Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lumin U1

Audioshark

Lumin U1

Attached Images Attached Images
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Banned

Re: Lumin U1

How much does it cost?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    How much does it cost?
    Final pricing is TBD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

When are they projecting availability?
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    When are they projecting availability?
    2 weeks

Audioshark

MSRP is $5900. Availability late January/early February.

PM me for any questions.

Sounds good
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Sounds like they priced it right!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Wow...great specs. Looks like it's going to be an excellent piece.

Audioshark

Hi Mike,

Looks like a very versatile music server with that same terrific interface as the S1. How do you connect the L1 storage device to it?

Thanks,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Ken,

the L1 can connect to a computer via USB to copy music onto it. Then it is unplugged and connected to the network via a Cat 5/6 cable into your router. It functions as shared network volume.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Joe,

Very nice! Thanks for the explanation. Lumin really has it all figured out. Where many other music servers fall short is on their user interface and not having the shared network.

Best,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

I really think the Lumin U1 will be standing alone with all the features and functions. I will be getting one when they start shipping. Right now I am using my D1 via BNC into my Lampi GG as a convenience. Let me tell you it is fantastic and I expect the U1 to be the perfect solution.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I agree Joe.
    Jock

---------

Joe, When you use the D1 for that, I'm sure you have been able to easily A/B it with the GG. I used my S1 as a server into my AMR 777Se as a convenience, but also to compare it with the two DACs by just switching inputs on the preamp. The S1 was every bit as good as the 777, so it was an easy decision to move to the Lumin S1 only. Digital has never been more simple or better.

The GG is quite a bit more money than the AMR DP 777SE and has a great reputation. I'm wondering how much better in your opinion it performs than the D1.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I really think the Lumin U1 will be standing alone with all the features and functions. I will be getting one when they start shipping. Right now I am using my D1 via BNC into my Lampi GG as a convenience. Let me tell you it is fantastic and I expect the U1 to be the perfect solution.
    Bill

Shindo Giscours
    Shindo Western Electric 300b
    Shinoo Petite Latour (FC)
    AMG Viella V12 Etna (Erodion) and Teatro (Bob's Sky @ 1:20)
    Lumin S1

Devialet 200
    Aries
    Harbeth C7

Super Moderator

Hi Bill,

I've since hooked my D1 up to my Berkeley Ref DAC via BNC as well. The Lampi kills the D1 but the D1 is no slouch. The GG has that bit of magic that is undeniable, so big and 3D, sweet vocals and, I assume with the tubes, a more relaxed presentation. It sort of depends on my mood too, everything has its place.

I love my Berkeley Ref dac very much.

NAD C 658 streamer.

yes but U1 is better than S1 in the stream functions ?! have you done some testing and verification compared to S1?
    thanks a lot

Exciting product. About time!

So you can hang at least 2 DACs off this, or more? I like that there are 2 X USB and AES3 also. Might have to start a conversation with a local dealer....

Wish they would a Windows 10 store app. If they did, I would definitely buy tomorrow.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    So you can hang at least 2 DACs off this, or more? I like that there are 2 X USB and AES3 also. Might have to start a conversation with a local dealer....

Wish they would a Windows 10 store app. If they did, I would definitely buy tomorrow.
    Only one USB DAC can be driven by the U1. The other USB port can be used for USB flash drive or USB HDD if necessary.

The other four non-USB ports can be used to drive multiple DACs simultaneously. However, if both USB connection and one or more non-USB connection are used simultaneously, for prolonged gapless playback, they will eventually go out of sync because of the distinctly different types of technology and synchronization used by USB DAC and non-USB DAC. It should be fine for doing A/B comparison though.

As for Windows 10, I guess it should be possible to use JRiver to control the music playback, and probably Kazoo as well. You still need to have access to an iOS or Android device for configuring or upgrading firmware of Lumin though.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hi Bill,

I've since hooked my D1 up to my Berkeley Ref DAC via BNC as well. The Lampi kills the D1 but the D1 is no slouch. The GG has that bit of magic that is undeniable, so big and 3D, sweet vocals and, I assume with the tubes, a more relaxed presentation. It sort of depends on my mood too, everything has its place.

I love my Berkeley Ref dac very much.
    Hi Joe.
    As you compare your Lampi GG with the Berkeley, in DSD as in PCM
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Super Moderator

Hi Francisco,

So far I think I prefer the GG all around. It is more musical.

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Hi Joe.
    As you compare your Lampi GG with the Berkeley, in DSD as in PCM

NAD C 658 streamer.

Also, he prefers GG in PCM?
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Super Moderator

Yes.

Also, he prefers GG in PCM?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thank you
    Francisco

Stupid question here but what hardware is inside the Lumin U1? What sort of processor does it have? Does it have RAM and if so, how much?

Thanks,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Stupid question here but what hardware is inside the Lumin U1? What sort of processor does it have? Does it have RAM and if so, how much?
    It uses a version of ARM processor and is the fastest among the whole Lumin lineup, therefore it can perform more flexible types of resampling than other models (which use MIPS processor). It also has more than sufficient RAM for future enhancements in the foreseeable future. Unlike transports from other brands, U1 does not have SSD or HDD inside for storage.

Processor and RAM alone do not make good sound though, it's the hardware design, the Lumin clocking system for low jitter output, the continually updated firmware and app that provides good music and convenience.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello Peter Lie,

I have too a question... I have the S1 (Nas synology 214play and the L1)....I go recieve the PSU from Kenneth Lau.
    I will buy a Lampizator dac and use this last with the S1 in place of the Dac inside S1....
    (cable BNC to Rca)

My friend have too the S1 and he use a Totaldac "as Dac" in place of the Sabre inside the S1.
    He go sell the S1 and replace it with a U1.

S1 with extern Dac vs. U1 with extern Dac : the U1 sound better? make sense sel the S1 for the U1 if used connect with a extern Dac?

thank you.

S1 player can play DSD128 but cannot output DSD128 DoP to an external DAC via coaxial. For coaxial output, Lumin maxes out at DSD64 DoP.

U1 transport can output DSD128 DoP to a USB DAC, and has a lower price. Generally U1 is more suitable for use with an external DAC.

As for sound quality, I'm afraid I cannot give a definite answer, and I suspect that may be setup dependent. I'll let others to chime in.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thank you Peter,

at the end use a extern Dac with the S1 make no sense fo you?

I have the S1 just purchased......and im' tooo afraid that with a U1 I can have a better sound.....

I'm go with the S1 becouse I have listen the Aurender (= a U1 only music player/streamer...) and was without soul.....sound without emotin....for this reason the S1 is be my choice....

I will use too a one extern Dac and the "border" at dsd64 (well much better from what a Linn klimax gie you...24/192) is a fairly "important position"...to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by db33 View Post
    at the end use a extern Dac with the S1 make no sense fo you?

I have the S1 just purchased......and im' tooo afraid that with a U1 I can have a better sound.....
    Use of Lumin, regardless of model and setup, makes perfect sense to me - always.

If you have settled on the S1, please enjoy it and do not worry about the U1. S1 remains to be the flagship, and for coaxial output S1 may have an advantage from an engineering standpoint.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

hee I agree Peter.....the "limit ?! -> really a limit?" at 64 vs. 128 with coax cable at the end with music file 192khz and more + DSD 64 is sure amazing in performance.....

I dont go sell my S1 to buy a U1 for this reason.

if i had a extra Dac I would have bought our U1 but now with te project to add one extern Dac I go enjoy my S1....

sure well write over the "burn in" time for a S1 -> 500 hr?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by db33 View Post
    "burn in" time for a S1 -> 500 hr?
    I guess a few hundred hours should be enough.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

From LUMIN Music Facebook:

LUMIN U1 test

Phileweb take a fascinating in-depth look at LUMIN U1 in combination with 4 different DACs!
    http://www.phileweb.com/review/artic...16/2104_2.html

Translated into English here:
    http://tinyurl.com/lumin-phileweb

ACCUPHASE DC-37
    LUXMAN D-08u
    CHORD DAVE
    MSB Technology ANALOG DAC

When listening to LUMIN U1 and the Accuphase DC-37 Phileweb stated:
    "Using LUMIN U1 as a transport, a feeling of energy is applied to the sound. It's reminiscent of the network player "A1", which became the driving force of LUMIN with a rich, bold and powerful sound."

When listening to LUMIN U1 and the Chord Dave Phileweb stated:
    "When in combination with U1, it further pulls out the performance and force of the recording. Again with U1 it is powerful in tone. Miles Davis, here with the added strength of sound plays with a sense of tension, especially with brass instrument such as sax of John Coltrane the presence increases. It is known as a high-quality album, but I was surprised to hear fresh information on a sound source which was recorded in the late 1950s."

Thank you to our Authorized Japanese Distributor - Bright Tone Co. Ltd - for arranging this test.
    www.bright-tone.com
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    From LUMIN Music Facebook:

LUMIN U1 test

Phileweb take a fascinating in-depth look at LUMIN U1 in combination with 4 different DACs!
    http://www.phileweb.com/review/artic...16/2104_2.html

Translated into English here:
    http://tinyurl.com/lumin-phileweb

ACCUPHASE DC-37
    LUXMAN D-08u
    CHORD DAVE
    MSB Technology ANALOG DAC

When listening to LUMIN U1 and the Accuphase DC-37 Phileweb stated:
    "Using LUMIN U1 as a transport, a feeling of energy is applied to the sound. It's reminiscent of the network player "A1", which became the driving force of LUMIN with a rich, bold and powerful sound."

When listening to LUMIN U1 and the Chord Dave Phileweb stated:
    "When in combination with U1, it further pulls out the performance and force of the recording. Again with U1 it is powerful in tone. Miles Davis, here with the added strength of sound plays with a sense of tension, especially with brass instrument such as sax of John Coltrane the presence increases. It is known as a high-quality album, but I was surprised to hear fresh information on a sound source which was recorded in the late 1950s."

Thank you to our Authorized Japanese Distributor - Bright Tone Co. Ltd - for arranging this test.
    www.bright-tone.com
    I can totally agree with his comments on the Chord DAVE/Lumin U1 combo. Simply outstanding. But so is the U1 with the Lampi. Gotta say, I love the Aurender n10 with the Berkeley. I guess the network player/DAC combo really does matter.

Hello Mr Peter Lie,

sorry for this question: I have a S1 (with the L1) -> invest money into the Keneth Lau Power Supply give me a sound improvement or not? (vs the "standard" power suplly Lumin)?

Thank you for your reply
    Best rgds
    audio

Quote Originally Posted by audio View Post
    Hello Mr Peter Lie,

sorry for this question: I have a S1 (with the L1) -> invest money into the Keneth Lau Power Supply give me a sound improvement or not? (vs the "standard" power suplly Lumin)?

Thank you for your reply
    Best rgds
    audio
    I added the Signature Edition Kenneth Lau external supply to my D1 and it really changed the sound signature for the better, to where its on pair with the more expensive A1 or maybe a smidgen better.

The S.E. LPSU made with one silver-plated OCC O-Type transformer, new design ultra-low noise Linear regulator with Mundorf M-Lyric AG+ 4-pole capacitor, Mundorf M-Cap Silver Oil AC mains filter capacitor, silver-plated OCC internal hook-up wire, Furutech FI-03(R) IEC inlet, 1.2M silver-plated OCC DC cable with Carbon Fibre Sleeving and Oyaide DC plug. Aluminium chassis with upgraded Carbon Fibre Top and Copper Base plate.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Congrats Chris! Very nice addition.

Hello CPP,

I go have a silver version.next week.......black is amazing but with the S1 in silver i have choced the silver version....

if I can come back in time i wil go with the black version of the S1 or a U1 plus Totaldac : the 2 with the Kenneth Lau PSU.

tje PSU can i "arrange" in black but my Pass & co are too in silver....

What is important is the sound improvement with the Kenneth signature Edition Psu!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by audio View Post
    I have a S1 (with the L1) -> invest money into the Keneth Lau Power Supply give me a sound improvement or not? (vs the "standard" power suplly Lumin)?
    We never tried any Kenneth Lau power supply. You may read about other Kenneth Lau PSU users feedback, and/or ask Kenneth Lau himself in other forums.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Today's Firmware 7.08 for Lumin U1 fixes an issue with boot-up volume after power cycle, if volume was not 100% previously.

* As a transport, U1 should be used at 100% volume for best results anyway with Volume Control turned off as default.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

For Lumin U1, Firmware 7.09 extends the feature of (optional) DSD upconversion to mp3/aac, so U1 owners with DSD-only DAC can now play all supported music formats. (This feature currently remains exclusive to U1. By design all other Lumin players can upsample lossless music but do not upsample lossy compressed music.)
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    S1 remains to be the flagship, and for coaxial output S1 may have an advantage from an engineering standpoint.
    Hello Peter -

You mentioned the S1 may have an advantage over the U1 for coaxial output...I forgot to ask in the past, but was always curious what advantage exists?

Thanks!
    Mike
    Audio Archon

Dealer in the Chicago Area:
    Archon Cables, Aric Audio, Berkeley Audio Design, Bricasti Design, Concert Fidelity, Croft Acoustics, Furutech, Graham Audio, Harbeth, Lawrence Audio, Linear Tube Audio, LUMIN, MG Audio Design, Perla Audio, Philharmonia, Roon, Sophia Electric, Tekton Design, Ton Träger, Vinnie Rossi and Weiss Engineering
    Phone: 847-687-4800

The S1 has additional dedicated clocks for 176.4kHz/192kHz/DoP64.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter, that's kind of disappointing. I thought that U1 was exactly an S1, without DAC / Peter, that's kind of disappointing. I thought that U1 was exactly an S1, without DAC / analog output transformers outpu
    ut transformers
    Francisco

I thought that U1 was exactly an S1, without DAC / analog output transformers
    Users have been asking Lumin for a network transport (i.e. without DAC) for a long time. So to explain what U1 is and to differentiate it from the rest of the Lumin products, its description would be S1 functionality without DAC - that is basically true, although U1 actually has more powerful function (especially resampling from/to DSD128) than S1 and provides USB output. Engineering wise it is just not possible to take the digital board from the S1 and release it as the U1 - S1 hardware cannot do what U1 does. Therefore U1 is designed from the ground up and has very different hardware (they share the same external power supply though).
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

There's a new Hong Kong review of Lumin U1 in Chinese:
    http://www.post76.com/x2/forum.php?m...extra=page%3D1

I read that some users preferred Lumin U1 AES output to USB output, but in this review it's the opposite. So perhaps it's worthwhile to note the cables he used.

You can try google translate, but it doesn't work too well. So here's my summary and translation:

Lumin U1 AES output (Oyaide AR-910 5N silver with Furutech carbon fiber balance plug and shielding) to Antelope Zodiac Gold:

- Compared to Lumin U1 RCA output (Audio Synthesis SilverBlue SQ) voice is clearer, background is more silent, weak notes are clearer.

- The reviewer tried a Hong Kong song 24/96 "眼晴不能沒眼淚" by Leo Ku, found that the AES output has an analog feeling, with high resolution and a touch of vinyl sound. It is the best rendition of this song compared to 10 other streamers he tried before (listed in the review).

Lumin U1 USB output (Entreq Challenger USB + Entreq Eartha Silver)

- "Oh My God~!!!!!" Possibly aided by the Entreq Challenger USB connection to a ground box (PAC reference ground box from Hong Kong), the USB output is another level above the AES output, with even deeper silent background, and even clearer weak notes.

- It allows the reviewer to hear some weak notes from the song "春江花月夜/新版十面埋伏" he never heard before. There is no decrease of smoothness compared to AES, not matching some people's general belief of USB being more digital sounding than AES.

- Entreq Challenger USB + Entreq Eartha Silver performs really well here, with even better balance of treble/mid/bass. Voices convey an emotional affection, the high density of the music gives an even better overall atmosphere, with the decays sounding natural with no hint of noises.

- In the reviewer's setup with the same USB cable, Lumin U1 completely beats Aurender N100H (although the latter offers a marginally more relaxed sound)

P.S. Entreq's website explanation of the ground box connection:
    "This entails the shielding / drain wire not being connected to the device’s negative pole, but is connected to another external earth point. One of our ground boxes is suggested.
    This way, we drain off the interference/noise that the shielding absorbs to the ground outside of the signal paths, instead of the usual mixing it together with the signal wire at the connection to the devices."
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I recently acquired Lumin U1 and am connecting it to Holo Spring DAC via Singxer U-1. The Singxer accepts USB in and outputs I2S to the HDMI input of Holo. The setup's sound quality is jaw-dropping.

However, I notice an issue with the U1. All music files, PCM from 44.1k to 384k, work flawlessly but not DSD. When played with Volume Control On (set at 100% inside the Lumin app), DSDs 64 and 128 are automatically converted to DoP at 352.8k; when played with Volume Control Off, the files are output as straight DSD 64 or 128, with sound level dropped by several dbs and the left/right channels reversed. In other words, raw DSD files output direct to the external DAC are flawed. I have tried straight USB output from the U1 to the Holo USB input with the same problem. So Singxer should not be the culprit. Just wonder if other U1 users have noticed the same problem and whether there is a solution to it.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum ppnuts, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by ppnuts View Post
    However, I notice an issue with the U1. All music files, PCM from 44.1k to 384k, work flawlessly but not DSD. When played with Volume Control On (set at 100% inside the Lumin app), DSDs 64 and 128 are automatically converted to DoP at 352.8k; when played with Volume Control Off, the files are output as straight DSD 64 or 128, with sound level dropped by several dbs and the left/right channels reversed. In other words, raw DSD files output direct to the external DAC are flawed.
    Please make sure your U1 is running latest firmware (7.09).

U1 should be used with Volume Control OFF - this will send DSD as DoP. (U1 only supports DoP format, not the newer native DSD over USB format.)

If U1 Volume Control is ON - U1 will convert DSD to PCM, because we cannot manipulate volume for DSD.

I tested U1 USB output to Esoteric N-05 USB input, with Volume Control ON and OFF, with CD and SACD (DSD64) versions of the same album, and a DSD128 music. In all tests I've done I've verified that left/right channels are correct as compared to Esoteric N-05 network input, as well as CD compared to SACD. The volume of CD vs SACD, from U1 with Volume Control OFF, is exactly the same from N-05 balanced output.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin U1