrives safe and sound, I will post it up for sure.

If it arrives safe and sound, I will post it up for sure.
    I hope it is packed in a big wooden shipping crate that can be forklifted if it is not being hand delivered by the seller. It might be only an A810, but it is still a heavy beast.

David...Be thorough with your hunt including the logistics. Best of luck with your search.

Speakeasy

David...If you are serious about considering tape further, don't expect that recording onto tape will give you anymore sonic magic. Playback of a first or second generation master tape copy will certainly give you more than its vinyl equivalent with the right setup. But if you are making recordings from your own analogue sources, expect nothing more than convenient playback, vinyl and stylus preservation. There is no such thing about making something sound better by re-recording a copy of it. More likely, you will make the copy sound different, an inferior outcome.

Vintage tape equipment also requires on-going care and maintenance, so if you aren't prepared to be technically enthusiastic, the wow factor will wane very quickly.

Being a tape head, fringes towards the eccentric side of audiophilia. Typically reserved for those who want to listen to the very best from a extremely limited and exclusive range of expensive software and those who have grown up with it or are nostalgic about it.

Yes your chicks will dig the novelty but they probably won't appreciate a mountain of electronics constituting a complex HiFi rig.

Sometimes less is more.

Speakeasy

Taking a break

Steve, you are King in this world as far as I see it. As a new audiophile of about 2 years, I am admittedly impetuous, impatient, recalcitrant and a bit neurotic with this new found passion. I certainly am void of any of the the qualities you posses with your R2R passion. You point out the skills required...I ain't got it in me!

Thanks for being blunt - I was under the false impression I would improve sound transferring vinyl to tape. Thanks for saving me 10k plus.

David, gorgeous system(s) and images! I wonder how young of a novice are we talking about here..wanna know if I could beat you?

David, How you like the Kiss speakers ? I used own the Music speakers with my Macintosh and enjoyed my time with them.

How you compare the Kiss VS Summit X ?
    Paul

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    David, gorgeous system(s) and images! I wonder how young of a novice are we talking about here..wanna know if I could beat you?
    I have only been an audiophile for about 2 years. I am very new. I still get diaper rash!

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    David, How you like the Kiss speakers ? I used own the Music speakers with my Macintosh and enjoyed my time with them.

How you compare the Kiss VS Summit X ?
    I like them very much. I run the right along side the Martin Logan Summit X. I am a fan of electrostatic but like the sense of warmth I hear from the Vienna's. The blend nicely for me. AND, I have been lectured a lot about running two different speakers...bla bla bla. I like to break rules and I am vigilantly disobedient. For me an unlikely pairing is a sweet spot for me.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team