Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

AQUA La Voce S2 DAC...In Da House!

So...this/these DACs; have been on my radar, for some time now. I say this/these...because I first took notice, of Aqua's "flagship" La Scala mkII. The reviews are stellar, one and all; and I happen to worship, at the alter of John Darko. So...when JD, has to make an entirely new category; with one, singular occupant...for the La Scala. I take notice!

But...I'm also a fan, of trickle-down; getting 90% performance, for half the price...from a company's "2nd-tier" offering. And the La Voce, is no slouch itself, in the fanfare department.

I have to first thank, Mark Sossa of Well Pleased A/V; Aqua's sole North American distributor. Mark and I have done business before, and he has doggedly been after me...to give the Aqua a try, for some time now. Again...I was interested; but I had 2 reservations.

1) These DACs, don't do DSD...and that is a necessity, not frivolity, for me.

2) While these DACs are certainly media darlings...I don't see them, filling the cyber-shelves, of sites like Audiogon or USAM, et al. Those of you, who know how I roll; I like to in-home audition, and live with a product. Which essentially means...buy it on the used market, really get to know it; and if it's not my cuppa...sell it, without losing my shirt for the luxury of trying it.

So my concern with the Aqua was...while I knew it would, at the least (very, very least) be "good"; was that not enough 'philes knew it, for it to be a hot re-seller. Well...Mark has agreed, to graciously provide me with a "loaner" of sorts. He's confident in these DACs...and doesn't think it's coming back, lol; but we've agreed for me to put it through its paces, and for me to share my thoughts with some of my fellow enthusiasts.
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Audioshark

Re: AQUA La Voce S2 DAC...In Da House!

That's great Chris. I've read only great things about their DAC's.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

The unit arrived late Friday...and as I had a million things I was juggling; I saved un-boxing and set-up, for this past Saturday.

I have to say, right off the bat; the thing is a real beauty IMO. Retro good looks, and sexy but simple, Italian styling

Mark had remarked, to use the power-cord that was included. Even though ALL of my PCs, are of suitable after-market quality; I can see why he encouraged. Hardly, your typical...$2-buck throw-in.

Around back...the La Voce, is nicely equipped (take note...single-ended RCAs are standard. Some of the other ins and outs...I know, balanced outs, for example...and I'll have to check with Mark, on some of the others; are optional)

I'll be conducting listening tests...with the Aurender N100H feeding it (as usual...the Aurender, just grabs EVERY DAC's driver...that I've EVER thrown at it!)

...with the Aqua feeding a Luxman L-550AX, driving PMC Twenty 26s (I'm using the Luxman right now, because I'm expecting Twenty 23s any day now...and its A/B switching, will make for easy testing...of 23s and 26s side by side. But, at some point...I will probably break-out the C-J ET-3SE/2550SE combo, and Wyred STP-SE/ARC VT50 pairing; and see how the Aqua responds, in those systems.)

Also...while I find DAC A/Bs, a little tedious; I might compare it against, several others I have in house at the moment.

Marantz HD-DAC1 ($800)
    Resonessence Labs Concero HD ($850)
    LH Labs Geek Pulse ($1000)
    AQUA La Voce S2 ($2700)
    Ayre QB-9 DSD ($3300)

(Not to mention...maybe using the swiss-army knife, Auralic Aries Mini ($550); as stand-alone DAC only. So yes, technically...I really do have 6 different DACs in da house, at one time )

I mean...I'm Mister DAC (there's an inside joke there); meaning only...that since I'm a single, digital-source 'phile, the DAC plays a HUGE role in the signature of my system. But even I can't deny...there are probably only small, subtle differences between the "best" on this list, and the "worst" (given the fact, that I don't buy sh*t gear to begin with, lol )

I mean...the only one, that really counts; is my current reference...the Ayre QB-9 DSD. But...before I p u r g e a few of these other units; I could put a set of test-tracks together...and give some quick opinions, on the other units.

Stay tuned guys; all that's been happening through the weekend...is I've been letting things, run-in

CD

Looking forward to your take on the La Voce. Mark told me you had one to test. The La Scala Mk. II is on the agenda for me in the Spring. As I don't do DSD yet that is no big deal to me. If I decide to move in that direction the Nuprime DAC-10 can handle that.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Thanks in advance for sharing your journey.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

Awesomely enthusiastic preview of things to come. Can't wait for the follow up. Jack recommended the company to me and you are right, reviews are stellar.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    But, at some point...I will probably break-out the C-J ET-3SE/2550SE combo, and Wyred STP-SE/ARC VT50 pairing; and see how the Aqua responds, in those systems.
    Oh...and one other thing I forgot to mention: the seemingly superfluous phase switch; will be a god-send, if/when...I pair this DAC with the C-J kit.

As C-J owners surely know; Messieurs Conrad & Johnson...love to mess with phase. ET-3SE is out of phase...2550SE, is not!

So...a simple flip of the Aqua's switch, will save me from digging behind my kit and swapping speaker cabling (and risk, forgetting to switch it back...when I'm non-C-J out-of-phase).
    CD

No DSD?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    No DSD?
    NO; unfortunately, not as of yet
    CD

So...last night, I spent my first significant amount of time; listening to the La Voce S2. About 2 hours, as yes...it was one of those sessions, where I just started wanting to play EVERYTHING!

Well...first of all; after letting it run-in, for about 10 hours x 2 days...I had to pull it out briefly, and give another one of those DACs in the previous list, some rack time. Now...I don't know if it's a) that DAC (which shall remain nameless), b) it's synergy with the Luxman L-550AX, or c) the Aqua is just that good; but I can now throw this statement out the window...

...there are probably only small, subtle differences between the "best" on this list, and the "worst".

The difference, when I inserted the Aqua into the loop; was HUGE, and you'd have to be deef not to hear it (yes...maybe the other DAC, is broken LOL).

So...my expectation, of this unit; was smooth, smooth, smooth. I don't remember the reviews, word for word; but my overall impression was a) it was excellent!, and b) it was analog-like in its sound. Not that the later, was really a positive for me. I'm not a wax guy; I don't want my digital...to sound like analog. But I think that's the Vinyl audiophiles, colloquialism for "this sounds really good"; "it sounds analog", lol.

So...anticipating this smoothness (and in fairness, when I'd popped my head in...from time to time, during run-in...things did sound rather smooth. Now...we are talking a class-A Luxman, at low volume here...so, lol); I did, as I tend to do when auditioning new kit. I started, by throwing it some softballs; the kind of material, I thought it would make sing (or vice versa).

It didn't disappoint! It was absolutely lush, full...delicate, yet detailed; with Malou Beauvoir's new title of covers, Is This Love

I like her voice, and the album; but I have heard some of these songs, done better. But I think her Fragile, is a stunner; and the La Voce S2, certainly brought out that magic.

Then...another title, I thought would be in the Aqua's wheelhouse; Charles Lloyd & The Marvels' I Long To See You. Another winner

But the DAC, was also giving me...something I wasn't expecting. It had great drive...top-tapping pace; and a real grip, on the bass I was just so surprised by. This seemingly hothouse flower, had some get up & go in 'er

So...I started not, being so particular; about what I played. I played what I wanted to hear; some Rock, some Indie...some Classical. Some audiophile-type recordings, some not-so-stellar recordings. I was the proverbial, kid in a candy-shop, and it all sounded great (I perhaps, caught a little ringing, here or there; but this thing, doesn't even have 50 hours on it yet).

I ended the night, with one of my favorite albums; meaning I know it, like the back of my...

Fleetwood Mac's TUSK; but the stellar, 2015 re-mastering...for the 5-CD Deluxe Box Set. (this is the inner sleeve, of Disc 1...which is a re-mastering of the original album. If you know the album...you know, it's a pretty perfect image )

On this title...the Aqua, showed ALL its strengths! From the Pop masterpiece Think About Me, to the delicate and haunting balladry of Storms, and playful harmonies of Honey Hi. But again...what really makes this DAC, for me; is the force and propulsion, it displayed...on the cocaine-fueled romp, that is its title-song.

WoW; forget all those other DACs. I gotta log, some more serious time with this...and then see, where the Ayre stands.

Believe the hype; this thing is the real deal!
    CD

So lemme translate...you are actually saying that Tube Dacs rule??? LoL

Enjoy.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    So lemme translate...you are actually saying that Tube Dacs rule??? LoL

Enjoy.
    The La Voce S2, has no tube
    CD

La Scala does and I assumed La Voce did too.

Nevermind, it was a joke anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    La Scala does and I assumed La Voce did too.

Nevermind, it was a joke anyway.
    Ah, see...I didn't realize the La Scala did. Otherwise, I would have just corrected you...and understood the OP better
    CD

Yah...that is its claim to fame.

http://www.audioreference.co.nz/prod...sb-rca-xlr-etc

Attached Images Attached Images
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

From 6moons:

Their regs are executed fully discrete with Mosfets, Jfets and BJTs. That's for both the analog and digital power supplies. For single-stage voltage gain, the La Scala goes class A and hybrid by direct-coupling LED-biased ECC81/12AT7 triodes to high-voltage current-buffer Mosfets. Without coupling capacitors or feedback, there's wide bandwidth, low output impedance and "no overshoot or ringing". High-speed opto-couplers create galvanic and magnetic isolation between the digital stage and analog ground. The power supply gets two EI trafos for digital and analog respectively. The regulated soft-start anode supply is a "virtual battery" Mosfet design. Finish is grey Nextel for the casing with a clear-anodized fascia whose controls switch power, inputs and phase.
    NORMAN

More time, with the La Voce S2 tonight; only...using the Wyred STP-SE and ARC VT-50, as the front-end instead!
    CD

More time, with the La Voce S2 tonight; only...using the Wyred STP-SE and ARC VT-50, as the front-end instead!
    Chris i'm interested in how this sounds.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Chris i'm interested in how this sounds.
    Have I ever, shown a reluctance...to share my opinion

Is there something in particular, that intrigues you...about this pairing?
    CD

Huh...I thought I already reported back about this. Maybe I was waiting...for CPP to tell me, what he was looking for.

In any case...no great surprise; LA Voce still sounds great! As I mentioned before...and this switch in gear, only reiterates the point; the La Voce is more "forward" than I would have thought. Maybe I should say, more "dynamic".

Much as I love, the rich and lush presentation of Class-A; this DAC, into the Luxman L-550AX...really cut through some of that, and made the IA a PRaT champ. Going to the Wyred/ARC combo...a pairing, I am really starting to take to; showed the Aqua to still be lively...as this system, showed more top-end, than the smooth Lux. But of course, never etched or fatiguing.

Now...I have (FWP), to log some time with the C-J kit; find out, what stays...and what, unfortunately, will have to look for a new home.

For the record...I've already conceded; the Luxman, is not a luxury I can afford anymore. Did I mention I love class-A, lol; so having this guy around, when I'm looking for a change of pace. With its impeccable 70s style and build...and sweet, but still driving sound; it was a blessing.

But I can't keep, a $5400 IA...for the occasional dalliance anymore. So...if anyone is interested.

More to come, on the La Voce and C-J match!
    CD

A friend of mine bought a La Voce S2 a couple of weeks ago and loves it. He had a Schiitt Yggdrasil, sold it, bought a PSA DSD sold it and then got the La Voce. He loves it and says it blows the other DAC's out of the water. I would love to hear how it compares to my Luxman DA-06.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

Larry
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    A friend of mine bought a La Voce S2 a couple of weeks ago and loves it. He had a Schiitt Yggdrasil, sold it, bought a PSA DSD sold it and then got the La Voce. He loves it and says it blows the other DAC's out of the water. I would love to hear how it compares to my Luxman DA-06.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

Larry
    Yeah Larry; I'm still waiting to throw my Ayre QB-9 DSD back in the loop...and my aural memory is short. But I would say, so far...the Aqua has brought out, the BEST; in each, of the 3 different systems I've tried it in.

1st the Luxman L-550AX IA
    2nd the Wyred STP-SE/ARC VT-50 combo
    3rd the C-J ET-3SE/2550SE pairing
    CD

Yeah Larry; I'm still waiting to throw my Ayre QB-9 DSD back in the loop...and my aural memory is short. But I would say, so far...the Aqua has brought out, the BEST; in each, of the 3 different systems I've tried it in.

1st the Luxman L-550AX IA
    2nd the Wyred STP-SE/ARC VT-50 combo
    3rd the C-J ET-3SE/2550SE pairing
    Just curious on the general sound of the La Voce. Is it neutral or warmer? I love the warmer sound and full midrange of my Luxman, but I am always open to upgrades. I am not a fan of the etched sound of Sabre based DAC's or DAC's like the Vega.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Just curious on the general sound of the La Voce. Is it neutral or warmer? I love the warmer sound and full midrange of my Luxman, but I am always open to upgrades. I am not a fan of the etched sound of Sabre based DAC's or DAC's like the Vega.
    Definitely neutral! Like with the L-550AX. Now I love class-A...but the Luxamn can be, rich, overly-ripe, lush, etc. Sometimes, that's perfection incarnate; sometimes...it's a little too golden.

The La Voce S2 pairing...with the L-550AX; kept all the high-current drive, of class-A...but opened up the sound a bit, and made it sound more dynamic.

I'd say it, or the La Scala...would make a nice shoot-out; with your DA-06 (a DAC, I had on my radar...but was afraid it was too "Luxman"; and while that richness, has a double-edge sword, as I mentioned previously. For me, personally...I don't want to start off that way; at the source. I want the option, to add it later, if desired).
    CD

Definitely neutral! Like with the L-550AX. Now I love class-A...but the Luxamn can be, rich, overly-ripe, lush, etc. Sometimes, that's perfection incarnate; sometimes...it's a little too golden.

The La Voce S2 pairing...with the L-550AX; kept all the high-current drive, of class-A...but opened up the sound a bit, and made it sound more dynamic.

I'd say it, or the La Scala...would make a nice shoot-out; with your DA-06 (a DAC, I had on my radar...but was afraid it was too "Luxman"; and while that richness, has a double-edge sword, as I mentioned previously. For me, personally...I don't want to start off that way; at the source. I want the option, to add it later, if desired).

Sounds like a DAC that I would like. Same for the Lux amp.

Larry

Give it a bit, he may sell both of them to you.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Sounds like a DAC that I would like. Same for the Lux amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Larry

Give it a bit, he may sell both of them to you.
    Well...the Lux, good as it is; is for sale.

If you've been following closely; I've got 3 systems, for 1 room right now.

Having the Lux to pull out, when I wanted a change of pace...and some of that sweet, sweet class-A; is a LUXury, I can no longer afford (both financially, and "ergonomically"...need to simplify my life).

As for the La Voce...if I don't keep it, I can talk to Mark; see if there's an arrangement to be had.
    CD

I am set with my Pass amp although I would not mind upgrading from my X250 to an X250.5 or 250.8. I think my next upgrade may be my preamp. I have always been curious about CJ preamps. Almost bought a new CJ ET-3se but decided to go with a BAT VK-51se.

I am always open to upgrading source components though.

Super Moderator

Great news on the DAC, Chris. I'm so happy for you. Please keep the updates coming.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I am set with my Pass amp although I would not mind upgrading from my X250 to an X250.5 or 250.8. I think my next upgrade may be my preamp. I have always been curious about CJ preamps. Almost bought a new CJ ET-3se but decided to go with a BAT VK-51se.

I am always open to upgrading source components though.
    My advice; if you go ET-3, SE is the way to go.

I had an ET-3; didn't blow me away. Now...IDK if it's system synergy, tastes change, etc; but the 3SE is a different animal IMO.
    CD

Chris, Do you have any follow-up comments about the LaVoce and your 6 pack of DAC contenders?

Not really, lol. I can give an opinion on each DAC; but the "competition", was clearly only between the Aqua and the incumbent Ayre.
    CD

Chris, Is the Ayre still in your system, or has the La Voce replaced it?

Interesting, I just found this thread. I recently replaced An Auralic Vega which I had on loan with the La Voce, beats it for musicality and listening pleasure in my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KLH007 View Post
    Chris, Is the Ayre still in your system, or has the La Voce replaced it?
    Quote Originally Posted by tapatrick View Post
    Interesting, I just found this thread. I recently replaced An Auralic Vega which I had on loan with the La Voce, beats it for musicality and listening pleasure in my system.

I still have both...though I think, when all is said and done; I'm going to stick with the Ayre. It's no slouch, and they're different; just DSD support, footprint, gut. The La Voce is excellent...and very "musical", without being overly golden or colored.

Yes...while the Vega is great at what it does; I can see, how going from it...to the Aqua, you'd feel a fatter, richer presentation. The Vega...as are most ESS Sabre designs; for better or worse, very detailed...but also slightly (to more than slightly, in the wrong hands) etched.

P.S. If anyone has interest in my demo...let me know, and I'll pass it along to Mark. My hands never touched it, and it's Black with the Balanced output.
    CD

Thanks Chris, I forgot your need for DSD, for many of us it's not a concern yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH007 View Post
    Thanks Chris, I forgot your need for DSD, for many of us it's not a concern yet.
    It wasn't a deal-breaker; while I was auditioning the Aqua...I used my Aries Mini as a source, and it handled DSD duties.

But...it didn't hurt, to tip things the Ayre's way either.
    CD

I have a S2 La VOCE. Compared it to my Wadia 860x with Great Northern Sound Mod, as well as other models with the USA importer. And compared it to the MSB Analog DAC full stack and also against a PS audio direct stream senior DAC running Aspen and a few other older firmware.

Comparisons were made with red book, 24/96,24/192 PCM files.
    Without power conditioning the La Voce loses to all of the above

certain quad rate DSD files with the PS AUDIO were very hard to beat but we are talking very few songs.

In the PCM world all things changed when the combo of MIT Z powerbar (or a z duplex 20a outlet) were used in conjunction with the Wells Audio power conditioner. Only the Wadia in this case emerged as the winner over La Voce . My thoughts are the internal electrical noise suppression in the La Voce is not anything amazing, but when the combo of this power conditioning was used you could hear the potentional of La Voce. I needed up preferring it to their other models.

The system was Chapman T-7 loundspeakers , Nordost white lightning speaker wire, E.A.R. 890 Tube amp using JJ 6550 tubes (affordable and surprisingly good in this combo), optical cable , Apple TV 3rd gen revision a1469, iPad Air 2 , Tidal Hi-fi. Volume control was done at the amplifier input potentiometer knobs . Power conditioning was MIT Z Duplex 20A outlet, Wells $6k power conditioner . DH Labs Red Wave power cable to wall to power the Wells , Shunyata Alpha 2 for the E.A.R. 890 amp, and the stock La Voce cable was actually the best choice for La Voce .

soundstage was amongst the clearest I have ever heard. An amazing poor mans audiophile giant killer system. Voices were believable to an extent when you could not imagine this was JUST a stereo. Class A amplification helped as well as the bass strong signature of the Chapman T-7 to make up for an 80wpc Tube amp.

Anyone tried the S3 upgrade to their S2 la voce? I have one gathering dust and have considered upgrading.

I've had mine back from Italy for a little over a month. To my ears a worthwhile upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I've had mine back from Italy for a little over a month. To my ears a worthwhile upgrade.
    Thanks Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Ears View Post
    I have a S2 La VOCE. Compared it to my Wadia 860x with Great Northern Sound Mod, as well as other models with the USA importer. And compared it to the MSB Analog DAC full stack and also against a PS audio direct stream senior DAC running Aspen and a few other older firmware.

Comparisons were made with red book, 24/96,24/192 PCM files.
    Without power conditioning the La Voce loses to all of the above

certain quad rate DSD files with the PS AUDIO were very hard to beat but we are talking very few songs.

In the PCM world all things changed when the combo of MIT Z powerbar (or a z duplex 20a outlet) were used in conjunction with the Wells Audio power conditioner. Only the Wadia in this case emerged as the winner over La Voce . My thoughts are the internal electrical noise suppression in the La Voce is not anything amazing, but when the combo of this power conditioning was used you could hear the potentional of La Voce. I needed up preferring it to their other models.

The system was Chapman T-7 loundspeakers , Nordost white lightning speaker wire, E.A.R. 890 Tube amp using JJ 6550 tubes (affordable and surprisingly good in this combo), optical cable , Apple TV 3rd gen revision a1469, iPad Air 2 , Tidal Hi-fi. Volume control was done at the amplifier input potentiometer knobs . Power conditioning was MIT Z Duplex 20A outlet, Wells $6k power conditioner . DH Labs Red Wave power cable to wall to power the Wells , Shunyata Alpha 2 for the E.A.R. 890 amp, and the stock La Voce cable was actually the best choice for La Voce .

soundstage was amongst the clearest I have ever heard. An amazing poor mans audiophile giant killer system. Voices were believable to an extent when you could not imagine this was JUST a stereo. Class A amplification helped as well as the bass strong signature of the Chapman T-7 to make up for an 80wpc Tube amp.
    I appreciate that these types of statements are relative but could I ask which country you’re in, if you feel that a system that includes a $6k power conditioner constitutes a “poor man’s” ‘system? How much would your whole system cost and would this be classed as a “budget” system?

Quote Originally Posted by fastest View Post
    I appreciate that these types of statements are relative but could I ask which country you’re in, if you feel that a system that includes a $6k power conditioner constitutes a “poor man’s” ‘system? How much would your whole system cost and would this be classed as a “budget” system?
    Considering this post was back in 2019, ,and the poster only had 4 post, you might not get your answer.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I have an Aqua La Voce S2 DAC (which can now be upgraded to the S3 for a cost effective way to enter the higher levels of the Aqua sound)
    Message me if you are interested in purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by tapatrick View Post
    I have an Aqua La Voce S2 DAC (which can now be upgraded to the S3 for a cost effective way to enter the higher levels of the Aqua sound)
    Message me if you are interested in purchasing.

I do like the way Aqua Voce had future proofed their dacs by offering upgrades

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

AQUA La Voce S2 DAC...In Da House!